Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

EPG made a great front page article about Lexus commercials two years ago, which were even worse than the ones we have now. They operated under the assumption that everyone knows the "Lexus December to Remember" jingle.

Speaking of holiday car commercials, what the gently caress, Honda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mgkcXs7_M

Michael Bolton? Is the CEO one of ten people alive who like his music or something?

Someone at Honda really must've loved his Jack Sparrow bit on SNL and thought "this is how you sell cars to young people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh my loving god, has anyone else seen that K-MArt "skipping" commercial? I want to hurt everyone involved in that.

On the subject of lovely KMart Commercials, an abridged version of this one was playing on Pandora or Spotify a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpb37WY0eA incredibly obnoxious.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Y-Hat posted:

EPG made a great front page article about Lexus commercials two years ago, which were even worse than the ones we have now. They operated under the assumption that everyone knows the "Lexus December to Remember" jingle.

I remember last year we had a go at the Lexus jingle commercials in this thread, and I am so glad they are not running this year. The tune is still in the background, but it's not the entire point of the commercial.

My new most hated commercial: dudes in Joe Boxer underwear jingling their loving balls.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
That Dijore super model commercial has a loving annoying song that sounds like it belongs in a Barbie toy commercial.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The Ad Council has been pumping out some pretty lovely commercials lately.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Gaunab posted:

The Ad Council has been pumping out some pretty lovely commercials lately.

Lately?

They're always pumping out poo poo, like those awful TV Boss commercials with the concerned parent V-chipping some guy/group that represents a mature TV show because their child might see it and its too violent so the TV show people get upset. I get the message they're trying to get across but its just done in such a piss-poor manner. Whatever happened to just shooing the kid out when you want to watch mature/adult programming?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
"You're a nice lady" makes me chuckle.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Vistaprint's holiday cards commercial has reached change the channel level for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOIS-RHtO28
The song is just terrible.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
what the HELL is with this cell phone commercial they keep playing where the kid drives 8 hours home on a bus because his dog is dying???

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That commercial bugs the hell out of me. His girlfriend (wife?) texts him that she needs to talk to him, and that it's important. He tells her in no uncertain terms "yeah whatever, i'll call you later" and then puts his phone down to go play videogames for hours on end.

Then he gets another text saying his dog is dying? Hundreds of miles away with the person who texted him? Why does he live so far away from his dog and his girlfriend/wife? Perhaps it's his mother texting him, and the dog they're referring to is the family dog, which would explain why he has to travel so far to get to it because perhaps he lives nowhere near his hometown anymore?

That commercial makes zero loving sense and is far, far too convoluted for a product that sells itself.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 4, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I thought it was his mom and he's in college? Or am I just filling in blanks

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

ElwoodCuse posted:

I thought it was his mom and he's in college? Or am I just filling in blanks

Yeah, it's his mother calling to tell the guy his dog is dying but, jesus, what a depressing premise to sell a phone.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Okay, THAT premise makes more sense. But still, getting a text from your mother, who says she needs to talk right away and that it's important, and then telling her to piss off while you go play videogames makes the kid in that commercial a real piece of poo poo. And like Grin & Tonic said, using dying animals to sell a loving celluar phone is just morbid and wrong.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Gonz posted:

Okay, THAT premise makes more sense. But still, getting a text from your mother, who says she needs to talk right away and that it's important, and then telling her to piss off while you go play videogames makes the kid in that commercial a real piece of poo poo. And like Grin & Tonic said, using dying animals to sell a loving celluar phone is just morbid and wrong.

It doesn't make him a piece of poo poo - going away to college is the traditional time to "cut the apron strings" and wean off of being in constant contact with parents. It's completely normal behavior to work on keeping them at arm's length, especially moms who constantly want to check in to see if you're doing ok. This is an established trope of both reality and fiction about the "going away to college" experience.

That said, I do hate the commercial because it's manipulative and it always makes my sensitive girlfriend cry. It's still not quite as bad as this dead dog ad, but it's close.

I also like how much the kid resembles Trayvon once he's in the bus stop, in his hoodie. I keep expecting George Zimmerman to come out and blast on him when he's just trying to get home to Buddy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It doesn't make him a piece of poo poo - going away to college is the traditional time to "cut the apron strings" and wean off of being in constant contact with parents. It's completely normal behavior to work on keeping them at arm's length, especially moms who constantly want to check in to see if you're doing ok. This is an established trope of both reality and fiction about the "going away to college" experience.

Oh, I get what you're saying, and I agree. But if I got a text from my mother and it seemed urgent, the least I could do is text her right back and ask her what the problem was/is, not be like "pffft, whatever, talk to you later, lady", then go play videogames like some sort of unconcerned robot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Spoken like someone who's never gotten an "urgent" text from mom that turned out to be the exact opposite of urgent :v:

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
What is the annoying rear end commercial with the indie-sounding girl singing "me oh my hey hey me oh my" in the background? It might be for webhosting or something, but I can't stand it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Nerdfest X posted:

My new most hated commercial: dudes in Joe Boxer underwear jingling their loving balls.

gently caress that commercial. Because nothing gets me in the Christmas spirit more than a bunch of guys with ringing testicles.

I like how they're off-sync at the beginning.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There used to be a series of radio ads for a Kia dealership in my hometown with a guy impersonating Obama and they were so horrendous I swear they were mocking him in some way.

Also, Florida Lottery has the worst radio ads for the holidays. More of that "rewriting Christmas songs" crap and sometimes they seem to go on forever. I haven't heard any this year but that's because I don't listen to the station that broadcasts them often.

Count me in as another Lexus ad hater too.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 5, 2013

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Just an FYI, I've seen new "GIFfing out" ads starting tonight. I'm not linking them because, well, gently caress them. I don't want to seek them out, and y'all certainly don't want to see them. Did KMart fire the "ship your pants" ad company or something?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Zeether posted:

Also, Florida Lottery has the worst radio ads for the holidays. More of that "rewriting Christmas songs" crap and sometimes they seem to go on forever. I haven't heard any this year but that's because I don't listen to the station that broadcasts them often.

I don't know whats worse rewriting Christmas songs or rewriting songs so they are about Christmas, there's a commercial out there that rewrote the Addams Family Theme to be about Christmas. Neither the Addams Family nor any horror elements are featured in the commercial they just reused the tune with no context. The only link is that a family is in both and there was an Addams Family Christmas special once that has jack to do with commercial.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The commercial for Fast Six that says it'll donate to Paul Walker's charity. I guess I'm jaded because the first thing I thought was loving vultures since he just died.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

The commercial for Fast Six that says it'll donate to Paul Walker's charity. I guess I'm jaded because the first thing I thought was loving vultures since he just died.

Yeah, that's kind of a weird commercial. I guess maybe it would be weirder to have the high-action commercial they would have had if Paul Walker hadn't just died, but I dunno, I feel like maybe he would have wanted it that way.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRibRj770J8

Someone honestly needs to die because of this commercial. Possibly several people.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I can't find it but there's a commercial being recycled again this year by Infinity that just bothers me. It has a family piling into an SUV and someone says, "I hope we make it." Then an old guy talks about some 40 year old tradition to keep. The family arrives at this huge mountain compound to hang an ornament that lights up the entire forest. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason this ad irks the poo poo outta me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

raditts posted:

Yeah, that's kind of a weird commercial. I guess maybe it would be weirder to have the high-action commercial they would have had if Paul Walker hadn't just died, but I dunno, I feel like maybe he would have wanted it that way.

Yeah, if you've been following (or have the posts shared to you, like what's happened with me) the Fast Family cast members Facebook pages, they're all pretty much in shock about this, especially Tyrese Gibson. Them donating profits to the Hainan Typhoon fund is probably in keeping with the spirit.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

B.H. Facials posted:

I can't find it but there's a commercial being recycled again this year by Infinity that just bothers me. It has a family piling into an SUV and someone says, "I hope we make it." Then an old guy talks about some 40 year old tradition to keep. The family arrives at this huge mountain compound to hang an ornament that lights up the entire forest. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason this ad irks the poo poo outta me.

I hope those people get snowed in at their stupid cabin and turn into popsicles

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LeafyOrb posted:

I don't know whats worse rewriting Christmas songs or rewriting songs so they are about Christmas, there's a commercial out there that rewrote the Addams Family Theme to be about Christmas. Neither the Addams Family nor any horror elements are featured in the commercial they just reused the tune with no context. The only link is that a family is in both and there was an Addams Family Christmas special once that has jack to do with commercial.

Yeah, when it comes to Christmas songs I'm a permanent grumpy old man about remakes/rewrites/re-whateverthefucks, always have been. I don't want to hear your lovely pop jingles cleverly rewritten with mass-marketed holiday lyrics, I don't want a classic carol remixed to a funky hip-hop beat, I don't want some hair-metal has-beens squealing out a power ballad version of something written for a 40s crooner, and I sure as gently caress don't want Michael Bolton trying to sell me cars with whatever passes for a catchy tune out of his noise hole. I want every blessed thing I grew up with to stay EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS.

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Ghost of Motherfucking Christmas Past :ssj:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Capn Beeb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRibRj770J8

Someone honestly needs to die because of this commercial. Possibly several people.

I actually like these ads, they seem to be mocking the people they are marketing towards without said people necessarily realizing. What is your problem with them?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Totes, adorbs, amazeballs, just terrible things people say.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

Sometimes it feels like commercials are written by professional human being impersonators for people that don't exist.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Arschlochkind posted:

I've seen the Pawn Stars one too, and it just made me think "Well I guess Chromebooks aren't that bad." Those "scroogled" ads are like the new I'm A PC/I'm A Mac.

I had the Pawn Stars one appear while watching news this morning. :geno:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Kaizoku posted:

I actually like these ads, they seem to be mocking the people they are marketing towards without said people necessarily realizing. What is your problem with them?

Maybe I'm cynical but it really feels like it's ramming home how asinine 90% of this poo poo is. It's too easy for me to imagine the two of them reading the scripts before hand and asking if people really say this poo poo.

I can totally understanding hating the material, though. And anything that's repeated ad nauseam.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 5, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

B.H. Facials posted:

Wasn't that the Lexus commercial we were talking about earlier? I guess those "cars for white people with way too much money" commercials all blend together for me.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

raditts posted:

Wasn't that the Lexus commercial we were talking about earlier? I guess those "cars for white people with way too much money" commercials all blend together for me.

hahaha thank you. I was so sure that was a Lexus commercial but thinking back on it I honestly can't say now

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

I guess the reason you dislike them is pretty much the exact reason I like them. That's fair.

meatsaw posted:

Maybe I'm cynical but it really feels like it's ramming home how asinine 90% of this poo poo is. It's too easy for me to imagine the two of them reading the scripts before hand and asking if people really say this poo poo.

I can totally understanding hating the material, though. And anything that's repeated ad nauseam.

No, it's definitely ramming home how asinine the phrases are. And I can sadly say, there isn't a term in that ad that I don't hear said in earnest at least once a week. But hey, it's better than that valley girl poo poo that was going on twenty years ago.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Kaizoku posted:

I guess the reason you dislike them is pretty much the exact reason I like them. That's fair.

No, it's definitely ramming home how asinine the phrases are. And I can sadly say, there isn't a term in that ad that I don't hear said in earnest at least once a week. But hey, it's better than that valley girl poo poo that was going on twenty years ago.

Yeah, I find it kind of hard to actually hate a commercial that is actively making fun of people who talk like that by elevating it to this level

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Vicas posted:

hahaha thank you. I was so sure that was a Lexus commercial but thinking back on it I honestly can't say now

It's Infiniti. So, Nissan's version of Lexus.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

There seems to be a pattern here of Japanese luxury car manufacturers trying to compete with ze Germans by making some of the most obnoxious commercials imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah, I totally believe it is. It's just amazing to me that these companies are so bad at this that I can't even properly remember an ad I hate

They aren't even winning the "bad enough to be memorable" award