Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pope Guilty posted:

I dunno, so far his plan seems to be unraveling.

That's quite the blanket statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ConfusedUs posted:

That's quite the blanket statement.

Is it really? I'm not sure he can arrive before Tarquin finishes calling Elan on the carpet.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I dunno, so far his plan seems to be unraveling.

Nah he is woven into the plot. In fact I predict that Julio will take his needle and punch it through tarquin's back(ing).

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 19, 2013

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Wights are free willed as long as if their controller or creator dies. (Sadly they are abominations that hate life so them being free from their controller means they will still attack you.) It's why when a Necromancer creates his first Wight he better be sure to keep that one safe because if it dies he will lose control of all the ones it created.

Ohhhh, that's why it was important for Redcloak to command Tsukiko's wights to devour themselves in a particular order in that strip. Never caught an answer to that back when the strip was current, but that makes a lot of sense.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Shwqa posted:

Edit: it's illegal to be a vampire? That is some racist poo poo right there.

Not really. Vampires have a permanent, immutable in-game restrictions on their alignment. It's not like Drow where every other one somehow is a chaotic good self insertion fantasy. They literally have to be evil. Also they're not a race so, you know, there's that.

I want a new comic. :saddowns:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Shwqa posted:

Edit: it's illegal to be a vampire? That is some racist poo poo right there.

See, you have to understand that racism and bigotry are outpourings of humanity's instinctual hatred of the Other, of the non-group, of the darkness that goes bump in the night. We mistakenly apply that vitriol and hatred to those people that look different from us and that's wrong, because what we really should be directing all that racist hatred at are the true monsters, the vampires and werewolves and ghouls and goblins that haunt the darkness beyond the firelight. So you're drat straight I'm racist against vampires and proud of it! The only good vampire is a dead vampire and I'm going to stake the next goddamn bloodsucker I see.

(directing those instincts against fantasy races also illustrates how ridiculous it is to hate actual people so much.)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Vorgen posted:

The only good vampire is a dead vampire and I'm going to stake the next goddamn bloodsucker I see.

But all vampires are dead and none of them are good!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

jsoh posted:

But all vampires are dead and none of them are good!

Sonny, you just blew. my. goddamned. mind.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I met a vampire once who wore a helm of opposite alignment. He was a good vampire. Staked himself immediately because the only good vampire is a dead vampire. This instantly brought all other vampires back to life because the helm of opposite alignment was actually a helm of opposite idioms, so the only dead vampire was a good vampire.

mutantmell
Oct 14, 2012
Looks like Rich was able to get the comic remade pretty quickly:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

V's familiar nabbed an Ioun stone. :haw: e: Ooh, he got the best one Laurin had, too.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 19, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I just love Elan's songs. Not even this on in particular, just in general.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Glad he was able to find another machine and bang this one out. It shows he doesn't have all his normal assets though - check out the slight color shifting on stuff like Laurin's hair, it has a green tint now, and some of the other chars look like they suffer from bad bucket fills.

Also hooray for Sabine already getting a bit of revenge.

And Tarquin looks so mad at Elan's singing, haha.

mutantmell
Oct 14, 2012

Gally posted:

Glad he was able to find another machine and bang this one out. It shows he doesn't have all his normal assets though - check out the slight color shifting on stuff like Laurin's hair, it has a green tint now, and some of the other chars look like they suffer from bad bucket fills.

https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/413772739028058116

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Gally posted:

I thought something looked off about dreadlocks guy. Still, it's better than waiting 3 weeks on a replacement mac shipping to god knows where.

That Ioun stone Blackwing swiped was the "bonus caster level" one right? I bet V's gonna get some mileage out of that.

edit:

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it was worth it.

Tarquin's back to status "screwed" again.

That's putting it mildly. He's hanging off the edge of an airship, his only remaining ally just bounced and if he tries to pull himself up, they'll just shake him off the side again. Tarquin has lost with a capital L, all they have to do now is wait until he falls.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 19, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it was worth it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That "I made a poor decision!" panel is I think my favorite OoTS panel or at least as long as I can remember. Really put a smile on my face.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Casterfight. :allears:

That was a nice strip.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

My Lovely Horse posted:

At this point all somebody has to do is say, "but nobody could have survived that!" and Tarquin's Final Form will climb back onto the ship and give the Order the fight of their lives.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder why Laurin is clearly fighting defensively. She never tried any offensive powers, and ignored a direct order from Tarquin to "nova" everyone. The only time she's done anything directly harmful to others is self-defense (psychic scream after Miron got offed and she was next, shocking direct attackers like Blackwing). Even suppressing Roy for Tarquin to stab him was pretty neutral.

Any bets on how angry Tarquin is going to be next strip?

The font is actually more readable than usual - the comic typically suffers from bad GIF artifacting on the font, and it's not quite as present in today's strip.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When you're only in the fight as a favour and don't have personal stakes in it per se, you probably don't want to get too much on the bad side of the guys who already gave your friend a huge amount of trouble.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Brannock posted:

I wonder why Laurin is clearly fighting defensively. She never tried any offensive powers, and ignored a direct order from Tarquin to "nova" everyone. The only time she's done anything directly harmful to others is self-defense (psychic scream after Miron got offed and she was next, shocking direct attackers like Blackwing). Even suppressing Roy for Tarquin to stab him was pretty neutral.
It sounds like she has some kind of personal beef with elves and wanted to prove she could best V in a one-on-one duel. Plus V was deliberately using spells that she'd have to dispel/counter before hitting the nuclear button.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it was worth it.

Basically any minute now Roy's going to come back up fully healed, and Tarquin's going to have to deal with him and V dogpiling him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"I have in excess of twenty-five spells remaining. Not counting cantrips."
"..."
*pop!*

Oh, I about pissed myself at that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Brannock posted:

The font is actually more readable than usual - the comic typically suffers from bad GIF artifacting on the font, and it's not quite as present in today's strip.

I'm not quite sure how to tell you guys...

...to be frank I'm highly shocked at this turn of events myself...

...THE STRIP IS IN .PNG :monocle:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

NihilCredo posted:

MOTHER OF GOD! :stare:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Man, imagine what Julio's going through now, what with being at the end of a rope attached to an airship that just did a flip/loop.

And if Laurin really did just teleport completely out of the fight like Mirion did... drat, I'm really looking forward to the latest incoming spasm in Tarquin's meltdown. :allears:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I like how the Mechane has very strict standing orders about dramatic integrity, which the leading officer on deck enforces at all times.

I think the reason V led with so many dispellable non-blaster (force cage, resilient sphere, dimensional anchor, etc.) spells is that s/he was almost out of blaster spells. That "25 spell slots" might have been a decent-sized bluff.

And Tarquin isn't the only guy hanging over the edge, there's also Julio (who is just waiting for the dramatically perfect moment to appear).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Now that Sabine's made her contribution, I don't think there's anything left in the checklist before Tarquin's final curtain call.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Dam it, Rich, how do you expect me to read this on a 14.4kbaud connection!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Regalingualius posted:

Man, imagine what Julio's going through now, what with being at the end of a rope attached to an airship that just did a flip/loop.

I think Julio would be more disappointed if an airship didn't do a sweet flip while he was hanging onto the rope.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FMguru posted:

I like how the Mechane has very strict standing orders about dramatic integrity, which the leading officer on deck enforces at all times.

I think the reason V led with so many dispellable non-blaster (force cage, resilient sphere, dimensional anchor, etc.) spells is that s/he was almost out of blaster spells. That "25 spell slots" might have been a decent-sized bluff.

And Tarquin isn't the only guy hanging over the edge, there's also Julio (who is just waiting for the dramatically perfect moment to appear).

All V had to do was bog Laurin down with effects she had to waste power points on in order to even have the ability to go nuclear, which is precisely what s/he did. Whether s/he had any blaster spells left or not was irrelevant, both s/he and Laurin knew that even if they were 25 CC type spells Laurin could be ground down to a dangerously low amount of PP by simple delaying tactics.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

That "I made a poor decision!" panel is I think my favorite OoTS panel or at least as long as I can remember. Really put a smile on my face.

It's certainly my favourite from this arc (so far).

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

This comic is a big deal from a character narrative. V has changed big time from her fall. She used his non-damage spells to win the fight more easily then her fireballs ever could. She used the advice from someone else to come up with the plan. And she was working as a team with her familiar.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Given the penultimate panel, I'm hoping I'm not alone in thinking that V's saying 'superior intelligence' as a double entendre when previously he/she would just have been boasting.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Shwqa posted:

And she was working as a team with her familiar.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0799.html
Compared to the last duel,V even asked if Blackwing was ok :3:

mutantmell
Oct 14, 2012

Shwqa posted:

This comic is a big deal from a character narrative. V has changed big time from her fall. She used his non-damage spells to win the fight more easily then her fireballs ever could. She used the advice from someone else to come up with the plan. And she was working as a team with her familiar.

It's certainly an improvement even from an earlier point in this arc, where she was fighting Nale's team:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0799.html

And even that last fight was a huge step up pre-splice

EDIT: Oh hey, beaten to the punch :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Given the penultimate panel, I'm hoping I'm not alone in thinking that V's saying 'superior intelligence' as a double entendre when previously he/she would just have been boasting.

It clearly is. "Intelligence" can also mean knowledge about the enemy.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shwqa posted:

I actually like V's arc so far. Out of all the characters she seems to have had the most character growth. After a series of bad decisions with terrible consequences she's made a real change within herself - she has recognized she is not perfect nor all-knowing, and her actions reflect this. Everything from the way she regards others to her tactics in battle reflect a newfound humility and desire to atone for her actions. It's hard to believe she was a sobbing wreck mere hours ago (in-story) after having the sheer scope of her fuckup revealed in the pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mutantmell posted:

Looks like Rich was able to get the comic remade pretty quickly:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html

O GOD I LOVE THIS STRIP