Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Random save modding question.

I made a modded save for ME2 and it gave me a strange and new kind of grief. It will let me save over the existing file, but I cannot create any new saves on that career and the auto save feature basically does not work. I am wondering what I might have screwed up. I used the save editor, modio to edit the career saves, and usbxtaf to get stuff onto and off of the flash drive.

No idea if this is just a random glitch or if I did something significantly wrong with the save file that caused it to do this. Any ideas?

With some testing, it seems to limit me to the number of saves I have when I mod the game. Like it's the profile that's corrupted and not the save itself, like it's a modio problem. I have the most recent version of Modio.

My current profile had two saves plus an auto save. Deleting the auto save let it auto save again, but it would not then overwrite that auto save until it was deleted and the slot freed up. When I deleted the auto save it also let me create a third manual save. Create new save does nothing unless there is a free "slot" so when I delete one save and have two left, I can create a new save. I can overwrite any of my three saves at any time if one of them is not an auto save, but the game will not automatically overwrite the saves present in the profile like the profile has been set to read only or something.

Similarly, the "chapter save" for restarting a mission seems to be permanently stuck as restart lazarus station.

I imported a glitched career into a new one and it let me make new saves and auto saved just fine. Once I mod it, though, it screws up. I am using USBxtaf latest version, modio latest version, and the modified save editor which lets you change upgrade numbers.

loving wierd. I can't find anything on google from someone who has had a similar problem.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Are the files marked read only for some reason?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, never buying any of the ME3 DLC is going to make it expensive to do so now :smith:

I'm leaning towards not getting Omega because that place (and Aria) aren't that interesting to me, whereas Citadel/Ashes/Leviathan do. Am I horribly wrong?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd say that's the optimal course of action.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Omega's the least-important in terms of plot impact of all the story DLC, so it's cool to skip it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Leviathan added an interesting new level to the story, and citadel was so much fun I swear if you don't buy it, I will give you the kalesha al jilani treatment :colbert:

Omega was ehh, I'd only buy it if it's bundled or if it's 75% off.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Let me put it this way: I've played through ME3 a bunch of times. I always pick up Javik. I almost always do Leviathan. I almost always do Citadel.

I did Omega once after I picked it up on sale. I did it again with low effort Shepard just yesterday, and won't touch it again. There's just no replay value to it, and it doesn't add anything to the main story (unlike From Ashes/Leviathan) or adds a lot of fun (like Citadel.)

The only reason to get it is if you REALLY like Aria - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I would not get it otherwise.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
I liked Omega well enough--two good bonus powers, an interesting new character, and a slight change of pace in atmosphere and gameplay--but it's indeed the one to skip. For $15 I feel like you should get a new hub area or permanent squadmate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

epenthesis posted:

For $15 I feel like you should get a new hub area or permanent squadmate.

From the description of the other main character in Omega and the fact that it's set on Omega itself I'd be willing to bet that was probably the plan and it got downsized as they went along.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

The only reason to get it is if you REALLY like Aria - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I would not get it otherwise.

This describes no one.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Omega is much more fun than Leviathan. Leviathan is important lore-wise, sure, but the gameplay is just dull.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

From the description of the other main character in Omega and the fact that it's set on Omega itself I'd be willing to bet that was probably the plan and it got downsized as they went along.

Assuming that we'd get an extra squadmate in Nyreen - I'm not sure how good she would have been. Her powers/weapons duplicate Kaidan to some extent - Incinerate instead of Reave, the marginally useful Biotic Protector instead of Barrier, and grenades instead of cryo.

Would Omega have worked well as a hub? The Citadel wasn't that much of a hub in ME3 - outside of the main story missions, it only served as a store and place to pick up quests. Omega wouldn't have had any missions once you completed it, so you'd only have stores and fetchquests - that would have seemed pretty useless which may be why it was cut.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Omega is worth it for Flare.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Assuming that we'd get an extra squadmate in Nyreen - I'm not sure how good she would have been. Her powers/weapons duplicate Kaidan to some extent - Incinerate instead of Reave, the marginally useful Biotic Protector instead of Barrier, and grenades instead of cryo.

Would Omega have worked well as a hub? The Citadel wasn't that much of a hub in ME3 - outside of the main story missions, it only served as a store and place to pick up quests. Omega wouldn't have had any missions once you completed it, so you'd only have stores and fetchquests - that would have seemed pretty useless which may be why it was cut.

Well yeah, all of that makes sense as to why they probably would've cut it. They had this squadmate that's interesting on paper (I haven't played it so I don't know how she actually is, but she sounds cool) but doesn't gel well with the squadmates you have, power-wise, and a whole new area they'd have to design as a hub with a ton of new quests and stuff to make it work, new stuff for the stores to sell, etc. It sounds cool and all but it was probably more effort than they wanted to put in given what Omega seems to be intended to be.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Omega is worth it for Flare.

Which, ironically, is only good on infiltrators.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

There's his loyalty mission as well - I always tell Garrus and whoever is with him (Miranda or Zaeed usually) to stay behind cover just before the YMIRs come out, and do they listen? Nope, so I have to tell everyone to hightail it to cover under fire and usually both go down and I have to solo the bots :argh:

VVVV - Grunt also makes a good distraction

Pro tip for this mission. A carefully timed overload on the cranes is a one shot kill of the YMIR's.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
When does Liara's mission in me2 unlock? After horizon? I downloaded shadow broker, but it's not a mission yet.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Kameh posted:

When does Liara's mission in me2 unlock? After horizon? I downloaded shadow broker, but it's not a mission yet.

Once you get to Ilium for the first time. You may have to read about it in your email first.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kameh posted:

Hank Morgan posted:

Once you get to Ilium for the first time. You may have to read about it in your email first.

Just be quasi-warned that as soon as you travel to Liara's apartment you're locked into the mission until its done, though that's not really a problem at all unless you're doing it after the crew kidnapping for some reason. No one besides Liara and Shepard get dialogue either so no need to worry about that either.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just started playing ME3, a game I really don't remember a whole lot about. I do know that I missed out on getting TIM to shoot himself, and I'm reasonably sure that's because you have to get a P/R line in each time you talk to him. Am I correct?

edit: vvv thanks, because I was pretty sure I missed that one, and I remember being annoyed about not finding the right path to get to the P/R line last time.

double edit: is there any way, short of lowering the resolution, to increase the size of all the HUD icons?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 22, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Just started playing ME3, a game I really don't remember a whole lot about. I do know that I missed out on getting TIM to shoot himself, and I'm reasonably sure that's because you have to get a P/R line in each time you talk to him. Am I correct?

You are. The one most people miss is buried in the "Investigate" dialogue on Mars instead of right at the end like most others.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I prefer shooting him to be honest. Either way he's dead, but when you shoot him he gets this nice little dying line about how the Earth looks beautiful.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Streebs posted:

Ok, my mistake. I used shockwave on that part of the game in my first playthrough on a lower difficulty and the husks had no armor so they all went flying. I just assumed that with armor they would stay put but what you say makes sense. I actually just played this part of the game on insanity about 2 weeks ago as a vanguard. Using charge to one shot kill husks (after stripping their armor) is really gratifying.
:ssh: iirc, powers can hit armored enemies as long as they're not aimed at them specifically.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Just be quasi-warned that as soon as you travel to Liara's apartment you're locked into the mission until its done, though that's not really a problem at all unless you're doing it after the crew kidnapping for some reason. No one besides Liara and Shepard get dialogue either so no need to worry about that either.

Well, all the squadmates get a descriptory line at the last boss fight, but that's a small fraction of the content in Lair.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

U.T. Raptor posted:

:ssh: iirc, powers can hit armored enemies as long as they're not aimed at them specifically.
That doesn't matter. You can aim and hit them when they're armored just as well as when they're unarmored. The power icon being red doesn't mean you can't use it. It just when that use it, it doesn't have it's full effect. It usually just staggers them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there anything, from a technical perspective, stopping me from loading my last ME2 save in gibbed's editor and semi-drastically changing the events of ME1 and ME2 for an ME3 import? Are there any pitfalls to that I should know about?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Is there anything, from a technical perspective, stopping me from loading my last ME2 save in gibbed's editor and semi-drastically changing the events of ME1 and ME2 for an ME3 import? Are there any pitfalls to that I should know about?

Well, as long as you don't set conflicting flags (both Virmire options alive or something) I suppose you theoretically won't run into trouble. Obviously make a back-up first. There's also a Mass Effect Saves website where people have uploaded their files if you can find one that suits you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

There's also a Mass Effect Saves website where people have uploaded their files if you can find one that suits you.

I've occasionally dabbled in using other people's saves, but it always wound up being a Not-My-Doctor sort of thing. As silly as it is, I can change an existing Shep, but I have a hell of a hard time using someone else's ShepFace. Which makes my next question quite hypocritical:

Is there any way to take the default ME3 femshep face and apply it into ME1? I realize it's a bit :fap:y and superficial, but 3Fem looks really good.

EDIT: Oh my giddy aunt, I've always been more of an Avenger fan when it comes to ARs (never liked the Diablo-esque Mattock), but the Plasma Rifle that came with From Ashes is awesome. No Goddamned Ammo! It's a laser beam! Did I mention I'm a Soldier? It is a burning/shieldburning goddamned laser! :swoon:

Fake Edit: ME3 Jack is much hotter than ME2 Jack.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 22, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I've occasionally dabbled in using other people's saves, but it always wound up being a Not-My-Doctor sort of thing. As silly as it is, I can change an existing Shep, but I have a hell of a hard time using someone else's ShepFace. Which makes my next question quite hypocritical:

Is there any way to take the default ME3 femshep face and apply it into ME1? I realize it's a bit :fap:y and superficial, but 3Fem looks really good.

Like the default ManShep face, I believe the ME3 FemShep is unique, so I doubt it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In ME1 faceedit, there's a code along the bottom of the screen. A quick Google reveals a number of people have made fairly good likenesses, just find one with a preview pic you like and follow the instructions to replicate it. Just make sure the codes end up the same.

There may be a way of entering this code straight into Gibbed or the December editor, but I am a consoletard and have not tried myself.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lightning Knight posted:

An Omega vs. Cerberus plot was part of the base game in the earlier version of the script but it was re-written significantly after being cut and Nyreen did not exist at all back then. She was created specifically for the DLC version of the story which was changed to accommodate the Invasion comic series. Zaeed also originally made his cameo during the Omega mission chain.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

An Omega vs. Cerberus plot was part of the base game in the earlier version of the script but it was re-written significantly after being cut and Nyreen did not exist at all back then. She was created specifically for the DLC version of the story which was changed to accommodate the Invasion comic series. Zaeed also originally made his cameo during the Omega mission chain.

Still in the same spot where you recruit him in ME2? :haw:

Honestly, I kind of wish we'd gotten more... Events of note with the party members turned NPCs. Like, say, potentially having at least one run-in with Morinth that makes it clearer why she ran and how she ends up as a Banshee.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This game would've been a lot better with one more year in development. I mean the ending might still have sucked, but some of these ancillary bits with your old squad members would've been better realized.

At least they were able to do Citadel properly.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Still in the same spot where you recruit him in ME2? :haw:

Honestly, I kind of wish we'd gotten more... Events of note with the party members turned NPCs. Like, say, potentially having at least one run-in with Morinth that makes it clearer why she ran and how she ends up as a Banshee.

It would have made more sense for Morinth to show up during the Monastery mission - it was pretty clear from her emails and actions that she did care about her sisters. It may have played differently, with Morinth insisting that her remaining sister be allowed to leave.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. :)

I've heard that Omega somehow ties into the main plot by explaining a bit more how Cerberus got so strong so fast? Cause my problem with Cerberus being as strong as they are was never that it didn't make sense (they're really not that strong, their only two major, impressive achievements in the game, militarily are both accomplished due to surprise and easily defeated once you help out the local opposing forces), in and of itself, but that it happened so fast and that I didn't find it believable that they could get a hold of so much in only six months time.

I also found the Grissom Academy scene in particular to be somewhat silly because the whole "there's a Cerberus cruiser there, whatever will we do?!" thing was preposterous when you remembered that the Normandy has a wave motion gun and could just splatter the cruiser across the wall like yesterday's meatloaf surprise. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I think the concern with Grissom Academy would've been potentially also hitting the station due to proximity, or the Cerberus ship deliberately positioning itself so that the Academy would've been along the same trajectory as the Normandy's shots.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

It would have made more sense for Morinth to show up during the Monastery mission - it was pretty clear from her emails and actions that she did care about her sisters. It may have played differently, with Morinth insisting that her remaining sister be allowed to leave.

It would have been necessary in that case to account for saves in which she and Samara were both alive, which would have dramatically changed the parameters of the mission.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I think the concern with Grissom Academy would've been potentially also hitting the station due to proximity, or the Cerberus ship deliberately positioning itself so that the Academy would've been along the same trajectory as the Normandy's shots.
Basically the deal in ME3 is not that Cerberus is a powerful military force but that they position themselves smartly so that it's hard to bring a lot of force against them without unacceptable collateral damage. So you could just destroy the Illusive Man's base, but you need the technology he stole; and you could wipe out that Cerberus cruiser in seconds but then the academy would take damage and harm people on board.

Of course, in a role-playing game that allows you to play as a Jack bauer-esque Renegade the option would have been nice.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

epenthesis posted:

It would have been necessary in that case to account for saves in which she and Samara were both alive, which would have dramatically changed the parameters of the mission.

That's not possible outside of hacking, unless you mean when you don't do Samara's loyalty mission at all, in which case they'd probably handle that by ignoring Morinth in ME3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Regalingualius posted:

Absolutely, but they don't say that, they just say that they'll lose against the ship in a straight fight, which is ridiculous.

If the Normandy can face down a Collector Cruiser with its own wave motion gun in one-on-one combat and win handily a conventional human vessel is like an old wooden ship of the line trying to face down a fighter jet with guided missiles from miles in the sky.

• Locked thread