Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

LogisticEarth posted:

I think it's used well when the person in question is getting tremendously bent out of shape for not having a good team, or can't take a joke or something.

If someone's being a whiny rear end in a top hat about a videogame, call them a whiny rear end in a top hat. If they don't know how to enjoy themselves, call them something relevant to that.

If you call them a "tryhard", all you're saying is "I think effort is dumb", which doesn't insult anyone but yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Apologies if this has already been brought up. Are you guys aware of certain servers that can some how turn on "motd" which runs the ads in the splash screen?

I just want to ask if this is a known thing? If it isn't I will give details and submit a report but I'm guessing not much gets passed you guys.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Options, disable HTML motds.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Options, disable HTML motds.

You misunderstand. There is a cluster of servers that uncheck that box on joining. I have experienced servers that bypass it and still play ads but not this.

I won't link it here because I don't want to give them free ad hits but I'll submit a report.

Do I submit is as an "unlisted bug"?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 11, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Every time this gets posted, I marvel at the editing at ~1:45. Probably the best in a regular frag vid

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM26ODfUy8

:stare: I had no idea he was a great TF2 player. This stuff makes me wanna get better at the game. As opposed to the mediocre Scout and Soldier I'm already at. I'm sure I'd be better if my game didn't stutter occasionally and get me stuck in a corner too though. :argh:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Every time I try to blacklist a server, the blacklist current server button is greyed out. How do I blacklist the server I'm on when the random server button sticks me on a lovely server with obvious hackers?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

rodbeard posted:

Every time I try to blacklist a server, the blacklist current server button is greyed out. How do I blacklist the server I'm on when the random server button sticks me on a lovely server with obvious hackers?

Quit out of the server, go into the History tab of your server browser, let it load completely, right click the server on the top of the list.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

Y'all have fun with this until it gets patched in the morning. At least it's hilarious this time instead of totally game breaking.

link to video
As of this post, this glitch is still in. So the few times I've been playing tf2 week, I've just been doing this. Had better luck as soldier with the jumper and equalizer and pyro with rainblower. So good to get a kill with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlE3dyDezxQ

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

:( please stop sharing this video

(I'm the guy who dies at the end)

I put together a little video of the last Friday Night Funhavers when we all went Sniper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqz8PQ_PaSo

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Jippa posted:

You misunderstand. There is a cluster of servers that uncheck that box on joining. I have experienced servers that bypass it and still play ads but not this.

I won't link it here because I don't want to give them free ad hits but I'll submit a report.

Do I submit is as an "unlisted bug"?

Whenever I get a server that does this, I just report it with F7, then leave. IIRC that doesn't ask you to choose a category, you just select "abusive game server" then type out what's up.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

:( please stop sharing this video

(I'm the guy who dies at the end)

I put together a little video of the last Friday Night Funhavers when we all went Sniper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqz8PQ_PaSo

Please stop sharing this video, I'm the guy who dies at the end.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

http://store.valvesoftware.com/product.php?i=BGTF001

So I guess this is how you get that chess item.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 12, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I wish this was a bit cheaper. As much as I love chess and pissing away money, I don't think I can justify spending $100 on a novelty chess set.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Ouch, $100. I like dumb novelty chess sets in general (I have that goofy rear end Super Mario-themed chess set, for example), but I can't justify buying one at that price point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Doesn't it also have wonky rules that deal with switching hats and isn't just straight-up chess? That turns me off of buying it along with the price, honestly.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Doesn't it also have wonky rules that deal with switching hats and isn't just straight-up chess? That turns me off of buying it along with the price, honestly.

I don't think so. You're able to switch hats so that you can have whichever class be whichever piece.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Mercury Crusader posted:

Ouch, $100. I like dumb novelty chess sets in general (I have that goofy rear end Super Mario-themed chess set, for example), but I can't justify buying one at that price point.

Knowing the TF2 economy, you could make half of that back by selling the hat.

It's 17% off already, buy one now!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Gotta say another problem is the class/piece selection. Heavy as King? Please, that's medic. Of course you run into the problem of having 9 classes and 6 kinds of chess pieces, but hey.

It should be:

King - Medic (the game-winning piece)
Queen - Heavy (sorry, but he is pretty strong + a team should only have one)
Bishops - Demo (Highly mobile)
Knights - Soldiers (Highly mobile, moves funny because of walljumps)
Rooks - Engineer/Snipers (dangerous over long straight lines, castle = sentry nest)
Pawns - Scouts/Pyros (Throw them into the battle, weak, easy sacrifice, actually pyros would work better since W+M1 = Pawns can't move backward)

No spy, he doesn't fit into the game of chess.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Gotta say another problem is the class/piece selection. Heavy as King? Please, that's medic. Of course you run into the problem of having 9 classes and 6 kinds of chess pieces, but hey.

It should be:

Rooks - Engineer/Snipers (dangerous over long straight lines, castle = sentry nest)
Pawns - Scouts/Pyros (Throw them into the battle, weak, easy sacrifice, actually pyros would work better since W+M1 = Pawns can't move backward)

That's why you can swap out the bases/hats!

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Magypsy posted:

Knowing the TF2 economy, you could make half of that back by selling the hat.

It's 17% off already, buy one now!

You mean 100%+ of it back. Hat traders mostly regard the physical goods as literal husks, to be thrown or discarded once you attain the dlc key, and sometimes to sell the physical goods for however much they can manage. I use every part of the buffalo however.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 12, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Uncle Enzo posted:

Instead of chess, they should've licensed Stratego.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Uncle Enzo posted:

It should be:

Role hats are swappable

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Uncle Enzo posted:

If you get a pawn to the other side of the board he decloaks behind the enemy team and acts as a piece of your choice.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Mercury Crusader posted:

Instead of chess, they should've licensed Stratego.

I want to empty quote this forever. But if it was Stratego, every class would be Spy on one side :v:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

It should be:

Them's fighting words son. A good scout is no weak, easy sacrifice. A good scout is a massive jerk who just won't get hit and when you manage to do some damage he's gone but not really because he's fast enough to come back via a different path.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Slime posted:

Them's fighting words son. A good scout is no weak, easy sacrifice. A good scout is a massive jerk who just won't get hit and when you manage to do some damage he's gone but not really because he's fast enough to come back via a different path.

But then when two Scouts come head to head they both start bouncing around too much to hit each other until someone else just comes along and kills one of them. They're perfect pawns!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

LAY-ZX posted:

But then when two Scouts come head to head they both start bouncing around too much to hit each other until someone else just comes along and kills one of them. They're perfect pawns!

I'd dispute it, but this literally happened to me right before I read your post.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Slime posted:

I'm no expert at chess but I am fairly certain that most players consider their pawns to be more important for holding a position on the board than their queen; and I have been told it is sometimes superior to let your queen die to keep a well placed pawn.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I envision it like this:

King - Fists of Steel Heavy - Slow, grabs the attention of the enemy team. Can be defeated when caught out. Loves the Medic.
Queen - Kritz Medic - Can inflict lots of punishment, if you keep him alive. Very high priority target for the opponent.
Knights - Rocket Jumper Soldier & Sticky Jumper Demo - Explosive jump over obstacles to stay mobile and engage opponents up close.
Pawns - YER Spies - Weak, limited range, won't contest enemies head-on. Not very useful until he gets behind enemy lines to "grab a disguise."
Rooks- Wrangler Engineer & Stock Sniper - Control over long sightlines. The tower can either be a turret or a sniper perch.
Bishops- Stock + Cleaver Scout, Stock + Flare + Powerjack Pyro - Mobile, capable of ranged pressure, a preference for flank (diagonal) routes

That said, I don't like chess enough (or have enough funny money lying around) to want to drop a hundo on this one, especially since I've already dumped plenty of money into collecting stuff like stranges and will likely drop even more in the future picking up killstreak junk as the price drops to somewhere reasonable

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Look at all these nerdy words about chess and TF2.

If I set my chess on fire does that make it unusual?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GameboyHero posted:

As of this post, this glitch is still in. So the few times I've been playing tf2 week, I've just been doing this. Had better luck as soldier with the jumper and equalizer and pyro with rainblower. So good to get a kill with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlE3dyDezxQ

I was really scared this was gonna be a video of you doing it to me (fat bearded man) on dustbowl last night. I was typing and when I saw a bonked scout come down the stairs I was backspacing as hard as I could "poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress"

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Uncle Enzo posted:

Unless we're talking about Stealth Chess, a variant popular with the Assassins' guild of Discworld.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 13, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I'm really enjoying the new MvM stuff and the killstreak stuff is cool but this right here is really pissing me off

Why can't I craft 3 of the fuckers into one big one or something

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Hint: Put everything on the Steam Market for like $5/ea and that way no one buys them and they aren't clogging up your backpack!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Backpack expanders are $1. I don't mean that as in "just pay real money to hold your virtual items!" I mean that as in "They shower you with garbage so you'll be inclined to buy backpack expanders".

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It only goes up to 1000 items with bp expanders. 2 pages per class and 2 for multi class miscs. poo poo fills up fast.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

That was the old limit - valve since doubled it to 2000 slots, or 40 pages.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It'd be great to have a more complex inventory sorting feature so that you don't end up with a big garbage pile where duplicates get mixed in all over the place. Something like "set all [x] class items to page [y]".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Reminder: Tomorrow's funhavers will be soldiers with righteous bisons and rocket jumpers. ;)

See you in the laserzone.

• Locked thread