Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Crazyweasel posted:

When the gf and I went to Be Our Guest the server told us that the castle's magic mirrors kept an eye on us and our location so idk what the hell you are talking about

The magic mirrors are the least thing you need to worry about watching you. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Coolest new thing I tried this week? The scavanger hunt they have in Adventureland with Jack Sparrow. The little interactive show elements are just the coolest. Setting off the cannons on top of the Castillo Del Moro? Yes please. Having Ian McFuckingShane call me a wretched sea pup when I stole his treasure is clearly a vacation highlight

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Kirios posted:

Tomorrowland Speedway has to be the worst ride in Disney World. That's the thing that needs to go - not the Carousel of Progress.

I remember always thinking it was really out of place. Like, "I get to do this at the lovely State Fair, why the hell does Disney have one?"

But then I really liked the PeopleMover as a kid, for some reason.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

bringmyfishback posted:

I remember always thinking it was really out of place. Like, "I get to do this at the lovely State Fair, why the hell does Disney have one?"

But then I really liked the PeopleMover as a kid, for some reason.

The TLS and the Peoplemover are not comparable in any way and it's insulting to even try :colbert:

Would literally be perfectly content to ride the TTA all day long without getting off.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The Peoplemover is absolutely awesome, but I still laugh when people get angry because they thought it was the line for Astro Orbiter.

We usually make 2-3 rounds on it each trip.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The PeopleMover is my kids' favorite ride. Well, 2/3 of my kids.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Shacked up at the Yacht Club this time around, but have not had a chance try the food here. Boss took us out to dinner tonight at Jiko. The roasted cauliflower flatbread and the lamb two ways were outrageously good.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Here's an Avatarland update. Well...from D23, anyway. October.

At the 2013 Japan D23 Expo, Disney revealed two major attractions:
• A flying E ticket simulator attraction, where guests will learn to fly with a mountain Banshee.
• A Jungle Cruise-like water attraction showcasing the native fauna and flora of Pandora.

Avatar Land will be built in the current location of Camp Minnie-Mickey, which was originally earmarked for the Beastly Kingdom, a never-built themed land which would have been based around mythological creatures.

My opinion from the OP stands: lovely idea.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Douchebag posted:

Everything has a fast pass. I'm surprised you can't fast pass taking a poo poo.

You can, however, get a fast pass for a defibrillator.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Does anything go on for Friday the 13th tomorrow? Or was that just during Halloween this year?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Douchebag posted:

Does anything go on for Friday the 13th tomorrow? Or was that just during Halloween this year?

That was part of their Limited Time Magic thing this year, so that was a one and done thing. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we see them bring it back next year, either in a similar one off capacity or as an extra ticket event running on opposing nights to the Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing planned but the Halloween version was something not to miss..

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Well I extended my trip one day due to the winter storm in the northeast. United changed my flight to Sunday night for no charge and I had enough DVC points to add one more night at Saratoga Springs.

Disney made it super easy and kept everything linked to my current magic bands and such.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nice day for it too!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Douchebag posted:

Well I extended my trip one day due to the winter storm in the northeast. United changed my flight to Sunday night for no charge and I had enough DVC points to add one more night at Saratoga Springs.

Disney made it super easy and kept everything linked to my current magic bands and such.

I should have done this, since my fight home last week during the first of the snowfall in New England was delayed three times. However, I chose the cheapest flight option, meaning changing my flight would cost almost as much as the flight cost me in the first place, and I couldn't afford another night in a hotel, even at the value resort.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I should have done this, since my fight home last week during the first of the snowfall in New England was delayed three times. However, I chose the cheapest flight option, meaning changing my flight would cost almost as much as the flight cost me in the first place, and I couldn't afford another night in a hotel, even at the value resort.

I got ridiculously lucky today. Checkout is at 11 normally. At 10 I started making phone calls, I've been watching the weather for a few days. Called united, it was an hour wait to talk to a human. Called back, picked a different prompt and I got someone right away. Explained the situation, she had a flight for 7:07pm on Sunday with no change fee and I took it right away.

Called DVC member services, explained the situation again, they had 1 bedroom villas available (we normally take a studio which is just a hotel room), I had points to use, so I got a extra night for essentially free.

Would I like to be home tonight? gently caress yes, in tired, have to work Monday and would like to spend Sunday on my own couch drinking cheaper beer watching football, but I got an extra night in Disney and my son is happy so I'm happy.

Oh, has anyone done Sorcerers of the MK? It's pretty cool and my son loves it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We just got back from Studios, went to see the Osborne lights and Murphy's f*ing Law as soon as we hit the turnstiles it starts to rain. Everyone crams the shops, it dumps for about a fifteen minutes. We make our way through a sea of people, MK closed at 6 for Very Merry so everyone left there for Studios. After wading through the crowd we finally make it to the main street.. it opens up and rains again and we get soaked. Never fails.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

Nice day for it too!

I just left a gorgeous day Friday (albeit working most of the say) to shoveling half a foot of snow and freezing temps today.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Douchebag posted:

I got ridiculously lucky today. Checkout is at 11 normally. At 10 I started making phone calls, I've been watching the weather for a few days. Called united, it was an hour wait to talk to a human. Called back, picked a different prompt and I got someone right away. Explained the situation, she had a flight for 7:07pm on Sunday with no change fee and I took it right away.

Called DVC member services, explained the situation again, they had 1 bedroom villas available (we normally take a studio which is just a hotel room), I had points to use, so I got a extra night for essentially free.

Would I like to be home tonight? gently caress yes, in tired, have to work Monday and would like to spend Sunday on my own couch drinking cheaper beer watching football, but I got an extra night in Disney and my son is happy so I'm happy.

Oh, has anyone done Sorcerers of the MK? It's pretty cool and my son loves it.

It's cool that everything fell into place.

Also: Sorcerers is cool. I played a bit at the Christmas Party (because I'm weird and wanted the Party exclusive card) but I was mostly involved in the Pirates scavanger hunt. I guess actual canons and animatronics were more my speed. I did like that James Woods is clearly having a blast as Hades. I think it's cool that they can just get him into a studio anytime they need Hades

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

It's cool that everything fell into place.

Also: Sorcerers is cool. I played a bit at the Christmas Party (because I'm weird and wanted the Party exclusive card) but I was mostly involved in the Pirates scavanger hunt. I guess actual canons and animatronics were more my speed. I did like that James Woods is clearly having a blast as Hades. I think it's cool that they can just get him into a studio anytime they need Hades

I thought Sorcerers was cool too. But it's strange as hell when a 60 year old overweight woman on a hoveround rolls up, gets up and activates the portal, then opens a binder with 36 cards showing, casts her spells, then drives away.

My son loves the Agent P stuff in Epcot, so we tried Sorcerers out and now he's all about both. Just more stuff to do at WDW. Maybe we will try the scavenger hunt next time.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Lunch at Le Cellier was so worth it, the whole meal was fantastic. Took the advice from months ago and made sure to get the cheese soup which really wasn't to be missed. Also had the Pepper-encrusted steak and the whole dish was amazing.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Campbell posted:

Lunch at Le Cellier was so worth it, the whole meal was fantastic. Took the advice from months ago and made sure to get the cheese soup which really wasn't to be missed. Also had the Pepper-encrusted steak and the whole dish was amazing.

That is what I order. Can't go wrong with that selection.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if someone already answered this, but if we wanted to buy Florida resident annual passes, how much would it run us for one that includes Epcot with no blackout dates? Well, I guess I should say per person, because it will be both of us getting one. And, are annual passes worth the money?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if someone already answered this, but if we wanted to buy Florida resident annual passes, how much would it run us for one that includes Epcot with no blackout dates? Well, I guess I should say per person, because it will be both of us getting one. And, are annual passes worth the money?

Ours runs just shy of $35/mth. after the initial payment. How local are you, can you get out to the parks a few times a year?

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.

demonR6 posted:

Ours runs just shy of $35/mth. after the initial payment. How local are you, can you get out to the parks a few times a year?

We will be moving to the Orlando area next year, so yeah, definitely. We're looking at houses in Kissimmee. :)

e: I figure getting a pass for both of us would totally pay for itself, because I love the Epcot restaurants, and I'd like to be able to eat at them for special occasions. Not having to pay admission every single time for two people would be a significant savings.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure we figured four visits to the parks was all it took to justify the cost. A single day park hopper pass for non-residents is $138 versus Florida resident at $117 minus parking. That is how we came up with four visits as the benchmark. If you can manage that, then you paid for it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Pretty sure we figured four visits to the parks was all it took to justify the cost. A single day park hopper pass for non-residents is $138 versus Florida resident at $117 minus parking. That is how we came up with four visits as the benchmark. If you can manage that, then you paid for it.

And I gather from your posts you visit a lot more than four times a year.

I envy those who can just pop into a park for the afternoon.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

And I gather from your posts you visit a lot more than four times a year.

I envy those who can just pop into a park for the afternoon.

The really ironic thing of it is that those of us who CAN pop in for the afternoon generally won't for 3/4s of the year because it's enormously too hot.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

The really ironic thing of it is that those of us who CAN pop in for the afternoon generally won't for 3/4s of the year because it's enormously too hot.

Amen. Miserable heat, overcrowding.. We don't go much during summer except for later evenings and for a couple of hours.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

demonR6 posted:

Amen. Miserable heat, overcrowding.. We don't go much during summer except for later evenings and for a couple of hours.

This is true, the good weather days are much better. Although I haven't had a Disney pass in a few years now, we do go occasionally with cast member friends main gates, but not often. Honestly, for locals, the Universal AP is a much better deal and they are adding attractions and other new things much more rapidly than Disney (seems like every time I go there is something new) and the special events are fairly frequent (Mardi Gras, Christmas, Horror Nights, etc). Ideally, I'd do both, but it's a bit too much for Disney without much new in the parks for a longer term resident (I've been in Orlando since 2000). If you are just moving in it's probably worth it, though.

As far as blackout dates for the lower end passes (at any of the parks), you really don't want to go when the blackout days are. Especially after enjoying the slower seasons. Going the week after Christmas is absolute insanity at all parks.

A big recommendation, we generally get one upper tier pass (for parking, and any discounts), and the cheaper one for anyone else.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 24, 2013

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think parking is the only extra discount that the full-on annual pass has over the seasonal one. Whether that cost difference is worth it is up to how often you go (and how willing you are to bend the rules).

My wife and I have weekday passes since we typically don't want to go on Saturdays and Sundays anyway, and blackout days are a definite no-go. We valet park at one of the monorail resorts because of our huge stroller, so the free parking wouldn't help us as much, and we don't go all that often anymore.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

So my wife and daughter were watching the Disney Parks christmas parade this morning. And they now want to go to the filming of the parade. Anyone have an idea on how I might find the recording dates in time to plan a trip to Disneyworld?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Mykkel posted:

So my wife and daughter were watching the Disney Parks christmas parade this morning. And they now want to go to the filming of the parade. Anyone have an idea on how I might find the recording dates in time to plan a trip to Disneyworld?

Check the Disney blogs or wdwinfo.com. It is usually filmed in early December, you don't need a special ticket but expect it to be crowded and hard to get from section to section. And get there early, really early.

It filmed on December 6 and 7 this year in Orlando FYI

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mykkel posted:

Yeah, I am pretty sure I mentioned when it was this year. My in-law works for the internal security and knows a lot of this inside stuff.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

I posted something similar back on the 4th of July. I still don't understand why people flock to the parks on days like this. We specifically avoid holidays like the plague.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

I posted something similar back on the 4th of July. I still don't understand why people flock to the parks on days like this. We specifically avoid holidays like the plague.

Yeah, no thanks. I'll watch the Kingdom fireworks from my front porch.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Lincoln posted:

I was in Magic Kingdom on New Year's Eve one year. Don't do that. Though it wouldn't have been too terrible if the temperature also hadn't gotten down to around 15F that night.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The following week is literally the worst week of the year to go to any park. If you're not earning a paycheck from the mouse, avoid the parks like the flames of hell.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sair posted:

I was in Magic Kingdom on New Year's Eve one year. Don't do that. Though it wouldn't have been too terrible if the temperature also hadn't gotten down to around 15F that night.

We made it as far as the area where the ferry boat disembarks, saw the absolute pandemonium and just hung out there and watched the fireworks. Never bothered going in, as soon as it was over it was a cattle herd exiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sair
May 11, 2007

I guess it was just weirdly unbusy that year or something, because it wasn't near that bad. Took a hell of a long time to get out though.