Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I really, really, really want to know what school of comedy says this is a good idea. It almost never is.
The Family Guy school.

Generally speaking, you have to be really funny in the first place to pull off anti-humor (of any sort) well. When the RLM guys do the "we're really bad actors" shtick, it's kinda funny because they're pretty good actors otherwise. When Phelous does "I'm SUCH a bad actor" or "see how unfunny this joke is"...

Well, you get my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
New Todd in the Shadows: "Counting Stars" vs. "Demons"

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/counting-stars-vs-demons-a-pop-song-s-review-6701954

The results might surprise you

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lupa gets back to the Witchcraft series

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

The Nostalgia Critic did Eight Crazy Nights.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/41613-eight-crazy-nights

He seemed to really, really hate it. A lot of his gags seemed a lot more mean-spirited than usual.

That was incredibly mean spirited by his usual standards. But, so was Eight Crazy Nights. Doug hit the nail on the head with the film presenting us this detestable character and trying to make him sympathetic by shoving in a miserable backstory, which only succeeds in making one hate the movie more.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Also I don't think he touched on the fact that the movie is incredibly short. It's 68 minutes making it one of the shortest major motion pictures I think I've ever seen.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
You really want that poo poo to be longer?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

A lot of Angry Joe's videos are now flagged for copyright violations thanks to YouTube's excessive Content ID system. :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

A lot of Angry Joe's videos are now flagged for copyright violations thanks to YouTube's excessive Content ID system. :v:

Wouldn't this be happening to essentially everyone with any kind of game-related show? Apparently the retarded system is just blanket-flagging everything with claims the respective companies didn't make, ignoring Fair Use laws, etc.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

cubs2084 posted:

That was incredibly mean spirited by his usual standards. But, so was Eight Crazy Nights. Doug hit the nail on the head with the film presenting us this detestable character and trying to make him sympathetic by shoving in a miserable backstory, which only succeeds in making one hate the movie more.

I gotta say, I hated the running gag with the Happy Madison fans, mostly because of how annoying they were, but also because it's a really wretched generalization. Even Sandler fans are likely to find the Who's On First routine funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spark That Bled posted:

I gotta say, I hated the running gag with the Happy Madison fans, mostly because of how annoying they were, but also because it's a really wretched generalization. Even Sandler fans are likely to find the Who's On First routine funny.

He's not saying those are Sandler's real fans, he's saying that's the audience Happy Madison plays to. He's not saying if you like him you're that stupid, he's saying Sandler treats you like you are.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

ZeeBoi posted:

And he made an 18-minute rant about it, no less. They're even flagging interviews he made with actual developers and publishers - which he would *obviously* have permission to display. Apparently the vast majority of LPers are getting knocked down left and right as well.

It's particularly obnoxious since it appears these were takedowns done without the permission of the actual rights holders.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Rebochan posted:

And he made an 18-minute rant about it, no less. They're even flagging interviews he made with actual developers and publishers - which he would *obviously* have permission to display. Apparently the vast majority of LPers are getting knocked down left and right as well.

It's particularly obnoxious since it appears these were takedowns done without the permission of the actual rights holders.

While Joe says he doesn't like getting in front of a webcam and ranting, he does it in a very compelling way. That was intense, and it really is a shame that Youtube is putting these people in a vice grip.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Rebochan posted:

Abloo abloo youtube is flagging videos that use copywrited material how dare they. :qq:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I think his reviews are under fair use and the interviews Angry Joe set up and recorded himself would rightfully belong to him. He doesn't do Let's Plays (that often).

Anyway, I haven't watched Oancitizen for quite some time and goddamn that Yeelen review. Goddamnit, that was less an internet movie review and more of a video thesis. Hugely impressed all around.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 13, 2013

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.

Mogambo posted:

Abloo abloo youtube is flagging videos that use copywrited material how dare they. :qq:

Man, if you've gotta be a smuglord about copyright "infringement" of this sort being aggressively "defended," at least spell it properly.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Mogambo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuTHhtCyzLg

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Anukis posted:

Man, if you've gotta be a smuglord about copyright "infringement" of this sort being aggressively "defended," at least spell it properly.

It's cool to deflect the argument that the video game man is giant baby about profiting from other peoples work because I mispelled a word.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mogambo posted:

It's cool to deflect the argument that the video game man is giant baby about profiting from other peoples work because I mispelled a word.

Eh, Joe does put a decent ammount of effort into his work. He's a videogame reviewer, mostly. It's not like all he's doing is talking over videogame footage like the lazier LPers.

It's not like he's that worthless Pewdiepie (this whole fiasco would be worthwhile if it killed HIS "career")

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.

Mogambo posted:

I have far deeper objections than that, but this probably isn't the thread for it (I'll cede that he was acting like a baby-man; seems like maybe his schtick tbh). It's a largely ideological divide, anyways, that's been around since at least debates over music sampling or pop art or [examples from millenia earlier]. I will say, though, that people enjoy seeing other people talk about the media and culture they consume. It's not such a simple thing to do well, whether you're trying to be Roger Ebert or Ryan Davis or Red Letter Media, and it's not a form of theft.

On a less heated-derail-y kind of note, I'm also really enjoying Oancitizen's output since I started watching recently.

Anukis fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 13, 2013

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

BreakAtmo posted:

ignoring Fair Use laws, etc.

It's important to remember that fair use is a defense to an infringement claim, not something that stops claims from happening in the first place. Which means that with YouTube using an overly aggressive system like this, it's going to flag everything (on behalf of copyright holders, even though they didn't ask for it, I suppose) and then require the video owners to dispute the claims based on fair use (which Joe's reviews fall under even more clearly than many other internet reviewers' material) or other grounds.

Incidental to all this, I'd be fascinated to see a copyright case go to court within this little industry, though I wouldn't wish that on any of my friends who do this themselves. That would only happen after a copyright owner claimed a violation, the reviewer/critic filed a counterclaim, Blip/Youtube/whoever sided with the reviewer, and then the copyright owner decided to press on by suing the site and/or the individual (which explains why nothing has gotten that far yet - it's hardly worth the trouble). No single case would seriously shake up what's going on now - copyright claims and fair use defenses are all about the specifics of each case - but it might provide some guidelines specific to this kind of content that don't exist yet.

Edit: I'm not a lawyer, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night had to take a class on First Amendment law in college, so I don't claim to be an expert on any of this - I just have sort of a broad knowledge of the subject.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 13, 2013

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Crosspost because it got some discussion in here a few days ago: Korey from Spill just started up a Kickstarter for a new site.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mogambo posted:

oh no how dare that dumb nerd video game player be angry at a stupid youtube policy abloo abloo gently caress nerds :smug:

The policy is idiotic and you should perhaps find out more about before throwing out sick burns on Angry Joe.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 13, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HorseRenoir posted:

Crosspost because it got some discussion in here a few days ago: Korey from Spill just started up a Kickstarter for a new site.
Already at over $4,000 in under 20 mins.

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Mogambo posted:

You are missing the point. Many of the Lets Players and reviewers have the explicit ok from the game companies to do exactly what they are doing. What they are currently being hit with are a combination of music rights owners claiming they own the rights to the music being played within the game, as well as various trolls that are false flagging accounts.

Essentially, the music rights owners think they should get 100% of the ad revenue for a video because there happens to be a song they own playing during a portion of it. (for example, a radio station within GTA playing in the background)

There are numerous game companies coming out of the woodwork to help get this fixed. They understand that Lets players are free advertising and shutting them down would only hurt them. Not to mention it would be a PR nightmare.

Here is a link to a few official company twitters that are looking into the matter.

http://i.imgur.com/YWlP1VU.jpg?1

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mogambo posted:

Hey man I made fun of the LPers crying about Nintendo not wanting them to make money off their poo poo and all, but even I think that maybe it's not Youtube's place to police FOR the people. Like, the issue is YT is doing this without any flagging from the companies involved, and that means things like, say, interviews are being flagged.

It's actually super stupid.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Already at over $4,000 in under 20 mins.

Nearly 20k now. I'd never went to Spill.com, but based on that video and the overwhelming support these guys are getting, I'll have to change that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ghostpilot posted:

Nearly 20k now. I'd never went to Spill.com, but based on that video and the overwhelming support these guys are getting, I'll have to change that.

http://spill.hollywood.com/Audio/AudioPost.aspx?audioId=1854

This is a good start.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Its already fully funded :drat:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

achillesforever6 posted:

Its already fully funded :drat:
I can't say I'm surprised, they have a big following, and $30K seemed a little modest IMO.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I guess Tekken isn't the first thing with nipplevampires. :shrug:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

It's time for the The 3rd Annual RLM Stream-a-thon!

Red Letter Media posted:

Hey everyone, let’s watch some stuff! We’re going to continue our now-traditional December all-day streaming event on Sunday, December 22 from noon to midnight (US central time). In addition to RLM shorts and features, this year will include many Best of the Worst-worthy shorts, public domain movies, and other oddities. Here’s the tentative line-up:

12:00 – RLM Shorts
12:30 – Mystery Feature Film #1
2:00 – The Rich Evans Anthology
2:30 – Best of the Worst extended screening #1
3:30 – Gorilla Interrupted
5:00 – Best of the Worst extended screening #2
5:30 – Mystery Feature Film #2
7:30 – “Classic” Rich Evans short films
8:00 – Santa Claus (1959)
9:30 – Mystery Shorts
10:15 – Where’s Deathlist?
10:30 – Mystery Feature Film #3

As usual, there will be bizarre short videos sprinkled throughout as well. Check back here or on our Facebook page on the 22nd for a link to the stream!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Lupa reviews Witchcraft 11, and so soon after the last one! If I didn't know any better I'd say the Witchcraft movies are pretty much just spinning their wheels at this point and Lupa's trying to get the retrospective over with.
At least the writers of this one remembered that the series *gasp* has a main character whom they brought back to life not two movies ago and then completely forgot about in the next movie. Like, yeah he's played by a different actor but that's par for the course now.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

dijon du jour posted:

Lupa reviews Witchcraft 11, and so soon after the last one! If I didn't know any better I'd say the Witchcraft movies are pretty much just spinning their wheels at this point and Lupa's trying to get the retrospective over with.
At least the writers of this one remembered that the series *gasp* has a main character whom they brought back to life not two movies ago and then completely forgot about in the next movie. Like, yeah he's played by a different actor but that's par for the course now.

Don't worry, 13 fixes everything! (okay it doesn't)

Truthfully I'm trying to complete the series before Christmas to finish out the year, so I'm being a bit speedier than normal. Doing a review from start to finish in 3 days isn't recommended, btw.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Spoony seems to think that putting out a 90 minute video on a player that resets whenever you leave it paused for a minute or so is an excellent idea.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Xander77 posted:

Spoony seems to think that putting out a 90 minute video on a player that resets whenever you leave it paused for a minute or so is an excellent idea.

Oh hey, when did Spoony start doing SWAT 4 again? I thought he finished that game forever ago.

e: Watching the video now and he is... really quiet. Like, I'm ten minutes in and he's barely said anything or made any jokes besides that old "You're in my way, sir." "GODDAMMIT REYNOLDS!" running gag.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 15, 2013

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Oh hey, when did Spoony start doing SWAT 4 again? I thought he finished that game forever ago.

e: Watching the video now and he is... really quiet. Like, I'm ten minutes in and he's barely said anything or made any jokes besides that old "You're in my way, sir." "GODDAMMIT REYNOLDS!" running gag.

I haven't watched the new episodes, but I'm pretty sure they were recorded from a livestream.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

dijon du jour posted:

I thought some of the newer missions he did on live stream. I saw one LP he did via livestream, it was called Darkstar I think. I watched it after he posted it to his site, and it was probably the most boring Spoony video I have ever seen. Very little talking, hardly any joking, I'm kind of stunned he thought this would work and people would watch all of it.

Xander77 posted:

It's also a 90 minute "Spoony Tries" video, I don't know how people could get through 90 minutes of that. Personally, I'd say break them up into 20-30 minute segments, but Spoony IMO has never really put any effort into his Vlogs.

Anyway, second episode of Random Button is out: http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/12/09/the-random-button-sex-and-lucia.aspx
It seems like Brad is doing a rotating cast, which I like in his midnight reviews. I also am really fond of his segment "Wait, that's on Blu-Ray?".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I know Diamanda Hagan isn't hugely beloved around here, but she's been tackling some ICP stuff with the Rap Critic. It's pretty entertaining and interesting for me as a person who doesn't know much about the weird weird world of the Insane Clown Posse.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/diamanda-hagan/41568-big-money-hustlas-with-rap-critic

http://blip.tv/rapcritic/rap-critic-and-diamanda-hagan-review-the-great-milenko-by-insane-clown-posse-album-review-6700592

http://blip.tv/diamanda-hagan-lecher-bitch/special-review-big-money-rustlas-hd-icp-month-pt3-6704171

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

I thought some of the newer missions he did on live stream. I saw one LP he did via livestream, it was called Darkstar I think. I watched it after he posted it to his site, and it was probably the most boring Spoony video I have ever seen. Very little talking, hardly any joking, I'm kind of stunned he thought this would work and people would watch all of it.

People complained and he posted a "They're my videos and I can do whatever I want with them so gently caress off." kind of response. You know, his usual bile. The dude would do Ayn Rand proud. I'm really surprised Angry Joe is friends with him since he seems to represent everything Joe hates about the whole "youtube celebrity" thing (low effort vlogs in a grungy room). That was when around I un-followed him on twitter since his release schedule (only reason why I followed him in the first place) is non-existent and seems content on being a jackass on twitter while retweeting the "yeah, you tell him!" cheer-leading sycophants send him. I think his latest rant on the "The thing you like is actually poo poo, fact." was on people getting really excited about the recent Godzilla trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man, Spoony's fall from grace is really depressing.

• Locked thread