Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Ok, I finally sleeved up murdergoats, save a couple purphoros (which are now much cheaper, and I'm fairly certain I can pick up). I'm ready to get on this goon train and ride it til the next set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Man_alive posted:

I thought that if the rules text referenced the card name, then it was in relation to THAT card, which is where I got the idea that if I dropped a second copy, and ditched the first, you could get around the whole "can't attack" thing.

Nope, if you somehow had timewalk or some other extra turn thing active, Medomai couldn't attack then either.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheLawinator posted:

Nope, if you somehow had timewalk or some other extra turn thing active, Medomai couldn't attack then either.

Well, he is technically correct. "Medomai, The Ageless" on the card text refers to that SPECIFIC Medomai. The problem is that each copy of Medomai has that same "cannot attack during extra turns" effect. So each copy prevents itself from attacking regardless of how the extra turn was obtained.

Pseudodude
Aug 26, 2012
There aren't many promising options in standard, but in modern you can imprint Medomai on a Mimic Vat, attack with Renegade Doppelganger, vat in Medomai mid-combat, copy it and keep the Doppelganger, and repeat every turn.

edit: On further reflection, Volrath's Shapeshifter can do the same trick with the help of either Punishing Fire/Grove of the Burnwillows and/or Deathrite Shaman. Those last three are all real cards and the combo pieces are blue. Could this make for a semi-viable rogue deck for legacy?

Pseudodude fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 4, 2013

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I was trying to make a viable Simic deck and ended up having a lot of fun with Master Biomancer and Zegana. A tournament is coming up and I miss trying to make BUG, so I started brewing! Standard!

Deck: Super Friends

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
2 Forest
1 Island
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
3 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Golgari Charm
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Putrefy
2 Simic Charm
2 Syncopate
2 Thoughtseize
3 Vraska the Unseen

//Creatures
2 Master Biomancer
1 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Pack Rat
3 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
2 Progenitor Mimic
3 Doom Blade
3 Cremate
2 Thoughtseize
2 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Swan Song

Display deck statistics

Got a big toolkit but ultimately I feel it could be useful. Might replace Doom Blade in the sideboard with Abrupt Decay.
Pack Rat and Master Biomancer. :science:
I don't have any card draw outside of Jace. :ohdear: If I'm trying to keep the field clear with all my other spells, I might just end up sideboarding Cyclonic rift and putting in either Divination or Opportunity.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Man_alive posted:

I thought that if the rules text referenced the card name, then it was in relation to THAT card, which is where I got the idea that if I dropped a second copy, and ditched the first, you could get around the whole "can't attack" thing.

They way it's written is something like "Medomai can't attack on extra turns." So yes, it's referring to that specific Medomai, but it's still an extra turn and he still can't attack. If it was something like "Medomai can't attack on extra turns taken due to the above ability," then I'm pretty sure it would work, but that's the stupidest wording I've seen since Animate Dead's Oracle text.

Edit: Oh, there was another page

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I hope someone figures out something to do with him so that someone will want the foil one from my binder. He sits there, taunting me, when he could have been any other foil mythic in Theros.
Give him double-strike or have Aurelia out (though if you've the latter you've probably already won).

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I hope someone figures out something to do with him so that someone will want the foil one from my binder. He sits there, taunting me, when he could have been any other foil mythic in Theros.

You can cheat him in already attacking a few ways that will bypass his attacking restriction. The easier one is probably yore-tiller nephilim and a sac outlet to get Medomai back into the graveyard after attacking each turn. A similar option is to conspiracy him to a creature type that matches with Kaalia's ability and find a way to bounce him to your hand each turn. Both of these are pretty much EDH only options, though.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 5, 2013

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
How is this for a standard sliver deck?

Deck: standard sliver

//Lands
3 Forest
4 Mutavault
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Abandon
1 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
4 Giant Growth
4 Titan's Strength

//Creatures
1 Blur Sliver
1 Bonescythe Sliver
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
1 Galerider Sliver
1 Groundshaker Sliver
4 Manaweft Sliver
4 Megantic Sliver
4 Predatory Sliver
4 Scavenging Ooze
1 Sentinel Sliver
2 Striking Sliver
1 Syphon Sliver
4 Voyaging Satyr

Display deck statistics

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mindisgone posted:

How is this for a standard sliver deck?
Display deck statistics

Thorncaster is really good. He is hellrider sliver basically. You'll be much more consistent if you go gruul or naya slivers. The blue and black slivers really aren't worth splashing colors for in a standard deck imo.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

If I had unlimited time and money I'd try and play a slivers deck with Thorncaster and Bow of Nylea. Stick with Gruul colors, throw in some Garruks and a bit more ramp, you got yourself a deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My Crosis EDH deck from a month or two back is looking a lot better now, but I ordered a few too many random cards to fit in it! The theme of the deck is to steal and/or copy whatever your opponents throw at you, with some graveyard-filling effects to help that end (and cards to utilize that, in turn).

Deck: Crosis EDH

Display deck statistics

Here are the cards I'm trying to fit in:
Butcher of Malakir
Diluvian Primordial
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Nezumi Graverobber

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

So I'm a huge sucker for Zuberas ever since my first brief foray into Magic around Kamigawa. I'm trying to make this not completely awful - keep in mind that I'd like to keep it Modern-legal and budget-friendly, and I don't really care about it making it competitive - it's all about the kitchen-table shenanigans.

Here's the current deck:

Deck: Zuberas!

//Main
4 Ashen-Skin Zubera
4 Barter in Blood
2 Blood Bairn
2 Bloodbond March
3 Devouring Greed
1 Diabolic Tutor
4 Dripping-Tongue Zubera
4 Ember-Fist Zubera
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Floating-Dream Zubera
2 Forest
2 Island
2 Mountain
2 Nameless Inversion
4 Read the Bones
2 Shimmering Grotto
8 Swamp
4 Thief of Hope
2 Unknown Shores

Display deck statistics

The main issue I'm having is mana-base: it's 4-color, so it's pretty inconsistent, and I'd like to fix that.

I tried running 4x Terramorphic Expanse to go with the Evolving Wilds, but I found that it meant I had no lands at all to use late-game. I'm trying 4x Unknown Shores or equivalent now, and it seems a little better. I've also tried Green land fetch, and it's got the problem of being dead in hand late game.

Things I'm considering:
- Nylea's Presence and going heavier Green - the thing I like about this is that it cantrips, so it's not awful late-game
- The UBR and BRG Alara tri-lands and a Simic Guildgate to cover the missing colors

Semi-joke suggestion of Bitter Ordeal since you revolve around setting up a board presence then removing most of it in one turn for value.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Reworked Modern Merfolk with some borrowed Master of Waves:

Deck: Modern Merfolk (feat. MoW)

//Lands
2 Cavern of Souls
14 Island
4 Mutavault

//Spells
4 Spreading Seas
4 Vapor Snag
4 Æther Vial

//Creatures
2 Coralhelm Commander
4 Cursecatcher
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
3 Master of Waves
4 Merrow Reejerey
2 Phantasmal Image
4 Silvergill Adept
1 Thassa, God of the Sea

//Sideboard
3 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Merfolk Assassin
2 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Spell Pierce
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
2 Dismember

Display deck statistics

I'm not entirely sold on Master of Waves as an inclusion, but most of the winning Merfolk decks from the last few weeks have included it and it's not all that difficult to get a pretty high devotion on the table by the time he hits the table so I thought I'd give it a go. I've also included the 2 Coralhelm Commanders I have for devotion and because it continues to see play in a lot of lists even though I'm not all that fond of it. Thassa is the biggest if for me on the whole list, I can see the benefit of having an indestructible 5/5 and scrying, but I'm thinking if I'm going to run a non-merfolk 3 drop I'd rather be playing a Sword of Fire and Ice, which I'll probably end up doing unless Thassa playtests super well.

I'm also trying out Merfolk Assassin in the sideboard because there's been a surge in Merfolk players at my LGS so the likelihood of me hitting the mirror match is pretty high and they've usually come down to who wins the roll to go first/who hits a turn 1 Vial. It might be too slow/cute and I'll cut them for 2 Spell Snare before FNM starts if not as many of them show up.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
You might want to fit a Bident in there somewhere.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

C-Euro posted:

My Crosis EDH deck from a month or two back is looking a lot better now, but I ordered a few too many random cards to fit in it! The theme of the deck is to steal and/or copy whatever your opponents throw at you, with some graveyard-filling effects to help that end (and cards to utilize that, in turn).

Deck: Crosis EDH

Display deck statistics

Here are the cards I'm trying to fit in:
Butcher of Malakir
Diluvian Primordial
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Nezumi Graverobber

I'm not a huge fan of Loxodon Smiter in your deck, the trample might be nice to let you hit with Crosis, but you should be able to steal or kill most anything that could block. I'd rather see Sword of Body and Mind or Trepanation Blade to help fill up the graveyard in that slot.

8 Counterspells is a lot of counterspells. It might be more of a personal preference, but I like to have just a few (2-3) counterspells that I can tutor up to use as silver bullets if necessary (I'm a fan of Spell Crumple and Hinder for putting difficult Commanders away). This is especially true if you actually want stuff on the board to copy and steal. Counterspell and Forbid are your best two, the rest are kind of a toss up.

I've tried running Gather the Specimens but I can count on a fingerless hand the number of times I had the combination of 6 open mana, a creature worth stealing hitting the table, and actually having Gather in hand.

You can cut out Drake Skull Cameo without hurting your mana base all that much.

ScarletBrother posted:

You might want to fit a Bident in there somewhere.

Bident is a bad fit with Merfolk for a lot of reasons, the biggest being that it costs 4, which is why I'm skeptical of Master of Waves. By the time I get Bident down and get some benefit out of it I should have already won and if I haven't my opponent is probably doing something that drawing cards isn't going to help with. Cost issues aside, I'd rather be running Coastal Piracy since it's not Legendary and I get no benefit from having my opponent swing with everything.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BXCX posted:

Bident is a bad fit with Merfolk for a lot of reasons, the biggest being that it costs 4, which is why I'm skeptical of Master of Waves. By the time I get Bident down and get some benefit out of it I should have already won and if I haven't my opponent is probably doing something that drawing cards isn't going to help with. Cost issues aside, I'd rather be running Coastal Piracy since it's not Legendary and I get no benefit from having my opponent swing with everything.

Bident is a bad fit, but Master of Waves is definitely worth it. Its such a powerful over-the-top card. Though I only run 3 as I dont want that many 4's clogging up my deck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Fair points. I was just basing my comment off of Sam Black's modern merfolk which ran 1 or 2 Bidents. You guys know better than me. I think Master is probably worth it though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Considering switching from BW midrange to black devotion, can that work competitively without Nykthos, Temple of Deceit and only one Mutavault. Don't think I've seen one with less than 2 Mutavault, Nykthos seems optional since it doesn't really use the ramp.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Considering switching from BW midrange to black devotion, can that work competitively without Nykthos, Temple of Deceit and only one Mutavault. Don't think I've seen one with less than 2 Mutavault, Nykthos seems optional since it doesn't really use the ramp.

Nykthos seems like it'd be easy to leave out, I don't remember anything in that deck being all that mana-intensive unless you wanted to pitch your entire hand to Pack Rat in one turn or something weird like that. The only problem I forsee is something like that where you want to play a ton of cards in one turn. Maybe it would make Whip activations tougher to consistently hit?

E:

BXCX posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Loxodon Smiter in your deck, the trample might be nice to let you hit with Crosis, but you should be able to steal or kill most anything that could block. I'd rather see Sword of Body and Mind or Trepanation Blade to help fill up the graveyard in that slot.

8 Counterspells is a lot of counterspells. It might be more of a personal preference, but I like to have just a few (2-3) counterspells that I can tutor up to use as silver bullets if necessary (I'm a fan of Spell Crumple and Hinder for putting difficult Commanders away). This is especially true if you actually want stuff on the board to copy and steal. Counterspell and Forbid are your best two, the rest are kind of a toss up.

I've tried running Gather the Specimens but I can count on a fingerless hand the number of times I had the combination of 6 open mana, a creature worth stealing hitting the table, and actually having Gather in hand.

You can cut out Drake Skull Cameo without hurting your mana base all that much.

All good points, except 1. I'd rather not waste what few tutor effects I have on counterspells, so I think cutting my deck down to two or three is a little much, and 2. Gather Specimens allowed me to put a stone cold owning on a really good Krenko deck to win my first ever EDH game, so that stays. I know you're never going to draw every card that you want to in an EDH game but it's particularly good against infinite token combos or cards like Living Death.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 6, 2013

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

C-Euro posted:

All good points, except 1. I'd rather not waste what few tutor effects I have on counterspells, so I think cutting my deck down to two or three is a little much, and 2. Gather Specimens allowed me to put a stone cold owning on a really good Krenko deck to win my first ever EDH game, so that stays. I know you're never going to draw every card that you want to in an EDH game but it's particularly good against infinite token combos or cards like Living Death.

That's fair, different play styles and all, maybe just drop Cancel and Psychic Strike since they're the least exciting of the bunch?

Krenko is definitely one of the situations where Specimens can be really great, if I started seeing decks like those locally I'd probably start running it too.

ScarletBrother posted:

Fair points. I was just basing my comment off of Sam Black's modern merfolk which ran 1 or 2 Bidents. You guys know better than me. I think Master is probably worth it though.

Were you looking at this one? I'd never seen that before and it's an interesting concept, it's not my speed but I'd be interested to see if it develops into something more substantial.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Went 3-0-1 with Goats at FNM, for first place (Tied in the third round, and I got paired up for the final round so had better breakers).

The list I was running:

Quick thoughts:
- Yes, I need another two Blood Crypts, and probably a Mutavault or two.
- I really like the Gnawing Zombies in the aggro matchup - being able to make a goat, block with it, and then sacrifice it to leave your opponent down one and you exactly where you started is a lot more handy than doing two to them and taking one yourself.
- Not a huge fan of Molten Birth. It's certainly fun, but I'm not really feeling as though it's especially effective.
- What are people's thoughts on including a 1-of Codex Shredder for Trading Post shenanigans? Maybe too cutesy?
- The scry on Magma Jet is usually better than the extra damage on Lightning Strike - decks with Nightveil Specter are really the only exception. (Admittedly, that's a lot of the meta at this point.)

I don't really remember how the matches went, but against aggro it was basically kill everything they play until sticking either Trading Post or Young Pyromancer, and then keep them from establishing board presence while grinding out a win. The draw was against Esper, got revved out game 1, game 2 was really stupid (we both ended up topdecking lands for about 8 turns each after I Slaughter Games his Revelations, until finally I was able to burn him out), and then time was called as we were sideboarding for game 3.

Definitely a very fun deck to play.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Jabor posted:

Went 3-0-1 with Goats at FNM, for first place (Tied in the third round, and I got paired up for the final round so had better breakers).

The list I was running:

Quick thoughts:
- Yes, I need another two Blood Crypts, and probably a Mutavault or two.
- I really like the Gnawing Zombies in the aggro matchup - being able to make a goat, block with it, and then sacrifice it to leave your opponent down one and you exactly where you started is a lot more handy than doing two to them and taking one yourself.
- Not a huge fan of Molten Birth. It's certainly fun, but I'm not really feeling as though it's especially effective.
- What are people's thoughts on including a 1-of Codex Shredder for Trading Post shenanigans? Maybe too cutesy?
- The scry on Magma Jet is usually better than the extra damage on Lightning Strike - decks with Nightveil Specter are really the only exception. (Admittedly, that's a lot of the meta at this point.)

I don't really remember how the matches went, but against aggro it was basically kill everything they play until sticking either Trading Post or Young Pyromancer, and then keep them from establishing board presence while grinding out a win. The draw was against Esper, got revved out game 1, game 2 was really stupid (we both ended up topdecking lands for about 8 turns each after I Slaughter Games his Revelations, until finally I was able to burn him out), and then time was called as we were sideboarding for game 3.

Definitely a very fun deck to play.

Congrats on the win! Re: codex shredder - if you've got Rakdos' Return in the yard I bet it could lend a bunch of inevitability, but honestly I think Pithing Needle is a better choice. Stops target permanents, and if threat number one changes you can sac/recur it for a card. Glaring Spotlight might also be handy against hexproof?

I've been a bit less keen on Molten Birth lately too, though it has won me a couple of games through just getting to cast it two or three times in one turn.

Have you tried running Relentless Rats? could be another token generator and fantastic creature, and the synergy with Mutavault doesn't hurt either. I'm not entirely sure the all-the-removal deck is the best one for it but it could help prevent dead draws.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 6, 2013

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
Jabor I really like the sideboard, I am sure it helped you more then once during the night. You run a lot of low damage burn with shocks and like the like, did you find yourself drawing lets say 2 or 3 shocks when you need it? My issue with goats is the large Blood Baron presence at my LGS which is why I want to run 4 Mortars but getting the scry from magma jet and helping it with some shocks seems like its also a good way to go.

Molten Birth has been responsible for winning most of my games but somehow I agree with everyone that it can probably go.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't understand the Murdergoats deck. How does it win? What are the lines of play? I just can't really wrap my head around it other than generating a lot of tokens and then slowly sacrificing them with Tymaret for a win via slow burn? I guess Trading Post has always been a weird card for me.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

Siets posted:

I really don't understand the Murdergoats deck. How does it win? What are the lines of play? I just can't really wrap my head around it other than generating a lot of tokens and then slowly sacrificing them with Tymaret for a win via slow burn? I guess Trading Post has always been a weird card for me.

The win is definitly a grind no doubt. Your really only going to win standard if you have Purphoros out with Tymaret for 4 damage everytime a token is generated.
The most damage I have done with this deck has been with Purphoros, slamming Molten Birth down when I have a young pyro or 2 out is at least 6 damage and 2 tokens which is great even if you lose the flip.

I feel the burn in this deck needs to be well balanced for the local meta of where its being played to really be successful but it is so much fun to play.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Mindisgone posted:

The win is definitly a grind no doubt. Your really only going to win standard if you have Purphoros out with Tymaret for 4 damage everytime a token is generated.
The most damage I have done with this deck has been with Purphoros, slamming Molten Birth down when I have a young pyro or 2 out is at least 6 damage and 2 tokens which is great even if you lose the flip.

I feel the burn in this deck needs to be well balanced for the local meta of where its being played to really be successful but it is so much fun to play.

I would think the removal suite as a whole needs to be tailored for your meta, the other cards can be somewhat generic. Like there's no way I would play 3 doom blades and 4 Magma Jets in my meta, they would be awful as mono-Black is everywhere.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Alright I had this idea brewing in me for years, ever since I got Trash for Treasure as my first foil (back then as a kid I didn't know what artifacts really did except for the Tooth of Chis-Gora), and it's basically a really weird Tron WUBRG list - any advice is good, but I don't want to really play pure Tron, I want to play some gimmicky bullshit!

Modern Tinker

//Creatures/Targets
1 Etched Monstrosity
1 Steel Hellkite
3 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Sundering Titan
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Legacy Weapon

Enablers (Instants and Sorceries)
4 Grisly Salvage
3 Thoughtseize
4 Commune with the Gods
4 Mulch
2 Drown in Filth
3 Trash for Treasure

Mana sources (lands/artifacts)
2 Pentad Prism
2 Talisman of Impulse
4 Prismatic Omen
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Gemstone Mine
1 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower

The idea is simple, dump fatties in the GY, put them back with Trash for Treasure, smash face and have fun. Weak and gimmicky? Yes, but I just want to faff about in Modern now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mindisgone posted:

Jabor I really like the sideboard, I am sure it helped you more then once during the night. You run a lot of low damage burn with shocks and like the like, did you find yourself drawing lets say 2 or 3 shocks when you need it? My issue with goats is the large Blood Baron presence at my LGS which is why I want to run 4 Mortars but getting the scry from magma jet and helping it with some shocks seems like its also a good way to go.

Molten Birth has been responsible for winning most of my games but somehow I agree with everyone that it can probably go.

The meta here is pretty aggro-heavy, so the shocks and jets were doing good work. I think even if they're not hitting creatures, sending them at your opponent's face to pressure their life total and get more tokens off the Pyromancer is a totally fine plan.

If I was expecting a lot of Blood Baron game 1 I'd probably drop some of the Lightning Strikes for Mortars - the scry from Magma Jet is often more helpful than getting a third point of damage, and Mortars is still fine for killing 3-toughness creatures. 2-for-1ing yourself with Shocks and Magma Jets is suboptimal, but sometimes you just have to do it. (Against Esper it's probably a perfectly fine line to play - against BW midrange, not so much). I really like Shock in the deck even if it is just going to the dome - the deck is so heavy on the even-numbered mana costs that you often cast it with mana that would otherwise go to waste. If you did decide to drop the Shocks I'd be looking to find some other 1- or 3-drops to smooth out the curve - Guttersnipe perhaps?

Jabor fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 7, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Well, this has some spicy cards I haven't seen in a while (Legacy Weapon!!!). Your "engine" has to produce BGR on a pretty regular basis, plus UW for abilities on your fatties if you choose to use them. Maybe a few more rainbow lands instead of grove or the some of the darksteel citadels? My other first thought was to get some Expedition maps, so could go on the Tron into Wurmcoil plan if you wanted to. But, this deck might have a home for Life from the Loam. You're certainly going to be dumping a bunch of lands into the bin, and the Dredge 3 if you get a LftL in there is pretty solid as well.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Well, this has some spicy cards I haven't seen in a while (Legacy Weapon!!!). Your "engine" has to produce BGR on a pretty regular basis, plus UW for abilities on your fatties if you choose to use them. Maybe a few more rainbow lands instead of grove or the some of the darksteel citadels? My other first thought was to get some Expedition maps, so could go on the Tron into Wurmcoil plan if you wanted to. But, this deck might have a home for Life from the Loam. You're certainly going to be dumping a bunch of lands into the bin, and the Dredge 3 if you get a LftL in there is pretty solid as well.

I might dump some Darksteel Citadels for a few more required lands, since Pentad Prism would be fine to sac with for TfT, and Loam sounds pretty good, I might a few Mulchs or Communes for at least 2-3 Loams - I can still cast the off color fatties if I need to, since Prismatic Omen allows me to play ALL the colors! Would Reflecting Pool be another rainbow land to add, because not a lot are coming to mind other than that and Gemstone Cavern and City of Brass.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 7, 2013

Pseudodude
Aug 26, 2012
Kaleidostone and Prophetic Prism might be the fixers you want, because they're good fodder for Trash for Treasure as well. Even Chromatic Star or Terrarion, if you want to curve artifact into enabler into TfT. Mesmeric Orb and/or Open the Vaults are also options, but that's starting to move towards a different deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Boxn posted:

Alright I had this idea brewing in me for years, ever since I got Trash for Treasure as my first foil (back then as a kid I didn't know what artifacts really did except for the Tooth of Chis-Gora), and it's basically a really weird Tron WUBRG list - any advice is good, but I don't want to really play pure Tron, I want to play some gimmicky bullshit!

Modern Tinker

The idea is simple, dump fatties in the GY, put them back with Trash for Treasure, smash face and have fun. Weak and gimmicky? Yes, but I just want to faff about in Modern now.

If reanimating artifacts from your graveyard is your gameplan then I'm not sure why you're not running four copies of TfT.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Pseudodude posted:

Kaleidostone and Prophetic Prism might be the fixers you want, because they're good fodder for Trash for Treasure as well. Even Chromatic Star or Terrarion, if you want to curve artifact into enabler into TfT. Mesmeric Orb and/or Open the Vaults are also options, but that's starting to move towards a different deck.
After working with this rough cut, I'll try out Prism, Star or Terrarion, they sound pretty good.

C-Euro posted:

If reanimating artifacts from your graveyard is your gameplan then I'm not sure why you're not running four copies of TfT.

I don't know what to cut, that's the problem - I might have too many self-milling cards, but I just threw this deck up yesterday, so I'll proxy the rough copy, and start altering stuff when I test irl and in cockatrice. I'll probably need 4 copies though.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you're relying on Prismatic Omen for your mana color fixing, the Sundering Titan might backfire on you a bit depending on the opponent. Maybe switch that to sideboard?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Legacy Weapon doesn't seem to mesh well with the mill/reanimation plan either.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

Jabor posted:

The meta here is pretty aggro-heavy, so the shocks and jets were doing good work. I think even if they're not hitting creatures, sending them at your opponent's face to pressure their life total and get more tokens off the Pyromancer is a totally fine plan.

If I was expecting a lot of Blood Baron game 1 I'd probably drop some of the Lightning Strikes for Mortars - the scry from Magma Jet is often more helpful than getting a third point of damage, and Mortars is still fine for killing 3-toughness creatures. 2-for-1ing yourself with Shocks and Magma Jets is suboptimal, but sometimes you just have to do it. (Against Esper it's probably a perfectly fine line to play - against BW midrange, not so much). I really like Shock in the deck even if it is just going to the dome - the deck is so heavy on the even-numbered mana costs that you often cast it with mana that would otherwise go to waste. If you did decide to drop the Shocks I'd be looking to find some other 1- or 3-drops to smooth out the curve - Guttersnipe perhaps?

I think Guttersnipe would be nasty in this deck, especially they way you play it. It should be a faster killer then anything else out there.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Mindisgone posted:

I think Guttersnipe would be nasty in this deck, especially they way you play it. It should be a faster killer then anything else out there.

I'm not sure what to take out of the deck to make room for Guttersnipe . He's a 2/2 for 3 that does nothing on the turn you cast him.
I can't think of a situation in which I'd want him on the board over an additional Young Pyromancer.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What are the Temples of Deceit for in monoblack devotion decks? I get that the "free" scry can often be useful, but I don't see why it's never Temple of Silence. As I see it the second colours are for use with Spectre, is blue regarded as better for this? I was actually thinking of taking Temples of Silence and possibly some Godless Shrines so I could run Blood Baron in the side for the mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Monoblue is incredibly prominent in the Meta and Temples of Deceit let you cast some of their dudes via Nightveil Specter.

• Locked thread