Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:allears: Its beautiful.

Hakkesshu posted:

At this point he should just make a text-heavy game in RPG maker or something like To the Moon. Better than nothing?

Choose your own adventure novels seem up his alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Great Rumbler posted:

He could, but it wouldn't matter. His "talents" lie somewhere far away from actual game development.

More games need good writers. Not that I'm saying he's a good writer, but there's room for people with writing skill and not much else in games. In indie game development where you need to be able to do a little bit of everything, not really. At the very least you should be a good project manager who can make sure that you don't end up in situations where you have long stretches of time where little work is getting done.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Good lord---that's one of the top as far as Bad Kickstarter Ends goes right up there with Manse Macabre and CultRL, and even those derailed off into the wastes with something sort of tangible.

I can only hope other folks looking to start up future ventures add this to the list of studying as far as what not to do.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
How much did that guy get.

Also aren't Idea Guys supposed to have ideas aka game design poo poo? Why not just write a book if you just wanna write - I would think if you were lovely at coding or art you'd at least want to design a game if you were interested enough in game dev to make a kickstarter.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

How much did that guy get.

Also aren't Idea Guys supposed to have ideas aka game design poo poo? Why not just write a book if you just wanna write - I would think if you were lovely at coding or art you'd at least want to design a game if you were interested enough in game dev to make a kickstarter.

Oh, only $19,800 on a $6,000 goal.

Wait, why did people think this would pan out?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wendell posted:

Inexperience with kickstarter in general. At least on my part.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was pretty sceptical but I thought it was worth risking 15 bucks on a new Secret of Mana - like game. And every other KS I've backed have resulted in something, so I guess one failure was inevitable, sooner or later. If I'd given the guy more than that I'd been pissed, though.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Zereth posted:

Inexperience with kickstarter in general. At least on my part.

Yeah, it was right at the beginning of games getting funding on Kickstarter and most people had not learned "DEMO AND/OR EXPERIENCE TEAM" lesson yet. Sucks for the people that gave him over $10 through.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
I apologize for being late to this but haha god holy poo poo "This project has ultimately is died." wow. I really wanna use that line somewhere.

quote:

I started making the project on my own, all of the assets! Unfortunately, I'm more of the jack of all trades. Writing is my favorite thing to do. Game design and writing seems to take a background role when it comes to game development for some reason. It fits my personality so I didn't mind, in fact for Rainfall that's exactly what I wanted.

That's not really even what a jack of all trades means!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

madjackmcmad posted:

I apologize for being late to this but haha god holy poo poo "This project has ultimately is died." wow. I really wanna use that line somewhere.
It almost makes my wasted money worth it, really. :allears:

Dec 26, 2012

He's a jack of all trades (except he doesn't really do all the trades that aren't writing).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

madjackmcmad posted:

I sense the birth of a new meme.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

madjackmcmad posted:

That's not really even what a jack of all trades means!

Maybe that "some reason" is that ideas are cheap and actually building the game is hard??

Maybe???

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Kibayasu posted:

Anyways I've always been slightly worried about the budget Dreamfall Chapters got on Kickstarter. I guess they're doing okay though. Obviously not spending a ton on animation but neither did TLJ or Dreamfall I'm fine with that.
I finally had a chance to watch the full 27 minute video and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. The dialogue system is looking great, which will be important because there is going to be a TON of dialogue. A literal TON. The social media decision thing looks fun too, although being able to see right away what other people picked could influence your decision a lot. Although that's not necessarily a bad thing. It also seems to be shaping into exactly what I'm hoping it would, a 3rd person with point and click core gameplay, and not a hint of combat or QTEs to be seen. You don't see much exploration in that video, but hopefully the environments open up pretty quickly. That would pretty much be my dream game, a point and click where you can wander around reasonably large environments and just explore stuff.

They also mentioned that the animation isn't finished, so I'd expect that to improve quite a bit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah Chapters is looking really good already, its taking a page from the newer adventure games like Telltale's or KRZ and making their own twist on it. The whole having your character explain the dialogue options for you thing makes me kind of baffled that it was never even considered for a game before, it looks like it will add a lot of nice characterization too.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That update from Rainfall has to be one of the biggest piles of bullshit I've ever seen.

quote:

(ten pages of blaming team members)
Still, what was I to do? Blame a team member in public? I would not do that ever

Also, one should be hesitant backing a Kickstarter when the lead guy won't even give out his full name.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

That update from Rainfall has to be one of the biggest piles of bullshit I've ever seen.
It feels like his genuine emotions penned down about his project, although even after all of this he still hasn't grasped why you can't make a Squaresoft beating action RPG for six grand.

Unfortunately it seems like it's losers all around: out-of-his-depth founder driven to despair, team members vastly underpaid, and backers with nothing to show for their cash.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

5% chance on a Dungeonmans biting it: "Mans of Dungeons has ultimately is died."

Midrena
May 2, 2009
One of the backers of Rainfall posted this: "I'm sorry some of us have been overzealous in our criticisms and hope this experience doesn't discourage you from pursuing creative projects in the future, Karim."

That backer is way too nice.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

God's Final Message To His Attempted Creation?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Midrena posted:

One of the backers of Rainfall posted this: "I'm sorry some of us have been overzealous in our criticisms and hope this experience doesn't discourage you from pursuing creative projects in the future, Karim."

I don't know. He clearly did a bad job, but cancelling the project is probably one of the most soul-crushing things he's ever had to do. I do feel bad for him, because I'm sure he had good intentions and I'm sure he thought he could pull it off. This doesn't give people their money back, no, but I know if it happened to me I'd probably be spiraling down into a years-long depression by this point.

He should have done things differently, that much is clear, but I can't imagine the amount of embarassment and self-loathing that this must have caused over such a long period of time. Of course, I don't blame anyone for talking poo poo about him, but I think this is an inevitable side-effect of Kickstarter. Some people just aren't going to be able to handle a project like this, and they have no idea of knowing it until they try. He's not going to be the only one who stumbles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Don't recall anyone mentioning it, but Dropsy got a full page article in the new issue of PC Gamer (UK edition). They liked the look of it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know. He clearly did a bad job, but cancelling the project is probably one of the most soul-crushing things he's ever had to do. I do feel bad for him, because I'm sure he had good intentions and I'm sure he thought he could pull it off. This doesn't give people their money back, no, but I know if it happened to me I'd probably be spiraling down into a years-long depression by this point.

He should have done things differently, that much is clear, but I can't imagine the amount of embarassment and self-loathing that this must have caused over such a long period of time. Of course, I don't blame anyone for talking poo poo about him, but I think this is an inevitable side-effect of Kickstarter. Some people just aren't going to be able to handle a project like this, and they have no idea of knowing it until they try. He's not going to be the only one who stumbles.
I think blaming it all on other people and failing to realize his complete lack of knowledge is what sank this thing will both go a long way towards soothing this guy's psyche. From what he wrote it seems like he's giving himself too much credit.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Midrena posted:

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen that kind of sentiment, be it on Kickstarter, Deviantart, or the Nexus, I could afford to bankroll a terrible KS project by myself. Sure, I sent my condolences when the Cult dev sent out requests for paypal addresses to refund to, but I took the refund and I sure as poo poo won't be funding another one of his projects.

I think that people are willing to toss a few bucks at a pipe dream is both the most intriguing and frustrating thing about Kickstarter. Sure it's only (say) twenty bucks to one person (and who hasn't wasted that much over the course of a week, anyway?), but when there's twenty thousand people ponying up, that becomes a scary amount of cash in total.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wendell posted:

They probably saw those pretty cool sprites on the kickstarter page and thought HELL YEAH.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They probably saw those pretty cool sprites on the kickstarter page and thought HELL YEAH.

That was the sole reason I was interested in the project, though not enough to actually back it. They gave off the impression that this guy knew what he was doing and was farther along in development than he really was.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Reset has shortly over 48 hours and 23k Euros to go. They're really getting desperate and started a referral competition. I don't care as much about the competition (though winning wouldn't hurt :v:) as much as seeing this get made. My referral link is below:

http://igg.me/p/565603/x/5363898

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Overflight posted:

Reset has shortly over 48 hours and 23k Euros to go. They're really getting desperate and started a referral competition. I don't care as much about the competition (though winning wouldn't hurt :v:) as much as seeing this get made. My referral link is below:

http://igg.me/p/565603/x/5363898

Why on earth did they set up the pledge deadline the week of Christmas? I have no flexibility to deal with a USD/Euro payment that accidentally gets my card deactivated.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cheekio posted:

Why on earth did they set up the pledge deadline the week of Christmas? I have no flexibility to deal with a USD/Euro payment that accidentally gets my card deactivated.

I have a feeling that wasn't a consideration for them.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
It was incredibly stupid to put a game that was getting some buzz on the game blogs on indiegogo. Was their reasoning for going on indiegogo given? I'm too lazy to check it all out.

Count Uvula posted:

They're based in Finland so they couldn't use Kickstarter.

Figured it was something like that. Sucks for em.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 22, 2013

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

It was incredibly stupid to put a game that was getting some buzz on the game blogs on indiegogo. Was their reasoning for going on indiegogo given? I'm too lazy to check it all out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

Well, good luck finding someone in the US to put it up on Kickstarter for them. Like everyone else does.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Megazver posted:

Well, good luck finding someone in the US to put it up on Kickstarter for them. Like everyone else does.

I thought it's just a matter of opening a US account with Amazon? Am I horribly wrong? :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sethmaster posted:

I thought it's just a matter of opening a US account with Amazon? Am I horribly wrong? :(

You need someone with a US address and social security number to do it.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM
Does anyone remember the kickstarter for the game where you tried to stack a bunch of manly naked men together? The fallout from it was hilarious and I want to show my friend it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Night in the Woods just released their first little viginette, about the characters sitting around a bonfire tracing constellations. It's mainly just character and world building, but it's pretty cool. It looks like it's available for anyone to download from the main site: http://www.nightinthewoods.com/

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Does anyone remember the kickstarter for the game where you tried to stack a bunch of manly naked men together? The fallout from it was hilarious and I want to show my friend it.

It wasn't a kickstarter, but was it Mount Your Friends?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

At this point he should just make a text-heavy game in RPG maker or something like To the Moon. Better than nothing?

Honestly nothing is probably better than the result would have been.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Trilobyte Games has restarted their failed Kickstarter campaign on a site you've never heard of. The second and third parts of the game are now stretch goals, and the basic goal covers the first floor of the mansion and three puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BiggerJ posted:

Trilobyte Games has restarted their failed Kickstarter campaign on a site you've never heard of. The second and third parts of the game are now stretch goals, and the basic goal covers the first floor of the mansion and three puzzles.

Jeeeesus, 3 months. That's a pretty long time. And yeah, what the heck is Crowdhoster? Goodness, if they couldn't do it on a high traffic site like Kickstarter I don't even know.