Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The problem is they usually do it in a way that makes it fairly obvious they don't really think that way. Carolla's ignorant bullshit tends to be couched in "Telling it like it is" style stuff, and while it works sometimes, it sometimes comes off as ignorant as gently caress.

Maybe Bald Bryan could play the comedy badum-tssssh sound after each bit so you would know he was joking. :rimshot:

The dude does a 90 minute podcast 5 days a week, plus three other podcasts. That's about 10 hours a week worth of time to fill. He uses a lot of personal anecdotes where he exaggerates certain aspects to make it funny or show worthy. Like when his kid's teacher called Adam out in front of all the kids and parents for being wrong when Adam was right. Adam went off about it the next show. It got back to the teacher through a "concerned" third-party, and it offended her. He did a pretty good job on the following episode explaining how his style of comedy works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Since we're kinda on the subject, I stopped listening or checking to see who the guest was well over a year ago. It wasn't racism, boot straps or anything political. It was the drat story about his wife's New Year's Eve champagne. About the 4th time he decided to share this sagely advice about how to be a total spergin dick to ones wife I turned off the show and never looked back. I can listen to a funny or interesting story 4 or 5 times but not an unfunny one about the time some one was a huge dick for no good reason. A glass of champagne is going to send them to the poor house but an office that has a car elevator to change out the "office car", yep, totally not a waste of money at all.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I still listen to some, but I have pretty low standards and a lot of time at work to fill with some entertainment. His political stuff doesn't even bother me anymore, the show just isn't that funny most of the time. Maybe he's doing too many shows or maybe he's just mailing it in, but I don't laugh as much as I used to at his stuff.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Sieg posted:

Most of the time you enjoy it and most of the time you find it funny. What is the problem? Comedians say stupid and offensive things to get a laugh.

That would be true if his rants were actually funny. He's not even trying to make them humorous anymore, it's just a millionaire complaining about his gardener leaving the gate open and how poor people aren't sick and dying enough.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I just noticed that Bald Bryan was on Drew's podcast yesterday to talk about his book: Shrinkage: Manhood, Marriage, and the Tumor that tried to kill me.

Any bets on how that went?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Considering Drew has repeatedly mentioned how much he enjoyed Bryan's book I'm guessing good.

I completely stopped listening to the Adam & Drew podcast as it is everything people have complained about above just concentrated and without a guest or the news to keep him from going on too long. I waver on listening to the regular podcast, though I still do it mostly daily out of habit. The skip ahead button works great for when Adam forces Joy Koy to do the same exact bit for 10 minutes or if Adam starts on an ignorant political/"crafted a society" rant.

Really it's beginning to seem more like if I need to listen to his nasally drone without being annoyed, the random loveline streams are the best options I have available. The only caveat there is getting annoyed when he rants against something on loveline that he has done a complete 180 on during the podcast. The most recent example was on a loveline episode where he complained about how awful cash advance places are and that "Manson has better karma" than the guys who open them. Sooo what about the guys that promote them?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Remember the good old days when it was just a funny one on one interview show? Adam seemed to genuinely be interested in his guest and would tell anecdotes or run bits if they felt organic to how the conversation was going.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tweak posted:

The only caveat there is getting annoyed when he rants against something on loveline that he has done a complete 180 on during the podcast. The most recent example was on a loveline episode where he complained about how awful cash advance places are and that "Manson has better karma" than the guys who open them. Sooo what about the guys that promote them?

At this point I can't wait till he starts railing against sluts on birth control like most conservatives, despite all the time pushing birth control as a positive in his Loveline days. I think even Drew would have something to say about that.

I stopped listening to the podcast last year when I started yelling at Adam as I was listening because he was parroting right wing talking points about taxes all the time. I feel much better for it, there are tons of amazing podcasts to fill your commutes with, please stop listening to Adam's hateful bullshit against poor people.

Adam used to joke about how complaining about first class seats made him out of touch, now he does it unironically.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 17, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Bald Bryan was pretty good on Drew. I thought it was funny that Bryan's off air friends called him smug and self-satisfied when he gave them an anonymous personality test. He says Bryan Bishop is way better about it, but Bald Bryan the on air persona hasn't changed. So I guess he is intentionally annoying to Adam to generate drama? I'm not sure, I haven't listened to Bryan anywhere else.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WampaLord posted:

At this point I can't wait till he starts railing against sluts on birth control like most conservatives, despite all the time pushing birth control as a positive in his Loveline days. I think even Drew would have something to say about that.

Drew is sneaky in that I'm pretty sure he's conservative on most issues but doesn't let it out much on the air. Kind of lets Adam do the talking and then nods his head. Remember that Drew was strongly against gay marriage years ago and came around when his popularity became more mainstream.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Stacy Dash sounds like a very stupid person.

Both of his guests on Mondays podcast were total duds. Quinton Aaron's mother sounded exactly like the type of mother that Carolla loves to rail against (rightfully so).

visuvius fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 17, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Drew is sneaky in that I'm pretty sure he's conservative on most issues but doesn't let it out much on the air. Kind of lets Adam do the talking and then nods his head. Remember that Drew was strongly against gay marriage years ago and came around when his popularity became more mainstream.

Drew also tries to push 12 stepping as the only effective way to quit substance abuse, which doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that it forces people who aren't in touch with their spiritual side to acknowledge a higher power. That's a fairly conservative viewpoint (and Drew should loving know better).

There's also the fact that, for some people, 12 stepping isn't the answer, regardless of faith.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Drew also tries to push 12 stepping as the only effective way to quit substance abuse, which doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that it forces people who aren't in touch with their spiritual side to acknowledge a higher power. That's a fairly conservative viewpoint (and Drew should loving know better).

There's also the fact that, for some people, 12 stepping isn't the answer, regardless of faith.

That's kind of disingenuous. He states through and through that he considers 12 step to be the best form of treatment, and consistently says that the higher power is just a way to let people come into believing that there is something bigger in their lives than them, and that it'll help them through this. It's a treatment he recommends, not a conservative viewpoint. It's just like how he has come to say that gender reassignments are the best treatment for people with gender identity issues so that's what he believes is the best treatment for that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's mostly about giving up control. This is in my humble and only somewhat-informed opinion a tough but critical thing for most addicts.

The other thing that addicts do when people try to move towards separating them from their drug of choice is quickly get angry and :qq: and desperate and that higher power thing is an easy target. But that said yeah it's an easy target for a reason and as Drew would say, fine, enjoy!

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drew has said specifically on Loveline that it's just about surrendering yourself and you don't need to be a theist, you can "give yourself over" to fate or the universe or something, as long as it's some sort of larger force. It's not like all 12-step groups are the same either, there are some hardcore Christian ones and some that are completely secular.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

You do know what he does for a job, right? I'd trust his judgment more than angry internet atheist #24569.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ez posted:

Drew has said specifically on Loveline that it's just about surrendering yourself and you don't need to be a theist, you can "give yourself over" to fate or the universe or something, as long as it's some sort of larger force. It's not like all 12-step groups are the same either, there are some hardcore Christian ones and some that are completely secular.

I don't remember what episode it was, but a guy called in to either ADS or DDS fairly recently and said he didn't want to do a 12 step program because he was an atheist. Drew said exactly this same thing. It is about realizing you are a tiny speck in the scope of time and space or whatever you have to do.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Or hey it may be the recognition that one's addictive urges are driven by biochemistry that has a strong mental and physiological effect on your system; and that biochemistry is a function of the vageries of one's own gene expression, epigenetic control, miRNA control, and likely governed by other biochemical pathways we haven't found yet.

None of the above has an iota of God in it, but it forces the addict to recognize they are not in control of their urges/actions truly fully and that giving themselves over to the idea there is more governing the universe than one's own will might be a good/rational place to start healing.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Hey, whatever works. If believing in Santa Clause could get you off of heroin I say do it.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Definitely listen to the deaf frat guy episode I'm like halfway through and crying.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Evil Vin posted:

Definitely listen to the deaf frat guy episode I'm like halfway through and crying.
Hell yeah bro.

The Ace Awards were today's show, this is a good one to check out if you don't listen regularly. Nothing too unexpected but there were some pretty solid moments this year. I'd almost forgotten about the buttplug connoisseur, that was a personal favorite. This year also had Elliot Gould, the magical dude-off between Dawson and Diamond Dallas Page, and the original Jo Koy in the Floaters and DAG doing Teddy Pendergrass before they got beaten to death.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hell yeah bro.

The Ace Awards were today's show, this is a good one to check out if you don't listen regularly. Nothing too unexpected but there were some pretty solid moments this year. I'd almost forgotten about the buttplug connoisseur, that was a personal favorite. This year also had Elliot Gould, the magical dude-off between Dawson and Diamond Dallas Page, and the original Jo Koy in the Floaters and DAG doing Teddy Pendergrass before they got beaten to death.

gently caress yeah I laways love those episodes.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Penn's Sunday School finally updated. 5 new episodes to download :stonk:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Something's going on with your podcast manager; I've been getting them weekly without issue.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

vote_no posted:

Something's going on with your podcast manager; I've been getting them weekly without issue.

I don't have one, I've been downloading them from the website, which they hadn't updated for weeks. I still saw them on my feed but couldn't figure out how to download them.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Boinks posted:

I don't have one, I've been downloading them from the website, which they hadn't updated for weeks. I still saw them on my feed but couldn't figure out how to download them.

I guess I've never actually gone to the website.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Does anyone think Adam has a chance in hell of getting Tom Cruise for his doc?

Personally, I don't think he has a prayer. Also smart on his part to mention it, the crack a bunch of jokes about him, deride his religion, and then go off on a rant. If he had a chance, cruise's publicists hearing any of that would've finished it off.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Grant DaNasty posted:

Does anyone else struggle with the decision whether to keep listening to Adam? I've been listening to his main show and Adam & Drew Show for a long while now, and most of the time I enjoy it. It's great that I have a daily podcast to listen to at work, and there are several times where he's made me laughed out loud.

But he keeps saying poo poo and that infuriates me to no end. "You see, some bullying is good. Fat kids need to be made fun of so they'll have incentive to lose weight." "Poor people don't deserve healthcare." "Edward Snowden is a traitor. If you're not a terrorist you have nothing to worry about if the government spies on you." And then today on Adam & Drew he even offended Dr. Drew by saying "Half the people in this city came here on loving donkey from Tijuana and they don't even read. Half the people in this town are so loving dumb."

I keep coming back because most of the time I find him funny, but it just keeps getting closer to that point where I'm going to have to unsubscribe.

You should do as I did and ditch this right-wing shitheaded trash entirely. Loveline was great. Modern Adam and Drew are not. There's 50 podcasts out there that are worth listening to before this one. If you haven't listened to every (or even just the episodes with someone interesting to you) Nerdist, WTF, YMIW, and anything by anyone else you end up liking a lot, you should start there. It'll be years before you're caught up entirely, as opposed to needing to suffer. Also, The Bugle. 100% The Bugle, need to listen to that poo poo, cannot recommend it enough.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Sieg posted:

Most of the time you enjoy it and most of the time you find it funny. What is the problem? Comedians say stupid and offensive things to get a laugh.

To get a laugh is different from 'because they believe what they're saying wholeheartedly and literally despise everyone who's not as rich as they are and as white as they are.' Adam and right-wing comedians are vile because they're LEGITIMATELY attacking those who are disadvantaged and less powerful than they are. Adam is kicking people while they're down for a laugh. Not even for a laugh, really. Just because he hates them.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
"People always think I'm kidding, but I'm being serious!"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

. Adam is kicking people while they're down for a laugh. Not even for a laugh, really. Just because he hates them.

See: How Adam treats Ray.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

You should do as I did and ditch this right-wing shitheaded trash entirely. Loveline was great. Modern Adam and Drew are not. There's 50 podcasts out there that are worth listening to before this one. If you haven't listened to every (or even just the episodes with someone interesting to you) Nerdist, WTF, YMIW, and anything by anyone else you end up liking a lot, you should start there. It'll be years before you're caught up entirely, as opposed to needing to suffer. Also, The Bugle. 100% The Bugle, need to listen to that poo poo, cannot recommend it enough.
I wanna throw Uhh Yeah Dude in the mix in pro as gently caress podcasts. The Uhh Yeah Dawg thread is one of 3 or so threads in all of SA history where every single post-- and I mean every single post is positive and praises the show/latest ep. There is no negativity in there at all. Not that that's an indictment on this thread and its posters, just that that is the level of quality the podcast brings to its listeners every week (since 2006).

Uhh Yeah Doug thread

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

beep by grandpa posted:

I wanna throw Uhh Yeah Dude in the mix in pro as gently caress podcasts. The Uhh Yeah Dawg thread is one of 3 or so threads in all of SA history where every single post-- and I mean every single post is positive and praises the show/latest ep. There is no negativity in there at all. Not that that's an indictment on this thread and its posters, just that that is the level of quality the podcast brings to its listeners every week (since 2006).

Uhh Yeah Doug thread

It's nothing at all like this show, so dip in if you feel like abandoning the concept of the ACS entirely

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

It's nothing at all like this show, so dip in if you feel like abandoning the concept of the ACS entirely
Yeah I tried it out a while ago and didn't care for it at all.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

That's not really fair, though - I love Adam's show when he's not being a douche, but I hate almost all of the similar pods (LA comedians talking about comedy and having a rotating cast of comedian guests). Similarly, I love UYD but can't stomach most pop culture/infotainment/LA hipster pod/dancecasts.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It's good to have the show back, I missed having it on the drive in to work and all that. I caught up on the other podcasts I subscribe to pretty quick. He finally talks about the new house, I still think it's weird it was barely mentioned before even though they've been moved for a while. Also he kept saying "I moved", which sounded like they split up or something.

Also historic moment, neckbeards are finally discussed on the show. They go more generally into facial hair as a broad topic, but I think that's a first.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

Good advice ITP

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97pwuQw-dYE I also didn't know that Adam defended Zimmerman, which is an immediate, 100%, no argument, no qualification, no possibly justification stamp of racism. Not just racism, but of outright MURDER ALL BLACKS. If I believed for a second that there was even the tiniest shred of this being one of the many obvious stances Adam's taken in order to pander to the conservatives in America in order to get more money (because nothing else matters to him, we all know that at this point), I'd be slightly more forgiving. But holy poo poo. Just so disgusted by him. And one of the funniest things about the earlier comments about how bad the sponsors Adam shills for? He has complete control over who he accepts money from. This isn't like his radio show, where he's contractually obligated to do spots for whatever the station execs have sorted out-- he's in the captain's chair! He chose to dive down a well of poo poo after a nickle. Also, check out the comments in that video if you wanna see what Adam's pandering to. Outright racism all over, not even ATTEMPTS at concealing it somewhat. Just flat out 'I wish all black people were lined up in front of me so that I could execute them en masse for White America!' poo poo.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97pwuQw-dYE I also didn't know that Adam defended Zimmerman, which is an immediate, 100%, no argument, no qualification, no possibly justification stamp of racism. Not just racism, but of outright MURDER ALL BLACKS. If I believed for a second that there was even the tiniest shred of this being one of the many obvious stances Adam's taken in order to pander to the conservatives in America in order to get more money (because nothing else matters to him, we all know that at this point), I'd be slightly more forgiving. But holy poo poo. Just so disgusted by him. And one of the funniest things about the earlier comments about how bad the sponsors Adam shills for? He has complete control over who he accepts money from. This isn't like his radio show, where he's contractually obligated to do spots for whatever the station execs have sorted out-- he's in the captain's chair! He chose to dive down a well of poo poo after a nickle. Also, check out the comments in that video if you wanna see what Adam's pandering to. Outright racism all over, not even ATTEMPTS at concealing it somewhat. Just flat out 'I wish all black people were lined up in front of me so that I could execute them en masse for White America!' poo poo.

You should probably stop listening to his shows and find something else to do with your life. I think any of the NPR shows would be right up your alley. You seem to be very upset and that's not good for your humors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yo can we get back to discussions by people who actually still listen to the show, everyone is aware there are tons of great podcasts out there. I don't care for Howard Stern yet somehow I am able to contain myself from going into that thread and proselytizing people to listen to Ask Mr. Biggs instead (Mr. Biggs is pretty rad though, you should listen to it although they haven't updated in over a year). If everyone's New Years Resolution was to stop listening to nasally ranting then this thread shall die a natural death and that is the way of things.

Bolek posted:

Good advice ITP
Thanks for stoppin by