Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

"The one with the funny dice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"You got any of them Star Wars RPGs that use the funny dice?"

"Not unless you think a d6 is funny."

(with apologies to the Coen Brothers)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I love the systems in EotE but the "fuzzy distance" thing rubs me in a strange way, I always catch myself wanting a grid to do combats and movement in a tactical manner. Whats the consensus on this?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

So, I love the systems in EotE but the "fuzzy distance" thing rubs me in a strange way, I always catch myself wanting a grid to do combats and movement in a tactical manner. Whats the consensus on this?

My solution has been to avoid using Long range, because it's rarely fun anyway. Using a map definitely helps, and I've yet to have somebody argue that they should be at a range other than what I say they're at. I do wish there were a grid, though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Tharizdun posted:

"the good Star Wars RPG"

That will confuse people who remember WEG's Star Wars RPG.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

LumberingTroll posted:

Don't, there are no rules for tactical movement and anything that you wedge into the system is going to do nothing but slow down combat and break the flow of the game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm about to fire up a IRL game of EotE for my housemates and I plan on getting out my grid game-mat, but only as a tactile/visual aid. I think a lot of combat hangups in RPGs in general come from players/GMs having difficulty maintaining a mental image of who's where.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm about to fire up a IRL game of EotE for my housemates and I plan on getting out my grid game-mat, but only as a tactile/visual aid. I think a lot of combat hangups in RPGs in general come from players/GMs having difficulty maintaining a mental image of who's where.

Do you have a mat without lines? Having a visual aid is awesome, but people with tabletop experience tend to get reaaaally hung up on grid distance in my experience.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

On Roll20 I use awesome maps with no gridlines. It really helps my players visualize stuff without the hangups of grid combat like 4E. Combat is a breeze in EotE and I feel a lot of it is because of the abstract range system.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The main thing that slows me down is what I want to do with Threats and Despairs. Sometimes it's hard to think of something that really works in the circumstances.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

homullus posted:

The main thing that slows me down is what I want to do with Threats and Despairs. Sometimes it's hard to think of something that really works in the circumstances.

Have you tried crowd-sourcing? If you don't have something in mind, ask for suggestions. If the guy who just rolled a Despair has his dickpunch doled out by his fellow party members, you look more like an enabler than an adversary. Plus, you get some HILARIOUS outcomes that way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Carteret posted:

Have you tried crowd-sourcing? If you don't have something in mind, ask for suggestions. If the guy who just rolled a Despair has his dickpunch doled out by his fellow party members, you look more like an enabler than an adversary. Plus, you get some HILARIOUS outcomes that way.

That's an excellent idea, thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of doing it my own drat self. The group really seems to remember the mishaps that stem from the narrative dice, and have embraced them as canon -- why not let them share the fun?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Do you have a mat without lines? Having a visual aid is awesome, but people with tabletop experience tend to get reaaaally hung up on grid distance in my experience.

Its a reversible square/hex mat. I don't think my group will have too much trouble though...my wife isn't a hardcore RPGer and has never actually played in a game that bothered with grid distances (up til now she's only played FATE, Fiasco, and Dungeon World), one housemate is even newer to RPGs, only having played FATE, and the third of our little band is an experienced enough player to take "ignore the grid lines" at face value.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

homullus posted:

Take a page from the PBTA games; the bad stuff that happens on threat and depair doesn't really HAVE to be directly caused by what the players are doing. Make a list of little things that can happen based on the scenario. For example, maybe the scenario is taking place on a station that's been sabotaged. So you might have a list of stuff like:

-The lights goes out
-A crew of panicked maintenance workers barge into the room
-Artificial gravity surges for a moment
-A nearby pipe bursts

and so on. Basically, all the flavor events that make the adventure feel fleshed out. Then, whenever you need to use up some threat or despair, and you can't think of anything appropriate to the specific roll that was just made, you can just pick something off the list.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I like Edge of the Empire but it does have a serious weakness with talent trees. It seems like they spent too much time trying to fill in the gaps so that every tree had 20 things in it. Some things are genuinely interesting, like jury rigged which allows you to permanently boost an item. But most are boring things like remove one set back die when you do action x with skill y. They should have stuck to fewer but more interesting things. Or just thrown out the trees altogether and just made the special things innate to the specialization without having to spend extra xp on boring stuff to get to them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It wouldn't be too hard to house rule that away. I know a lot of players thrive on their characters having some sort of progression system, so having a checkboxed, gated talent tree system gives those players what they want, but since the whole tree is right there at your fingertips, I could very easily see just giving two or three of the more overt talents to a character at char-gen and then awarding a couple more as the campaign progresses.

In tangentially related content, I flipped through my FLGS' copy of Enter the Unknown this evening, and while I think it's a hair overpriced, it looks pretty awesome. It adds some super-high-"level" options to the Explorer career. Once you've gotten an Explorer specialization maxed out, you can move down into one of the new trees (I can't recall what the book called them...masteries, maybeEDIT: They're called Signature Abilities) that have things that are even more "here's a cool thing for your character's bag of tricks".

I was worried the book wouldn't have anything to offer people not playing as Explorers, but FFG found what I think is a perfect balance. If anything, it caters more toward general EotE players than it does to Explorer players. Chapter 1 has those new Explorer talents, but it also has 3 more races for any character (one duplicated from Age of Rebellion, 2 unique thus far), and the ostensibly-Explorer-centric backgrounds and Obligations could just as easily be used for other character types.

Chapter 2 is a bunch of Explorer and archeology themed gear and ships. Stuff like excavation equipment, hazard suits, sensors, swoops, and light freighters. Honestly it's the most boring of the three chapters, but has a bunch more art and such.

Chapter 3 deals with how to make adventures that deal with the themes of exploration and discovery. Again, it's ostensibly for "here's what you throw at a party that has an explorer in it", but it's all just generally good adventure building advice, just centered around a theme.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 9, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is there an IPV-1 System Patrol Craft in there, or is it in Beyond the Rim?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chortles posted:

Is there an IPV-1 System Patrol Craft in there, or is it in Beyond the Rim?

That's in Beyond the Rim.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

That's in Beyond the Rim.

What sort of mechanical stuff is in Beyond the Rim that could be used aside from the adventure?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

What sort of mechanical stuff is in Beyond the Rim that could be used aside from the adventure?

There are stats on a handful of ships (including IPV-1, Corellian CR90, Modified Bulk Freighter) and statblocks for various types of adversaries (including ISB Agents, Rodian gang members, Nexu)you could lift out and repurpose, and stats on a couple planets (Cholganna, Raxus Prime, The Wheel [space station, not planet, but you get the idea]).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is it a modified CR90 using custom rules besides use of a Customization Hard Points and the EotE core book's default attachments?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chortles posted:

Is it a modified CR90 using custom rules besides use of a Customization Hard Points and the EotE core book's default attachments?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I've not dealt heavily with and ships or space combat so far in my games.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks, I'm still in the process of digesting everything in the core book that I got last week from my awesome secret santa, but already looking at supplements for even more goodies.

What are the races added in Enter the Unknown?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Thanks, I'm still in the process of digesting everything in the core book that I got last week from my awesome secret santa, but already looking at supplements for even more goodies.

What are the races added in Enter the Unknown?

Duro (that's the one from Age of Rebellion too), Chiss, Toydarian.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The CR90 in Beyond the Rim is a pretty cool named ship, and a major plot point at the end of the campaign.

The last few pages of the campaign are fixing it in order for it to take off and shoot Imps.

Here's the IPV-1 too:

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 9, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly my only big complaint about Edge of the Empire on the whole is the supplement pricing. And it's hard to complain too much when I'm holding a gorgeous full-color, full-art hardback. I kinda wish they'd go with a cheaper paperback "splatbook" format, but I'll admit that the books look amazing on the shelf and flipping through them.

If I wanted to get a little more nitpicky, I'll add a small complaint that Beyond the Rim doesn't have an index of all the mechanical stuff. Since I'm playing in Mustache Ride's PbP game of it, I've avoided sitting down and reading through the plot, but it'd be nice to have page references for all the adversary stat blocks and ship stats and the like.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Enter the Unknown is 29 bux retail. But who pays retail anymore? Every game store around me offers at least 10% off MSRP and has a discount program.

Still, for the high quality books FFG puts out, I don't think 29 bux is too much to ask. Especially because they don't really put out that many compared to say, D&D 4E.

At least they don't price their roleplaying books like GW prices their army books :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My FLGS doesn't have a discount system, but they do let you put stuff on layaway, which is really nice. I just chuck $10 or $15 a paycheck at stuff until I get to take it home.

EDIT: I'm still fairly new to the RPG scene; is $30 for a sub-100 page supplement fairly standard?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885
My players and I had our 'Season 1 finale' last night, our final game of 2013 before everyone gets busy with holiday crap. Everything came together nicely, I realized yesterday was our 20th 'episode' and was a good chance for a big session and to tie up some loose ends.

It also marked only the second time we've had starship combat since our FIRST game, the last part of the beginner book leading into 'The Long Arm of the Hutt'. I realized I had been shying away from it because the rules seem clunky, but now that my players have a good grasp on the action/maneuver system and have done some planetary piloting, and they had their YT-1300 (the Krayt Fang from the beginner game, now called the 'Drunken Mynock') as well as two starfighters, things became much more interesting. A goof on my part with how missiles operate (I was treating them like grenades, ie: blast was activating and hitting both the original target *and* other enemy ships in close range, which is totally wrong) made combat shorter than it should have been, but the players still really enjoyed it.

After 20 sessions, I'm really happy with this system - at one point a few sessions ago I worried that my players were getting too powerful (some have maxed out their ranks on their major career skills already and are rolling 4 yellows for their specialties), but then I realized A) They're experts in what they do, and they can still endo on a speeder bike because their piloting is crap, and B) It just lets me increase the stakes and make everything 10x more epic. Everyone's super tough? Ok, how about freeing a group of orphans from a force-using insane cult leader with a double vibrosword?

By the end of 20 sessions, my players have taken control of and fully staffed an abandoned mining space station inside a hollowed out asteroid and gotten their hands on 2 starfighters (a really old Naboo N-1 starfighter that saw use during the clone wars and a beat up z-95 headhunter that has to be attached to the YT-1300 in order to go into hyperspace...which also lead to its pilot jumping out of the YT-1300 in the middle of an asteroid belt and climbing into the pilot seat in zero G). They've also set up a highly lucrative Ryll smuggling operation, started their way down the dark path of providing weapons to Jabba the Hutt on an ongoing basis, got the attention of an Imperial Intelligence agent who wants them to do dirty jobs for him out on the rim, and somehow rescued 13 orphans who are now living on the station. And one of those kids may or may not be force sensitive and has already killed Imperials. As one of my droid players put it: "We make Fagin seem like social services."

The finale culminated in my explorer PC openly using her force abilities for the first time, in order to pluck a frag grenade out of the air and pitch it down an elevator shaft, shocking every PC in my party. I'm super impressed with this player - she's never played an RPG before and despite being force-sensitive with abilities, she's hidden them and only used passive ones the entire 20 sessions, in order to keep from being discovered.

All in all, a great year of gaming, and since it looks like I'll be getting Beyond the Rim for the holidays, I think I can meld the idea of 'hunting for a powerful, old starship' with the galaxy co-ordinates the mechanic found in his old R2's units memory as being the location of the crashed ship, which will coincidentally have a lot of weapons they can sell to Jabba.

Season 2 will begin with the gun-running operation, which between the massive Ryll shipments and weapons will make their station a ripe target, leading to a massive pirate battle as they try and take the station and all the PC's allies from the previous sessions will come help them. My rough plan is to end season 2 with the empire showing up and, thinking their station is a rebel operation, will destroy the base, ruining everything the players have worked towards and giving them a serious grudge - leading nicely into Age of Rebellion, Hoth and the war against the empire.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The only correct thing to happen next is the players look for (and possibly find) the Katana fleet.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885

Tharizdun posted:

The only correct thing to happen next is the players look for (and possibly find) the Katana fleet.

Haha I just finished re-reading the Thrawn trilogy...if my PC's get this we're going to see a pretty big divergence from the Star Wars canon, that's for sure.

I have a couple of fun plot lines I've been wanting to hit up but my group seems pretty set on ousting Talon Karrde as the predominant smuggling group in the galaxy.

- The group finds themselves aboard a powerful capital ship run by droids who want to wage war on humans for their freedom. This sits well with the group, 2 of whom are droids and the Wookie who has droid-rights as a motivation. But when the droids reveal they want to destroy *every* living sentient being and are working on some terrible technologies and bioweapons to do so, how will the group react?

- The group is tasked with obtaining some old technology rumoured to be left over from the clone wars. They arrive and find that a number of original clone troopers - now old men with families, have been living in secret since refusing to follow order 66. Do they steal their power source, which is running their city? What secrets do they have hidden? And what happened to the Jedi knight they were supposed to kill when they received order 66?

- Time travel back to the old republic! Knights and Sith fighting everywhere! Opportunities for the group's force sensitive to get some much-needed training! Lightsabers, or at least maybe a training saber!

- Yoda teaches the force-sensitive how to become a Jedi (this is probably most likely in the middle of the Age of Rebellion campaign). When Yoda tells Obi-Wan 'No, there is another', he wasn't talking about Leia...

Too many ideas, too few sessions! Also my group can turn what was supposed to be a 5 minute clean sweep minion fight into an epic 2 hour long battle between good and evil.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Amish Retard posted:

- Time travel back to the old republic! Knights and Sith fighting everywhere! Opportunities for the group's force sensitive to get some much-needed training! Lightsabers, or at least maybe a training saber!

- Yoda teaches the force-sensitive how to become a Jedi (this is probably most likely in the middle of the Age of Rebellion campaign). When Yoda tells Obi-Wan 'No, there is another', he wasn't talking about Leia...

Too many ideas, too few sessions! Also my group can turn what was supposed to be a 5 minute clean sweep minion fight into an epic 2 hour long battle between good and evil.

I love both of these ideas and may steal them.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
I picked up this system when the core rulebook came out, and after a tentative PbP style game I started with some friends, I've since picked up every single supplement. This is by far the best RPG I've ever run. Only two of my players had ever played any type of tabletop RPG before, with the rest primarily familiar with the idea from that Community episode about DnD. And yet every one of them has mentioned repeatedly how much they are enjoying it.

I can't tell if I'm insane or not, but I have allowed my group to grow to nine total PC's. There was tremendous interest, and with PbP I figured it would be easier to get everyone together, along with giving me time to respond to multiple folks between posts. It's mostly working out Ok, but I think it's gonna have to split at some point. At the bare minimum I'll try to convince the groups to form natural four or five person parties with eyes on different (possibly complementary) goals. If anyone else has had experience with something like this, especially in this system over the past few months I'd be interested in your opinion.

Anyway, this system reinvigorated me as a GM, and the production value has been outstanding on all of the materials. I'm getting tons of ideas for my campaign based off all of your after action reports. I've mainly lurked this thread since I picked up the system, but now that my game is progressing I'm looking forward to bouncing ideas around.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Picked up Enter the Unknown tonight. As someone who has played every edition of Star Wars RPGs, it's fuckin' awesome to get a book and only see a little recycled art. The art is top notch and features people of color and women in sensible clothing.

It's also got an Indiana Jones class and the Sleuth Scout, my favorite card from SW:LCG :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I did a bit more thinking about Enter the Unknown's (and Beyond the Rim's) price point and now I'm not sure how I feel. The EotE core book was 400+ pages and was $60. The two expansions so far are half the price, $29.95, but less than a quarter of the page count. I get that it's not a strict linear relationship between page count and price, but it seems a little odd to me.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I did a bit more thinking about Enter the Unknown's (and Beyond the Rim's) price point and now I'm not sure how I feel. The EotE core book was 400+ pages and was $60. The two expansions so far are half the price, $29.95, but less than a quarter of the page count. I get that it's not a strict linear relationship between page count and price, but it seems a little odd to me.

They are the nicest supplements/splat books I've ever owned. If you like the ip, they are almost worth it for the sweet pictures alone :allears:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Perhaps they are expecting to sell fewer of them, and so are pricing them accordingly.

I ordered some of the specialization cards to check out the art. I am hoping they'll be nice enough to scan in, to make tokens for Roll20 games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

They are the nicest supplements/splat books I've ever owned. If you like the ip, they are almost worth it for the sweet pictures alone :allears:

Oh yeah, as I said, it's really hard to complain when I'm holding the product itself. And there's always amazon and Cool Stuff for discounts.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

What an odd choice it was to give Chiss a 1 Presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

What an odd choice it was to give Chiss a 1 Presence.

The FFG forums were debating that; the common opinion on it was that Chiss come off as SO aloof and haughty that it's off putting to other people they deal with.

• Locked thread