Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

It also used to be the easiest, simplest way to massacre every single person on the station. To the point where entire crew wipes were simply a matter of routine, and paranoid HoS/Captains would lock, bolt, and weld shut atmos to keep it out of nefarious hands.

Having played a bit with the engine and having tested out exporting some gas from the hot loop I can safely say that crew wipes are theoretically possible using the current setup (I have not actually executed one, however, as there's always that one human that needs to live :smith: )

Why do I need to be a borg to do this? Well. That cosy fireplace from before killed an unprotected nonhuman in 10 seconds flat.
(It also killed the protected human in about 90 seconds because he didn't understand that giving me the go-ahead to turn escape into a death-zone meant that escape would get turned into a death-zone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Does the radiation artifact trigger work? The DWAINE says it responds to radiation, but I tweaked the rad levels from 1 to 10 and nothing happened.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Spy_Guy posted:

Having played a bit with the engine and having tested out exporting some gas from the hot loop I can safely say that crew wipes are theoretically possible using the current setup (I have not actually executed one, however, as there's always that one human that needs to live :smith: )

It requires more effort than snipping the 2 cameras in atmos, hooking a Plasma/CO2/N2O can up, opening a valve, and watching the station die/fight over the 5 masks available.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Reagents from corpses in the Reclaimer should show up in the next clones bloodstream

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Yes, lets make chemistry traitorism even more powerful

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

amuayse posted:

Does the radiation artifact trigger work? The DWAINE says it responds to radiation, but I tweaked the rad levels from 1 to 10 and nothing happened.

:ssh: It may not be ionizing radiation. Enlist a security man to pacify the artifact with his taser and see where that gets you.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Neat. On the subject of security, how do I actually use my security gear without getting stun gloved/disarm spammed to poo poo?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Soylent Chartreuse should contain some beff.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

amuayse posted:

Neat. On the subject of security, how do I actually use my security gear without getting stun gloved/disarm spammed to poo poo?

Always go for a taser shot first. Never pull out your baton unless you're supremely confident in your robusting skills or your taser is dry and the fight can't get any worse if the enemy has your baton.

Alternatively, sit in the security office mail tickets and eat donuts like a real mallcop :patriot:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Captain Bravo posted:

It also used to be the easiest, simplest way to massacre every single person on the station. To the point where entire crew wipes were simply a matter of routine, and paranoid HoS/Captains would lock, bolt, and weld shut atmos to keep it out of nefarious hands.

This seems unfun as all hell.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

BlueDestiny posted:

Always go for a taser shot first. Never pull out your baton unless you're supremely confident in your robusting skills or your taser is dry and the fight can't get any worse if the enemy has your baton.

Alternatively, sit in the security office mail tickets and eat donuts like a real mallcop :patriot:

I got yelled at so so much when all I did for a round as security was sit at the office window, take complaints, and hand back tickets.

Although I've never had anyone disarm spam me either, but then the people I usually baton are often too busy trying to hide their traitor items, and/or had just shot me with a derringer and didn't expect me to get back up to baton them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Always check someone before you engage. If they are not wearing sunglasses, use your flash. It works just as well as the baton, you should have more than one in case you lose the first, and if they robust it away from you you're protected. Unless you're a scrub who isn't wearing your sunglasses.

Plus, there's a super neat trick I've found that almost always fucks dudes up. If they robust your flash away, let them flash you, then hit "rest". They'll always assume they've flashed you, even people that know you're wearing sunglasses. Hit "stand", and grab your backup flash (or baton) to retaliate while they're flashing/stripping/farting on you. Whenever I try this trick, it works about 99% of the time. Even telling people what you're doing doesn't seem to help, because I've had the exact same people fall for this trick multiple times in a row during a single round. :v:

Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009

dogstile posted:

This seems unfun as all hell.

He must be confused because atmos was never used and was hilariously ineffective because gas took an eternity to go through the pipes, the traitor had to manually go to the maintenance area of every area of the station he wanted to gas and turn the levers, and it was ridiculously easy to stop by sending someone to flip a lever. The real reason it was removed was because it was ineffective and it was only useful for traitors, and it was mostly just used as a second place to get plasma from for making fires or bombs.

Atmos the job/section of the station didn't have anything to do with lag either, thats the Atmos code, which still exists normally as evidenced by the fact that you can still die of suffocation and any major hull breach will double the lag on the server as air moves into the void.

fake edit: The old atmos port vent objects were laggy though, because they constantly added air to the atmosphere which had to be processed, maybe that is why people think atmos (the job) was laggy. Those weren't the same as the pipe system, however.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

If anyone's interested in seeing a very early-stage mspaint draft for cogmap 2.0:

I'd swap Engineering with Sec/Atmos. Atmos can withstand getting blown up and still somewhat function, but if the engine gets sabotaged it's an irredeemable round-ender for anyone working on it and potentially the end of power in general for the station. Plus it potentially means atmos pipes might run under the engine to reach the rest of the station. There's no way at all that could end badly :unsmigghh:.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I'm kinda against the idea of a centralized atmos room really, other old coders were asking for it, but I think I'm just gonna stick to small localized pressure ports instead. Feh!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bring back engine ejection :colbert:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thanks for tips. One last thing. Do tasers/energy bolts go through any armor?

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

amuayse posted:

Thanks for tips. One last thing. Do tasers/energy bolts go through any armor?

yup

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I knew I was doing something wrong on Hemera. I thought I wasn't being robust enough in my space armor against the Securitrons, so I decided to do the stealth route and just cut all the IR sensors. That worked rather well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

amuayse posted:

I knew I was doing something wrong on Hemera. I thought I wasn't being robust enough in my space armor against the Securitrons, so I decided to do the stealth route and just cut all the IR sensors. That worked rather well.

Even more stealth route: weld the door to the securitron room shut.

Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009

-Troika- posted:

Now here is an ancient feature that should come back.

A good alternative would be ejecting research.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Lisonfire posted:

Now here is an ancient feature that should come back.

A good alternative would be ejecting research.

or just Chemistry

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Why not just eject the whole southern half of the station? Saves a ton of people the headache. :colbert:

But seriously, if ejecting the engine gets implemented, the ejected engine needs to go somewhere hilarious before exploding magnificently. Like, just next to the mining outpost, or crash landing into one of the telescience expedition areas or something.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Anticheese posted:

Soylent Chartreuse should contain some beff.

What you spoiled is far more foul than soylent.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

neogeo0823 posted:

Why not just eject the whole southern half of the station? Saves a ton of people the headache. :colbert:

But seriously, if ejecting the engine gets implemented, the ejected engine needs to go somewhere hilarious before exploding magnificently. Like, just next to the mining outpost, or crash landing into one of the telescience expedition areas or something.

Load the engine with explosives and eject if after luring the Changeling aboard.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar

-Troika- posted:

It's been years, so why not?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also instead of just hilariously exploding, escape pods should have a chance of landing on a telescience planet... and then hilariously exploding.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
I reckon QM being next to arrivals would be pretty neat, as people get off the arrivals shuttles they see crates flying by. Thinking of something like the HL1 monorail intro.

e:

Nakar posted:

Also instead of just hilariously exploding, escape pods should have a chance of landing on a telescience planet... and then hilariously exploding.

You crash on the ice moon and are subsequently eaten by wendigos

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

s0m3 guy posted:

You crash on the ice moon and are subsequently eaten by wendigos
You crash on the ice moon and have several seconds to eject from the pod before it explodes, stranding you in the frozen wilderness. You get to choose between fiery death or wendigos. Have fun!

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Nakar posted:

You crash on the ice moon and have several seconds to eject from the pod before it explodes, stranding you in the frozen wilderness. You get to choose between fiery death or wendigos. Have fun!

And you only have the privilege of being torn to shreds by wendigos if you can first survive the bitter cold and unlivable atmosphere.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Admiral Funk posted:

And you only have the privilege of being torn to shreds by wendigos if you can first survive the bitter cold and unlivable atmosphere.
Perhaps the smoldering pod wreckage can keep you warm until they come for you.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nakar posted:

Perhaps the smoldering pod wreckage can keep you warm until they come for you.

My favorite thing about the pods as they are right now is that they rebound off of bodies in their path so they'll just richochet right back into the station and explode.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Never ever load a zip gun with explosive ammo.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Anticheese posted:

ALWAYS load a zip gun with explosive ammo.

I need to use zip guns more

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Load zip guns with explosive 40mm ammo and leave them in the bar.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
So fairly early in the round an emagged medbot loaded me with Pancuronium. There were traitors and at least one werewolf running around so for the most part I was on my back in medbay as different people tried to figure out what was going on. By the time someone identified the poison for what it was I was in crit and died before anything else could happen. I was a little put out that I could be gasping and paralyzed in the middle of medbay for so long and still die.

Within a minute or two, though, I was borged. I came back with the medical loadout and started trying to steal bodies from the werewolf as he was eating them. I got at least a couple people loaded up into the shuttle, including whoever it was that changed the AI laws that round, and it was a lot of fun. And if I'd let myself get upset over the first half of it I wouldn't have been able to have that kind of fun. Patience!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Poland Spring posted:

I need to use zip guns more

Can you actually make them now?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

So fairly early in the round an emagged medbot loaded me with Pancuronium. There were traitors and at least one werewolf running around so for the most part I was on my back in medbay as different people tried to figure out what was going on. By the time someone identified the poison for what it was I was in crit and died before anything else could happen. I was a little put out that I could be gasping and paralyzed in the middle of medbay for so long and still die.

Within a minute or two, though, I was borged. I came back with the medical loadout and started trying to steal bodies from the werewolf as he was eating them. I got at least a couple people loaded up into the shuttle, including whoever it was that changed the AI laws that round, and it was a lot of fun. And if I'd let myself get upset over the first half of it I wouldn't have been able to have that kind of fun. Patience!

The first bit of that is kind of a frustrating thing that makes me wish more people would play doctor at least enough to learn what common medical chems do what. The other night I (a doctor at the time) was in escape, making sure my fellow escapees were healthy to get on board, as escape was freezing and depressurized. I had lost an arm in an explosion on the way there, and that makes getting meds out problematic so I was fishing my kits out of my backpack, dropping them, and then click dragging onto myself to get stuff as needed. Since my belt slot was occupied by my medical belt, I had to put my oxygen tank away whenever I needed a hand free to apply medicine to someone. Another explosion knocked me on the floor, and I wound up staying down due to the oxygen deprivation and I wound up freezing and suffocating to death within arms reach of medkits full of burn patches and salbutamol because no one thought to use them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Idea: Making a flamethrower but instead of using rods use a hollowed pipe frame and fuel + oxygen to make a spud cannon.

Fits any item under a certain size, fires harder or weaker depending on fuel used with exploding chance because black powder cannons are fun and reliable, nice ammo things include rocks, foor tiles, sponges with chems on and drinking glasses full of nasty chems.

Rods glass and cutlery should stick in and cause bleed, heavy objects should knock people over / out.

Stuffing tons of stuff in the barrel should launch multiple projectiles... or explode your arms off.

That or you can just stuff a ton of banana peels in the barrel and gently caress poo poo up clown style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I'm kinda against the idea of a centralized atmos room really, other old coders were asking for it, but I think I'm just gonna stick to small localized pressure ports instead. Feh!

Probably a dumb bad idea, but what about having Atmos control all of the fire doors? Would mean that Atmos alerts from pda's and computers would actually mean something because you'd have to make a mad dash to the control room to keep awful things from expanding across the station.

Could have the added benefit of making it easier for the ai to quarentine areas for legitimate or not so legitimate purposes. And it would stop those drat deathtrap fire alarms from sealing me into an inferno without access to a crowbar.

A major fault I'm already seeing though is removing fire alarms would make it impossible to open fire doors without a crowbar. Maybe replace them with a panic button?

Surely this would work because Nanotrasen ran out of funds for proper safety equipment in favor of that spiffy new arc smelter.

• Locked thread