Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Oh my bad, I meant non-center defense because I'm only like 5'9 and won't play the position. I asked for help with blocks and against drives because I often find myself trying stop a guard from driving (which is more difficult for me because I'm not very heavy).

So, you should actually be called "The Smallest Jerk" right?

At your height, don't worry too much about blocking shots, keep good position and prevent the drive to begin with. The good thing is, if you want to go for the big swat, feel free to jump whenever you want - you'll whiff alot of times when the guy fakes, but that's no big deal because it's your big mans responsibility to properly defend a drive. The 1 in 10 times you time it right (largely coincidentally), you'll be able to get a sweet block. Again, swat it into the bleachers, tipping it to a teammate is lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Defense is very easy in that you don't have to explain it for hours to get someone to really understand it. Offense is a whole other thing that takes decades to master but with defense you just need a few things, watch your opponent to see his tendencies as you're playing, and you're basically there. The biggest thing with defense is to not try and block everything. Pickup players are awful at this, for whatever reason. They think they're getting on Sporscenter or something if they swat a shot. Stand your ground, hands up, and if your opponent is trying to take a stupid shot then just let him. It's not going in so don't foul him and give him free throws or the ball back. If your opponent chooses to lose, let him.

But at it's core, all you're doing is staying in between your guy and the basket. Even a complete beginner of basketball can be somewhat effective in a pickup game on defense as long as he just remembers that. If you're a beginner, don't go for blocks. You're going to look really stupid. I've been playing almost all of my life and I hardly ever go for blocks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like shot blocking is all instinct. You either have it, or you don't.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

RCarr posted:

I feel like shot blocking is all instinct. You either have it, or you don't.

That's pretty much it, yeah. Good, quick hops, height and long arms help, but ultimately it comes down to instinctually knowing when the shooter is about to shoot, or being able to surprise him from behind. For the vast majority of players, a good blocked shot is the most invigorating feeling in basketball, since hardly anyone who plays pickup can dunk.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The B_36 posted:

For the vast majority of players, a good blocked shot is the most invigorating feeling in basketball, since hardly anyone who plays pickup can dunk.

Absolutely. Nothing feels better than swatting someones shot 15 feet across the gym. I'd rather block a shot than make one any day.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
One thing that beginners usually do on defense is follow the ball around. Don't do this, most baskets in pickup are on cuts and stuff like that, and you help a lot by staying on your man even if you don't know what you're doing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

cisneros posted:

One thing that beginners usually do on defense is follow the ball around. Don't do this, most baskets in pickup are on cuts and stuff like that, and you help a lot by staying on your man even if you don't know what you're doing.
i guess this is slightly advanced at a "feel for the game level" but a nice tip is that if your guy isnt an absolutely lights out shooter you can sag down to help in the post, on screens, and on back door cuts.

to do this you need to space yourself between the ball, man, and the area where you're providing help so that the man you're leaving is never the furthest away (this makes it so you always have time to execute a good close out/contest).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Help defense? What the gently caress is that?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

rscott posted:

Help defense? What the gently caress is that?

That's where you get the best blocked shots, on weakside help :colbert:

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

cisneros posted:

Posting up in low level pickup with a good cutting guard is like an early 2000's Kings Simulation

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
Anyone in Northern VA that wants to play pick up? Also I can't find an indoor gym that's reasonably priced.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Go to any church with a gym and ask if there's a pickup night

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
To new dudes asking about defense, learn to give help D, check cutters, box out, and always fight through screens. Switching is for lazy buttheads.

What's everyone's opinion on calling out "shot" when your man pulls up? I had a dude get real mad at me for it once but he was tossing up bricks so I guess it was working?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the people who say short on every shot are the bane of my existence and should loving kill themselves imo

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

THE RED MENACE posted:

To new dudes asking about defense, learn to give help D, check cutters, box out, and always fight through screens. Switching is for lazy buttheads.

What's everyone's opinion on calling out "shot" when your man pulls up? I had a dude get real mad at me for it once but he was tossing up bricks so I guess it was working?

I hate when people do that and when they lunge at you with their head when you're going up for a shot. gently caress those guys.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

THE RED MENACE posted:

I was taught to do this as a little kid and it's too late to stop now. Never had anyone get mad about it. Why would they? It's like calling out a pick, gotta let your team know there's a rebound coming.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

I was taught to do this as a little kid and it's too late to stop now. Never had anyone get mad about it. Why would they? It's like calling out a pick, gotta let your team know there's a rebound coming.

I think he's taking issue with dudes yelling "short"/lunging/yelling at you to psyche you out as you release your shot, not calling it once it's on its course. Obviously its fine once its on its way and you can actually make a call on it for your teammates, but guys doing it when you release are just being obnoxious.

I wouldn't bitch about it in game or anything, but it does annoy me and I will be more likely to hit the guy with a particularly hard pick on defense/try to embarrass him the next trip down if I get the chance.

I just feel like you should guard your man straight up, even trash talk a little if you're into that, but yelling poo poo when a guy puts his shot up irks me as pretty weak

Edit: Oh, he said "shot." Well, point stands

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If you are lazy about fighting through screens like I am, just go under them. No one can shoot in pickup games, especially not from the range that a pick is set. I'm not taking any elbows in the ribs just to check the 5'5 never-dribbles-with-his-left-hand wonderboy

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

BIZORT posted:

If you are lazy about fighting through screens like I am, just go under them. No one can shoot in pickup games, especially not from the range that a pick is set. I'm not taking any elbows in the ribs just to check the 5'5 never-dribbles-with-his-left-hand wonderboy

This reminded me: I wish I could play with a team in pick up where a shot didn't go up within the first 8 seconds of a possession. Usually it's 3-4 passes at most and then a shot goes up.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Faltese Malkin posted:

This reminded me: I wish I could play with a team in pick up where a shot didn't go up within the first 8 seconds of a possession. Usually it's 3-4 passes at most and then a shot goes up.

Wow, that many passes? I want to play with you guys

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wish I could play with a team where there aren't at least two people ballwatching every time on defense

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Faltese Malkin posted:

You expect a lot out of a group of guys that probably just met one another

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

This thread is right about pick and rolls, man. I played a pickup game last weekend and just started setting screens because I'm huge, then cutting to the rim and they acted like we were wizards. And not the Washington Wizards. They had no idea what to do.

Likewise I'm terrible at shooting so I was just passing a shitload and setting screens and hanging out grabbing rebounds and nobody had any idea what to do. Crazy poo poo.

Lest you think I'm tooting my own horn, we had a chick that plays for one of the local colleges come in and play with us and we all learned what it was like to be a Washington General. She did us the courtesy of not whistling Sweet Georgia Brown but she would've had every right to.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 14, 2013

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I went to uni with a girl who played rep ball and represented Victoria in certain comps as an undersized PF/C (She was like 5'10"). She was incredibly violent under the rim, and knew how to move without the ball on offence better than anyone I've ever played with.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
We played at my buddy's today. About an hour in we realized "What the gently caress are we doing, this is an ELEVATOR GOAL" and needless to say, we had that thing at 9ft height pretty quick. The highlight ended up being me nearly dislocating my shoulder stuffing myself on the rim trying to tomahawk.

Now my knees hurt and I think I will stick with my desolate man's Nowitzki game as opposed to my brief foray into "Charge the rim like drunk Russell Westbrook" stint.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

I wish I could play with a team where there aren't at least two people ballwatching every time on defense

You should really ask for a trade from the Rockets

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Speaking of which, what do you guys do when you have to guard an actually athetic player? I mostly play halfcourt, and you can more or less pack the paint and they often settle for lovely turnarounds and stuff, but fullcourt it's just not possible, even if I somehow beat them to the spot they can just go up, and if by some miracle I time my jump well, they just wait in the air for me to come down and safely lay it in. I don't want to end up like those guys who just foul everytime, I politely get out of their way if they're going for a dunk, but I don't want to be a revolving door either. I guess double-teaming works ok, but then it feels doubly bad bad when they score, and it sucks when they guy is playing with other competent players and can pass the ball(which practically doesn't happen in pickup, fortunately).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

cisneros posted:

Speaking of which, what do you guys do when you have to guard an actually athetic player? I mostly play halfcourt, and you can more or less pack the paint and they often settle for lovely turnarounds and stuff, but fullcourt it's just not possible, even if I somehow beat them to the spot they can just go up, and if by some miracle I time my jump well, they just wait in the air for me to come down and safely lay it in. I don't want to end up like those guys who just foul everytime, I politely get out of their way if they're going for a dunk, but I don't want to be a revolving door either. I guess double-teaming works ok, but then it feels doubly bad bad when they score, and it sucks when they guy is playing with other competent players and can pass the ball(which practically doesn't happen in pickup, fortunately).

You give them an extra few feet of space which lets you react, unless they're a good jump shooter, in which case you're hosed anyways

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

In the pickup world, athletic guys can't shoot because they hardly ever work on it so you give them extra room to shoot and sort of dare them into it. Besides that, you guard them like anyone else. If you can't move laterally then you're kind of hosed. If you're a dick you can play really physically and hope they don't like that

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Ran some full court five on five today and kind of wanted to die. I didn't know full court was a thing, don't think I've played that ever. Fun as hell, though, even if I'm not conditioned for it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Ran some full court five on five today and kind of wanted to die. I didn't know full court was a thing, don't think I've played that ever. Fun as hell, though, even if I'm not conditioned for it.

It's a real running game when there's no fouls/stoppages to reset.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah it was pretty much "Who gets tired from doing wind sprints up and down the court first?"

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

It's pretty much universally understood that you can stop running for a few series and just catch your breath at one end of the court if you need to

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

THE RED MENACE posted:

I've played pickup for years and years at two different university gyms and at a local blacktop, as I pretty much live for pickup basketball. I call shot immediately when I see a shot going up, as it helps improve defensive rebounding. No one has ever complained once about it.

The 'calling short' thing is different, as that is most of the time a head-game. Unless you are in a very friendly, nobody is particularly good game, 'calling short' is fine (not that I do). Make the shot when the rear end in a top hat calls short, then continually yell "short!" from then on every time you shoot, hitting everything, and pretend everyone is clapping for you.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
Played some late night 3 on 3 myself last night, tried out my new low tops. And yes, I rolled one of my ankles.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I would never even consider playing basketball in anything but high tops.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

BIZORT posted:

It's pretty much universally understood that you can stop running for a few series and just catch your breath at one end of the court if you need to

I used to play soccer so I never found it that bad, it's not like you're sprinting the other way every single time.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

IanTheM posted:

I used to play soccer so I never found it that bad, it's not like you're sprinting the other way every single time.

It's not the running itself that's so bad. It's the sudden stopping and starting associated with basketball along with the running

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

BIZORT posted:

It's not the running itself that's so bad. It's the sudden stopping and starting associated with basketball along with the running

To be fair, when I played there was usually some guy or two guys just hogging the ball and chucking up threes, I'm sure if I had to actually play offence then I'd have been more tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

chunkles posted:

You should really ask for a trade from the Rockets

I did but they asked for three firsts for me which is crazy

• Locked thread