Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That's a really good idea and would rule, but yeah I don't think he'll do it. Didn't a vision of Rhaegar show him believing Aegon was the prince who was promised? I mean obviously that dude's gonna get killed in like 3 chapters anyway, but I think that's more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All that would rule about it is the schadenfreude of people who expected something great and got a turd instead. It would be the ultimate shaggy dog story.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Moose King posted:

I know that was originally posted as a joke, but I still think it would be the absolute best ending to the series. People always talk about Gurm subverting expectations and genre conventions and poo poo, so having The Chosen One get his ribcage smashed in by Giant Angry Man With A Horned Helmet seventeen years before the first book even starts would be appropriate, imho.

Oh yeah, I saw it as a jokey post when it first came up, but it legit sounds like a nice way to close out the series. Not the "Westeros is burning" ending, but having Rhaegar being the dude everyone was actually talking about would be great. Especially with how often that event is referenced in the series, his POV would be an interesting read.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Max posted:

Oh yeah, I saw it as a jokey post when it first came up, but it legit sounds like a nice way to close out the series. Not the "Westeros is burning" ending, but having Rhaegar being the dude everyone was actually talking about would be great. Especially with how often that event is referenced in the series, his POV would be an interesting read.

The final chapter conludes with the red god forlornly shaking his head while muttering "...you idiots seriously killed him".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

fleshweasel posted:

All that would rule about it is the schadenfreude of people who expected something great and got a turd instead. It would be the ultimate shaggy dog story.

And shaggy dog stories are hilarious. Best possible ending.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Jeffrey posted:

That's a really good idea and would rule, but yeah I don't think he'll do it. Didn't a vision of Rhaegar show him believing Aegon was the prince who was promised? I mean obviously that dude's gonna get killed in like 3 chapters anyway, but I think that's more likely.

The fact that he has Varys behind him makes me think he has a drat good chance of surviving, actually. The Spider is going to live forever, if I have my way. Spider and cockroach, all in one.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 12, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Majorian posted:

The fact that he has Varys behind him makes me think he has a drat good chance of surviving, actually. The Spider is going to live forever, if I have my way. Spider and cockroach, all in one.
+ Merling, so 3 in 1. Roachfishspider. Like Manbearpig.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I smell a thread mascot.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I smell a thread mascot.
That's just Dany, on both accounts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Majorian posted:

Varys will show some real leadership in TWoW until you are invested even more in him and his plan to save everyone, and then Dany will swoop in and kill him anyway since she won't believe Aegon.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I dunno, I don't think he would have survived this long if he didn't know when to keep his head down. (which, in his position, is always)

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

And shaggy dog stories are hilarious. Best possible ending.

The best joke ending idea I've seen was in a comment on one of the AV Club's reviews of last season's episodes.

AV Club commenter posted:

The final scene of the book will be Davos, dying of a magical plague, wandering Skagos, thinking he's all alone in the world. His king is dead. Jon Snow is dead. The gods are dead. The Seven Kingdoms are coated in ice and snow. Dany plunged into the sea, and a warging Bran died as Drogon bit through Viseryon's neck.

He wanders for weeks, losing toes and fingers and the tips of his nose to frostbite. His failing eyes spot a black smudge on the white horizon, growing larger. He waits for the bear to kill him, to devour him, for at least then he'll die knowing something has survived. Instead he finds a savage looking child and his monstrous wolf.

"Rickon Stark?" Davos says, his voice nothing more than a harsh sigh, a death rattle.

"Yes," says the boy. "And this is my wolf, Shaggydog."

"Funny," says Davos, as life begins to leave him. "He's not that shaggy."

THE END.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

The best joke ending idea I've seen was in a comment on one of the AV Club's reviews of last season's episodes.

:golfclap:

That would be just wonderful.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Been staring us in the face for a thousand years.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Remarkable. GRRM needs to at least include this in the appendix as an alternate ending.

My ideal last chapter, as I think I've mentioned before, would be completely narrated by Hodor.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

All of these, of course, actually better than what we'll get. He could probably even have Bran warging back to Westeros to open the ancient tower door only to go through it and be riding in the very first chapter again and it would be better.

PS - well look at none of these wildcardy motherfuckers: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3593338

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

SaviourX posted:

All of these, of course, actually better than what we'll get. He could probably even have Bran warging back to Westeros to open the ancient tower door only to go through it and be riding in the very first chapter again and it would be better.

But this time he has the Horn of Joramun?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

gently caress, I did not know they are making a wild cards movie. Is there anything redeeming about those books? All I know about them I learned from this thread, and the only thing I remember hearing about is that one guy has magical rape powers or something.

more than one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Max posted:

battle Robert.

I read this as bathe Robert when my page initially loaded.
Considerably more likely, imo.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

returnh posted:

But this time he has the Horn of Joramun?

Coldhands fled across the arctic desert, and The Warg Child followed.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Speaking of, Coldhands is Benjen Stark, right?

E: googled it.. I'm wrong

CloFan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 12, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CloFan posted:

Speaking of, Coldhands is Benjen Stark, right?

E: googled it.. I'm wrong

Not neccesarily. I mean, you're not neccesarily wrong. People take Leaf's statement to be very decisive when in fact it might not be.

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013
GoT isn't a bad show. Yet anyway. It'll get worse after this season.

I really didn't like ADwD. It's the only book I ever genuinely regretted spending money on; and given the extent to which the writers of GoT have stuck to the general plotline of the series I can't think how they can possibly fix it so that the fifth and sixth seasons don't suck.

As for the books my attitude to them is: meh. The series is over for me because the twin shittyness of AFFC&ADwD has retroactively made the previous books worse.

The thing that I wonder though, was George always a bad writer, or is it just that he had an epic bout of writers block, was surrounded by an echochamber of fanboys, had books too popular for the publisher to limit his excesses and an editor that was too incompetent/too much of a fangirl to tell him straight up that he was making GBS threads over his own series?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

George is a legit good plotter and worldbuilder, and some of his dialogues are decent, if stylized (and stuck on certain phrases). Everything you say in the last paragraph is true, though. And unless you're A_H, his prose is decent, but not anything moving or artful.

I still love all the little hints from the past and family trees and unfolding schemes that make you go whoaaaa though. But I mean, the speed of the internet has hampered him. He can't reveal much new poo poo in the next books (which won't be finished) that people haven't theorycrafted, unless he goes and pulls a hard left everytime. Jon will be rezzed, the Harpy is that old lady, Dany will ride dragons with Tyrion and someone, Daaaaaario is dead as gently caress, Sam will blow the horn because he figures out things, Aegon is a pretender but it won't matter because Varys, etc, etc.

He set up the pieces, let them fall, set up a few more and took way too long to do it, and now we're left with... this. Again, it's his TV writing showing up. Create a world, characters, and plot arcs, and let them fly, with a whole shitload of dialogue/inner monologue, but not really a way to get to the end.

I still really like that the bits from Dunk and Egg influence/are referenced in some of the storylines in this, tho.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 13, 2013

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

AStrangeDuelist posted:

The thing that I wonder though, was George always a bad writer ...

GRRM makes an excellent college QB, but is not an NFL franchise quarterback. Sure, he sells seats, but can't close out games when it matters most. The Tim Tebow of the genre. Or Tony Romo. Or whoever. Mark Brunell?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SaviourX posted:

George is a legit good plotter and worldbuilder, and some of his dialogues are decent, if stylized (and stuck on certain phrases). Everything you say in the last paragraph is true, though. And unless you're A_H, his prose is decent, but not anything moving or artful.

I still love all the little hints from the past and family trees and unfolding schemes that make you go whoaaaa though. But I mean, the speed of the internet has hampered him. He can't reveal much new poo poo in the next books (which won't be finished) that people haven't theorycrafted, unless he goes and pulls a hard left everytime. Jon will be rezzed, the Harpy is that old lady, Dany will ride dragons with Tyrion and someone, Daaaaaario is dead as gently caress, Sam will blow the horn because he figures out things, Aegon is a pretender but it won't matter because Varys, etc, etc.

He set up the pieces, let them fall, set up a few more and took way too long to do it, and now we're left with... this. Again, it's his TV writing showing up. Create a world, characters, and plot arcs, and let them fly, with a whole shitload of dialogue/inner monologue, but not really a way to get to the end.

I still really like that the bits from Dunk and Egg influence/are referenced in some of the storylines in this, tho.

Really, it's the existence of book 4 and 5 that have killed it for me. I wish he could have stuck to his plan to just jump ahead 5 years. I don't think I learned a whole lot about anyone that I didn't already pretty much know by the end of book 3.

Except that Theon has suffered more than I ever thought possible.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

AStrangeDuelist posted:

GoT isn't a bad show. Yet anyway. It'll get worse after this season.

I really didn't like ADwD. It's the only book I ever genuinely regretted spending money on; and given the extent to which the writers of GoT have stuck to the general plotline of the series I can't think how they can possibly fix it so that the fifth and sixth seasons don't suck.

As for the books my attitude to them is: meh. The series is over for me because the twin shittyness of AFFC&ADwD has retroactively made the previous books worse.

The thing that I wonder though, was George always a bad writer, or is it just that he had an epic bout of writers block, was surrounded by an echochamber of fanboys, had books too popular for the publisher to limit his excesses and an editor that was too incompetent/too much of a fangirl to tell him straight up that he was making GBS threads over his own series?

I find GRRM is a short story writer at heart. Read the prologue/epilogue chapters, and some of the one-off chapters in books 4 and 5, they're fun they are a joy to read, and you can tell GRRM enjoys writing them. Some of his main character POVs read like even GRRM thinks its a slog to get through. I think he merely got bored with the main storyline itself. Maybe he should have given it a break for a book and just did some fully fleshed out Iron Island/Dorne stuff, or something, I dunno.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think you guys might be surprised to find out that GRRM owns.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think you guys might be surprised to find out that GRRM owns.

With his income I'd hardly expect him to rent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
ADWD is pretty boring but I feel like at the least it ended with a lot of stuff set up to happen. Stannis bout to gently caress poo poo up, Davos is off to cannibal island or whatever, Dany has poo poo some brown water and might be going back to go forward to go back to go forward to poo poo and be a dumbass, Bran is well on his way to becoming Professor Xavier, etc. Basically it feels like it ended right when things were about to finally get interesting again.

And that's where it will stay since the absolute fucker is never gonna finish another book. Or at best he will finish another book but it will be a rushed (for him) lovely mess because he's afraid the tv series will catch up to him.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

I dunno Victarion, Jon, Dany and Tyrion all becoming oathbreakers is pretty not boring and things happeningy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I thought the part in the North was pretty great :shobon:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I thought the part in the North was pretty great :shobon:

Due to a high concentration of Stannis.

e: Also, the best part of the show is the soundtrack by a distance.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 13, 2013

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Rome had the best stabbings on television.

Also it was really cool how the morality and viewpoint of the characters was so deeply rooted in their circumstances and characters made decisions based on what makes sense in the actual context of ancient Rome as opposed to trying to comment on modern morality which was a rare treat.

If you didn't get a little choked up when Ceasar died you're a broken human being. It's staged exactly like the historical record said - trying to cover his face with his robe while he slowly bleeds to death.

During its first season Rome was 10x the show GOT has ever been wrt stabbing, boobs, underhanded political machinations, and it was dark and grim as gently caress while still being occasionally hilarious just like life. CACK.

Carnivale was gorgeous but after the big jarring plot dump in the last 30 seconds of the final episode of the first season I never returned to it.

Boardwalk Empire poo poo the bed when Jimmy hosed his mom and died.

The best part of that whole scene was the decision to have Caesar not say anything to Brutus, and for the two actors to do it all with their faces.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aurain posted:

Due to a high concentration of Stannis.

e: Also, the best part of the show is the soundtrack by a distance.

I thought Theon was pretty endearing too.

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp
does anyone have the hilarious interview this is from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGWiJQIcXgA

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Rass P posted:

does anyone have the hilarious interview this is from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGWiJQIcXgA

Wasn't the link to the whole show posted here a couple of pages ago or something? I watched it a bit, until GRRM came on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Shaggy...dog

my god

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

jsoh posted:

I dunno Victarion, Jon, Dany and Tyrion all becoming oathbreakers is pretty not boring and things happeningy.

It's not just about whether things happen its about whether or not the things that happen make sense and whether or not they're just cheap contrivances to get to the next "OMGPLOTTWIZZZT!" moment.

Also Victarion is one of the worst characters I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Much like Darkstar, George is trying way too hard to with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

I don't think any of the things that happened were cheap contrivances, though. Like I guess Victarion shows up and can be whatever gurm wants because hes a clean slate but the things Jon and Dany and Tyrion do are pretty consistent with their characters, I think.