Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Seifer managed to have a relatively believable, even relatable character arc in a game where the next closest thing we got was "Autism McBadass and Underdeveloped Girlchild 'Princess' fall in love because *~destiny~*" So of course he was totally forgotten after the start of the second disk, because we gotta focus on that Real Romance (tm).

Not to say that Seifer wasn't kind of a shithead, but he was a shithead in the way that an interesting teenage character would be, rather than Squall who is just entirely unapproachable or Zell who is entirely stupid.

The important difference is in the presentation. We watch Seifer and go "Heh, yeah, teenagers are dumb, even when they're passionate about what they think is right." But at the same time the game tries to get us to watch Squall and go "Man, that totally antisocial rear end in a top hat is fuckin' awesome! He's such a loner, and nobody understands him! That makes him the coolest, plus in the end he gets the girl and everybody in his school likes him and even his teachers respect him as a leader."

It's just so juvenile, I can't even feel embarrassed about liking it when I was fifteen, because it's perfectly formulated to appeal to stupid fifteen-year-olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The Machine posted:

The style of sprites for the iOS/Android games looks like such awful, cheap, amateur garbage. I have a huge soft spot for FF6 but with the way it looks in the upcoming releases, I'm just going to avoid it.

Goddamnit, Square-Enix. Get your poo poo together.

They could at the very least orchestrate the music to add some value to it like they did with KH 1.5. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The music used in the SNES Final Fantasies is perfect IMO and I'm glad that all the remakes haven't bothered with trying to gussy them up with real instruments.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

1st AD posted:

The music used in the SNES Final Fantasies is perfect IMO and I'm glad that all the remakes haven't bothered with trying to gussy them up with real instruments.

The FFVI Grand Finale soundtrack disagrees with you.

Plus, they had the option to switch between original and remixed music for the FF4 PSP remake.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

But at the same time the game tries to get us to watch Squall and go "Man, that totally antisocial rear end in a top hat is fuckin' awesome! He's such a loner, and nobody understands him! That makes him the coolest, plus in the end he gets the girl and everybody in his school likes him and even his teachers respect him as a leader."
But that's not the case? E.g. there's no way the "then go talk to a wall" scene could ever portray him as anything but uncool and far from well-adjusted. The other characters like him by default because he's good-looking and talented, just like in real life. The theme around him involves growing to accept their love/respect and becoming worthy of it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

So is Zell intentionally stupid?

See, I always thought that Zell was secretly smarter than he let on. More often than not, he's the only party member who knows things about where they are/are going, and what the deal with said place is. When heading to/in Timber, the Underwater Research Facility, the prison (though that was more Ward's doing but hey), and Esthar too I think, he's the one who gets the monologue about the place and how it relates to the rest of the world. And his spiel at the research facility kinda makes it seem like he's legitimately interested in that sort of stuff, to the point where I can kind of imagine him reading up on the place.

I think his problem as a character is just his brashness and temper, and like Cid said, if he'd learn to control his emotions better, he'd probably come off a lot better.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Zell literally forgets he can punch people in the prison. That's all you need to draw your own conclusions about him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krad posted:

Zell literally forgets he can punch people in the prison. That's all you need to draw your own conclusions about him.

He chokes on a pile of hotdogs during the end credits. The man is literally stupid enough to choke on his favorite food.

Zell is the best character in FF8 is what I'm saying.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

He chokes on a pile of hotdogs during the end credits. The man is literally stupid enough to choke on his favorite food.

Further proving my point that his brashness and enthusiasm is his downfall. :colbert:

Krad posted:

That part, however, I totally forgot about. Stupid FFVIII, and it's inconsistent characterization.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Krad posted:

I thought he had a line where is basically says "I'm fine without gear but the rest of you really need your gear" before they escape. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

That part, however, I totally forgot about. Stupid FFVIII, and it's inconsistent characterization.

This would imply there is any characterization going on in the game other than a love of hotdogs, trains, getting hired to do a job you've failed at over and over again, and being a terrible teacher.

Then a JBallad plays and you realize that monsters from the moon impacting the planet is totally irrelevant in the face of time paradox love.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Italax posted:

I thought he had a line where is basically says "I'm fine without gear but the rest of you really need your gear" before they escape. Maybe I'm misremembering.
No, that's in there and it's why there's a short segment where you play as him solo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

People harp on Quistis being a bad teacher, or Seifer being a failure, but where it all really begins is with Robin Williams and the whole dumbass school. It's not Quistis' fault some moron decided to promote a 17 or 18-year-old to tech people her age or even older. Similarly, Seifer probably wasn't exactly ever taught anything about proper discipline as they made him the head of the Disciplinary Committee.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Italax posted:

That's what happens after Zells wishes they still had their weapons with them so they could escape.

Then either Quistis or Selphie goes "you can use your fists. :geno:"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Krad posted:

That's what happens after Zells wishes they still had their weapons with them so they could escape.

Here's the exact line:

Quistis: "Well, we can't rely on magic here, so we have to go with weapons. We
have to somehow get them back..."

Zell: (Weapons... My weapons are these fists o'mine! I could do some serious
damage without weapons! It's up to me, baby!) "Let me go. I'll go get the
weapons back!"

I'm actually more perturbed by the supposed 'anti-magic field' doing diddly-squat even before they lift it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
What did they even mean by disciplinary committee? When I played, I figured that was just some title Seifer made up to try and make him and his friends seem cool.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Momomo posted:

What did they even mean by disciplinary committee? When I played, I figured that was just some title Seifer made up to try and make him and his friends seem cool.

Think Japanese hall monitors.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Krad posted:

Best part of Azure's old FFVIII LP were the gifs made by a poster in the thread.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ApplesandOranges posted:

Here's the exact line:

Quistis: "Well, we can't rely on magic here, so we have to go with weapons. We
have to somehow get them back..."

Zell: (Weapons... My weapons are these fists o'mine! I could do some serious
damage without weapons! It's up to me, baby!) "Let me go. I'll go get the
weapons back!"

I'm actually more perturbed by the supposed 'anti-magic field' doing diddly-squat even before they lift it.

Wasn't there something more before those lines? Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was!

He still could've punched the guards at any time.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

quote:

Famed character designer Akihiko Yoshida is no longer with Square Enix, FF-Reunion reports.

According to a message in The Art of Bravely – Bravely Default artbook – Yoshida left the company back in November but he’ll still provide work for the series, likely on a freelance basis.

Yoshida joined Square back in 1995 and lent his skills to such titles as Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII and more recently Final Fantasy XIV. He will also be providing the character design for Bravely Second, due out in the future on 3DS. Yoshida did not provide an explanation for his departure, but his first known non-Square Enix freelance project is Knights of Glory by mobile game publisher Cygames.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fanatasy-vagrant-story-character-designer-akihiko-yoshida-departs-square-enix/
(Photo of message): https://twitter.com/kohichan/status/408506305817477120/photo/1

So that makes Yasumi Matsuno, Hitoshi Sakimoto, and Akihiko Yoshida as the core Tactics Ogre/Quest team that has left SE. That leaves Hiroshi Minagawa who is working on FFXIV:RR. I think Masaharu Iwata became a freelancer after creating Basiscape and wasn't a formal Squaresoft employee.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

And suddenly the series will see an influx of noses.

Momomo posted:

That's what I always thought. None of those three were SeeDs, so they wouldn't have had any real authority.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Sunning posted:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fanatasy-vagrant-story-character-designer-akihiko-yoshida-departs-square-enix/
(Photo of message): https://twitter.com/kohichan/status/408506305817477120/photo/1

So that makes Yasumi Matsuno, Hitoshi Sakimoto, and Akihiko Yoshida as the core Tactics Ogre/Quest team that has left SE. That leaves Hiroshi Minagawa who is working on FFXIV:RR. I think Masaharu Iwata became a freelancer after creating Basiscape and wasn't a formal Squaresoft employee.

Sad to see him leave but I'm guessing he'll still do lots of work for Square-Enix. He's artstyle serves the Final Fantasy franchise very well.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FF8 is on Steam now, if anyone wants to take a bullet.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39150/

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

1st AD posted:

Yes and no. Yes the music was perfect, but modern updates with real instruments have all been just as good or even better (ex: the gilgamesh song in FF12)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

iastudent posted:

Holy poo poo, it has the Chocobo World Pocketstation stuff. :stare:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

iastudent posted:

How can anyone say no after all the praise it gets from us? :v:

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Krad posted:

How can anyone say no after all the praise it gets from us? :v:

The best Final Fantasy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Baron posted:

The best Final Fantasy.

Is that an achievement because that's a perfect burn on the games end plot and how awesome the leveling system is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
...Huh, maybe Square finally are learning something. Admittedly, that's easier than playing the game normally but, y'know, at least it's an achievement for something significantly more involved than "did the first tutorial."

Which looking at the list here gives you two achievements. :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If...if this does well, maybe they'll bring IX to Steam! The Good FF on steam would be pretty great!

Yeah, that's how I'll justify this purchase.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

...Huh, maybe Square finally are learning something. Admittedly, that's easier than playing the game normally but, y'know, at least it's an achievement for something significantly more involved than "did the first tutorial."

Which looking at the list here gives you two achievements. :v:

Theres one for Draw 100 magic aka "level up once"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Theres one for Draw 100 magic aka "level up once"

Who uses Draw to get magic in that game? I'd have to go out of my way to do that!

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy poo poo, it has the Chocobo World Pocketstation stuff. :stare:
No joke, that's tempting me

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

quote:

Magic Booster

When Magic Booster is used, the player’s inventory of the following spells is increased by 100:

Cure, Cura, Curaga, Fire, Fira, Blizzard, Blizzara, Thunder, Thundara, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Bio, Esuna, Aero, Confuse, Break, Zombie

This feature can be used from the launcher.
What the hell?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Who uses Draw to get magic in that game? I'd have to go out of my way to do that!

Well you need to draw until you get enough AP to just turn things into cards so for I'd say the first 20 minutes of the game.

poo poo, I'm about to buy this game on PC aren't I?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bholder posted:

What the hell?

It's an easy mode button. FF7 PC has something similar as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's an easy mode button. FF7 PC has something similar as well.

Easy mode would be 100 Triple, 100 Haste, 100 Holy War. This is just "eh, its nice mode"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's not that big of an easy mode button, really. FF7 gave you basically max everything; this one just gives you some magic. More than enough to coast through, but any magic does that, but it's not stuff that completely trivialises everything ever.

There is a complete lack of Meltdown in that list after all.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What I want to know is if the music is still the lovely MIDI format of the original release or have Square wised up after enough people complained about FF 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dragonatrix posted:

There is a complete lack of Meltdown in that list after all.

No Full-Life or Aura either.