Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm not really sure if Cave Story qualifies (hence my original "?"), since I've never played it, and mostly just wanted to sperg out on Metroidvanias for a minute

:goonsay:

Play Cave Story. Its freeware for the original (best) version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

How's that Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate? Isn't that some sort of Metroidvania?

Not really. It's kind of structured like one but it isn't a very good one. Shallow combat, boring exploration, and in general it's just a very mediocre game. It's one of those 'we wanted to be a Metroidvania but couldn't make a good game" kind of games.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I'm so glad this year is almost over, wrap it up Luigi.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alteisen posted:

http://kotaku.com/1980s-luigi-actor-dies-at-72-1475986590

Actor who played Luigi in the live action show has passed away, in the year of Luigi no less.

The universe sure likes its cruel jokes.

At least he's with Mario now :sigh:.

AASman posted:

If I've never played Star Fox before should I get the 3ds version? I figured it would be cool to play a game that takes place in space and has lasers and ships with a 3d screen. Or is it better to play the n64 original. How much did they change? They don't make it easier or anything do they?

It's awesome fun and looks amazing in 3D, especially on the XL. The only thing that's been outright changed is the voice actors, everything else is identical to the original.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They re-recorded the VA but the actors themselves are almost all the same, I think.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone but Falco is the same, the lines are also delivered in the same silly ways.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, this. They work well separately, but together is just a mess.

What's cool is MGS3 switches to 2D mode during the tilt bits. Every game should be that smart.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

KoB posted:

Play Cave Story. Its freeware for the original (best) version.

The 3DS eShop version is better, in my opinion. Portable, wide screen, and nice (if pointless)3D.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I'm so glad this year is almost over, wrap it up Luigi.

Nobody has been paying tribute to Luigi. That's why the Year of Luigi is one of bloodshed. The Gods (Luigi) are vengeful.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Bread Liar

Alteisen posted:

Actor who played Luigi in the live action show has passed away, in the year of Luigi no less.

It's almost a fitting end to the year of Luigi when you think about it.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is Dark Souls metroidvania? I'd love to see the Soul games on Nintendo.

Also, do people like the web browser on the 3ds? Seems a little slow, Ilike browsing the forums on it though.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Man, I guess it's a bad year to be a sidekick.

quote:

American actor Christopher Evan Welch, best known amongst older gamers for playing Tails in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, passed away December 2, 2013 in Los Angeles at the age of 31.

http://www.thegameeffect.com/news/original-voice-actor-for-miles-tails-prower-dies-at-31

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

AASman posted:

Is Dark Souls metroidvania?

No.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gutcruncher posted:

What's cool is MGS3 switches to 2D mode during the tilt bits. Every game should be that smart.

So does Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (though you can toggle the 3D back on if you want to).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I redeemed a link between worlds code but didn't get any coins. Normal?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You should get your coins in a day or too after redeeming.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

saihate posted:

Also does anyone have recommendations for JP games? I bought Project Mirai 2 off a friend. I'm open to anything as long as the Japanese isn't too difficult. (I'm very rusty and not that great in general)

I got Dragon Quest Monsters and DQ7, both have furigana everywhere or just use hiragana where a more advanced game would use kanji. It's geared for children. If you buy both of those, you also can get a free Fire Emblem if you register them on the Club Nintendo (Japan) site.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

Arcaeris posted:

I got Dragon Quest Monsters and DQ7, both have furigana everywhere or just use hiragana where a more advanced game would use kanji. It's geared for children. If you buy both of those, you also can get a free Fire Emblem if you register them on the Club Nintendo (Japan) site.

Ah thanks! I already have Fire Emblem in English, but that's a pretty neat deal! Especially since I'm not hopeful that those DQ games will come to the West at this point...

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

What's the in-store pickup only horse poo poo? Not a single Best Buy within 50 miles has this in stock, and I don't live in the boonies. Amazon has not price matched, either. Kind of odd.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

RetroHelix posted:

What's the in-store pickup only horse poo poo? Not a single Best Buy within 50 miles has this in stock, and I don't live in the boonies. Amazon has not price matched, either. Kind of odd.

You could try getting Target to price match. They did it for me. Some people have been successful, others have not.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Yay pulled the trigger and got the 3DS as a nintendo refurb. Kind of annoying I got hit with sales tax but whatever, I'm excited. Funny thing is they only had the pink ones left but whatever gently caress it now I am a real man with my pink 3DS :colbert:

Also I forgot to ask is this screen protection kit still the way to be?

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Nintendo-3DS-Screen-Protective-Filter/dp/B008HPAXZ2/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_text_y

Veskit fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 4, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

saihate posted:

Ah thanks! I already have Fire Emblem in English, but that's a pretty neat deal! Especially since I'm not hopeful that those DQ games will come to the West at this point...

You can claim pretty much any first-party game, it doesn't have to be Fire Emblem.

You can also register pretty much any two games in order to receive the free download, and you can do it up to three times, so you're not strictly required to buy those two particular DQ games, either.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 4, 2013

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
Wow that's seriously cool. Is this offer only for a limited time? Guess I should play around with registration once I get around to getting a system.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

saihate posted:

Wow that's seriously cool. Is this offer only for a limited time? Guess I should play around with registration once I get around to getting a system.

Yeah, the promotion ends on January 13. You can see a list of all the eligible games here, pretty much anything that's already out counts towards the promotion. The freebie games are:

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Mario Tennis Open
Kid Icarus: Uprising
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Brain Age: Concentration Training
The 3D Encyclopedia of Flora and Fauna
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone
Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever& New Friends& New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends
Culdcept
Pocket Soccer League: Calcobit
Pilotwings Resort
Starfox 64 3D

Enwelle Anthem
Dec 1, 2013
Ok, so in the end i'm going to buy a 3DS XL, i found one second hand almost perfect.
Any advice on which game to buy first? The seller will give me Castlevania for free with the console, but i read that's pretty lovely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Enwelle Anthem posted:

Ok, so in the end i'm going to buy a 3DS XL, i found one second hand almost perfect.
Any advice on which game to buy first? The seller will give me Castlevania for free with the console, but i read that's pretty lovely.

Kid Icarus: Uprising, A Link Between Worlds, and Super Mario 3D Land are all excellent options.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and either of the Pokemon games aren't bad choices either.

Or something third party?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

There are also Rune Factory 4, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Etrian Odyssey 4 if you are into RPGs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Shin Megami Tensei IV. It is the superior 3DS option.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And if you're European/Australian/NotAmerican, then Bravely Default's out this Friday as well!

Enwelle Anthem
Dec 1, 2013
Shin Megami Tensei V looks awesome, but it's not out in Europe yet :(
Crawfish, i was thinking about these 3 games aswell, but i have no idea what to choose among them. I also looked at the other titles suggested and they all look good... Don't know if i was better a few minutes ago with no clue on what game to grab or now, that i have too many to choose from lol
I'll probably have to aim for the best price/lenght game, so that i won't have to buy another one in one week :P

Enwelle Anthem fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 4, 2013

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Depends on what type of gameplay you like the best.

Fire Emblem is a strategy game with alot of difficulty options in both directions, that is sort of the easiest in the series due to the choice of turning permanent death off and grinding on Reeking boxes or DLC if you can afford them. Some people have issues with the fact that the character models don't have feet, but they are weird people to make that a sizeable issue.

Kid Icarus is one of my favourite games on the system. It's part sort of like Star Fox, part actiony platformer. The downsides are that the controls aren't the best and it's really a 50/50 whether you'll be able to deal with it or whether you'll just give up about it and moan about it on the internet. And the left handed controls are even less comforting, but even then, the game is still beatable at medium difficulty for most of the game. The upsides are that it has a decent story with decent characters and the most decent in size and quality Voice Acting among what Nintendo has put out to be honest.

Super Mario 3D Land is pretty much what you'd expect it to be. 3D Mario in a smaller and much more focused obstacle course type of gameplay, in comparison to the usual playground type of gameplay you've come to known since SM64 came out. The first half of the game is ridiculously easy, but the latter half is challenging enough, with the very last level being rather drat hard.

Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda game for a handheld since the Minish Cap or earlier at the very least, and to some people pretty much the best handheld Zelda. Game is pretty much most of the things you love about ALTTP, put into a 3DS game, seasoned with a light, inoffensive plot, attached to a few unexpected mechanics and twists.

Animal Crossing is hard to explain. It's an AMAZING game if your into that kind of thing and put in some time and effort into the goon community. It could last you a year or you could be bored with it after a week or two. If you've played previous titles in the series, it adds some nice new features that make it far more enjoyable than what came before it, but it a few annoying short comings that will really be a pain in the arse at times.

Pokemon X/Y is Pokemon. It's pretty much exactly what you've enjoyed for the last 15-20 years, but a new type was introduced to counter Dragon and buff Poison and stuff. And they massively overhauled the online trading system and GTS to where they are SO MUCH better now. If i'm being honest, i'd suggest you maybe put this off and wait for the eventual third game, possible sequels or potential remakes, as there was alot of REALLY helpful stuff introduced in B/W 2 that flat out weren't carried on to these games. So it's probably better to wait for the more polished second team game/s.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you like JRPGs the 3DS has had an amazing year for them.

SMT4 is late to EU, but you gets get Bravely Default earlier which should be good, I have an NA 3DS so I haven't played it yet.

Etrian Odyssey 4 is actually a great starting point for the series but it's still pretty old school in the way it does stuff - it's an RPG where you can get a game over on random battles, and you explore dungeons in first person and there's barely a plot. I really, really liked it though.

Fire Emblem was good, was also my starting point to the series and I didn't feel lost at all. Much more focus on the plot, and your sidecharacters can become friends and get their own little miniplots.

Pokemon XY - It's a Pokemon game. drat good one though, and it FINALLY feels like they actually jumped a generation instead of making the same game with slightly improved mechanics.

There's actually more than these RPGs that came out this year too!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm going to travel a lot around christmas to visit my family this year, so I need a game to accompany me on the 3ds for a few days. I'm kind of torn between the new Ace Attorney (I played all 4 of them and AA Investigaions), Bravely Default and the new Zelda game. Any outstanding recommendations for Bravely default so far?

Enwelle Anthem
Dec 1, 2013

Crawfish posted:

Depends on what type of gameplay you like the best.

Fire Emblem is a strategy game with alot of difficulty options in both directions, that is sort of the easiest in the series due to the choice of turning permanent death off and grinding on Reeking boxes or DLC if you can afford them. Some people have issues with the fact that the character models don't have feet, but they are weird people to make that a sizeable issue.

Kid Icarus is one of my favourite games on the system. It's part sort of like Star Fox, part actiony platformer. The downsides are that the controls aren't the best and it's really a 50/50 whether you'll be able to deal with it or whether you'll just give up about it and moan about it on the internet. And the left handed controls are even less comforting, but even then, the game is still beatable at medium difficulty for most of the game. The upsides are that it has a decent story with decent characters and the most decent in size and quality Voice Acting among what Nintendo has put out to be honest.

Super Mario 3D Land is pretty much what you'd expect it to be. 3D Mario in a smaller and much more focused obstacle course type of gameplay, in comparison to the usual playground type of gameplay you've come to known since SM64 came out. The first half of the game is ridiculously easy, but the latter half is challenging enough, with the very last level being rather drat hard.

Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda game for a handheld since the Minish Cap or earlier at the very least, and to some people pretty much the best handheld Zelda. Game is pretty much most of the things you love about ALTTP, put into a 3DS game, seasoned with a light, inoffensive plot, attached to a few unexpected mechanics and twists.

Animal Crossing is hard to explain. It's an AMAZING game if your into that kind of thing and put in some time and effort into the goon community. It could last you a year or you could be bored with it after a week or two. If you've played previous titles in the series, it adds some nice new features that make it far more enjoyable than what came before it, but it a few annoying short comings that will really be a pain in the arse at times.

Pokemon X/Y is Pokemon. It's pretty much exactly what you've enjoyed for the last 15-20 years, but a new type was introduced to counter Dragon and buff Poison and stuff. And they massively overhauled the online trading system and GTS to where they are SO MUCH better now. If i'm being honest, i'd suggest you maybe put this off and wait for the eventual third game, possible sequels or potential remakes, as there was alot of REALLY helpful stuff introduced in B/W 2 that flat out weren't carried on to these games. So it's probably better to wait for the more polished second team game/s.

Thank you very much! After this, and a bit of looking around, i'm more towards buying either Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem, my only doubt is how much gameplay does Animal Crossing bring, i fear that there will be a lot of dead moments where you can't do much and so maybe it won't be the best choice for a first game... Any comment on this? Is this true or not?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm going to travel a lot around christmas to visit my family this year, so I need a game to accompany me on the 3ds for a few days. I'm kind of torn between the new Ace Attorney (I played all 4 of them and AA Investigaions), Bravely Default and the new Zelda game. Any outstanding recommendations for Bravely default so far?
Zelda might be a bit short for what you're looking for. I have put 20 hours into it so far, I'm near the end (I have 1 dungeon and the endgame left, but I'm doing sidequest stuff), but other people here seem to have 100%'d it the day they bought it (with about 12 hours put into it). So I guess YMMV with it. There is a "Hero Mode" available after you beat it once where everything is the same except the enemies hit 4 times as hard. It's a fantastic game, though.

I haven't had a chance to put any time into the Bravely Default demo yet, but the demo is up on the eShop if you want to try it (unless you're in NA - in which case it's not going to be available to you before Christmas anyway).

Enwelle Anthem posted:

Thank you very much! After this, and a bit of looking around, i'm more towards buying either Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem, my only doubt is how much gameplay does Animal Crossing bring, i fear that there will be a lot of dead moments where you can't do much and so maybe it won't be the best choice for a first game... Any comment on this? Is this true or not?
AC is more of a game where you might play it for 30 mins or an hour, do stuff in your town (buy stuff in the shop, look for fossils, pull weeds, plant things, catch bugs, go fishing), then leave it until the next day. Unless you're really into the Community/online aspect, which is fun I guess, but kinda limiting in some ways. I played it a lot for about a month, but then got busy and felt guilty about leaving my town to die a slow death. :(

Enwelle Anthem
Dec 1, 2013
That's exactly what i was fearing... I mean, 100% i'll buy that, i find the whole idea of the game to be awesome, but if i have only one game and i can play that for 1 hour a day then maybe i'm better off buying another one/two before :D

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Enwelle Anthem posted:

Animal Crossing is fine to play daily in small portions. If you're up to doing some chores for your bells, there's plenty of stuff to build/create/tweak. And better if you have friends to show off.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know man. It depends on the person. It's really just a laid back, chill little simulation game where you can do what you want. It starts slow, and since it works on the system clock, it'll be literally days before you can do a whole lot. But how much you get out of it depends on your tastes and what you put into it.

There's a poo poo LOAD of content in the game, but if you don't stay with the game long you will see like....a quarter of what it has to give.

I will say that if you do end up going with Animal Crossing, you really need to spend some time in the thread. I'd even go as far as saying you should join the threads chat. The game is light years better with some what active friends to play along with.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enwelle Anthem
Dec 1, 2013

Crawfish posted:

I don't know man. It depends on the person. It's really just a laid back, chill little simulation game where you can do what you want. It starts slow, and since it works on the system clock, it'll be literally days before you can do a whole lot. But how much you get out of it depends on your tastes and what you put into it.

There's a poo poo LOAD of content in the game, but if you don't stay with the game long you will see like....a quarter of what it has to give.

I will say that if you do end up going with Animal Crossing, you really need to spend some time in the thread. I'd even go as far as saying you should join the threads chat. The game is light years better with some what active friends to play along with.

Dunno, i really like it, and i'm sure that it's a game that will last me a lot, but i fear that i may find myself in situations like "ok, i have to wait X hours for this, i can't do anything in between so let's just shut the DS off."... But,on the other hand, i don't know how long will last me other games, what's their longevity...

• Locked thread