Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Andrast posted:

There is also Increased Wasteland Spawns, which is fully configurable and also fantastic.

This is absutely great and I cannot go back to not having it. At higher spawn rates it can turn fiend territory into a goddamn war zone. Kind of breaks the game from a loot perspective though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

CJacobs posted:

NV falls victim sometimes to the same problem a lot of open world "morality-based" games do. Your options in relation to quest-giving conversation usually boils down to:

1. Sure, I'd be glad to help!
2. I GUESS I'll do it but I'd better get paid.
3. No, gently caress off.
4. Future unclear, ask again later.
(optional 5). Ave Caesar! <attack>

Because those are really the only ways it can play out. You can be a total dick in this game and still reap most of the rewards because karma matters exactly nil and your character's personality can change on a dime, which is certainly humorous but functionally indifferent to playing it the 'normal' accept-all-quests way.

You have the option of a highly profitable betrayal for most quests. For example, it's entirely possible to do the entire Brotherhood quest-line for Power Armor training and then walk upstairs, turn on the defense turrets, and reset their targeting parameters to wipe them all out (obviously you still have to go into the lower bunker and kill everyone manually but you get the idea).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As I posted above from the lead developer of FO3, Tenpenny's presence is supposed to indicate that Britain is worse off.

Fallout 3 isn't canon so Tenpenny's presence is moot.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Fallout 3 isn't canon

...since when?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Kind of breaks the game from a loot perspective though.
As if it isn't already kinda broken. I'm level 50 right now, so naturally anyone I see is basically a walking loot bag just waiting to die. Combine that with the fact that the commissaries in Lonesome Road regenerate money whenever they get under 100 caps, and I just sell every single gun I come across that I don't want, and I'm rolling around in money right now. All that gold I dragged back from Dead Money is just sitting around being useless. The gigantic gun mod I got added a .50MG minigun to Gun Runners for around 260,000 caps and it won't be long at all before I can haul that around, as if the .308 minigun isn't OP enough. Deathclaws just flop over dead as it is anyway. Still got to go rummage around in the NCR and Legion wreckage too.

...And I haven't even talked to Benny yet.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

D34THROW posted:

...since when?

The only Canon fallout is Wasteland!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

D34THROW posted:

...since when?

Since he didn't like it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It is garbage, to be fair. Just dogshit. Very poor.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

D34THROW posted:

...since when?

If there is justice in the world? When they give full control of the series to Obsidian. Or if they hopefully treat the entirety of 3 as some extremely broad strokes version or heavily romanticized version of what happened there. You know, just assume any specifics from it are canon if they're mentioned elsewhere. Like Tactics. Give them some extra wiggle room for dealing with the worse parts of what they wrote, like maybe the android thing was less some really human like robot and more a real basic android that only looks human if it has a trench coat on or something otherwise being sort of obviously nonhuman.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

xanthan posted:

If there is justice in the world? When they give full control of the series to Obsidian. Or if they hopefully treat the entirety of 3 as some extremely broad strokes version or heavily romanticized version of what happened there. You know, just assume any specifics from it are canon if they're mentioned elsewhere. Like Tactics. Give them some extra wiggle room for dealing with the worse parts of what they wrote, like maybe the android thing was less some really human like robot and more a real basic android that only looks human if it has a trench coat on or something otherwise being sort of obviously nonhuman.

Yeah, and then after they sign over all rights to Obsidian for free (on the condition that all future sequels are isometric turn-based, obviously) they're going to apologize to all the true Fallout fans for their horrible mistakes. Todd Howard will mention Little Lamplight in his tear-stained suicide note, and UNNNGHHHHH :fap:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Pretty sure the European Alliance and the Middle East nuked and destroyed each other right before China and the USA had their Great War, and with all the massive nuclear fallout storms going round the world from so many nukes, even places not touched directly by nuclear warheads (Say, Africa, probably got irradiated and suffered mass loss of life.

Yeah, Europe was hosed before the Great War even happened. They had a small nuclear war with the ME, after many years of conventional war. It would be awesome if Sawyer's tactical game in pre-war Europe ever happened.

I wonder about the southern hemisphere. Australia/NZ might've gotten off light, South Africa, Argentina, Chile. There's not really any reason any of them would've been involved in the war. But Fallout nukes don't follow real science so who knows.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is it when I kill outstanding evil people the game frowns at me and I get hit with bad karma?

Benny got crucified, I gave no shits. Fucker shot me in the head, ambushed me when I was weaponless, and then ran off to be with That One Clearly Evil Faction out on their island.

House got disconnected because for whatever dumb reason you can't use diplomacy to tell him the Brotherhood of Yuri Lowenthal (seriously, every male down there was him!) can join the fight. I wasn't about to kill all of them, so I flipped all the tables in the Lucky 38. And here I am, with more negative karma.

So the game wants you to let the blatantly evil people live... why, again?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I kind of view House as a giant dickhead and he's always the first to die in my games, but I get why he'd want the Brotherhood dead. He's a technological overlord using an army of gadgets and robots. Their religion literally says "The only tech allowed is our tech". They were not going to be able to coexist.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ChibiSoma posted:

Benny got crucified, I gave no shits. Fucker shot me in the head, ambushed me when I was weaponless, and then ran off to be with That One Clearly Evil Faction out on their island.

House got disconnected because for whatever dumb reason you can't use diplomacy to tell him the Brotherhood of Yuri Lowenthal (seriously, every male down there was him!) can join the fight. I wasn't about to kill all of them, so I flipped all the tables in the Lucky 38. And here I am, with more negative karma.

So the game wants you to let the blatantly evil people live... why, again?
yeah man crucifixion is painless and beating your helpless naked boss to death with a golf club is a fairly common step in the Hero's Journey, no reason anyone would consider you a bad person for that

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A man chooses, a slave obeys. :smug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

House is the only NPC in the game that is both considered an abomination and gives you bad karma for murdering him, which I always thought was cute. I think the idea the developers were going for is that just because someone is an rear end in a top hat, it doesn't make them evil.

Seriously, name one actual 'evil' thing he does that isn't entirely in self-defense.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wolfsheim posted:

Seriously, name one actual 'evil' thing he does that isn't entirely in self-defense.

Shooting a guy to death for running up to the Strip gates while being poor?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I kind of view House as a giant dickhead and he's always the first to die in my games, but I get why he'd want the Brotherhood dead. He's a technological overlord using an army of gadgets and robots. Their religion literally says "The only tech allowed is our tech". They were not going to be able to coexist.

House is a giant dickhead and I really don't get why you get negative karma for killing him, but the Brotherhood are equally giant dickheads and I kind of have to force myself to not kill them. In the first game they send you on a literal suicide mission in the hopes that you'll die of radiation sickness and are completely unsure of what to do when you manage to survive. In the second game they're only friendly to the player because they want to figure out where the Enclave is getting its advanced technology and take it from them. And between FO2 and New Vegas they went full-on fascist and tried to conquer California, getting their asses kicked in the process. I mean, don't get me wrong, a monastic order of technology-worshipping zealots in power armor is pretty cool, but they're still dicks.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

StandardVC10 posted:

Look man, when you post a battalion of murder-bots at your front door and say "Please don't try to break in or my murder-bots will kill you" that's pretty much on the other guy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

The Courier guns down about five or so every time they walk through Freeside.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm gonna work for a scheming rear end in a top hat, I want to at least work for a pleasant scheming rear end in a top hat. Yes Man's much more tolerable to be around. Read on the NV wiki that there was apparently an option to Speech Check your way into getting House to play nice with the BoS, but it was removed.

If I had known how much this mostly busted-rear end Power Armor they gave me would cost to repair, though, I may have flushed the bunker after all. :mad: I don't have 8000+ caps, man! And I suck at Blackjack, so I can't cheese it that way!

Need to go raid some places or somethin'. Find some guns to sell. I need to find more guns with armor-piercing rounds anyway, maybe I'll run across some of those as well.

Need to look into what guns have armor piercing options. My Varmint Rifle isn't cutting it at L20. It's nice to have when clearing areas with rats and mantises and poo poo since I have a silencer on it, but everything else brushes it off. If I'm gonna be fighting Super Mutant Masters I need real options. Hiking up that hill for the BoS was rough as gently caress because I didn't have any good AP options.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bogart posted:

A man chooses, a slave obeys. :smug:

A man chooses Obsidian. A slave obeys Bethesda.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

ChibiSoma posted:

Need to go raid some places or somethin'. Find some guns to sell. I need to find more guns with armor-piercing rounds anyway, maybe I'll run across some of those as well.

Need to look into what guns have armor piercing options. My Varmint Rifle isn't cutting it at L20. It's nice to have when clearing areas with rats and mantises and poo poo since I have a silencer on it, but everything else brushes it off. If I'm gonna be fighting Super Mutant Masters I need real options. Hiking up that hill for the BoS was rough as gently caress because I didn't have any good AP options.

Head down to south vegas and kill some feinds, you'll be swimming in laser rifles before you know it. As for weapons you could try for the Q-35 matter modulator or ycs/186. They're both pretty easy to get once you know where they are; the latter in particular will one-shot just about anything you find for a good chunk of the game. Only drawback is they use up MF cells for ammo which tend to be scarce early on, but if you've already allied with the BoS then you should have an effectively unlimited supply (the ammo chest in the bunker that restocks every few days).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Look man, when you post a battalion of murder-bots at your front door and say "Please don't try to break in or my murder-bots will kill you" that's pretty much on the other guy.

We've had this discussion before, but I'm pretty sure that just because it's "on the other guy" to not approach the murder-bots, doesn't mean it's moral to deploy them in such a manner to begin with.

Byzantine posted:

The Courier guns down about five or so every time they walk through Freeside.

That's self-defense, just like it is when the Securitrons start attacking you when you move to kill House. More or less anyway. Unlike most of the rest of the things House does. Even if you accept the assumption that House is playing a zero-sum game from the start (with regard to the motives of the Legion and the NCR,) that still leaves the morality of his other actions in the game really subjective. Which is one of the things that makes New Vegas' plot so interesting - it really does depend on where you're standing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

House is a giant dickhead and I really don't get why you get negative karma for killing him, but the Brotherhood are equally giant dickheads and I kind of have to force myself to not kill them. In the first game they send you on a literal suicide mission in the hopes that you'll die of radiation sickness and are completely unsure of what to do when you manage to survive. In the second game they're only friendly to the player because they want to figure out where the Enclave is getting its advanced technology and take it from them. And between FO2 and New Vegas they went full-on fascist and tried to conquer California, getting their asses kicked in the process. I mean, don't get me wrong, a monastic order of technology-worshipping zealots in power armor is pretty cool, but they're still dicks.

The first one, they weren't planning to kill you. I mean, if you walked up past the pile of corpses into a radioactive sinkhole, then died, that's on you.

They just wanted you to gently caress off and stop bothering them. Beyond that, they didn't give much of a drat.

They're shocked because they just asked you to do the obviously impossible and you came back a few weeks later asking if that was it.

You want dickbag brotherhood behavior, Tactics is the go-to.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh come on, that guy at the front door of the Brotherhood snickeringly tells you to go to these specific coordinates to find a mysteeeeeeerious treasure, and then those coordinates turn out to be The Glow. He certainly did want to kill you. For a laugh.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ChibiSoma posted:

If I'm gonna work for a scheming rear end in a top hat, I want to at least work for a pleasant scheming rear end in a top hat. Yes Man's much more tolerable to be around. Read on the NV wiki that there was apparently an option to Speech Check your way into getting House to play nice with the BoS, but it was removed.

If I had known how much this mostly busted-rear end Power Armor they gave me would cost to repair, though, I may have flushed the bunker after all. :mad: I don't have 8000+ caps, man! And I suck at Blackjack, so I can't cheese it that way!

Couple things:

-If you want to repair armor on the cheap, level up Repair to 90 and select Jury Rigging. It enables you to repair any weapon or armor with any other type of weapon/armor in its class, so you can easily repair Power Armor with a relatively cheap set of metal armor, or an M1 Garand with a lever-action rifle :downs:

-How are you at level 20 and still using the Varmint Rifle :psyduck: Literally every weapon you've come across by this point is far better in almost every category. If you're using intent on Guns, go find yourself a Trail Carbine, Hunting Rifle, or a Hunting Shotgun. If you want a really good gun, swing by the NCR base at Camp McCarren and talk to either a guy named Sgt. Contreras or a woman named Lt. Boyd. You'll thank me later.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Read on the NV wiki that there was apparently an option to Speech Check your way into getting House to play nice with the BoS, but it was removed.

This would only be acceptable if it worked like the Tenpenny Tower quest where your Speech Check bullshit falls apart as soon as you leave.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

SpookyLizard posted:

Just suck down a couple of turbos and leg it to the front gate. It's not hard (that note is bullshit though). Or use the SECRET ENTRANCE.

That said, its nice to have an Air Force base that is actually base sized and not a postage stamp or something. Makes it feel right.

The note is not bullshit, once you see a guide with pictures (or a video walkthrough) it makes sense. You run to the first ruined house, crouch in the corner with the highest wall until the explosions stop, run to the next ruined house, repeat, until done. Once you know how you can do it without being hurt at all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DeathChicken posted:

Oh come on, that guy at the front door of the Brotherhood snickeringly tells you to go to these specific coordinates to find a mysteeeeeeerious treasure, and then those coordinates turn out to be The Glow. He certainly did want to kill you. For a laugh.

I don't remember him snickering, I remember him seeming hesitant, like he knew what he was supposed to tell me but wasn't comfortable with it. Also I might be remembering wrong, but with a high speech skill can't you get him to admit that the Glow is irradiated?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The note is not bullshit, once you see a guide with pictures (or a video walkthrough) it makes sense. You run to the first ruined house, crouch in the corner with the highest wall until the explosions stop, run to the next ruined house, repeat, until done. Once you know how you can do it without being hurt at all.

This is absolutely unnecessary, you can just hug the drat rock wall and you only have to hunker down and wait twice

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

Look, he just thought you could be the Last Dragon, alright?

...I really want to see an Unarmed run of NV on the hardest difficulty now.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-How are you at level 20 and still using the Varmint Rifle :psyduck: Literally every weapon you've come across by this point is far better in almost every category. If you're using intent on Guns, go find yourself a Trail Carbine, Hunting Rifle, or a Hunting Shotgun. If you want a really good gun, swing by the NCR base at Camp McCarren and talk to either a guy named Sgt. Contreras or a woman named Lt. Boyd. You'll thank me later.

Because I've had absolutely horrible luck in finding weapons, and I'm too broke to buy any! I want some GRA stuff, since it's pretty sweet-looking, but holy god drat is it expensive!

For all the poo poo I'm hauling around, there's not a lot of powerful things in my weapons list. I can't help it, I prefer playing stealth characters. The amount of silenced weapons is pathetic, though. I want to go through a place and kill everything in it without being seen. Thing is, I have no idea how loud or quiet weapons are. Is it just one or the other? Either it's silenced or it's noisy and everything can hear it? Energy weapons are fairly quiet, but I dunno if I can use them without being noticed.

So my options are no stealth or using poo poo weapons, apparently. Sadly, the Varmint Rifle does better than the 9mm and 10mm silenced weapons I have. Until I run across something with more power that can have a silencer modded on, it's literally the best I have. Even outside that, though, I don't think I have a single fuckin' thing that can do more than 30 damage.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

ChibiSoma posted:

I want some GRA stuff, since it's pretty sweet-looking, but holy god drat is it expensive!

This mod adds GRA goodies to the leveled lists, as well as notes giving you an idea where to look for safes containing a shiny new weapon :toot:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ChibiSoma posted:

Because I've had absolutely horrible luck in finding weapons, and I'm too broke to buy any! I want some GRA stuff, since it's pretty sweet-looking, but holy god drat is it expensive!

For all the poo poo I'm hauling around, there's not a lot of powerful things in my weapons list. I can't help it, I prefer playing stealth characters. The amount of silenced weapons is pathetic, though. I want to go through a place and kill everything in it without being seen. Thing is, I have no idea how loud or quiet weapons are. Is it just one or the other? Either it's silenced or it's noisy and everything can hear it? Energy weapons are fairly quiet, but I dunno if I can use them without being noticed.

So my options are no stealth or using poo poo weapons, apparently. Sadly, the Varmint Rifle does better than the 9mm and 10mm silenced weapons I have. Until I run across something with more power that can have a silencer modded on, it's literally the best I have. Even outside that, though, I don't think I have a single fuckin' thing that can do more than 30 damage.

You've got to be a troll. Every gun in the game is better than the Varmint rifle. The sole exception is the .22 pistol. There is no luck involved in improving upon it!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Silenced weapons aren't especially more useful for stealth kills in areas where enemies are already hostile to you - if you're crouched and take a potshot at a hostile target that hasn't clued in to you being there, that enemies pals will still start looking around for what killed their buddy whether your weapon is silenced or not, and not having a silencer doesn't make it easier for them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

caleramaen posted:

You've got to be a troll.

Definitely. Look at his previous posts if you're unsure. Literal children are more competent (and literate) than the person portrayed by ChibiSoma's posts. He is trolling.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not that I'm defending trolling or whatever, but the Varmint Rifle and Ratslayer own loving bones when they're repaired and have their mods on.

(Ratslayer has a crit damage multiplier of loving x5 how can you not love that)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

CJacobs posted:

Not that I'm defending trolling or whatever, but the Varmint Rifle and Ratslayer own loving bones when they're repaired and have their mods on.

Ratslayer is an entirely different affair and I will defend its use to the ends of the earth. :colbert: Varmint Rifle is goddamn useless, though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CJacobs posted:

Ratslayer is okay because of the crit multiplier, the Varmint Rifle doesn't have that so it is not okay at all. Certainly not at level 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Unmodded, the Varmint Rifle also has a really ugly texture. :colbert: