Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Also, anyone traveling to, in town or locals who have annual passes, the delayed 'live' taping of Christmas parade that is going to be televised will be taped this Friday & Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

Look on the bright side, the parks are freaking dead now in the lull between holidays. I am looking across the street at the main parking lot for Sea World and normally it is filling up by now but if they have half of one lane full I would be calling it a stretch. It's overcast and foggy but that never keeps people from going to the park.

BBS how long are you in town for?

Just until Sunday. A little under a week.

Today was mildly busy, but nothing horrible, and I've heard it will drop tomorrow since today is the last day for people lingering after Thanksgiving. I set foot in my first park at 4pm, and by 1am, I went on at least 12 attractions in two parks with almost no wait on any of them. I did have some FastPass reservations, but I feel that's a good first day.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Oh poo poo they closed down Haunted Mansion yesterday for rehab.. also there is a shortage of turkey legs but they are being substituted with tofo salad. Ooh and due to the high cost of pineapple the Dole Whips are no longer being served but they will sell vanilla ice cream instead with sprinkles.

Is the Mansion really closed for rehab? How long? I'm heading down this Sunday for a week and I want to ride the Mansion as much as possible. Small World will be closed for rehab for most of my visit and I'm loving giddy about it. Weather isn't going to be hot enough where the AC in Small World will be needed in the middle of the day.

E: I do like It's A Small World, if you like Disney you can't avoid liking it. But my son likes to ride it over and over and after the 5th time I want to kick babies.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

Is the Mansion really closed for rehab? How long? I'm heading down this Sunday for a week and I want to ride the Mansion as much as possible. Small World will be closed for rehab for most of my visit and I'm loving giddy about it. Weather isn't going to be hot enough where the AC in Small World will be needed in the middle of the day.

E: I do like It's A Small World, if you like Disney you can't avoid liking it. But my son likes to ride it over and over and after the 5th time I want to kick babies.

I was just pulling BBS's leg. But something is probably inevitably under rehab..

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

demonR6 posted:

I was just pulling BBS's leg. But something is probably inevitably under rehab..

Oh absolutely, especially in the off peak months.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/rehab.htm

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Douchebag posted:

I think my kid is broken. She loves the Carousel of Progress and I catch her singing "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" while she's playing with toys.

She also said something no kid has said ever. "Next time we go to Disney World can we go to the Hall of Presidents?"

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That is not a good sign at all.. especially the Hall of Presidents. I will pray she does not ask you to spend the day at Epcot else it may herald the end of days.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Happitoo posted:

I think my kid is broken. She loves the Carousel of Progress and I catch her singing "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" while she's playing with toys.

She also said something no kid has said ever. "Next time we go to Disney World can we go to the Hall of Presidents?"

My daughter (9) loves the Carousel of Progress, but I can't get her to understand the pure joy of the Hall of Presidents.

Of course the best thing in Magic Kingdom for her is how often her dad ends up being "That Guy" on the Laugh floor.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I'm taking my son for the third year in a row (vacation club addicts that go every year) for Christmas and his 6th birthday and this will be a huge year of firsts for the entire family.

We have never stayed for any of the fireworks shows. This year we will do at least Illuminations and the MK shows. My son doesn't like loud noises so I bought a child's set of NASCAR ear muffs. I'm not playing around this year. We are seeing fireworks. I have dinner reservations at Rose and Crown and I'm going to grease the hostesses palm for patio seats to watch illuminations.

I'm also determined to do the Carousel of Progress AND Hall of Presidents, by myself if I have to. I don't care if they aren't awesome, it's Disney and they do everything great.

Test Track (closed the past 2 trips), new Fantasyland, the Very Merry Christmas Party and my best friends wedding (yup a Disney wedding to boot). All firsts.

Also was that poster serious about no Dole Whip?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I really don't understand Test Track.

It's a car simulator. And it goes 45 miles per hour.

How is that a ride?

edit: Sorry, it simulates a sedan going a maximum of sixty-five miles per hour!!! Where else could you find such a thrill?

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 4, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DNova posted:

How is that a ride?

edit: Sorry, it simulates a sedan going a maximum of sixty-five miles per hour!!! Where else could you find such a thrill?

Well, if you are renting a car here you have your choice of driving down State Road 419 or the Beachline Expressway then on to Interstate 4. You are now sharing the road with clueless tourists from around the globe who cannot drive worth a poo poo in their country but some rental agency here gave them a brand new car and they are usually not paying attention to the road at speeds well above 70 at times and careening all over the place! THAT is way better than test track and you stand a good chance of dying in a fiery car wreck..

Welcome to Orlando!

Sair
May 11, 2007

DNova posted:

How is that a ride?

I was pretty baffled by how popular that is too. Mission Space is way more fun.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

DNova posted:

How is that a ride?

Goes mildly fast = thrill ride = "There's no thrill rides in Epcot, let's ride Test Track, that's a thrill ride!"

I like it, but I can see how people could be bored by it. :shobon:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I kinda liked it before but the refresh made it even worse. I didn't think that was possible.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Haggins posted:

I kinda liked it before but the refresh made it even worse. I didn't think that was possible.

I'm an old cranky lady who misses the hell out of World of Motion... :(

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I get what you're saying; there's no real reason for it to be fun, but I enjoy it anyways. I like the new version better but I miss the campiness of the old one too :/ fun fact, it opened a year ago today. Unless of course someone just said that, I'm on my phone so I haven't read everything yet.

One neat thing about TT is that it goes backstage so if you wanna see Cast Member only areas it's pretty cool.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I got to go to an after hours party last night in Pixar Place at Hollywood Studios, and they had Toy Story Mania open and we could ride as much as we wanted, which was neat. What was really interesting is one of the meet and greets they had set up. Roaming around the party was the Toy Story versions of Barbie and Ken, but they were face characters. The girl playing barbie wouldn't open her fingers and Ken was an arrogant rear end. It was kind of amazing. I overheard a woman tell Barbie she had her as a kid and Barbie was like "I remember, we had such good fun."

Stop cutting onions, Disney Cast Members. It's not cool.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Rahonavis posted:

This reminds me. Is anyone else starting to get annoyed at the level of Disney trading on nostalgia for poo poo they don't have anymore? Like obviously that's pretty much Disney's thing in general, like bring your kids and relive fun times you had as a kid. But a lot of their merchandising now is just for poo poo that doesn't exist anymore.

For recent examples they released t-shirts celebrating the 30th anniversary of Horizons, and a Christmas shirt with Dreamfinder on it. Not to mention tons of pins/vinylmation with with stuff like 20,000 leagues under the sea, the communicore robot etc.

Meanwhile things like the Wonders of Life pavilion and 2nd floor of Imagination sit empty. Like they're like "look at the cool poo poo we had" but at the same time leaving a bunch of stuff to rot. It's kind of sad.

I love Disney World it's just a shame that they seem to be trading so much on past glory while neglecting what currently exists. Hopefully with the addition of Avatar/whatever is being done with Star Wars it will allow for improvement on some of the existing areas too.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I haven't been on the new Test Track yet, but I loved the old one. Everything leading up to the outdoor section was a lot of fun, even if a bit cheesy. I never saw it all as a thrill ride, just a ride. Even the outdoor section was set up in such a way that it was fun. Not really thrilling, but fun.

That being said, I wouldn't wait more than about 20 minutes for it.

As for the nostalgia stuff, I would absolutely love it if they brought back the original Dreamfinder version of Journey Into Imagination. I can see why they sell the merchandise, though. People buy that stuff for the same reason they buy nostalgia versions of sports shirts.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Happitoo posted:

Meanwhile things like the Wonders of Life pavilion and 2nd floor of Imagination sit empty. Like they're like "look at the cool poo poo we had" but at the same time leaving a bunch of stuff to rot. It's kind of sad.

Wonders of Life is used for events on and off, but last I knew Disney asked for a partial demo permit on it... but that was also a few years ago too, I think. So it's not just sitting completely empty, it's just rarely used. 2nd floor of Imagination is pretty empty though, just storage. Starcade's 2nd floor at Disneyland has a huge X-wing fighter but you can't get up to it anymore, and Innoventions at Disneyland has a second floor that hasn't been used afaik in ages, too. And for a park that complains about not having enough space to do what it wants, you'd think they'd have every inch of usable floorspace in use.

It's sad to see older stuff go but it's neat to see the new stuff and the promo stuff for the new stuff. So I don't really have a problem with them having nostalgia merchandise. It'd be neat if they put something together at Epcot to let you "ride" the old stuff via simulator. Surely there's plenty of videos out there.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 7, 2013

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I got to go to an after hours party last night in Pixar Place at Hollywood Studios, and they had Toy Story Mania open and we could ride as much as we wanted, which was neat. What was really interesting is one of the meet and greets they had set up. Roaming around the party was the Toy Story versions of Barbie and Ken, but they were face characters. The girl playing barbie wouldn't open her fingers and Ken was an arrogant rear end. It was kind of amazing. I overheard a woman tell Barbie she had her as a kid and Barbie was like "I remember, we had such good fun."

Awesome. Characters have some of the best opportunities for hilarity/fun/guest harassment. I remember spending many an hour watching the mobile trash can guy harass people. But the best one has to be at Universal Studios in Islands of Adventure. Being the guy that controls that dickish fountain has got to be the most fun job in existence if you like tormenting people.

I'm allowed to be a little callous when it comes to laughing at people who are getting hosed with in this manner. When I was just over the age that I wanted anything to do with characters, my parents took me to an Aladdin character breakfast. The Genie and Jafar noticed my disdain and took it as a sign that I needed to be harassed. I've taken it with the best of them.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

HPanda posted:

As for the nostalgia stuff, I would absolutely love it if they brought back the original Dreamfinder version of Journey Into Imagination. I can see why they sell the merchandise, though. People buy that stuff for the same reason they buy nostalgia versions of sports shirts.

This is... sadly pretty unlikely. The opening setpiece was something they always had problems with, and it's unlikely they're going to try and tackle it again. The most you (and I!) could hope for is a new version with the same characters, which I'd be totally down for. Better than what they have there now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Circutron posted:

This is... sadly pretty unlikely. The opening setpiece was something they always had problems with, and it's unlikely they're going to try and tackle it again. The most you (and I!) could hope for is a new version with the same characters, which I'd be totally down for. Better than what they have there now.

There was talk several months back that sometime in early 2014, they'd close the ride and gut it to do something else. Of course, nothing has confirmed any of that, so it's probably not happening. I had heard they thought of building a ride using the trackless technology that is getting big use in the Asian Disney Parks (in Japan's Winnie the Pooh and Hong Kong's new Mystic Manor) and they'd bring back Figment at the very least (Come on, Dreamfinder. You deserve more than a pun on a door in the queue)

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Circutron posted:

Another fun fact: a lot of the original mechanics of the turntables are still there, under the current ride. It was easier to just cement and build over top of them then to get rid of them completely.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Rahonavis posted:

Same here! That ride was awesome.

I also miss the original Universe of Energy song.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm just gonna toss out that yall can like whatever you like, but nothing beats Carousel of Progress and the day it closes forever will be a terrible day. not have a great big beautiful tomorrow after it. :colbert:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

That ride has been around forever, so I imagine it won't ever be destroyed. At the very least, it will be brought somewhere else (like it was brought from Disneyland to WDW when WDW opened)

It's basically Walt summed up in an attraction, so I doubt they'd just toss it.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

That ride has been around forever, so I imagine it won't ever be destroyed. At the very least, it will be brought somewhere else (like it was brought from Disneyland to WDW when WDW opened)

It's basically Walt summed up in an attraction, so I doubt they'd just toss it.

It's got to be on its last legs where it currently is though. That ride takes up a massive chunk of space in Tomorrowland with minimal ridership. If ever there is a plan to expand/enhance the Magic Kingdom again you'd have to expect it'll get a good, hard look.

Luckily it looks like nothing will happen for at least the next 5 years or so, which is a good thing (I really like it too due to its history). I can't see it lasting another MK expansion though.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Carousel of Progress might be a ride that sticks around as long as Disney World itself. I remember a few years back when it was only open seasonally, but they still wouldn't close it completely. It's just too closely associated with Disney's legacy.

Besides, it might still fill up during the super peak times. It's an attraction that only needs a couple cast members to run and can handle a pretty huge number of guests. Of course, I've never seen more than about one row's equivalent of people in each section of the theater.

On a side note, it is outstanding for hot days.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Carousel of Progress is nice to take a few moments to relax. It's never insanely busy (but i have seen a theater almost fill up once or twice) and the show is one of those things that is old, but at the same time i truly enjoy it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I never skip Carousel of Progress when I go. It's really creaky, but I enjoy it up until the final scene where we learn what the world will be like 10 years ago. They could spend the time and money to update the final scene and I think that'd justify its existence for the next several years. Or better yet, place it in the late 70s/early 80s at the dawn of the age of information so it never becomes outdated.

Also, if something need to be razed to make room for a Tomorrowland expansion, I can't imagine a better sacrifice than Tomorrowland Speedway.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
There have been plans on the table to get rid of Autopia at Disneyland, so that's actually kind of a possibility.

Echoing the love for Carousel of Progress. It's one of my favorites. Part of me will always love that ride for it's unwavering optimism. Sometimes I walk around humming the song to myself, because it's one of the few songs that never ceases to put me in a good mood.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Tomorrowland Speedway has to be the worst ride in Disney World. That's the thing that needs to go - not the Carousel of Progress.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It was pretty busy in Magic Kingdom this past week and that thing never had more than a 10 min. wait the entire trip. it has a Fastpass+ Entrance now which is hilarious.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

It was pretty busy in Magic Kingdom this past week and that thing never had more than a 10 min. wait the entire trip. it has a Fastpass+ Entrance now which is hilarious.

Everything has a fast pass. I'm surprised you can't fast pass taking a poo poo.

I actually like the magic bands and the FP+ system, to a point.

I dislike having to plan what park and rides I plan to do ahead of time. Especially when I plan dining and this week I'm doing 2 dinners at the MK.

It's easy to change your FP, even the day of. I changed Sunday and Monday easily and got ride times that worked for us.

Biggest gripe of FP+ so far, and it relates to Toy a Story Mania. In the past we could ride it on busy days 4 to 5 times, by riding it early and getting a FP, then getting another FP later. There was never an insane standby line. I had a 1:10-2:10 FP+ today and that's the only time we rode it today. Combining FP+ with regular FP kind of sucks. Toy Story had a 90 minute wait at 930 this morning, all FP sold out for the day.

In contrast nothing else had a loving wait at Studios today. I went on Star tours 3 times back to back, and a 4th using a FP and all 4 times the ride wasn't full, 5th row was empty.

Rockin Rollercoaster was closed which hosed up the rest of the park and TS Mania unfortunately, not sure if it opened later in the day.

I love the magic bands for the ease of purchasing, room access etc, they are great. However they need to seriously rethink the "Tap Mickey to Mickey" thing because 90% of the world is retarded and can't figure it out". Make the entire band, or the entire flat part with Mickey an RFID part to fix this.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Douchebag posted:

Everything has a fast pass. I'm surprised you can't fast pass taking a poo poo.

I actually like the magic bands and the FP+ system, to a point.

I dislike having to plan what park and rides I plan to do ahead of time. Especially when I plan dining and this week I'm doing 2 dinners at the MK.

It's easy to change your FP, even the day of. I changed Sunday and Monday easily and got ride times that worked for us.

Biggest gripe of FP+ so far, and it relates to Toy a Story Mania. In the past we could ride it on busy days 4 to 5 times, by riding it early and getting a FP, then getting another FP later. There was never an insane standby line. I had a 1:10-2:10 FP+ today and that's the only time we rode it today. Combining FP+ with regular FP kind of sucks. Toy Story had a 90 minute wait at 930 this morning, all FP sold out for the day.

In contrast nothing else had a loving wait at Studios today. I went on Star tours 3 times back to back, and a 4th using a FP and all 4 times the ride wasn't full, 5th row was empty.

Rockin Rollercoaster was closed which hosed up the rest of the park and TS Mania unfortunately, not sure if it opened later in the day.

I love the magic bands for the ease of purchasing, room access etc, they are great. However they need to seriously rethink the "Tap Mickey to Mickey" thing because 90% of the world is retarded and can't figure it out". Make the entire band, or the entire flat part with Mickey an RFID part to fix this.

I loved the band. Made things so easy. never had to reach for my wallet (well, except the first day because they were having a slight issue getting my account to be able to charge, but it wasn't a band issue as much as a computer issue) not even for photopass. whenever I got a photo taken, they'd just tap their device on my wrist. easy as pie.

And I know people are worried about what will happen when this goes fully live to everyone, including non-resort guests, but the resort guests are a pretty large sample size and they all have them now, so the fact that the day I arrived, at 3:30pm, I was able to snag a Toy Story Mania FP after cancelling my Magic Kingdom passes? I think that shows how flexible the system is.

(As a note, something that happened to me that was my own fault: on ocassion, the FP program will offer you two of your choices rather than three. DO NOT TAKE THIS OPTION, even if the times work for you. If you do this, you will not be able to access your third choice for the rest of the day. I lucked out and had this happen on my last day, hours before I flew home, so it wasn't a huge issue)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Magic bands are a great concept, I would prefer Disney not knowing my whereabouts all over the park all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

demonR6 posted:

Magic bands are a great concept, I would prefer Disney not knowing my whereabouts all over the park all the time.

When the gf and I went to Be Our Guest the server told us that the castle's magic mirrors kept an eye on us and our location so idk what the hell you are talking about