Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Kilty Monroe posted:

When slicing and dicing your domestic stock by market caps, use Morningstar Instant X-Ray to figure out the appropriate mix to approximate the total stock index the you're trying to emulate. For international stock, I follow Vanguard's lead of having 30% of equities be international (so 27% of your whole portfolio here).

You can still build a good mix despite your low balance by buying ETFs. They're a little more involved than ordinary mutual funds, since you have to put in an order through a brokerage the same way you would to buy individual stocks, but there's no minimum investment requirement aside from not being able to buy fractional shares, and the expense ratios are pretty low, too. Vanguard waives commission fees on their own ETFs, and Fidelity does too for 65 iShares ETFs, if your IRA is at either institution (and if not, why?).
Thanks for the link, again! I couldn't find the free tool from their site, just the paid one, and I didn't google. I bookmarked it this time.

code:
Allocations:
18.9%   VXF    small/mid cap domestic
44.1%   VINIX  large cap domestic (Work 401k, so I will have to work into this)
7%      BND    bond domestic
8.1%    ???    small/mid cap int'l
18.9$   VXUS   large cap int'l
3%      BNDX   bond int'l
That puts me at 70/30 domestic/int'l and 10/90 bond/stock.

The EFT suggestion is awesome, and was something I had only thought about a little bit. I now see that Vanguard has a number of EFTs that match their other funds, which makes it easier to know which way to go once the values hit 3k+ per each (If I stick with similar allocation). I think this is what I am going to migrate my funds to. I sold my Target fund today so I could purchase these, or similar, come Monday. As always I would love feedback!
code:
VUG	45.10%	Large cap domestic
VXF	18.80%	Mid cap domestic
VXUS	27.40%	Large cap intl
BND	5.30%	Domestic bond
BNDX	3.30%	Intl bond
Lastly and on a slightly different note, does anyone have suggestions for people close to retirement? Figure 5-8 years until they start drawing from funds, perhaps a little longer. 45/55 bond/stock and 70/30 domestic/int'l seems reasonable to me, tapering to more bonds than stocks once they retire. Suggestions from those who have thought about it would be awesome.

surrender posted:

I'm going to receive a $5,000 windfall from selling my car later this month. Which is the better option: funneling everything directly into my Roth IRA for 2014, or putting the money into a savings account while continuing my regular monthly contributions ($5,500 split over 12 months)? I have my Roth with Vanguard in their 2050 target fund, if that matters.
Do you have a fully funded emergency fund? If not, do that first. Is your Roth fully funded for 2013? If not, of course do that first, but from your post I'm guessing thats taken care of. I would then dump the 5.5k into your Roth on Jan 1, 2014, and up your 401k contributions by (5500/payperiods).

Also, Target funds are great, but once you have the desire to manage your own allocation plus enough money to do so, you should consider changing the funds up. If you're in a Target 2050 fund you're probably closeish to my age, and my recent posts and other peoples responses could be of use to you if you're considering managing it yourself. I too have had my monies in 2050 until now because the balance was so low and I was lazy as gently caress. Thanks to SABFC'er's, I'm working on managing my own allocations going forward!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

SiGmA_X posted:

Thanks for the link, again! I couldn't find the free tool from their site, just the paid one, and I didn't google. I bookmarked it this time.

code:
Allocations:
18.9%   VXF    small/mid cap domestic
44.1%   VINIX  large cap domestic (Work 401k, so I will have to work into this)
7%      BND    bond domestic
8.1%    ???    small/mid cap int'l
18.9$   VXUS   large cap int'l
3%      BNDX   bond int'l
That puts me at 70/30 domestic/int'l and 10/90 bond/stock.

The EFT suggestion is awesome, and was something I had only thought about a little bit. I now see that Vanguard has a number of EFTs that match their other funds, which makes it easier to know which way to go once the values hit 3k+ per each (If I stick with similar allocation). I think this is what I am going to migrate my funds to. I sold my Target fund today so I could purchase these, or similar, come Monday. As always I would love feedback!
code:
VUG	45.10%	Large cap domestic
VXF	18.80%	Mid cap domestic
VXUS	27.40%	Large cap intl
BND	5.30%	Domestic bond
BNDX	3.30%	Intl bond

A few little details here:

I see you have VUG as your domestic large-cap ETF, but that's actually a growth stock index, not a total market large-cap index. The appropriate ETF to use in place of VINIX would be VOO.

VXUS already includes mid- and small-caps in it too, so you don't need to supplement it with any more international mid/small-cap stock.

Finally, I did say 70/30 domestic/international equities, but bonds aren't equities. Vanguard only recently added international bonds to their all-in-one funds and the verdict's still out on them, you could just as well skip it if you wanted. If you did want to follow their lead, their split is 80/20.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

SiGmA_X posted:

Do you have a fully funded emergency fund? If not, do that first. Is your Roth fully funded for 2013? If not, of course do that first, but from your post I'm guessing thats taken care of. I would then dump the 5.5k into your Roth on Jan 1, 2014, and up your 401k contributions by (5500/payperiods).

Also, Target funds are great, but once you have the desire to manage your own allocation plus enough money to do so, you should consider changing the funds up. If you're in a Target 2050 fund you're probably closeish to my age, and my recent posts and other peoples responses could be of use to you if you're considering managing it yourself. I too have had my monies in 2050 until now because the balance was so low and I was lazy as gently caress. Thanks to SABFC'er's, I'm working on managing my own allocations going forward!

I sort-of have an emergency fund: I'm working overseas and my employer pays for everything, bar food, so I just have $1,500 parked in an online savings account. I'll add more money once I move back to the states, although that's over a year away. My 2013 Roth is fully-funded, and I don't have an employer-sponsored retirement plan yet - I become a full university employee next week (after three months of service) with automatic enrollment in a 403(b), which I plan to max out since my expenses are so small. Everything else is likely going in savings to fund either a home purchase or further grad studies once I get back to the US.

I'm 28, and I have a bit over $11K split between a Roth IRA and Rollover IRA at Vanguard - both in the 2050 fund. I would eventually like to start managing my own allocation, but I don't have enough money to buy multiple funds at the moment.

Thanks for the advice!

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 8, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I have a question on taxes and allocation.

In my non-retirement savings, I have the majority of my money in the vanguard fortune 500 index. I am considering diversifying to other Vanguard indexes to spread my money out a bit. My questions are:

1) If I exchange my Index 500 funds for others, will I have to pay taxes next year? I am afraid I don't understand that whole system and I am afraid I'll create some horrible tax situation for myself just blindly moving thousands of dollars.

2) Should I even bother doing this? The 500 index is doing very well and given its the fortune 500, it seems likely to remain stable. Is it worth it, especially if I have a large tax liability, to spread the money around?

My retirement account is separate and setup fine and for this account, I have the remainder in bonds and a small portion in the total international fund so I'm not 100% in this index, just like 75% haha.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Can anyone recommend a book to the beginning investor, but that also covers different types of investing, like medium and short term, including buying stocks, as well as saving for retirement?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Did you read the op? Read the op, there's a reading list there and taking it from top to bottom is fine.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Xguard86 posted:

In my non-retirement savings, I have the majority of my money in the vanguard fortune 500 index. I am considering diversifying to other Vanguard indexes to spread my money out a bit. My questions are:

1) If I exchange my Index 500 funds for others, will I have to pay taxes next year? I am afraid I don't understand that whole system and I am afraid I'll create some horrible tax situation for myself just blindly moving thousands of dollars.

2) Should I even bother doing this? The 500 index is doing very well and given its the fortune 500, it seems likely to remain stable. Is it worth it, especially if I have a large tax liability, to spread the money around?

My retirement account is separate and setup fine and for this account, I have the remainder in bonds and a small portion in the total international fund so I'm not 100% in this index, just like 75% haha.
If you hold the fund for <12mo it is considered short term and taxed as your ordinary income is. If you hold it for >12mo, it is considered long term and taxed at a preferential rate.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Xguard86 posted:

1. You'll pay capital gains taxes on your gains, but not on what you put in to start with. So you will incur some taxes, but you're not going to be killing your ultimate return on the investment, because when you put it back in to another fund, that forms the basis for what won't be taxed as gains later.

2. Read the Bogleheads' Principles of tax-efficient fund placement article for all your taxable asset allocation questions. Generally, the 500 index is a pretty good place to have your taxable investments, though you should also look at how it fits into your asset allocation across all your accounts.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can anyone recommend a book to the beginning investor, but that also covers different types of investing, like medium and short term, including buying stocks, as well as saving for retirement?

The Four Pillars of Investing is what we recommend for beginners to long-term investing here. For picking individual stocks for short-term gains, this article tells you all you need to know as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Great thanks! I'll be holding for 12 months at least so looks like my tax situation will be fine and my overall allocation fits into that guide pretty well.

I guess I'll start playing with some scenarios for taking some of that money spreading it to other funds.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 9, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My brother has two little kids and his wife opened a 529 plan for each of them. The last few years I've put in $1k each at Christmas and $500 on their birthday. I'm hoping they will actually be able to afford college in 2030 when it will probably cost $10,000 just to apply.

What I was wondering about is what happens if one (or both) decide they don't want to go to college? Maybe they want to be punk rockers. How does that affect distribution?

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...

Xguard86 posted:

Minor point: You seem to be confusing the Fortune 500, which is just a list of companies published by Fortune magazine and not a stock index, with the S&P 500, which is an index of the prices of 500 stocks that the Vanguard 500 index fund (and many other index funds) attempt to track. Presumably most of the companies in both are the same, so it's not really a big deal.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

My brother has two little kids and his wife opened a 529 plan for each of them. The last few years I've put in $1k each at Christmas and $500 on their birthday. I'm hoping they will actually be able to afford college in 2030 when it will probably cost $10,000 just to apply.

What I was wondering about is what happens if one (or both) decide they don't want to go to college? Maybe they want to be punk rockers. How does that affect distribution?

You can always re-assign a 529 plan to a new beneficiary. Failing that, you can cash them out with the usual cap gains tax + 10% penalty.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

surrender posted:

I sort-of have an emergency fund: I'm working overseas and my employer pays for everything, bar food, so I just have $1,500 parked in an online savings account. I'll add more money once I move back to the states, although that's over a year away.

Your emergency fund's size should probably be based on "what would happen if I lost my job tomorrow." Consider not just losing your job due to being fired for cause, but also due to unforeseen or unforeseeable financial difficulties of your employer. Could you handle the sudden need to relocate, find a new job, and pay your living expenses, potentially for a few months?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Leperflesh posted:

Your emergency fund's size should probably be based on "what would happen if I lost my job tomorrow." Consider not just losing your job due to being fired for cause, but also due to unforeseen or unforeseeable financial difficulties of your employer. Could you handle the sudden need to relocate, find a new job, and pay your living expenses, potentially for a few months?

Easily. Assuming the worst-case scenario, the job will pay for a plane ticket back to the US. I can stay with my family (in a big city), and I have several leads/connections for getting a new job almost immediately. I also don't have any expenses at the moment. I'm not going to neglect the emergency fund, by any means - once I've funded the IRA for 2014, I'll build up the fund to about $5,000.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Echo 3 posted:

Minor point: You seem to be confusing the Fortune 500, which is just a list of companies published by Fortune magazine and not a stock index, with the S&P 500, which is an index of the prices of 500 stocks that the Vanguard 500 index fund (and many other index funds) attempt to track. Presumably most of the companies in both are the same, so it's not really a big deal.

oh thanks. I thought Fortune just pulled that list from the S&P 500 I didn't know they might vary.

After looking at the numbers, I'm moving to the Vanguard total market index with a higher allocation to the total international index, enough to put me above the admiral qualifier.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Kilty Monroe posted:

You can always re-assign a 529 plan to a new beneficiary. Failing that, you can cash them out with the usual cap gains tax + 10% penalty.

If I wind up putting $40k+ into their plans they drat well better go to college, even if it's Clown College! :argh:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Kilty Monroe posted:

You mean they can, right? The 529 belongs to the child, not the person who put the money in it, right?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

SlightlyMadman posted:

You mean they can, right? The 529 belongs to the child, not the person who put the money in it, right?

Nope, it belongs to the person who initially opened the account. The child/student is only a beneficiary in the sense that they are eligible to receive money for their benefit from the account. The person who owns the account directs where the money goes, and can change the beneficiary without the consent of the beneficiary.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Dick Trauma posted:

You should open a different account yourself as that money can be used for alternative purposes by the parents without any input from you.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

cowofwar posted:

You should open a different account yourself as that money can be used for alternative purposes by the parents without any input from you.

That sounds like a crazy oversight that could potentially allow bad parents to screw over their kids and steal from other family members. Is there any way to set up a 529 directly in the child's name? I want to set one up for my niece, but honestly I'm not even comfortable with the idea that I could change my mind at some point and take the money back. If I ended up in a dire financial situation, the fact that I'd even have the option of stealing from my niece horrifies me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Ugh. I didn't know they could do that. I don't want to offend them by making my own 529 for the kids but I don't want them to use it to buy a boat or some drat thing.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SlightlyMadman posted:

That sounds like a crazy oversight that could potentially allow bad parents to screw over their kids and steal from other family members. Is there any way to set up a 529 directly in the child's name? I want to set one up for my niece, but honestly I'm not even comfortable with the idea that I could change my mind at some point and take the money back. If I ended up in a dire financial situation, the fact that I'd even have the option of stealing from my niece horrifies me.
You can make non-qualified withdrawals that are taxed and also change the beneficiary to someone else in the immediate family.

529 wasn't designed to be a state controlled account. The account belongs to whomever opened it and has a named beneficiary which can be changed once a year. If you contribute to someone else's 529 plan for their kid you're basically just putting the money in a registered account in the parent's name. I don't believe you can create an account for a beneficiary that isn't in your immediate family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/529_plan

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 10, 2013

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You can, one of the get arounds to the FAFSA form is that you can have a 529 under the grand parents name so it doesn't count as the parents asset.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Harry posted:

You can, one of the get arounds to the FAFSA form is that you can have a 529 under the grand parents name so it doesn't count as the parents asset.

Unfortunately I can't trust our parents so that's out. Guess I'll just hope for the best.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Dick Trauma posted:

Unfortunately I can't trust our parents so that's out. Guess I'll just hope for the best.

Why don't you just open it yourself? Nephews and nieces are considered an immediate family member.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't matter if it's your family member, that just matters if you need to change the beneficiary. You can open a 529 with anyone you please as the beneficiary. You just need their social security number. I've looked into this a bit for myself - alternatives I deemed not useful to me for various reasons were Coverdell ESA, UTMA, savings bonds. The ultimate solution is a trust; that is probably way more costly than is useful for you, except for this thing here that I don't know much about : http://www.kisstrust.com/

Oh, and South Carolina's 529 plan has really cheap fund options. That is not true of every state. Vanguard (Nevada) does as well, but they have a $3000 minimum to open. SC has no minimum.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Isn't one of the gimmicks to open a state 529 plan, name yourself as the beneficiary, and use it as long term savings account? Two of the plans in the Virginia 529 plan have a guaranteed 2.0%+ return interest rate. So use it for savings and pull it out when needed, only paying a 10% penalty on the interest (plus regular taxes as usual). Enjoy your 1.8% no obligation savings account return rate. Beats most CDs and Online Savings accounts.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

It is possible to open a 529 with your child as the account owner, not just the beneficiary. I'm not sure if you can do that for a nephew as well.

Of course, then you run the risk of the kid doing something dumb with the money like blowing it on a fancy car.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So I was looking around the ACA website the other day and found a page that said I would be able to deduct an IRA from my income to get my AGI if I didn't have a company sponsored retirement account like a 401k. I have healthcare at the moment but I still want to know if this is true in case I ever lose it.

I talked to a rep and she stated I would actually be able to deduct a ROTH IRA but I'm not sure if she was right about that.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=....57799294,d.aWM

Being able to deduct $11,000 (Wife and I) from my Gross Income would really increase the healthcare subsidy. I just need a second opinion as to whether or not I can deduct a ROTH IRA or if this only applies to a traditional IRA.

edit: ohhhhh apparently you could always just roll over/convert a traditional IRA into a ROTH once you don't need the subsidy anymore. That makes sense.

V- Thanks, most of my google searches say the same thing.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 10, 2013

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
As far as I've read, you cannot decrease your AGI with a Roth IRA, only a traditional.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It would kind of defeat the whole purpose of a Roth account - which comes after taxes and is free of future tax liability(after certain conditions namely age).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Has anyone read The Investor's Manifesto by William Bernstein (of Four Pillars' fame). It seems to be a very similar book but 7 years more recent. I have just finished the Four Pillars, and the table of contents of Manifesto makes it sound like a rehash.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, that's why I took what the ACA rep said with a grain of salt.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Has anyone read The Investor's Manifesto by William Bernstein (of Four Pillars' fame). It seems to be a very similar book but 7 years more recent. I have just finished the Four Pillars, and the table of contents of Manifesto makes it sound like a rehash.

The critical reviews on Amazon are saying it's basically "Four Pillars Lite," cutting the page count by a third and not adding anything new. Which is kind of funny, because Four Pillars was already "Intelligent Asset Allocator Lite." So if you've already read Four Pillars, I'd skip it.

Otherwise people seem to like it. I might get a copy just to lend out to friends.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I liked it but it wasn't really anything new from Four Pillars. What it does have is a more opinionated tone (hence the word manifesto in the tile). I think it would be easier to read for a newbie, but if you already understood Four Pillars it won't teach you anything new.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I'm slowly wading my way through this thread... Why is ETrade lovely? My dad is proposing that I move all my 403a stuff from Fidelity to ETrade, should I be aware of something before the move?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
There is no reason to pay $10/trade for long term investments that you can get cheaper elsewhere, which is most of them. The first thing you should be aware of is the reason that you want to move from Fidelity in the first place. What is it?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

jomiel posted:

My dad is proposing that I move all my 403a stuff from Fidelity to ETrade, should I be aware of something before the move?
Yeah, gently caress eTrade.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

jomiel posted:

I'm slowly wading my way through this thread... Why is ETrade lovely? My dad is proposing that I move all my 403a stuff from Fidelity to ETrade, should I be aware of something before the move?

What was your fathers reasoning behind the move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
How do people feel about TIAA-CREF?