Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Jon's probably going to become super duper rhllor werezombie number one.

And I'm pretty sure Brienne's the best bet for PwwP, the way the series turns things around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jaime is the only bearable Lannister left and one of three characters that doesn't suck, so his death is going to blow.

(Stannis, Davos)

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Currently airing shows better than HBO's Game of Thrones:

Coronation Street

This is actually true btw

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

OhYeah posted:

Do enlighten me. I can think of one HBO series that could rival Game of Thrones when it comes cast and the quality of visuals, and none when it comes to cultural impact.

Band of Brothers, motherfucker.

GoT is horrible crap.

Traxus IV posted:

You seem really angry that the movie adaptations of the LotR trilogy modified content from the books. Like, really upset. But you don't understand how people might feel similarly disgruntled when other books are likewise adapted to other formats in a way that loses a lot of what made the original work enjoyable?

I am not happy that LoTR was altered for the big screen. Resulting in my choice to simply not watch it (beyond commercials and accidental partial viewings when others had it playing). One main difference between the adaptation of LoTR versus ASoIaF: One fat fucker is still alive and allowed the changes to his work. Personally I think Tolkien wouldn't have wanted his work to become what the adaptation... adapted.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 9, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Fog Tripper posted:

Band of Brothers, motherfucker.

GoT is horrible crap.

I am not happy that LoTR was altered for the big screen. Resulting in my choice to simply not watch it (beyond commercials and accidental partial viewings when others had it playing). One main difference between the adaptation of LoTR versus ASoIaF: One fat fucker is still alive and allowed the changes to his work. Personally I think Tolkien wouldn't have wanted his work to become what the adaptation... adapted.

I spent years railing that people should adapt comic books by using them as a script and a storyboard and just stick with what they're given, not altering much....and then Zach Snyder pretty much did that to Watchmen and it was the worst poo poo ever. It was the worst parts of reading a book you've already read and a bad adaptation at the same time.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I spent years railing that people should adapt comic books by using them as a script and a storyboard and just stick with what they're given, not altering much....and then Zach Snyder pretty much did that to Watchmen and it was the worst poo poo ever. It was the worst parts of reading a book you've already read and a bad adaptation at the same time.

Well, "comic books" is where your plan fell apart. The last time I read a comic book, it was around 1976 and it was Archies, or Casper the Friendly Ghost or some such. Best comics were the ones with the tiny pictures in the corners that acted as motion pictures when you flipped them fast. Oh how I miss the 70s. :smith: Such a groovy time to be a kid.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Get out of here OLDKER

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I still buy Archie comics sometimes

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Brienne won't be the one to hang Jaime but he is likely to die, She will probably try to defend him, fail, and then the BwB will turn against Stoneheart.

Source:

I'unno, my guess is that he kills Cersei eventually and they die together. How many times has one or the other said or thought about how the two of them entered the world together and that they'd leave it the same way? Plus Cersei was born first, both her brothers are younger than her. Jaime could be the valonky or whatever who's supposed to kill her from the fortune teller's thing instead of it being Tyrion like Cersei thinks. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's gonna die at some point, though. It'd be more surprising if he didn't.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Traxus IV posted:

Jaime could be the valonky

Mods change my name please, tia

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Sorry, valonqy :v:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
T.B. Thread posters who legit think "A Song of Ice and Fire" is no good: how'd you even end up posting here

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

T.B. Thread posters who legit think "A Song of Ice and Fire" is no good: how'd you even end up posting here

I have a list of grievances I want redressed and this seemed as good a place as any to put them.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

fleshweasel posted:

They had that new short story out and I wanted to talk about it, but then instead people decided to tell me about things that happened a couple of seasons ago on Boardwalk Empire.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 686 days!)

This is the Bad Thread we talk about all kinds of cray poo poo here.

Basically the only reason they had Jimmy gently caress his mom and get killed in BE is because they were trying to piggyback off of GOT's success with incest and killing off characters with plot armor.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

This is the Bad Thread we talk about all kinds of cray poo poo here.

Basically the only reason they had Jimmy gently caress his mom and get killed in BE is because they were trying to piggyback off of GOT's success with incest and killing off characters with plot armor.

Also because every episode needs more Rothstein.

(I wish this was their reasoning, because there really does need to be more Michael Stuhlbarg)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You can thank GRRM for popularizing incest and murder.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Traxus IV posted:

I'unno, my guess is that he kills Cersei eventually and they die together. How many times has one or the other said or thought about how the two of them entered the world together and that they'd leave it the same way? Plus Cersei was born first, both her brothers are younger than her. Jaime could be the valonky or whatever who's supposed to kill her from the fortune teller's thing instead of it being Tyrion like Cersei thinks. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's gonna die at some point, though. It'd be more surprising if he didn't.

In a way, every character is already dead since we're never getting any more books. ADWD was the end so to the reader everybody essentially expired at the end of it, in a literary sense.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just finished ADWD, the wait until the next one is going to be excruciating isn't it? :sigh:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

They had that new short story out and I wanted to talk about it

Why would you ever try to have a discussion about that here? The Tv thread is where books are discussed.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

I just finished ADWD, the wait until the next one is going to be excruciating isn't it? :sigh:

If excruciating means waiting over 3 years (from now) while reading updates on the NY Jets, Wild Cards, and now GRRM's new line of ASOIAF distractions...then yes.

I can't even imagine how jaded people are who started reading these from the start.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Joramun posted:

In a way, every character is already dead since we're never getting any more books. ADWD was the end so to the reader everybody essentially expired at the end of it, in a literary sense.

We are getting more books, but they'll be based on the popular HBO series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A time of kalesi: The final chapter of HBO's Game of Thrones and George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
The Winds of Kaleesi.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
A Dream of Dook

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kurtofan posted:

Just relax, you need to pace yourself for the excruciating experience of actually reading it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

Not at all, there should be a new book out within a month or two. If that is too long, might I recommend reading some of other GRRMs other fine works of fantasy? I understand another of his series, "Wildcards" has been optioned for a tvshow! It is a dark twist on superheroes in a shared world with many other top rate authors.

EDIT: Have you read the Dunk and Egg novellas? They actually have some really important information about Westeros... I wish I had read them before ADWD.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 11, 2013

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
gently caress, I did not know they are making a wild cards movie. Is there anything redeeming about those books? All I know about them I learned from this thread, and the only thing I remember hearing about is that one guy has magical rape powers or something.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Check out the reread for yourself!

It's...it's unique, I guess I'd say.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

redreader posted:

Jaime gets hanged by Brienne.
He can't die until he kills Cersei.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rhaegar's shade talking about him failing to protect his children makes me think he and Brienne will join Aegon, or if lol R+L=J is real he'll have a larger role to play in the war against the ice people.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

gently caress, I did not know they are making a wild cards movie. Is there anything redeeming about those books? All I know about them I learned from this thread, and the only thing I remember hearing about is that one guy has magical rape powers or something.

An alien gets stuck in the body of a young woman and gets raped by his son, who knows he's stuck in said body. This is a story GRRM read and approved for publication.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Max posted:

An alien gets stuck in the body of a young woman and gets raped by his son, who knows he's stuck in said body. This is a story GRRM read and approved for publication.

Grandson. Who swapped the two bodies.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

whowhatwhere posted:

Grandson. Who swapped the two bodies.

Sorry, yes, grandson. There's also the super psychic that needs to have sex to recharge his super power

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Max posted:

Sorry, yes, grandson. There's also the super psychic that needs to have sex to recharge his super power

But not orgasm. Because he believes his power resides in his sperm. His magic sperm then migrates to his forehead, where it bulges out in a huge sac.

This is not a joke. This is real.

Oh, also because it was the 1980s he's a pimp who's half-Japanese and thus refers to all his prostitutes as "geishas".

plus he hosed a corpse to revive it, Pushing Daisies-style.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I think I just killed a thread as it got gassed not sure if that's ever happened to me before what an odd feeling. Okay back to normal threading, seriously who is the Prince That Was Promised.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SaviourX posted:

I think I just killed a thread as it got gassed not sure if that's ever happened to me before what an odd feeling. Okay back to normal threading, seriously who is the Prince That Was Promised.

He was one of those that Cersei licked.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SaviourX posted:

The best prediction I ever saw was in the TV spoiler thread where someone posited that the last book would end with Westeros being overrun with zombies and the last chapter would be titled "The Prince That Was Promised" and would be from Rhaegar's POV as he rides off to battle Robert.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Max posted:

The best prediction I ever saw was in the TV spoiler thread where someone posited that the last book would end with Westeros being overrun with zombies and the last chapter would be titled "The Prince That Was Promised" and would be from Rhaegar's POV as he rides off to battle Robert.

I know that was originally posted as a joke, but I still think it would be the absolute best ending to the series. People always talk about Gurm subverting expectations and genre conventions and poo poo, so having The Chosen One get his ribcage smashed in by Giant Angry Man With A Horned Helmet seventeen years before the first book even starts would be appropriate, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Max posted:

Too awesome to really happen :smith: