Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Karador Goodstuff EDH

Been running this list for a while, however I wanted to freshen it up a bit by adding/changing some things. Only thing I can think of for now is Angel --> Ashen Rider, but not sure where to go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I could see:
- angel of serenity for saccing it with the exile trigger on the stack
- in case you're interested in a value play you could do disciple of bolas
- if you wanted an infinite kill combo, you could do triskelion to go with mikaeus

Pseudodude
Aug 26, 2012
Grisly Salvage and Knight of the Reliquary could do good things for you, replacing Beast Within and maybe Mindslicer or Yosei. If you add KotR, you'd probably want at least Sejiri Steppe and Gavony Township, and you'd probably get Mosswort Bridge active often enough to justify it.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

C-Euro posted:

There's an argument with my list for going down to 3 Purphoros and up to 24 land but if I'm not playing Purphoros on turn four or five I'm probably not winning. Plus you can always use the extra copies as Trading Post fodder or when one gets D-Sphere'd (this happened to me twice in one of my games)

I was thinking about maxing Purp for the same reason. D Sphere's run rampant in my meta.

Deck: MURDERHORSES

Pithing needle is main boarded at 3 because of how many control decks my meta has but I'm not sure if I should side board them and make room for something else.

Stupid me I traded my 3 Pack Rats away last night :doh:, also I need another Rakdos Return.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mindisgone posted:

I was thinking about maxing Purp for the same reason. D Sphere's run rampant in my meta.

Deck: MURDERHORSES

I like the mixture of removal in the deck; after thinking about it last night, I felt like the deck needs to use more sorcery-based removal so you aren't tempted to use it over leaving mana open for Gnawing Zombie (in versions that run him) or Tymaret to use a sacrifice ability, with Doom Blade being the exception.

quote:

Pithing needle is main boarded at 3 because of how many control decks my meta has but I'm not sure if I should side board them and make room for something else.

You could replace them with copies of Akroan Horse: they produce tokens and would make the deck's name correct. :v:

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

bhsman posted:

You could replace them with copies of Akroan Horse: they produce tokens and would make the deck's name correct. :v:

Funny you should say that because that is exactly what I have in there :hfive:, 1 Needle, 2 :horse:.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Here's my (control version) Murderfarm deck.

Deck: Murderfarm Prophecies

//Land
4 Blood Crypt
2 Rakdos Guildgate
9 Mountain
8 Swamp

//Engine
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Trading Post
2 Dark Prophecy

//Removal
3 Dreadbore
2 Doom Blade
1 Ultimate Price
2 Magma Jet
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Act of Treason

//Super Secret Tech
2 Gift of Orzhova
1 Master of Cruelties
3 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Rakdos's Return

//Sideboard
3 Dark Betrayal
2 Shock
1 Electrickery
1 Lightning Strike
2 Rakdos Charm
1 Gift of Orzhova
3 Slaughter Games
2 Pithing Needle

Display deck statistics

Been playing with Master of Cruelties as an additional finisher, and I've got to say I really like him. One game I gave him flying and swung right over Elspeth's smug face, then shocked for lethal. Maindeck Ratchet Bomb for difficult-to-deal-with threats (Assemble the Legion, hexproof, Master of Waves, Detention Sphere, Fiendslayer Paladin, Underworld Connections) and it's essentially never a dead card (and set to an odd number is totally one-sided). I know my build is pretty different from most of the ones on here but I think my choices are reasonable.

e: it also has the benefit of destroying Dark Prophecy if it's become a liability. Still thinking about a green splash, but this time thinking about Commune with the Gods for dig and potentially throwing Tymaret in the yard as well. Springleaf Drum, on-colour scrylands and potentially other unspoiled stuff mean I'm excited to see what can be done.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 16, 2013

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Mike Cartwright posted:

Karador Goodstuff EDH

Been running this list for a while, however I wanted to freshen it up a bit by adding/changing some things. Only thing I can think of for now is Angel --> Ashen Rider, but not sure where to go from there.

Since you're running Reveillark/Karmic Guide you could always be That Guy and throw in Bitter Ordeal, and maybe Saffi Eriksdotter.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Somebody was asking about the G/B aggro build I have been using lately. I got 4th in a GPT with it last night, so here's the list!

Golgari Aggro:

Lands:

3x Golgari Guildgate
4x Overgrown Tomb
7x Forest
8x Swamp

// 22 total

Creatures:

4x Elvish Mystic

4x Lotleth Troll
3x Scavenging Ooze

4x Dreg Mangler
4x Boon Satyr
2x Varolz, the Scar-Striped

4x Reaper of the Wilds
2x Polukranos, World Eater

// 27 total

Spells:

4x Hero's Downfall
4x Abrupt Decay
2x Putrefy
1x Thoughtseize

// 11 total

Sideboard:

2x Thoughtseize
1x Doom Blade
1x Ultimate Price
3x Golgari Charm
3x Gift of Orzhova
4x Mistcutter Hydra
1x Vraska the Unseen

// 15 total

Why am I not playing desecration demons? I am not sure if they fit in this deck. Currently I like Polukranos more because he is huge against weenie swarm decks, and reaper of the wild is such a house, and a slightly better late game topdeck.

The deck is super fun to play, and I find it to be generally well-positioned against most other popular decks. I'm considering freeing up two sideboard slots for fade into antiquity so that I have something I can side in against Gods.

matchups against other decks:

Mono-B: You're pretty good against mono-B. they don't have a lot of removal that works against your deck (Doom blade and ultimate price are terrible against you) just keep them off devotion and you'll be able to win before they can get out of hand. Remember to sideboard in golgari charms because those can kill the whip (So can putrefy).

Mono-U: I have never had trouble against mono-U with this deck. Your creatures are better, and you have kill-spells for master of waves and Nightveil. Sideboard in your Mistcutters and go to town.

Mono-R: This can be tricky, but it pays to be cautious with your lotleth trolls (always keep regen mana up) Also save your abrupt decays for reckoners. Scavenging Oozes are great for topping up your life, and keeping those pesky chandras phoenixes from coming back. Sideboard in Gift of Orzhova and go hog wild.

Esper or America control: This is a good matchup for you. When playing game one, keep mana up for lotleth regen, and keep an extra mana dork or something to sacrifice so you can regen varolz. Use your abrupt decays on Detention spheres. Sideboard in Golgari Charms, Mistcutters, Vraska, and thoughtseizes. Sideboard out big creatures, and probably putrefy.

Azorius control: Remember to play around celestial flare after sideboard. Also they play way more counterspells than esper, so mistcutter the poo poo out of everything.

Rakdos Aggro: You play the control deck in this matchup. Eventually the fact that your creatures are much higher quality will win you the game. Watch out for the early blitz though.

Selesnyaggro: They have a slight advantage in creature quality, but we have a vast advantage in removal. I would side in doom blade, gift of orzhova, and probably more thoughtseize (to help you play around rootborn defenses or ready//willing, etc)

Boros (Burn or control): play around constant burn, use scooze to exile phoenixes, love gift of orzhova after sideboard.

Orzhov midrange: Pretty good matchup for me. Trolls and manglers can block precinct captains all day, Elvish mystics can trade with soldier of the pantheon in a pinch, ghost dad dies to removal. The only sticking point is Blood Baron. Polukranos can eat him, but that requires you to have a polukranos out. My favorite method of dealing with blood baron is to treat boon satyrs as GG1: Instant: destroy target blood baron, opponent gains 4 life. Or thoughtseize those blood barons.

R/G Dinosaurs: Haven't played against it yet, but we have the kill spells.

White Weenie (With or without black): The only things you have to worry about in this matchup are Soldier of the pantheon (who can be killed by Elvish mystics or Golgari charms in a pinch) and Heliod (just keep them off of devotion) Fiendslayer paladin dodges most of your removal, but dies to almost all of your creatures.

Any other major deck archetypes that I'm missing in this write up? If you have any questions about the deck, or lines of play, or anything like that, feel free to ask! :)

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
I'm still new to magic, but I love the idea of MURDERGOATS. I've tried to come up with a Red/Blue version that relies less on the saccing and more on trying to get Purphoros up and running.

Izzet MURDERFARM

I'm still a few cards short so I haven't been able to test this out fully. There aren't as many wacky interactions with no trading post, but I think that the Phoenix, Pyromaster, Barrage combo helps make up for that. Between them, Young Pyro and Purph, there should be enough devotion to get the big guy up and running.

The Rapid Hybridization is a lot of fun in the limited testing that I've done with my brother. Turning a token into a 3/3 and zapping your opponent for 2 (or more!) gives a very satisfying feeling. Especially if he/she thought you were just going to chump block them. The Curse is actually harder to pull off, but as least I can hit my opponents guys and mine.

I don't know if I should go more control and switch out some of the burn for counter spells. It wouldn't play as nicely with the Phoenix's and I like to burn things more than counter them.

I haven't thought through the manabase or the sideboard yet. Any critiques for a new player on how to deck-build are appreciated!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure how much I like Chandra's Phoenix here, the recursion is nice but I wonder if it wouldn't be faster to run something like Molten Birth in its place- the same casting cost gets you two creatures, and another if Young Pyromancer is out, and you have a 50/50 chance of immediately getting the card back rather than needing to spend a card to do so. Plus the strategy really doesn't need a creature-mode Purphoros in order to win so you don't need permanents for that, and cutting the Phoenix means you can cut a little burn to make room for counterspells like you were hoping to do.

I really like the interactions with your blue token-making cards though, you not only get to upgrade your 1/1s with either card but you get more ETB triggers as well.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 15, 2013

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Mezzanon posted:

Somebody was asking about the G/B aggro build I have been using lately. I got 4th in a GPT with it last night, so here's the list!

Golgari Aggro:

Lands:

3x Golgari Guildgate
4x Overgrown Tomb
7x Forest
8x Swamp

// 22 total

Creatures:

4x Elvish Mystic

4x Lotleth Troll
3x Scavenging Ooze

4x Dreg Mangler
4x Boon Satyr
2x Varolz, the Scar-Striped

4x Reaper of the Wilds
2x Polukranos, World Eater

// 27 total

Spells:

4x Hero's Downfall
4x Abrupt Decay
2x Putrefy
1x Thoughtseize

// 11 total

Sideboard:

2x Thoughtseize
1x Doom Blade
1x Ultimate Price
3x Golgari Charm
3x Gift of Orzhova
4x Mistcutter Hydra
1x Vraska the Unseen

// 15 total

Why am I not playing desecration demons? I am not sure if they fit in this deck. Currently I like Polukranos more because he is huge against weenie swarm decks, and reaper of the wild is such a house, and a slightly better late game topdeck.

The deck is super fun to play, and I find it to be generally well-positioned against most other popular decks. I'm considering freeing up two sideboard slots for fade into antiquity so that I have something I can side in against Gods.

matchups against other decks:

Mono-B: You're pretty good against mono-B. they don't have a lot of removal that works against your deck (Doom blade and ultimate price are terrible against you) just keep them off devotion and you'll be able to win before they can get out of hand. Remember to sideboard in golgari charms because those can kill the whip (So can putrefy).

Mono-U: I have never had trouble against mono-U with this deck. Your creatures are better, and you have kill-spells for master of waves and Nightveil. Sideboard in your Mistcutters and go to town.

Mono-R: This can be tricky, but it pays to be cautious with your lotleth trolls (always keep regen mana up) Also save your abrupt decays for reckoners. Scavenging Oozes are great for topping up your life, and keeping those pesky chandras phoenixes from coming back. Sideboard in Gift of Orzhova and go hog wild.

Esper or America control: This is a good matchup for you. When playing game one, keep mana up for lotleth regen, and keep an extra mana dork or something to sacrifice so you can regen varolz. Use your abrupt decays on Detention spheres. Sideboard in Golgari Charms, Mistcutters, Vraska, and thoughtseizes. Sideboard out big creatures, and probably putrefy.

Azorius control: Remember to play around celestial flare after sideboard. Also they play way more counterspells than esper, so mistcutter the poo poo out of everything.

Rakdos Aggro: You play the control deck in this matchup. Eventually the fact that your creatures are much higher quality will win you the game. Watch out for the early blitz though.

Selesnyaggro: They have a slight advantage in creature quality, but we have a vast advantage in removal. I would side in doom blade, gift of orzhova, and probably more thoughtseize (to help you play around rootborn defenses or ready//willing, etc)

Boros (Burn or control): play around constant burn, use scooze to exile phoenixes, love gift of orzhova after sideboard.

Orzhov midrange: Pretty good matchup for me. Trolls and manglers can block precinct captains all day, Elvish mystics can trade with soldier of the pantheon in a pinch, ghost dad dies to removal. The only sticking point is Blood Baron. Polukranos can eat him, but that requires you to have a polukranos out. My favorite method of dealing with blood baron is to treat boon satyrs as GG1: Instant: destroy target blood baron, opponent gains 4 life. Or thoughtseize those blood barons.

R/G Dinosaurs: Haven't played against it yet, but we have the kill spells.

White Weenie (With or without black): The only things you have to worry about in this matchup are Soldier of the pantheon (who can be killed by Elvish mystics or Golgari charms in a pinch) and Heliod (just keep them off of devotion) Fiendslayer paladin dodges most of your removal, but dies to almost all of your creatures.

Any other major deck archetypes that I'm missing in this write up? If you have any questions about the deck, or lines of play, or anything like that, feel free to ask! :)

Thanks, I like this deck a lot. I've been tinkering with something along similar lines, although running Deathrites instead of Oozes, mostly because I already have the Deathrites. I was also thinking of running a couple Desecration Demons.

Augmentropy
May 26, 2013
I'm still pretty new to Magic (I haven't quite gotten to the point of trying to build a Standard deck) but I'd like to make a casual deck with a bit more complexity than the tribal elf deck I posted earlier ITT. Here's a Dimir mill deck I'm working on:

Deck: Dimir Mill 0.1 [12.15.13]

//Main
4 Dimir Guildgate
10 Swamp
10 Island

4 Jace's Phantasm
4 Thought Scour
4 Wight of Precinct Six
3 Doom Blade
3 Mind Sculpt
3 Mind Grind
3 Paranoid Delusions
4 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Mind Funeral
3 Consuming Aberration
2 Jace, Memory Adept

Display deck statistics

Pretty straightforward in concept: mill out a bunch of cards and play Vampire Nighthawk (ideally ciphering Paranoid Delusions) with pumped-up Wights and Aberrations. This deck is based primarily on a list posted on AbsoluteMTG a few months ago with a few editions from me (basically I wanted to play Jace really badly). I don't care too much about how competitive the deck is, it's mostly just for multiplayer Legacy games with friends.

It's still in the "oh hey, these cards look fun to play but I have no idea whether this'd actually work" phase so I'd appreciate some critique w/r/t curve and card choices. If you click on the link above don't actually take the sideboard into account; it's less an actual sideboard and more a place for me to remember interesting cards.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

J Miracle posted:

Thanks, I like this deck a lot. I've been tinkering with something along similar lines, although running Deathrites instead of Oozes, mostly because I already have the Deathrites. I was also thinking of running a couple Desecration Demons.

Deathrites are a super interesting inclusion, definitely let me know how they work out for you. I also have a playset of deathrites, but I have them in the Conley Woods golgari combo deck (although popular consensus in my play group is to cut the 4 drown in filth for 4 abrupt decays because drown in filth whiffs way too often)

I really want to put desecration demons in this deck, but it's so difficult finding something to cut to make room for them. The Polukranos are pretty drat good, and the reaper of the wilds is just insane in this deck against every archetype.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Augmentropy posted:

I'm still pretty new to Magic (I haven't quite gotten to the point of trying to build a Standard deck) but I'd like to make a casual deck with a bit more complexity than the tribal elf deck I posted earlier ITT. Here's a Dimir mill deck I'm working on:

Deck: Dimir Mill 0.1 [12.15.13]

You definitely want the Nephalia Drownyards. Might want to look into Mirko Vosk as a four-drop, you don't have anything at that spot. Haunting Echoes could do some fun things, Visions of Beyond is a solid draw spell in this situation, and Memory Sluice is kind of neat.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Augmentropy posted:

Have a similar deck that I'm playing around with and it's a lot of fun. Seconding the Mirko Vosk, but also take a look at Duskmantle Guildmage.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Mezzanon posted:

Deathrites are a super interesting inclusion, definitely let me know how they work out for you. I also have a playset of deathrites, but I have them in the Conley Woods golgari combo deck (although popular consensus in my play group is to cut the 4 drown in filth for 4 abrupt decays because drown in filth whiffs way too often)

I really want to put desecration demons in this deck, but it's so difficult finding something to cut to make room for them. The Polukranos are pretty drat good, and the reaper of the wilds is just insane in this deck against every archetype.

I will! I think I'll sleeve up a version of this this Friday and see how it goes.

Augmentropy
May 26, 2013

tzirean posted:

You definitely want the Nephalia Drownyards. Might want to look into Mirko Vosk as a four-drop, you don't have anything at that spot. Haunting Echoes could do some fun things, Visions of Beyond is a solid draw spell in this situation, and Memory Sluice is kind of neat.

:confused: Vosk is a five-drop, though?

You've brought up a few salient points about the deck, though:
  • I don't have any 4-drops and I've been aware of this, but I don't actually know of too many U/B 4-drops that would fit there. Lazav, maybe?
  • I feel like I'm skewing my curve by running so many 5-drops and Mind Grinds (especially in the absence of 4-drops) but I really want to run both Jace and Aberration. I'm thinking I may have to cut the former without more chump blockers to protect him, though. Thoughts?
  • I'd like to run Drownyards but am unsure of how many, or what to cut to get them. The Doom Blades seem like a likely candidate as they don't really fit the mill theme but they're the only removal cards I've got for now. Given that this deck will mostly be for casual multiplayer, could I get away with switching them out?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Augmentropy posted:

That's true, sorry. He's even worse than I thought.

Augmentropy posted:

I'd like to run Drownyards but am unsure of how many, or what to cut to get them. The Doom Blades seem like a likely candidate as they don't really fit the mill theme but they're the only removal cards I've got for now. Given that this deck will mostly be for casual multiplayer, could I get away with switching them out?

Cut a Swamp and an Island for two, cut probably a Paranoid Delusions for a third.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Augmentropy posted:

You've brought up a few salient points about the deck, though:
  • I don't have any 4-drops and I've been aware of this, but I don't actually know of too many U/B 4-drops that would fit there. Lazav, maybe?
  • I feel like I'm skewing my curve by running so many 5-drops and Mind Grinds (especially in the absence of 4-drops) but I really want to run both Jace and Aberration. I'm thinking I may have to cut the former without more chump blockers to protect him, though. Thoughts?
  • I'd like to run Drownyards but am unsure of how many, or what to cut to get them. The Doom Blades seem like a likely candidate as they don't really fit the mill theme but they're the only removal cards I've got for now. Given that this deck will mostly be for casual multiplayer, could I get away with switching them out?

I had a casual Dimir mill deck for a while. It was basically Breaking, Glimpse the Unthinkable, and Jace protected by Aetherize, Fog Banks, and Hedron Crabs. I actually converted it to Esper about a year ago and it took 2nd or 3rd with my friend running it at a Modern tournament when he lost 1-2 to me in round 3. I'm in the process of rebuilding it right now to fit in Archive Traps, Snapcasters, and Visions of Beyond.

Obviously with multiplayer you want mass mill, not targeted. Jace, Mind Grind, and Consuming Aberration are the way to go. Oona is slow but she's my favorite way to mill. Instant speed, RFG, and you get chump blockers. Surgical Extraction and/or Extirpate are also always good. I love playing Tron: mill an Urza's land, Extract the land, GG.

Splashing white for Supreme Verdict, Path to Exile, etc. will help a lot too.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I had a casual Dimir mill deck for a while. It was basically Breaking, Glimpse the Unthinkable, and Jace protected by Aetherize, Fog Banks, and Hedron Crabs. I actually converted it to Esper about a year ago and it took 2nd or 3rd with my friend running it at a Modern tournament when he lost 1-2 to me in round 3. I'm in the process of rebuilding it right now to fit in Archive Traps, Snapcasters, and Visions of Beyond.

Obviously with multiplayer you want mass mill, not targeted. Jace, Mind Grind, and Consuming Aberration are the way to go. Oona is slow but she's my favorite way to mill. Instant speed, RFG, and you get chump blockers. Surgical Extraction and/or Extirpate are also always good. I love playing Tron: mill an Urza's land, Extract the land, GG.

Splashing white for Supreme Verdict, Path to Exile, etc. will help a lot too.

I've been playing Esper Mill in Modern for a while. The random card that helps you survive some unwinnable situations is Crypt Incursion. Path has helped a lot too, especially with Trap.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

I've been playing Esper Mill in Modern for a while. The random card that helps you survive some unwinnable situations is Crypt Incursion. Path has helped a lot too, especially with Trap.

Yeah, that's definitely something else I like for it. Do you have a deck list? I'm curious to see what, if anything, I'm missing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've tweaked the SB but this is what I started with

4 Marsh Flats
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Godless Shrine
1 Watery Grave
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Ghost Quarter
3 Shelldock Isle

Creatures (4)
4 Hedron Crab

Spells (34)
4 Visions of Beyond
3 Path to Exile
3 Surgical Extraction
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Thoughtscour
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Breaking // Entering
2 Mind Funeral
4 Archive Trap
3 Mesmeric Orb

Sideboard (15)
3 Rest in Peace
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Echoing Truth
2 Stony Silence
2 Disenchant
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Crypt Incursion

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

I've tweaked the SB but this is what I started with

4 Marsh Flats
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Godless Shrine
1 Watery Grave
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Ghost Quarter
3 Shelldock Isle

Creatures (4)
4 Hedron Crab

Spells (34)
4 Visions of Beyond
3 Path to Exile
3 Surgical Extraction
3 Crypt Incursion
4 Thoughtscour
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Breaking // Entering
2 Mind Funeral
4 Archive Trap
3 Mesmeric Orb

Sideboard (15)
3 Rest in Peace
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Echoing Truth
2 Stony Silence
2 Disenchant
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Crypt Incursion

So it's just straight mill basically. It actually looks a lot different than what I played. Aggro-mill vs. my control mill I guess.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It plays like a burn deck, kind of. You're just trying to knock out 49 cards. Sometimes, you have to do it fast, sometimes you have to do it surgically. Has a lot of good matchups (And a great surprise factor) and a few really tough ones.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any blue EDH players running Thassa in their decks? I hadn't thought about it until I saw two guys next to be both running it over the weekend, even if it never becomes a creature it's still draw-fixing and letting your commander get through unblocked for three mana, which seems too good not to include.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Any blue EDH players running Thassa in their decks? I hadn't thought about it until I saw two guys next to be both running it over the weekend, even if it never becomes a creature it's still draw-fixing and letting your commander get through unblocked for three mana, which seems too good not to include.

I run Thassa in my Damia EDH deck, partially for early-game draw fixing, partially so I can make my Lord of Extinction or Consuming Aberration unblockable :unsmigghh:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Copying this from the eternal thread to here, need some advice for Modern Jund sideboarding.
Well then, after the night for Modern, I have a good idea of what the meta is like here (had to drop for a small hang-out, 4 other people joined so the event would have went on longer), and it primarily consists of two Pod decks, one Melira, the other is LD with Obliterators in them, Jank Ideal, and a White Weenie deck. This is my sideboard for now:

2 Slaughter Games
2 Jund Charm
2 Torpor Orb
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Terminate

There are 2 Golgari Charms that I need to replace for Rakdos Charms, any thoughts on this for now? The Terminates can deal with the Obliterators, Archangel of Thune and Obzedat from the Pod decks, along with Torpor Orb (although I'm thinking of using THE CAGE instead of the orbs, or in addition to them) and Ancient Grudges, but from what I saw in the newcomers, one of them had a 8-Rack deck, and another had some RGU deck that I think was a casual deck, I don't know.

In addition to the sideboarding questions, would it be better for me to replace my Reaper of the Wilds with Huntmaster or Olivia?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's 2hg this week, was going to try monoblack. I was thinking Thoughtseize may not be so good, any suggestions. Only thing I can think of is Thrull Parasite for Extort, or more removal.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Extort and anything that hits "All opponents" counts for both heads across from you. So Gary and even low devotion becomes pretty deadly. Extort becomes better. Hell, the Primordials cycle from RtR become half decent. Enjoy the mechanics! :buddy:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Deckit posted:

Extort and anything that hits "All opponents" counts for both heads across from you. So Gary and even low devotion becomes pretty deadly. Extort becomes better. Hell, the Primordials cycle from RtR become half decent. Enjoy the mechanics! :buddy:

Yeah, guy. Beyond extort and Gary, black also gets Agent of the Fates and Nighthowler (who gets loving HUGE).

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's not black, but Guttersnipe was a real bomb in 2HG the last time I played that. Cast 2 cantrips? That's 8 damage to the face right there.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Extort's the go-to thing for 2HG (at least from personal experience), so you should plan for facing it, too - and the long games that follow. Last time I played was pre-rotation, I paired my Maze's End (Removal not fog) with a UWR Control. It was messy and brutal and the best.

I can see Thoughtsieze/Hand disruption doing good work, pick apart one deck and the other won't be able to cope.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I've been messing around with your guys' murder goats deck in THS block - it seemed fun. I came up with this variant. It's hilarious to combo off elspeth with purphoros and then sac the soldiers to Tymaret.

Deck: Murder Soldiers

//Lands
10 Mountain
6 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
2 Anger of the Gods
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Magma Jet
3 Read the Bones

//Creatures
4 Akroan Horse
4 Ember Swallower
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Tymaret, the Murder King

//Sideboard
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Ray of Dissolution
4 Thoughtseize
4 Dark Betrayal
3 Lightning Strike

Display deck statistics

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

Null1fy posted:

I've been messing around with your guys' murder goats deck in THS block - it seemed fun. I came up with this variant. It's hilarious to combo off elspeth with purphoros and then sac the soldiers to Tymaret.

Deck: Murder Soldiers

Ember Swallower looks like a weird inclusion. Is there any specific reason to throw in a 4/5 whose Monstrosity forces you to sac the lands you would use to pitch Elspeth tokens at the opponent in the late game? Other than that, it looks pretty sweet. I would just probably favor Trading Post over Ember Swallower, especially if you're going to be spending life on Read the Bones and Thoughtseize.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Synathaesia posted:

Ember Swallower looks like a weird inclusion. Is there any specific reason to throw in a 4/5 whose Monstrosity forces you to sac the lands you would use to pitch Elspeth tokens at the opponent in the late game? Other than that, it looks pretty sweet. I would just probably favor Trading Post over Ember Swallower, especially if you're going to be spending life on Read the Bones and Thoughtseize.

Trading post isn't a THS card. Ember Swallower is a blocker / devotion creature for Purphoros. I don't have Stormbreaths, yet, and I'm not sure if I would play them anyway. I might drop the Swallowers for Thoughtseizes.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Hammer of Purphoros looks good for those late-game stalls where nobody has any creatures and Tymaret just sits there in the yard forlornly. How's it been working for you?

(also, elspeth+purp sounds hilarious)

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

a dozen swans posted:

Hammer of Purphoros looks good for those late-game stalls where nobody has any creatures and Tymaret just sits there in the yard forlornly. How's it been working for you?

(also, elspeth+purp sounds hilarious)

I've only played a few matches with the deck online. I've won vs GU Prophet and WU Heroic. I was able to sideboard and out stall people for the win. Akroan Horse essentially won me the games by giving me chump blockers every game. I wonder how I will hold up against MBC and WRBG Control where they can out-control my board. I might try to cut out the ember swallowers and put in another elspeth, and lightening strikes. My biggest threat to the deck is that someone can race out my life total before I can stabilize or protect elspeth.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It might be a bit tricky to answer without me writing up the list, but my BW Commander deck is running 36 land and 3 rocks (Orzhov Signet, Darksteel Ingot and Sol Ring) does that sound about right? I've cut a few land over my last few games getting flooded, my last game I seemed to be waiting on mana a lot, but that may just be luck of the draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Rakdos Aggro players: how important is it to have all four Exavas? Has anyone had success with Civic Saber?

• Locked thread