Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Merry Christmas!
And from your rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arkmedes
Jun 24, 2009
And from your rear end!

Great episode all around

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted some Lego transformers.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This should have aired last Christmas :colbert:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Oh my god Jack is Krampus now. It truly is an Merry American Dad Christmas.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
But what about Shelia?!

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Great Christmas episode. Are we getting a second one next week for this year?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay this is why it was delayed after Sandy Hook

I don't remember furniture and poo poo getting shot :raise:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
This is why a Disney universe would suck. Every loving thing is alive.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mister Kingdom posted:

This is why a Disney universe would suck. Every loving thing is alive.

Except the ceiling fan. Because no God is that cruel.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Oh Snapple! posted:

This should have aired last Christmas :colbert:

Seriously. There wasn't a goddamn thing objectionable to this episode in regards to Sandy Hook. I'm torn between its delay being the result of "Fox execs trying for 'omg banned episode' ratings bait" or "Reactionary bullshit for a relatively low-rated show that they knew would get headlines and make them seem sensitive."

(It was no "Rapture's Delight," because it's impossible to top that episode, but it was a pretty solid American Dad Christmas.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

JethroMcB posted:

Seriously. There wasn't a goddamn thing objectionable to this episode in regards to Sandy Hook. I'm torn between its delay being the result of "Fox execs trying for 'omg banned episode' ratings bait" or "Reactionary bullshit for a relatively low-rated show that they knew would get headlines and make them seem sensitive."

(It was no "Rapture's Delight," because it's impossible to top that episode, but it was a pretty solid American Dad Christmas.)

Reactionary bullshit.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Holy gently caress was that episode amazing. Well worth the one year wait. I really haven't been feeling this season, unfortunately, but the whole Krampus thing with that AD Christmas over-the-top violence made me love it all over again.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Danny Glover being the Krampus is still loving killing me.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I cant believe it but I agree with them pulling the episode. The bloody shooting of magically alive things, would get them in hot poo poo right after sandy hook.

Thought I would love to read how critics would try to summarize those scenes.

The haley sub plot never got resovled and neither did rogers bar bit.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Just incredible. Truly a heartwarming episode.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with school shootings. Boo the terrible, cowardly, loathsome media, yet again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Got to say my two favourite parts of this episode was the wall getting shot (because of course the wall is alive) and Roger scaling Santa's wall.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with school shootings. Boo the terrible, cowardly, loathsome media, yet again.

Dead honest, I think it was the episode's pretty honest evaluation of how loving awful and spoiled children are during Christmas that got it delayed, because we can't insinuate that children are anything other than little angels after Sandy Hook.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
More than likely just the fact that American Dad has gotten Fox fined in the past would be enough to get the episode pulled. The show is only on the air for diplomatic reasons, no point letting additional fines cut into what money Fox makes off the show to begin with.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I feel like Cleveland show probably would have run forever too, until one day a Fox executive saw the Mike Henry "more you know" type commercial and said "What the gently caress? This guy's white?" And everyone realized they were watching animated blackface.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

FACT: Krampus is an Austrian thing, not a German (Bavarian) thing.

FACT: Germany and Austria don't have a Santa. Instead the spirit of childrens' purity gives you presents... or something.

FACT: both actually not entirely true facts

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I was a little leery about the songs at first, but I really enjoyed it. The wall gag was hilarious for some reason, the homemade chocolate, and Roger's "harder... way harder." And of course the household supplies being gunned down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

More than likely just the fact that American Dad has gotten Fox fined in the past would be enough to get the episode pulled. The show is only on the air for diplomatic reasons, no point letting additional fines cut into what money Fox makes off the show to begin with.

What's the story behind this?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Mister E posted:

I feel like we should have a Steve music video more often. Like every episode.

Hell to the yes. Um.. was I the only one trying to sing along to his song this episode? Like this guy is seriously hot poo poo, I love him. And his hernia from being Steve so hard in the sound booth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Madkal posted:

What's the story behind this?

Fox was fined a paltry $25k over the horse episode. However, it wasn't because of content. It was because Fox (specifically, one affiliate) didn't respond in a manner that the FCC liked. Basically, FCC wanted Fox to respond to indecency probes across all their affiliates while Fox said "give us the specific complaints and those affiliates affected will respond." FCC only sent over one sample for one affiliate so Fox basically responded in kind so the FCC proposed the $25k fine. I don't even know if it was collected or not.

So, no, I don't think it was fear of fines. I think it was just because there was a mass shootout involving Santa in an episode whose whole point was that children aren't punished severely enough mere days after a gunman killed a ton of kids. Was it a bit reactionary? Perhaps. But at the end of the day, Fox didn't lose any revenue, they didn't get any negative press, and the episode still aired.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wait, so this WAS the episode from last year? Is this the last episode of the calendar year, or are they airing a new Christmas episode this weekend?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I swear AD has the best Christmas episodes of any show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wait, so this WAS the episode from last year? Is this the last episode of the calendar year, or are they airing a new Christmas episode this weekend?

Due to the holdover there was no new Christmas episode in this production cycle :( No new episode until January 5th.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It has as much to do in things got shot. But America has so many shootings that if you were to pull whenever any happened not alot would get aired.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The "Santa's Wall" bit with Roger and Stan, with the rapidly changing height of the wall, is my favorite American Dad gag in a long time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, a bunch of children-sized people getting their heads blown off. Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious why that episode got pulled for a year.

Edit: No wait, only one elf got scalded. I guess I don't get it then.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 17, 2013

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Just watched this on Hulu and for some reason I can't stop laughing about scaling santa's wall

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FG had fake Kevin McAllister from Home Alone getting shot in the forehead graphically, but this cartoon violence was too much for them I guess.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

FlamingLiberal posted:

FG had fake Kevin McAllister from Home Alone getting shot in the forehead graphically, but this cartoon violence was too much for them I guess.

Listen, Sandy...Book? Sandy Crook? That was a year ago. Nobody even remembers what the big deal was, just something about children and America. We had to stand strong then but who cares now, right? Shooting a child point-blank can finally be funny again!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's entirely possible they decided to pull it since the moral is essentially "beating your kids is good for them". It's American Dad so obviously it's not meant to be taken completely seriously but people are stupid and something that seems to condone violence against children might seem inappropriate after a school shooting.

So yeah, pretty much reactionary bullshit. I don't get what networks are so afraid of when it comes to "controversy". Oh no, angry letters! From people who probably don't even watch the show in the first place! Seriously, what kind of idiot is watching AD and is surprised that it's not wholesome family entertainment?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't get what networks are so afraid of when it comes to "controversy". Oh no, angry letters! From people who probably don't even watch the show in the first place! Seriously, what kind of idiot is watching AD and is surprised that it's not wholesome family entertainment?

Because those people are now contacting the FCC, not the network. Thanks to the regulatory backlash resulting from Janet Jackson's Godawful Tit, the FCC can level heavy fines for anything that's arbitrarily found to be "indecent." For every 10,000 angry evangelicals complaining about boner pill ads during NFL and NASCAR, one person will complain about Stan jacking off a horse and then, bam, suddenly they're paying through the nose or looking at broadcast license issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JethroMcB posted:

Because those people are now contacting the FCC, not the network. Thanks to the regulatory backlash resulting from Janet Jackson's Godawful Tit, the FCC can level heavy fines for anything that's arbitrarily found to be "indecent." For every 10,000 angry evangelicals complaining about boner pill ads during NFL and NASCAR, one person will complain about Stan jacking off a horse and then, bam, suddenly they're paying through the nose or looking at broadcast license issues.

That didn't happen though.

FCC really didn't take "Stan jacking off a horse" seriously. They just were annoyed with how Fox handled their requests and basically wanted to give them a slap on the wrist for what they thought were transparency issues.

Seriously, pulling that episode last year had nothing to do with the FCC. Fox simply thought airing an episode about brutally punishing kids a few days after an elementary school was gunned down was a bad move. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't really even all that reactionary. It was just bad timing, nothing more.

If anything, they were worried about the reaction from their advertisers during that half hour.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bull3964 posted:

Seriously, pulling that episode last year had nothing to do with the FCC. Fox simply thought airing an episode about brutally punishing kids a few days after an elementary school was gunned down was a bad move. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't really even all that reactionary. It was just bad timing, nothing more.

If anything, they were worried about the reaction from their advertisers during that half hour.

I know that the FCC had nothing to do with pulling this episode last year, I was speaking to his question about why broadcasters fear "controversy." People don't take their complaints to the network anymore, they're circumventing them and running straight to the regulatory body (I mean, the Parent's Television Council has a standardized form for submitting indecency complaints to the FCC.) And like you say, even if they don't take it seriously, if the FCC feels like the network isn't respecting them a penalty is likely to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Question: When Stan and Roger were going to the North Pole, was one of the swimmers on Roger's "boat" dead? I could have sworn one wasn't moving.

• Locked thread