Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I feel like the lights were a bit hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Got together with a few friends, playing with makeup and hanging out.

105A0444_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

105A0437_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

105A0384_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

105A0361_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

First time using my new light, so that was fun, and I got a lot of practice with retouching. Next time more focus on posing and environment.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Hey y'all!

As part of the ~Secret Santa Thread Swap~, enjoy your time in TFLC! Tell them how to take good pictures of they swole selves.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 11, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
To emphasize swole physiques I recommend contrast lighting, as shadows from muscles will exaggerate their appearance.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Thanks SoundMonkey for letting us borrow this thread! Everybody here takes selfies from time to time so we'd appreciate any tips you got. And examples :wink:.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I think a lot of you need to work on your composition too, I am seeing lots of unflattering poses in this forum. If you are a bit overweight, I suggest strategically placing a pillow in front of some of your mass to move the focus away from that, and back onto your face.

Also some of you need to stop blanking out your faces.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Shine posted:

Thanks SoundMonkey for letting us borrow this thread! Everybody here takes selfies from time to time so we'd appreciate any tips you got. And examples :wink:.

Here is a tip, dont take selfies with poo poo lighting and bad camera phones.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

RangerScum posted:

I think a lot of you need to work on your composition too

Yeah, your body composition, mister photographer man :smug:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I mean really, putting the cellphone up over your face or in your torso can cause a fair amount of distortion causing you to be even more fat/ugly. TMYK.

A tripod (high counter top) and some form of wireless remote shutter release or setting a 10 second timer even on the junkiest junk tier Canon Point and Shoot is 10000x better than most of the selfies you see in FLC

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Musket posted:

Here is a tip, dont take selfies with poo poo lighting and bad camera phones.

Okay peeps I'm calling a TFLC huddle, single overhead spotlights are no longer good enough.

I'm gonna award a free forum upgrade (or anonymous custom title for another user) to whomever posts the best fitness portrait photo between now and Christmas. TFLC and Dorkroom regulars are both welcome. Please include a sign with your username somewhere in the portrait.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

SoundMonkey posted:

My body is a temple.

Shine posted:

Okay peeps I'm calling a TFLC huddle, single overhead spotlights are no longer good enough.

I'm gonna award a free forum upgrade (or anonymous custom title for another user) to whomever posts the best fitness portrait photo between now and Christmas. TFLC and Dorkroom regulars are both welcome. Please include a sign with your username somewhere in the portrait.

If anyone wants to hire me to consult I accept buttcoins.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A lot of cameras (especially non dslr) don't have the option for a wireless remote ... but nearly every camera has a self timer. Its incredible how many people never use it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Just to get people started I'll offer this helpful tip:

Low-light, high angle, pouty-lip duck face selfies taken in the shitter are never a good idea.

But seriously, top light makes your muscles look better (and lots of light improves image quality) and get some post workout pump going on. Everyone else does in all the movies/magazines.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 11, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Verman posted:

A lot of cameras (especially non dslr) don't have the option for a wireless remote ... but nearly every camera has a self timer. Its incredible how many people never use it.

The proest of tips: on most point & shoots (at least last I checked), it focuses when you set the self-timer, not when it takes the picture. Meaning it's focusing on whatever's behind where you're going to stand. Great for ~family photos~, no so great for the selfies. Put something where you're going to be, let it focus on that, then go kick it out of the way before the timer goes off.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
1) Take the photo in the morning, when you are the most depleted of water especially if you have abs.
2) Like the others said: position the light above the head or level with the head, downwards, between yourself and the camera. It will create contrasting shadows.
3) This light needs to be consistent if you are going for transformation pics
4) Wear workout clothes that are flattering for your body.
5) Give yourself a quick pump (high volume, low intensity) before the photo is taken (pushups, pullups, curls, etc)

Samples of light above the head:

If you want to show off your body and need photos, and you are in FL, I am available. Here is some of my work: http://www.luisx.com/Photoshoots/Fitness

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
This seems cool but also potentially damaging to my already fragile ego so I will watch with interest but probably not participate

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

LuisX posted:

1) Take the photo in the morning, when you are the most depleted of water especially if you have abs.*

*Unless you are a bro, in which case consider doing them post-lifting. ~VEINS~

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Oh, I forgot to add: for some of my shoots I add baby oil/water/vegetable oil (lol) to add specular highlights (shiny). This might be overkill though.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Okay misjudged

Buzkashi fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 12, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Buzkashi posted:

Coconut oil worked well for me. I just need a non shite camera. Note that this pic is from like five months ago when I had appreciable abs.

We have a thread called "raunchy diagonal gently caress muscle" and for some reason I DIDN'T think to move it here :confused:

(It's all full of spergy camera chat really)

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Saw those referred to as "cum gutters" on these here forums recently. Perfect.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Sharks Below posted:

Saw those referred to as "cum gutters" on these here forums recently. Perfect.

I must credit forums user and noted shitposter Helmacron for "raunchy diagonal gently caress muscle", but damned if I didn't immediately know what he was talking about.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

SoundMonkey posted:

I must credit forums user and noted shitposter Helmacron for "raunchy diagonal gently caress muscle", but damned if I didn't immediately know what he was talking about.

Yes that too is a most apt description!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Sharks Below posted:

Yes that too is a most apt description!

Sometimes that man has a way with words, sometimes he doesn't, but with that... kablammo.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Here is my submission to the thread:

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
You're not a true bro if you take legit pics instead of selfies.

That said expect my submission on Christmas eve, giving me a few weeks to inject all the steroids, and eat none of the carbs.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

After Leg Day.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Awesome pics. Great lighting. Look thick. Solid. Good white balance. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new strobes or shoot-through umbrellas. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' high-contrast, backlit, and low key you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Musket posted:

After Leg Day.
Is that a young Rowan Atkinson? Maybe a deleted scene from the Blackadder Goes Forth Christmas episode?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

SoundMonkey posted:

My body composition follows the rule of thirds: One third fat, one third bone, and the other third is the DSLR i'm currently holding.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Is that a young Rowan Atkinson? Maybe a deleted scene from the Blackadder Goes Forth Christmas episode?

Just one of my drinkin pals.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
When taking self portraits ("selfies") in my house, what is the best way to arrange the dirty laundry and children's toys on the floor? I feel like they're laying a bit flat right now

In this example, the unmade bed and pile of clothes are mostly obscured by my staggeringly beautiful body. I feel like I should have arranged the dirty sweatpants and tanktop to make it seem as though I'd spontaneously exploded out my clothing. I also neglected to leave any child's toys out.

Does color of the laundry affect things? I'm partially colorblind so I'll need special assistance there. I'm also interested in knowing how to catch the most dramatic angle to the leftover skivvies and the towel that I've showered with 4 times now. I'm pretty bad at this whole photography thing, so I feel like I need help to up my game. Thanks photogoons!

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Submission for whatever inbound:

Rogue
May 11, 2002

I'll put mine in too, straight from the ol' basement.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Sorry to derail this from all the sexy selfies, but I wanted to post a few shots from a shoot I did with a friend a few weeks ago. I'm shooting her again tomorrow so any feedback is great. She's not really a model so her expression is pretty same-y in all the shots, gonna focus on having her be more dynamic next time.

Untitled by audiesumaray, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

trip9 posted:

Sorry to derail this from all the sexy selfies,

I'm not exactly sure what happened above there, but I say we take this thread back!

Ashley by SPV Photo, on Flickr

When does this thread go back to the Dorkroom?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

trip9 posted:

Sorry to derail this from all the sexy selfies, but I wanted to post a few shots from a shoot I did with a friend a few weeks ago. I'm shooting her again tomorrow so any feedback is great. She's not really a model so her expression is pretty same-y in all the shots, gonna focus on having her be more dynamic next time.

Not feeling the last one but the first three are all great. Really nice use of light. Was it all natural?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm not exactly sure what happened above there, but I say we take this thread back!

Ashley by SPV Photo, on Flickr

When does this thread go back to the Dorkroom?

Here skin looks too smoothed (especially her chest and chin) and orange.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Yay, the portrait thread is back! I've taken a number of them recently. Been trying to back away a little bit; I tend to reflexively get close in to faces. Still doing it here, but attempting to mix it up a bit.

Mr Jackson by thetzar, on Flickr

Pennsylvania is the place by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

thetzar posted:

Yay, the portrait thread is back! I've taken a number of them recently. Been trying to back away a little bit; I tend to reflexively get close in to faces. Still doing it here, but attempting to mix it up a bit.

I dig 'em. It's probably the style you're going for, but I'd want to see the light sections of their faces brought up a tad, to keep it a tad more contrasty.

The background you have going on there, is that something reflected/projected onto a wall or something? I like it in a "break up the negative space without being distracting" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bisticles posted:

I dig 'em. It's probably the style you're going for, but I'd want to see the light sections of their faces brought up a tad, to keep it a tad more contrasty.

The background you have going on there, is that something reflected/projected onto a wall or something? I like it in a "break up the negative space without being distracting" kind of way.

Thanks! And yeah, I intentionally cut down on the orange channels a bit, going for a little smidgeon of the tintype look. The background is a wall painted with blackboard paint; scribbled up some marks, then erased them badly. The same effect can be faked by doing the same thing to a large sheet of black foamcore.