Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
What if he blames Paz for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Uh oh.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Carrasco posted:

Considering how the old robots were in terms of willing deactivation, I'm fully expecting it to go in the opposite direction, where robots who work well and are true to the Faith can hope that one day, the Angel will deliver them to a True Death. :smith:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Robot, you are being needlessly religious again. Stop it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Robot is the best creepy cultist.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Considering how the old robots were in terms of willing deactivation, I'm fully expecting it to go in the opposite direction, where robots who work well and are true to the Faith can hope that one day, the Angel will deliver them to a True Death. :smith:

Yeah, the phrase "proper death" indicates a degree of reverence. As if Creepy Cultist Robot wasn't bad enough now we've got Creepy Death Cultist Robot.

Also, still no chapter end thingie.

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

"Proper death" could mean being reduced to ashes. Maybe something with Kat being the creator and Annie being the destroyer?
:flame: Now THAT'S a proper death!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Proper death means it had a proper life. "Not broken circuits, not a battered hull, not shattered silicon, this was real living robot flesh, and now it is dead, rather than broken".

You might be thinking "well, what's the point of a proper life if it means you end up dying, aren't robots better off as they are now?" But remember all the stuff with the psychopomps and the aether? Living robots will get to shape the world in ways that merely functioning robots do not.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carrasco posted:

Nah, it seems like he overall considers the "true" death a good thing, so he probably credits it to Kat. So I guess that means Kat is now becoming a bona fide angel of death for the robots :unsmigghh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A robotic angel of death would look pretty scary.

Merry RoboChristmas everyone!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 25, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, it does look pretty scary.

Man that was a great update. I don't think anybody expected that :allears:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

SynthOrange posted:

A robotic angel of death would look pretty scary.

Pretty sure this is what Zimmy sees when she looks at Kat.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Cat Mattress posted:

Proper death means it had a proper life. "Not broken circuits, not a battered hull, not shattered silicon, this was real living robot flesh, and now it is dead, rather than broken".

You might be thinking "well, what's the point of a proper life if it means you end up dying, aren't robots better off as they are now?" But remember all the stuff with the psychopomps and the aether? Living robots will get to shape the world in ways that merely functioning robots do not.

This elegantly ties in with Jones not being able to access the ether at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Jesus Christ its Robo-Jesus Christ just in time for Christmas.

And Tom says he doesn't plan his update timing out in advance. :colbert:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wittgen posted:

This elegantly ties in with Jones not being able to access the ether at all.

Because she is a robot?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wyld Karde posted:

Robot, you are being needlessly religious again. Stop it.

Is attempting to find meaning in existence ever truly needless? :v:

Like I've said before, I don't think Robot is creepy because he's dangerous or malevolent in any way, just that most of us aren't really familiar with dealing with raw unshakeable conviction like he has.

It still may end up being to the cast's detriment in the end but I'm willing to go on record saying it won't.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I don't think this has to do with having a proper life. According to Vintage Robot (see page 894), they already consider themselves alive. Thing is, they never actually die as being turned off doesn't end their existence; they are kept in "a state of waiting to be free", which we can all agree must suck. I'm pretty sure robo-euthanasia isn't allowed in the Court, so what Kat inadvertently did to the mecha frog leg would be seen as an incredible act of mercy: after serving its purpose, the robot was permanently terminated instead of being stuck in a closet (see page 8) or a tiny prison (see page 216), condemned to an eternity in limbo.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Nowhere in there Vintage Bot consider hmself as alive, though? He uses sleep as a comparison, yes, but he does not call himself alive. So arguably, Kat's project with the first alive, and then dead robot.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Iceclaw posted:

Nowhere in there Vintage Bot consider hmself as alive, though? He uses sleep as a comparison, yes, but he does not call himself alive. So arguably, Kat's project with the first alive, and then dead robot.

Well, he did say "we [...] chose to end our lives" and not something like "we powered down our cpu's".

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
So, this update, along with previous robo-cult info, leads me to believe that Kat, or some spiritual representation of Kat, will be made to serve as the psychopomp of robot death, which is what Zimmy saw. Did anyone else come to a similar conclusion, or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

red plastic cup posted:

So, this update, along with previous robo-cult info, leads me to believe that Kat, or some spiritual representation of Kat, will be made to serve as the psychopomp of robot death, which is what Zimmy saw. Did anyone else come to a similar conclusion, or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

I did not think of that at all, but it's an interesting angle to take. If enough robots become truly alive and able to interact with the ether, and simultaneously are believers in Robots doctrine, is their belief sufficient to begin to mold Kat to match what is expected of her?

Will she become an Angel of Life and Death whether she likes it or not? Play host to one? Create one? I could see some variant of that happening.

Maybe what Zimmy saw is the embryonic manifestation of just such a thing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The robots are the shadow people of the court.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I had a similar idea about Kat being the Robot psychopomp, but it wasn't yet fully formed. Captain Oblivious' notion that robot belief interacting with the aether might cause this to come to pass was the piece I was missing. Certainly Zimmy's vision of Kat is akin to what I'd expect an angel of robotic life and death to look like.

I'm willing to agree that Robot isn't malevolent, but for me he's certainly creepy and very probably dangerous. The trouble with a powerful belief like his is that it tends to go hand in hand with a certitude that the believer is right, and in matters of faith anyone who isn't in the right is definitely in the wrong. People who are Wrong About The True Faith tend to be made to suffer. Even if Robot himself wouldn't want to do that, any other robot who listens to him speak and is caught up in his passion could easily fall to the path of zealotry.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The important question is how well Paz will handle her girlfriend ascending to Robot Death Goddess-dom.

Actually, Coyote said something about the Court being man's attempt to become god, right? I kinda wonder if we aren't going to see multiple people cross that particular threshold.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
How well will the robots handle Paz being the girlfriend of their Robot Death Goddess?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
For all we know, Paz destroyed that frog leg, though. Kat worked on that thing for months and the moment Paz arrives, it goes haywire. It seems sort of reasonable to attribute this to her. At least she might be identified as the catalyser.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kat is the creator, remember. Paz is the bringer of true peace: a proper death.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

For all we know, Paz destroyed that frog leg, though. Kat worked on that thing for months and the moment Paz arrives, it goes haywire. It seems sort of reasonable to attribute this to her. At least she might be identified as the catalyser.

What? This was the first test that Kat was able to run. There's no reason to think Paz has anything to do with it going up in smoke.

Well, other than by distracting Kat so that she flips the voltage up to max by accident :v:

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Robot and Shadow are totally gonna have a falling out this chapter aren't they? :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No.44 posted:

Robot and Shadow are totally gonna have a falling out this chapter aren't they? :(

Next chapter, maybe. I doubt this chapter's got much left in it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Kat is the creator, remember. Paz is the bringer of true peace: a proper death.

Kat is both. Remember that Robot made a big deal out of her ability to activate as well as deactivate the Old Machines.

Paz is basically irrelevant as far as Robot and the robots are concerned, for now.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kat is both. Remember that Robot made a big deal out of her ability to activate as well as deactivate the Old Machines.

Paz is basically irrelevant as far as Robot and the robots are concerned, for now.
Unless you know, something happens on friday. And I wouldn't put it past Tom.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a bird wing, not a frog leg.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
If Paz CAN talk to animals, as has been hinted at, it would be nuts if a breakthrough were discovered only after one of the creations starts communicating with her before its voice box is even installed.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
I just don't hope that the robots see Paz as an obstacle standing in the way of Kat's ascension to godhood. That would probably end poorly.

Wild speculation time: To make sure that Kat can focus all her attention on ushering the robots into a new era, they conspire to kill Paz. They succeed, but the event traumatizes Kat who goes mad with grief and fully embraces her role as the Robo-Angel of Death, vowing to exterminate all robots.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The court has already had three psychopompic students. Why not a fourth?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So far we've seen many instances of robots removing humans forcibly or even with deadly consequences in Gunnerkrigg court when they get in the way of the robot plans.

Oh wait.

Robot doesn't care at all about Paz. If he does, it's because he thinks she's got a nice haircut.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
You just know Boxbot would go on a murder spree if he wasn't so drat useless. :colbert:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

fatherdog posted:

The court has already had three psychopompic students. Why not a fourth?

Who are the other two besides Annie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ironic Twist posted:

Who are the other two besides Annie?

Surma is one, I should think. The other is Brinnie, she's a Valkyrie.