Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
As much as I love Wildstar's art style... yeaaaaaah. I wish there was body sliders so I could make a female character without massive breasts. Or at least if every race's women weren't overexaggerated supermodels with hourglass figures. It's really trite and doesn't fit at all for some of the races (sexy robots and animal girls, really?). I know that type of look is popular, but it's so boring.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Aexo posted:

Let's talk more about how stun is a terrible mechanic, and button mashing is a terrible solution, but offer no real solutions other than "just reduce the timer!"

That's actually the best solution though. I don't think anyone minds 1-2 second stuns any more than other forms of CC, it's just that stuns are mostly associated with Sap->Cheap Shot->5pt Kidney Shot->Dead.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arzachel posted:

That's actually the best solution though. I don't think anyone minds 1-2 second stuns any more than other forms of CC, it's just that stuns are mostly associated with Sap->Cheap Shot->5pt Kidney Shot->Dead.

Yeah, I dont think the problem is stuns but being repeatedly stunned until you are dead without being able to do anything. Stun breaks and diminishing returns on stuns help alleviate the problem. Making sure burst isn't high enough to take someone down before a stun is over is also crucial.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, let's reduce stun duration until it's effectively working like an interrupt. Stuns on player characters hold be around 5s/2.5s/nill(or 0.5s), with whatever choice of stun break you want.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Killer Queen posted:

As much as I love Wildstar's art style... yeaaaaaah. I wish there was body sliders so I could make a female character without massive breasts. Or at least if every race's women weren't overexaggerated supermodels with hourglass figures. It's really trite and doesn't fit at all for some of the races (sexy robots and animal girls, really?). I know that type of look is popular, but it's so boring.

Wait, theres no sliders? You just have ridiculously huge breasts no matter what? Thats kind of silly!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Wait, theres no sliders? You just have ridiculously huge breasts no matter what? Thats kind of silly!

Well that's a great Username/Avatar/Post combo right there.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Has anybody found any good info on crafting yet?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Has anybody found any good info on crafting yet?

I don't know if it qualifies as "good info"
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/8038/WildStar-Crafting-A-Deep-Experience.html

edit: to clarify - this article does a terrible job of explaining the crafting system

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 12, 2013

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

If there were sliders, the current breast size would probably be the smallest you could get. But then you could make each breast literally as large as an chua!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Ugh, personally I'm pissed that Carbine is making us assign genders to our characters against their will. If anything they should be able to self identify as a result of in-game experiences.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

rap music posted:

Ugh, personally I'm pissed that Carbine is making us assign genders to our characters against their will. If anything they should be able to self identify as a result of in-game experiences.

That's what Chua are for

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, that did suck. Do those people detesting stuns in this game not know about interrupt armor? It's applicable to players, too... And I'm pretty sure they have diminishing returns, too. So three ways they're working on making stuns less annoying, and that's not good enough? Maybe they'll have a WoW type PvP trinket, too? I have no idea if any class in Wildstar has a mechanic where being behind someone does more damage, but that's a legitimate reason to have stuns in a game, I think. Otherwise you're just negating an entire playstyle because "I don't like losing control of my character!" get over it.

rap music posted:

e:f;b
Or you could just be a Chua and chut up.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Aexo posted:

Yeah, that did suck. Do those people detesting stuns in this game not know about interrupt armor? It's applicable to players, too... And I'm pretty sure they have diminishing returns, too. So three ways they're working on making stuns less annoying, and that's not good enough? Maybe they'll have a WoW type PvP trinket, too? I have no idea if any class in Wildstar has a mechanic where being behind someone does more damage, but that's a legitimate reason to have stuns in a game, I think. Otherwise you're just negating an entire playstyle because "I don't like losing control of my character!" get over it.

Except no one is arguing that stuns are a good thing. The best I've seen so far is "less annoying in wildstar" which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. We can do a lot better with CC, like the temporary movement swapping disorient and all of that, so why do we still have a full on timeout you-can't-do-anything-but-sit-here-for-x-seconds stun? Even if you slap on the button mashing, it's still a few seconds where you're not controlling your character in the game world, plus you have a player ability whose entire purpose is to force another player to play a lovely minigame instead. You can have interesting CC in the game, and they do, so why are we trying to put complete loss of all control stuns in an mmo in this, the year of our lord 2013 (and soon to be 2014)?

Having a backstab mechanic in game isn't a justification for stuns. If the only way to make your build work is to make it a lovely experience for other players, maybe your build shouldn't exist.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

What I'm hearing is that I should focus on a stun based class and build just to gently caress with people in open world PvP after they have tagged several mobs.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Bauxite posted:

Except no one is arguing that stuns are a good thing.

What?

The argument is implicit that removing abilities that are interesting to use is a bad thing. Yes, stuns might be infuriating to play against (as, indeed, is most CC), but a game without stuns (or CC) is shallower and arguably more boring.

[edit] and every "interesting" cc mechanic I've ever encountered is either worthless as a CC, just as bad as stun/mez, or it jumps between those two states depending on the target player.

kznlol fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 12, 2013

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Footage of the starting Mechari/Cassian Arkship area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDX0F1Xiilc

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

kznlol posted:

The argument is implicit that removing abilities that are interesting

Stuns are interesting? They are pretty much the least interesting form of CC ever. Press button, target cannot do anything for X amount of seconds while you stab/shoot/pick flowers and that's it. There are tons of other CC options that are both more interesting for everyone and less infuriating to the dude getting stunned. CC is fine but straight up stuns are just lazy.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Stuns are interesting? They are pretty much the least interesting form of CC ever. Press button, target cannot do anything for X amount of seconds while you stab/shoot/pick flowers and that's it.

This is a description of every single skill type possible. What makes a skill interesting is deciding when you use it.

quote:

There are tons of other CC options that are both more interesting for everyone and less infuriating to the dude getting stunned. CC is fine but straight up stuns are just lazy.

You've only named one (reversing controls), and, like I said, it's trash. It's just as infuriating as a stun if you can't adapt to it, and it's completely worthless as a CC if the target can. Not to mention I have difficulty seeing how you can set it up so it doesn't instantly get bypassed by the use of autorun or similar functionality.

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy
Can anyone point me to the official notice about the NDA?
I do not know what I am allowed to share and what should be kept secret.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Grouchy Smurf posted:

Can anyone point me to the official notice about the NDA?
I do not know what I am allowed to share and what should be kept secret.

quote:

Hey everyone,

Having gone through this a couple times before, I know a press embargo lift can be a little confusing for beta testers. This post should hopefully clear up a couple common questions and concerns about it for everyone in the beta!

Has the WildStar NDA been lifted?
No, the NDA is still in effect. You may not discuss, stream, post images and video, or share any information about the content that you've experienced in beta.

So why can some website talk about the game?
Last week we held press events in San Francisco and London to show off the game to press, and allowed them to play the level 1-15 experience in order to post game previews beginning today (December 12th). The press were also granted limited access to the beta in order to continue playing for more coverage. Some outlets have been granted permission to livestream the game as well, however these are limited in scope and do not include everyone.

What can a beta tester talk about publicly now?
Anything you see covered in press articles can be discussed, however you must still keep your involvement in the beta a secret. Feel free to share your excitement for WildStar, watch livestreams, discuss the things that are now public, etc, but make sure you're not leaking anything directly from the beta!

When will the NDA be lifted/when can I talk about my game experiences publicly?
We'll let you know when this happens, but I think it's safe to say that the plan is to lift the NDA early next year. We want to ensure there is plenty of time between the NDA lifting and launch for everyone to get hyped up about WildStar, preorder the game, and join us for beta!

Hopefully this clears up the most common questions, but if you have any additional ones, let us know!

Thanks,
David

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

kznlol posted:

This is a description of every single skill type possible. What makes a skill interesting is deciding when you use it.

No its not, reading comprehension 101 please.

kznlol posted:

You've only named one (reversing controls), and, like I said, it's trash. It's just as infuriating as a stun if you can't adapt to it, and it's completely worthless as a CC if the target can. Not to mention I have difficulty seeing how you can set it up so it doesn't instantly get bypassed by the use of autorun or similar functionality.

I haven't mentioned anything but if you want a list of CC that is better than stuns sure!

Sheeps/blind etc-- Long CC removed on damage taken
Daze/silence-- Maintain Control of your character but cannot use skills
Roots-- Cannot move but free to do things
Short Duration Fear- Briefly lose control but don't simply stand in one spot, also breaks on a damage threshold

But sure, lets just have a CC mechanic where you both cannot fight back and you have to take it for the entire duration because WoW did it for years.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BadLlama posted:

Stupid poo poo About Stuns

Please stop posting. More than HALF of the things you listed still required you to "stand there and take it" for the most part. Stuns and CCs are an integral part of PVP and if you can't or choose not to deal with it then PVP probably isn't the thing for you.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Please stop posting. More than HALF of the things you listed still required you to "stand there and take it" for the most part. Stuns and CCs are an integral part of PVP and if you can't or choose not to deal with it then PVP probably isn't the thing for you.

Thanks for poo poo posting your bad opinions about mechanics you know little about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This thread stuns and dazes me.

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy
Game mechanics 101:

CC used to exist so people can take over superior fortress. Thankfully we moved away from AoE 40 second disables.
CC nowadays exist simply as a counter to high-cooldownd abilities, and are balanced around 1v1.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I don't understand why this game even needs to have damage or healing.

Shouldn't we move forward in the genre and think about something new for a change?

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Sheeps/blind etc-- Long CC removed on damage taken

How is this not "press button, target cannot do anything for X seconds while you pick flowers"?

If your issue is actually with stuns as a CC that doesn't break on damage, that's a different point entirely, and one I can understand.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Hopefully reading this new Tale From Beyond the Fringe will make people stop bitching about CC for a few minutes.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/comics/b-team_001.php

edit: ah gently caress they mention cc in the comic

rap music fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 12, 2013

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
http://www.twitch.tv/ninjalooterde pretty good stream, she's doing pvp now with a warrior.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Pindakaas posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/ninjalooterde pretty good stream, she's doing pvp now with a warrior.

Nice find, thanks!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

An hour of Mordesh Engineer/Settler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in8ofnWOiGk

Aexo
May 16, 2007

rap music posted:

What I'm hearing is that I should focus on a stun based class and build just to gently caress with people in open world PvP after they have tagged several mobs.

Yes. That's fun. For me, at least.

I'm the dick that mind controlled people off bridges and the high cap point that PvP battleground (which name escapes me) in WoW. That's fun to me. Why is it fun for me? Because I imagine the person on the other end getting REALLY bent out of shape about it. When it happened to me? Good show! Not a lot of people were good at it... at least on my server. It's still fun for me.

Sapping someone and uncloaking to dance with them was a fun. Stunning someone and dancing with them was fun. Bubble-hearth was fun. Sometimes I'd have a paladin bubble and we'd have to take a dance party break because there's nothing I could do to remove the bubble, so why the hell not? We're in this game to have fun.

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm gonna have to agree with this. I don't think I have seen anything constructive posted in here about CC yet. Just mentioning mechanics that already exist and whining that about losing control of your character. Well now they've given you a means to regain control, but that's not good enough? Come now... Just script a button that when pressed mashes the key for you, and you only have to hold it down once till it's over!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

kznlol posted:

If your issue is actually with stuns as a CC that doesn't break on damage, that's a different point entirely, and one I can understand.

I do not have any issues with CC at all unless that CC makes it so you have no control of your character at all AND you are fully susceptible to as much damage as can be applied to you while under that CC which is only limited by the amount of time the CC last for. It is quite humorous if someone finds the above unfun they must obviously not pvp in vida games at all, surely anyone that pvps enjoys every single aspect about the current standard 100% of the time.

Bauxite posted:

There is a lot of interesting CC in games like these, yet somehow people have this massive hardon for the least interesting one of them all, probably because it's the most powerful version of any of them because of how absolute it is.

+1

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 12, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Aexo posted:

I'm gonna have to agree with this. I don't think I have seen anything constructive posted in here about CC yet. Just mentioning mechanics that already exist and whining that about losing control of your character. Well now they've given you a means to regain control, but that's not good enough? Come now... Just script a button that when pressed mashes the key for you, and you only have to hold it down once till it's over!

So the solution to stuns suck is to have me make another button to hit, but not adding any complexity to the mechanic at any layer. There's no opportunity cost for me to hit the macro or button mash or whatever, so effectively the stun is just half of what it is against mobs. Why don't we just cut out the middle man and make it half against players base? Well, then you've got a still boring mechanic to deal with, so how about we just do away with it? It's not a hard train of logic to follow.

Polymorph, for example, is more interesting because it has some pretty heavy opportunity costs for the person using it. It will disorient them, but it will also break on damage and heal them to full if you leave it on too long. The opportunity cost goes up the longer you wait, so there's actual depth to using the thing in a 1v1 situation. In small group, you can assume other people will be there to pick up the pieces if you get stunned, so the counterplay there comes from other people reacting to your dilemma.

I liked mind controlling people off of bridges too, because mind control is an interesting mechanic. You can't have them pull out their sword and kill themselves, so you have to do something else with them to make it work, either throwing them off high ledges or using them against their friends. There is a lot of interesting CC in games like these, yet somehow people have this massive hardon for the least interesting one of them all, probably because it's the most powerful version of any of them because of how absolute it is.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
The button mashing seems like it'd be less annoying if it was a normal movement button.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

ChickenArise posted:

The button mashing seems like it'd be less annoying if it was a normal movement button.

This I totally agree with. I'm not sure why they didn't go with a rapid alternation between W and D instead of having to mash the interact button.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

This thread stuns and dazes me.

It's okay man, mash the back button to break out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bauxite posted:

Well, then you've got a still boring mechanic to deal with, so how about we just do away with it? It's not a hard train of logic to follow.

This is an incredibly simplistic way of thinking that probably lead to something like what happened to GW2s lack of the trinity. "People dont like to roll tanks or healers and this creates problems when finding groups therefore they are a bad thing that we must remove" The problem is that Tanks and healers are vital in creating order in encounter as they are basically walking CC. Its folly to remove them without understanding why they exist in the first place.

Same thing with stuns. They have a vital part in just about any PvP system in MMOs or MOBAs that involves disparity in mobility, attack range and burst potential. And while yeah, everyone agrees that stuns are the best form of CC. But they dont come without opportunity cost. They tend to have longer cooldowns, shorter duration and in some cases can be entirely voided if the player decides to unload his array of stuns while the enemy is immune to them.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Ok, you want complex? How about you have to type "I really hate stuns." as fast as possible to break it? That's complex, right? What kind of complexity are you looking for? You say the problem is that it isn't complex, but offer no solutions that would make you happy. I'm just trying to get some kind of engagement with the people denouncing stuns and how stupid the mechanic is. Removing it is not only a stupid solution (that's my opinion), it's not going to happen (that's very likely a fact), so let's brainstorm a better solution!

I get the train of thought. I just disagree. It gives me an advantage to break my keyboard faster than you (button mash). I don't mind stuns. If there's one CC I hated in WoW, it was polymorph, because that just left me running around for x number of seconds. At least sap was an out of combat thing, and meant there was something interesting coming my way. Normally, I'd just get polymorphed while my team mates got focused down, and then I was the next in line to die.

Didn't stuns usually require something? Like on a rogue, x number of combo points or whatever? And the pallie had something like a seal that had to be consumed? I can't remember, it's been a while since I played WoW. But I seem to recall some kind of give/take to get a stun going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

It's okay man, mash the back button to break out.

:roflolmao:

How is it that we had an NDA drop today and goons are still bickering about hypothetical CC mechanics with well formatted paragraphs.

• Locked thread