Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think it's more likely that they trade down for a billion more picks than take Clowney when they already have Long and Quinn.

I feel like the Rams will keep doing this, and keep getting high draft picks that they will trade and their top picks will all disappoint I hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seiferguy posted:

I feel like the Rams will keep doing this, and keep getting high draft picks that they will trade and their top picks will all disappoint I hope

Through strategic maneuvering, the Rams acquire all of the first round picks for 2020.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't think he was being serious.

I'm honestly surprised that anyone took my post seriously and I thought Chirugeon was being facetious too.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
This is a deep tackle class again, right? Will Arizona get one around 20?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Wait is this another a Titans fan? Those exist? Ever since dfg disappeared I thought you'd all died out.

I've been here, I just don't post much.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Febreeze posted:

All of us? That seems a little unfair

All of you :romo:

Doltos posted:

I'm honestly surprised that anyone took my post seriously and I thought Chirugeon was being facetious too.

I was but then it turned into DECADEGATE 2013

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The NFL draft game is up and I'm trading all of Washington's future picks to the Rams so the Skins can get Clowney. Because why not.

http://first-pick.com/

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

seiferguy posted:

If the Texans passed on Clowney, I can't imagine that the Rams would, even if their strong defense and their needs at offense.

Dammit Washington why did you have to make that trade :(

Is Clowney so good that we'd take him with Quinn (15 sacks, 7 forced fumbles this year) and Long (only 6.5 this year but 11.5 and 13 the prior two years)? If so, drat.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Awww man its going to be a while until we can see :manning: vs. :romo:.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

swickles posted:

Awww man its going to be a while until we can see :manning: vs. :romo:.

I don't think Peyton will play for four more years so I doubt it'll happen again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Cruel and Unusual posted:

The NFL draft game is up and I'm trading all of Washington's future picks to the Rams so the Skins can get Clowney. Because why not.

http://first-pick.com/

Don't you mean to Houston? :v:

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I don't think Peyton will play for four more years so I doubt it'll happen again

There's a Superbowl every year

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I hate Allen Robinson but I don't know why. Only thing I can think of is that he is sort of a body catcher, but even then not all the time.

Does anyone have a good reason to explain my irrationality?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Penn State skill position players are historically awful in the NFL

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Not much but I'll take it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

SteelAngel2000 posted:

If Peyton wins the Super Bowl this year, he's going to immediately retire, assassinate that Papa John's dude with a 900mph football to the face, rename the franchise Papa Peyton's, and make a gagillion dollars.

Do they Texans have any glaring needs in the draft outside of coaching/QB? I've always assumed they were a team with a few great players and not many huge holes until they went and poo poo the bed this year, unlike the Cowboys who are Tony Romo + receivers and Murray and that's it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Democratic Pirate posted:

Do they Texans have any glaring needs in the draft outside of coaching/QB? I've always assumed they were a team with a few great players and not many huge holes until they went and poo poo the bed this year, unlike the Cowboys who are Tony Romo + receivers and Murray and that's it.

Right Tackle, Inside Linebacker, and maybe Free Safety, Left Guard, and Running Back.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Why does everyone always have to over inflate how lovely the cowboys are?

Just because Romo has to shoulder the burden doesn't mean the team is devoid of talent. They have a Hall of Fame pass rusher, a good MLB, a good Offensive line and one of the best receiving corps in the NFL. I know Romo has it rough but let's drop the hyperbole.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Just because Romo has to shoulder the burden doesn't mean the team is devoid of talent. They have a Hall of Fame pass rusher, a good MLB, a good Offensive line and one of the best receiving corps in the NFL. I know Romo has it rough but let's drop the hyperbole.

Their defensive unit as a whole is literally the worst of all time

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Led by Monte Kiffin.

Cowboys are a coaching staff and good draft class away. The problem being it's hard to get those things with Owner/GM Jerry Jones.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

Right Tackle, Inside Linebacker, and maybe Free Safety, Left Guard, and Running Back.

Ben Jones, David Quessenberry, Brennan Williams, hopefully they can get their offensive line woes under control with investing maybe a third or something and one or more of those three will work out. Of course, if we abandon the ZBS, who knows what will happen

I'd put a pass rusher over ILB. Reed needs to move inside regardless IMO, even if they don't go after Clowney

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Led by Monte Kiffin.

Cowboys are a coaching staff and good draft class away. The problem being it's hard to get those things with Owner/GM Jerry Jones.

Also, Romo's not getting any younger and they're perpetually in cap crunch. If Romo hits a decline phase earlier than Peyton and Brady, things could get very ugly for the Cowboys in the near future.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Puppy Bowl posted:

To me Romo's predicament is more about what a clowshoes organization he's in. If the Cowboys had a league average coaching staff they'd probably have 9-10 wins already, sure - but they never will have that because Jerry Jones.

Also, Ware hasn't been any good all year and might be done and Lee is good but constantly hurt so it doesn't matter.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Other than Dan Bailey their kicker, that's literally it. They have an inconsistent run game, meaning more pressure on Romo, and their defensive unit in general outside of DeMarcus Ware is little more than guys they picked up off the streets. The only reason they're treading water is because the Eagles are not a consistently good team yet either.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I was trying to think of a counter example but...wow

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/pennst/drafted.htm

Unless we count the 1 or 2 really good years Larry Johnson had the best counter I could find was Joe Jurevicious

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Uh...Kerry Collins? Or do QBs not count as position players?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Industrial posted:

I was trying to think of a counter example but...wow

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/pennst/drafted.htm

Unless we count the 1 or 2 really good years Larry Johnson had the best counter I could find was Joe Jurevicious

Counterpoint: Matt McGloin wasn't drafted

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Led by Monte Kiffin.

Yeah Cowboys aren't a bad team in the least bit. Cowboys fans are overreacting to their terrible coaching situation. It really is just inexcusable. Their defense isn't very good in the first place, but Kiffin's got all of them going for strips constantly instead of making form tackles. They get ran and YAC'd all over like it's nothing. Just bush league football on their defense.

Their offense is fine but I'm tired of Romo apologists. He had a bad finish last night and one wrong Beasley route leading to an INT got him off the hook again. His pass protection looked like a sieve too, and has all year. I'm not sure if it's his style of play or the o-line, but they're not doing each other any favors and one has to change. Run blocking is great though, Murray has awesome holes to work with.

So yeah, fire the coaches into the sun, they're somehow the most incompetent staff in the NFC East, think about what to do with Romo/O-line situation, reshore the defense.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mick foley forever posted:

Other than Dan Bailey their kicker, that's literally it. They have an inconsistent run game, meaning more pressure on Romo, and their defensive unit in general outside of DeMarcus Ware is little more than guys they picked up off the streets. The only reason they're treading water is because the Eagles are not a consistently good team yet either.

The offense is fine--even with Sunday's picks, Romo still has fewer than 10 on the season and the offensive line has improved significantly from last year.

The problem is that the defense is woefully under-talented: Lee, Carr, and Hatcher are good, but two out of those three have been hurt for a considerable amount of time. Ware is no longer the player he used to be--he struggles to get off blocks and he's not being double-teamed, and along with Church and Selvie are serviceable. After that you've got a long list of JAGs such as Wilcox, Holloman, Wilber, and Moore, and guys who wouldn't start on any team like Heath, Durant, Hayden, Vega, Allen, and Sims. Most teams can look at these guys as depth or fill-ins but when they're your starters not only is your defense bad but injuries just leave it woefully inept.

Doltos posted:

Yeah Cowboys aren't a bad team in the least bit. Cowboys fans are overreacting to their terrible coaching situation. It really is just inexcusable. Their defense isn't very good in the first place, but Kiffin's got all of them going for strips constantly instead of making form tackles. They get ran and YAC'd all over like it's nothing. Just bush league football on their defense.

It's not an overreaction--the defense is a massive problem, since it means the offense must continually play perfect ball in order to win games. There's no lead the offense can generate that will allow them to make a mistake and there have been two games this season where the Cowboys haven't forced a single punt on defense. Romo hasn't made a ton of mistakes this year, but every single one costs the Cowboys a game because the defense can't give the team any breathing room.

Beasley didn't "get Romo off the hook", he ran the wrong route and as a result Romo takes the blame for the loss. If he had run the correct route, it wouldn't have been an INT, which would have *actually* gotten Romo off the hook, especially if the team had scored.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Are you saying a team with Joe Jurevicius, Bryant Johnson and Bobby Engram out wide and a backfield of Curtis Enis and Ki-Jana Carter would be awful?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not an overreaction--the defense is a massive problem, since it means the offense must continually play perfect ball in order to win games. There's no lead the offense can generate that will allow them to make a mistake and there have been two games this season where the Cowboys haven't forced a single punt on defense. Romo hasn't made a ton of mistakes this year, but every single one costs the Cowboys a game because the defense can't give the team any breathing room.

Beasley didn't "get Romo off the hook", he ran the wrong route and as a result Romo takes the blame for the loss. If he had run the correct route, it wouldn't have been an INT, which would have *actually* gotten Romo off the hook, especially if the team had scored.

Earlier in the year, when all the Giants fans were complaining about Coughlin and Fewell and Gilbride, I saw many, many Cowboys fans telling us to keep quiet and that it wasn't the coaches. If we were overreacting then, you're overreacting now.

And of course with Romo, I'm saying on these boards the Romo apologists sprouted up everywhere the second Beasley ran a wrong route. It happens every game with Romo.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bortles owns but I was thinking late 1st ceiling, likely 2nd or 3rd round if he came out. Could have the highest drafted UCF player since Daunte.

quote:

UCF junior quarterback Blake Bortles reportedly is the No. 1 quarterback on the board for a team likely to draft in the top 10, Sports Illustrated NFL writer Peter King said Sunday night.

Bortles (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) has said he will make an NFL decision after the Knights' appearance in the Jan. 1 Fiesta Bowl against Baylor.

"The fastest-rising quarterback in the first round, should he choose to come out, is fourth-year junior Blake Bortles," the Orlando Sentinel reported King as saying Sunday night during NBC's "Football Night in America" broadcast. "I've spoken to a team that's likely to have a top-10 pick, and they like him better than any quarterback in this draft."

And in his weekly "MMQB" column, King wrote, "I know one team that, as of now, thinks it's no sure thing [Louisville's] Teddy Bridgewater will be the top quarterback on its board. ... Moreover, this team believes Blake Bortles or [Texas A&M's] Johnny Manziel could be the top quarterback on the board."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

Earlier in the year, when all the Giants fans were complaining about Coughlin and Fewell and Gilbride, I saw many, many Cowboys fans telling us to keep quiet and that it wasn't the coaches. If we were overreacting then, you're overreacting now.

That's because you have Tom Coughlin, head coach of your team through two loving Super Bowls and not Jason Garrett, who has kicks field goals down by 4 in the final seconds of the game. Many fans were calling for Garrett to be fired before the season started.

quote:

And of course with Romo, I'm saying on these boards the Romo apologists sprouted up everywhere the second Beasley ran a wrong route. It happens every game with Romo.

That's because Beasley actually ran the wrong route, which caused the INT. As it turns out, the Cowboys receviers are poorly-coached and so make a lot of route mistakes that lead to INTs. The same thing has happened to Eli multiple times this year. Not every INT is the fault of the QB. You understand this, you just hate Romo for obvious reasons.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ozu posted:

Bortles owns but I was thinking late 1st ceiling, likely 2nd or 3rd round if he came out. Could have the highest drafted UCF player since Daunte.

I like Bortles a lot. He has a good team around him and he played up to some tough competition. Would be undefeated if UCF didn't spin their wheels for the first half against USC. Fiesta Bowl should be fun to watch this year between him and Petty. Might determine how we look at Petty going into next year too.

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's because you have Tom Coughlin, head coach of your team through two loving Super Bowls and not Jason Garrett, who has kicks field goals down by 4 in the final seconds of the game. Many fans were calling for Garrett to be fired before the season started.

That's because Beasley actually ran the wrong route, which caused the INT. As it turns out, the Cowboys receviers are poorly-coached and so make a lot of route mistakes that lead to INTs. The same thing has happened to Eli multiple times this year. Not every INT is the fault of the QB. You understand this, you just hate Romo for obvious reasons.

Ah so when my team underperforms, it can't be the coaches, but when your team doesn't perform, okay. For what it's worth I did say that the Cowboys coaching staff is somehow the least competent in the NFC East. I also put plenty of losses on Eli's shoulders, but it's a fashion trend on TFF to vehemently point out that Romo wasn't at fault for any loss the Cowboys occur because he's a darling here. I don't blame people, he's fun to watch and a good QB, but he's not as good as people consistently paint him on these forums. He took some bad sacks last game and made a bunch of lovely throws. Not sure how much of that's on him or how much of that's on the pass protection, but either way, he's definitely got his hand in the cookie jar of responsibility for losses.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, Daltos; Beasley ran the wrong route and Romo got picked as a result.

Intruder posted:

Ben Jones, David Quessenberry, Brennan Williams, hopefully they can get their offensive line woes under control with investing maybe a third or something and one or more of those three will work out. Of course, if we abandon the ZBS, who knows what will happen

Meh, the way I see it we have Q finish what he started at LG (which is why I said maybe) while Ben Jones becomes the Center of the future after Myers retires or has to be cut. I'd love for Brennan to come in and lock down the RT spot but his injury concerns me. I just wouldn't mind some depth at the position, whether it's a higher pick or not.

quote:

I'd put a pass rusher over ILB. Reed needs to move inside regardless IMO, even if they don't go after Clowney

Fair enough, but even with that grouping I was still thinking we grab Clowney first.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blake Bortles won't succeed in the NFL because he has a scrub name.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Cowboys don't have the best receiving group in the NFL. They have a fantastic receiver and a bunch of mediocre receivers, and an inconsistent rookie with potential. They have Bryant, they have Witten, and maybe eventually Terrence Williams will become something good.

The Bears, meanwhile, have two receivers with 1100+ yards and 17 touchdowns between them. And Martellus Bennett is pretty good too. Then in Denver you have Decker, Welker, AND Demariyus Thomas, AND Julius Thomas. And Decker/D.Thomas had great talent before Manning even arrived. But obviously now their production is at another level since they're no longer catching "passes" from Tim Tebow. Decker/D.Thomas also have 1100+ yards each, and 19 TDs between them.

Next year... I'll be interested to see how Hopkins grows. He won't be Jeffery but if he takes that next step, it's him opposite Andre Johnson, and that's pretty scary too. It just hasn't mattered this season because the team has been coached into a ditch.

That does lead to a good segue though which is... wide receiver in the draft/FA. The only two notable free agents at wide receiver this year are both big question marks in Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin (who I suspect is going to be snatched by KC). Last year's draft had a WR class that was deep but did not feature any superstar talents. How does this year's class compare? I know Marquise Lee had the tough injury at USC. Sammy Watkins disappeared off my radar because of Clemson vanishing from the national spotlight. And Mike Evans caught so many jump balls with little separation that it's hard to evaluate him, but there's no way he runs a great 40 does he? I just don't see the straight line speed for a WR that A&M constantly chucks it 25-30 yards down the field to.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

Ah so when my team underperforms, it can't be the coaches, but when your team doesn't perform, okay. For what it's worth I did say that the Cowboys coaching staff is somehow the least competent in the NFC East. I also put plenty of losses on Eli's shoulders, but it's a fashion trend on TFF to vehemently point out that Romo wasn't at fault for any loss the Cowboys occur because he's a darling here. I don't blame people, he's fun to watch and a good QB, but he's not as good as people consistently paint him on these forums. He took some bad sacks last game and made a bunch of lovely throws. Not sure how much of that's on him or how much of that's on the pass protection, but either way, he's definitely got his hand in the cookie jar of responsibility for losses.

Lost in the pissing contest is that Coughlin is a good coach and Garrett is not so man I don't even know

It seems perfectly reasonable to say that Garrett sucks as a coach and much less reasonable to put the blame on Coughlin. What any of this has to do with the draft, I'm not really sure

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

Ah so when my team underperforms, it can't be the coaches, but when your team doesn't perform, okay.

No you got me--the Cowboys coaches are clearly every bit as good as the Giants coaches. It's not that the Giants have a terrible patchwork offensive line or terrible special teams, or that they had to play through a banged-up secondary and dire running back situation. Is there some way we can orchestrate a coach trade?

Romo deserves plenty of blame for his mistakes. Just not the "mistake" of say, throwing to a receiver who froze mid-route. And he certainly doesn't deserve the bulk of the blame for "only" leading the offense downfield to score 36 points. Or hitting Witten in the hands. Any moreso than Eli deserves credit for an INT that's tipped off his receiver's hands. The difference is that if Romo makes a single mistake, the Cowboys are hosed. If Eli makes 3 or 4, the Giants can still be in it. Maybe--just maybe--Eli gets help from a better defense and coaching staff.

Look at it this way: The Cowboys are 4th in the league in scoring with 393 points, but have a point differential of +8 and are 7-7. The other top 5 teams in scoring this season are 12-2, 11-3, 11-3, and 8-6 (Seahawks, Broncos, Chiefs, and Bears). If your first thought when you look at those stats is "man Romo really poo poo the bed 7 times this year" you clearly don't understand the whole "team sport" aspect of football.

Intruder posted:

Lost in the pissing contest is that Coughlin is a good coach and Garrett is not so man I don't even know

It seems perfectly reasonable to say that Garrett sucks as a coach and much less reasonable to put the blame on Coughlin. What any of this has to do with the draft, I'm not really sure

This is fair. We're getting way off topic.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Coughlin is leagues better than Garrett but Gilbride and Tom Quinn still suck

I'm actually fond of Perry Fewell and think he's doing the best he can given the circumstances our defense gets put in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Led by Monte Kiffin.

The Cowboys' most pressing issue is the salary cap: something like 30m over next year already. They are due for a Raiders like 60m dead money season soon.

• Locked thread