Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Curtis LeMay would've poo poo the Antichrist and ended the world in a fireball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mike-o posted:

One thing I've always wondered about, did the Soviets ever have any overflights of the mainland US like we did to them with the U-2? Not like the probing flights with Bears, but actual deep penetration reconnaissance flights.

No.

Then you got satellites, and now there's Open Skies.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mike-o posted:

One thing I've always wondered about, did the Soviets ever have any overflights of the mainland US like we did to them with the U-2? Not like the probing flights with Bears, but actual deep penetration reconnaissance flights.

Given that US the US generally had better radar than the Soviets during the time period overflights would have been possible (until the early 1960's) and the Soviets didn't operate equivalents of the B-36, B-47, and RB-57 at the time, I don't think they had aircraft capable of making the overflights without being detected and intercepted.

Aside from the B-36 missions, I believe most US overflights of the Soviet Union were launched from countries relatively close to the USSR (Pakistan and England were fairly common), and since the Soviet Union didn't have allies terribly close to the US mainland (Cuba was probably too closely monitored to work as a base), I don't think they had anything with the range to overfly the lower 48. I believe the Soviets did some overflights of parts of Alaska, and may have operated close to the east coast a couple of times, but I've never heard of them overflying the lower 48.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
What about Western Europe?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Well they pulled off that unmanned strike on Belgium. Come to think of it, the 80s were a weird decade for overflights.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arguably, the Soviets never needed an aerial reconnaissance program, given the porosity of information in the West and the depth of their espionage penetration.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

azflyboy posted:

Given that US the US generally had better radar than the Soviets during the time period overflights would have been possible (until the early 1960's) and the Soviets didn't operate equivalents of the B-36, B-47, and RB-57 at the time, I don't think they had aircraft capable of making the overflights without being detected and intercepted.

Aside from the B-36 missions, I believe most US overflights of the Soviet Union were launched from countries relatively close to the USSR (Pakistan and England were fairly common), and since the Soviet Union didn't have allies terribly close to the US mainland (Cuba was probably too closely monitored to work as a base), I don't think they had anything with the range to overfly the lower 48. I believe the Soviets did some overflights of parts of Alaska, and may have operated close to the east coast a couple of times, but I've never heard of them overflying the lower 48.

The Soviets never really had an aircraft capable of both reaching and penetrating mainland American airspace - the Tsybin RSR was as close as they ever came on that front. As you mentioned, The Soviets were hamstrung by the need to launch from their own territory, which meant you needed a roughly 2500-mile flight before you even get to the mainland United States, to say nothing of getting anywhere interesting to photograph. The Soviets did spend a lot of time and effort, however, flying around the periphery of the United States, often with the ELINT or radar reconnaissance versions of the Bear I mentioned in my last effortpost - these flights were sporadic, but there would be periods where they would fly every few weeks.

Snowdens Secret posted:

What about Western Europe?

No overflights there either. That said, a MiG-25R with an oblique camera could photograph a big chunk of West Germany flying along the border, so you could argue that overflights weren't really even necessary in Western Europe.

Koesj posted:

Well they pulled off that unmanned strike on Belgium. Come to think of it, the 80s were a weird decade for overflights.

I don't know if I would call it that. For those that don't know, in 1989 a MiG-23 experienced a partial engine failure leading to the pilot bailing out. The MiG continued to fly on autopilot, over Poland, East and West Germany, then over the Netherlands before it crashed into a house in Belgium, killing one person.

It certainly was a weird decade for overflights though, I'll give you that much. What with a kid in a Cessna defeating the entire Soviet air defense network and landing in Red Square and all.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

MrChips posted:

I don't know if I would call it that. For those that don't know, in 1989 a MiG-23 experienced a partial engine failure leading to the pilot bailing out. The MiG continued to fly on autopilot, over Poland, East and West Germany, then over the Netherlands before it crashed into a house in Belgium, killing one person.

Yeah well they got the 747 overflying Kamchatka hmm? But I'll stop being flippant about that kinda stuff now.

The MiG crash got wide acknowledgement again last year when Tom Lanoye's Heldere Hemel came out as a free book week gift here in the Netherlands.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

Curtis LeMay would've poo poo the Antichrist and ended the world in a fireball.

What about high altitude recon balloons?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Thanks guys, for the advice regarding Pima. I just got back, and that place is really, really cool. I should have gone there much sooner.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

OptimusMatrix posted:

Have a drone survival guide. Pretty simple but pretty neat. I had no idea how many types of drones we have in service. You can pay for it on aluminum or you can download the pdf for free and print it out yourself.

http://dronesurvivalguide.org/
I like that they think putting aluminum foil on your car will somehow shield you from a Reaper.

It's almost insulting, really. "Oh, those poor ethnics in Pakistan have been living under the shadows of Obama's immoral drone war for over a decade. If only they had a Dutch technocrat to tell them about shiny materials!"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 25, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrChips posted:

It certainly was a weird decade for overflights though, I'll give you that much. What with a kid in a Cessna defeating the entire Soviet air defense network and landing in Red Square and all.

Air And Space did a pretty good article a while back on Rust's little adventure. The amount of coincidences and things lining up just right for him to be able to do what he did is pretty crazy (a healthy dose of late '80s Soviet apathy helped, of course).

Dead Reckoning posted:

I like that they think putting aluminum foil on your car will somehow shield you from a Reaper.

It's almost insulting, really. "Oh, those poor ethnics in Pakistan have been living under the shadows of Obama's immoral drone war for over a decade. If only they had a Dutch technocrat to tell them about shiny materials!"

Uh, OPSEC?

Actually that whole thing is pretty funny, particularly the jamming/spoofing section.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I just read

and it is an excellent, although depressing look at nuclear weapons, cold war times and the related hardware. It mentions a lot about LeMay, the SAC, B-52s, and of course the Titan II missle. After reading this book, I don't know how we haven't had a nuclear weapons accident. The book talks about so many close calls it really is amazing.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I bite my tongue a lot about the melodrama people throw at various systems used for war-waging (eg calling them drones), but man someone has to be a doucher to say their mildly reflective poster evokes techniques used by people to defeat airborne cameras. Also :lol: at the B model hellfire.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 25, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I updated the OP, pray I don't update it further.

Actually if anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to consider and then not implement them due to laziness.

Merry Christmas!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well done Linedance. I take your apology of not having indexed the dirigible posts as a placeholder for when you have indexed the dirigible posts. Because with great threads comes great etc.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think Iran got MiG-25 overflights, which is why they bought the F-14. Or something. The MiG-25 also overflew Israel IIRC, but probably in Egyptian colors rather than the USSR.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ola posted:

Well done Linedance. I take your apology of not having indexed the dirigible posts as a placeholder for when you have indexed the dirigible posts. Because with great threads comes great etc.

Arrr, the guilt! I can't take it anymore! I havn't done the indexes because I have a blog where Achtung Zeppelin is being reposted and I wanted to get this big new spergpost done first

blog: http://horseformer.blogspot.ca/ (all the spergpostin' about machines and history and building small things that you can fuckin' handle)

Achtung Zeppelin complete saga:

Achtung Zeppelin!: I Begginings
Achtung Zeppelin! II: We All Float Up Here
Achtung Zeppelin! III: Achtungier
Achtung Zeppelin! IV: die Nebel des Krieges (the fogs of war)
Achtung Zeppelin V: Die Tage sind Einfach Verpackt (The Days are Just Packed)
Achtung Zeppelin VI: Leidenschaft Brennt die Luftschiff-Flotte (Passion burs the airship fleet)
Achting Zeppelin VII:Luftschiffkapitän Strasser Abenteuer in Wolkenkuckucksheim
Achtung Zeppelin VIII: Higher than you've Ever Been in your Life
Achtung Zeppelin IX: The Sky is a Big Place to Get Lost in
Achtung Zeppelin X: Out of Africa
Achtung Zeppelin XI: You Must be the Anvil or the Hammer
Achtung Zeppelin XII: Sweet Dreams and Flying Machines Lying in Pieces on the Ground

Two other posts of Unusual Size:
The Story of the Fw 200 Part 1
The Story of the Fw 200 Part 2

All of those go to the page but not specifically the post; if you by a Christmas miracle could correct this error please do.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Made a gif from one of agentjayz videos.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 26, 2013

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Boomerjinks posted:

Those pulleys look really flimsy, wouldn't them failing cause some really odd thrust directions?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Boomerjinks posted:

It's like one of those time-lapse films of a flower blooming. Only with more thrust.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

iyaayas01 posted:

Air And Space did a pretty good article a while back on Rust's little adventure. The amount of coincidences and things lining up just right for him to be able to do what he did is pretty crazy (a healthy dose of late '80s Soviet apathy helped, of course).
That was a good read. I remember that when I was around 14 years old. I thought there must have been something else going on there, not just some weird teenager on a self directed mission. It just seemed so absurd, especially that he'd make it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Barnsy posted:

Those pulleys look really flimsy, wouldn't them failing cause some really odd thrust directions?

They're solid pushrods, not cables or anything like that, if I'm remembering the last time I poked at tail feathers correctly. Also, that's a variable nozzle, not a vectoring nozzle, and the individual vanes are all linked together. If you lose nozzle control, you'll have reduced engine performance, but you essentially can't lose individual vanes.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm not too versed in high-performance turbines, that roughly equates to a variable convergence-divergence section, right?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I'm not too versed in high-performance turbines, that roughly equates to a variable convergence-divergence section, right?

Never mind equating to it, that IS your convergent-divergent section.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Engine gifs ITT

drat gifcam doesn't optimize files well at all.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

iyaayas01 posted:

This reminds me of another sneaky flight A&S wrote about. http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/the_quiet_one.html

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Arrr, the guilt! I can't take it anymore! I havn't done the indexes because I have a blog where Achtung Zeppelin is being reposted and I wanted to get this big new spergpost done first

blog: http://horseformer.blogspot.ca/ (all the spergpostin' about machines and history and building small things that you can fuckin' handle)

Achtung Zeppelin complete saga:

Achtung Zeppelin!: I Begginings
Achtung Zeppelin! II: We All Float Up Here
Achtung Zeppelin! III: Achtungier
Achtung Zeppelin! IV: die Nebel des Krieges (the fogs of war)
Achtung Zeppelin V: Die Tage sind Einfach Verpackt (The Days are Just Packed)
Achtung Zeppelin VI: Leidenschaft Brennt die Luftschiff-Flotte (Passion burs the airship fleet)
Achting Zeppelin VII:Luftschiffkapitän Strasser Abenteuer in Wolkenkuckucksheim
Achtung Zeppelin VIII: Higher than you've Ever Been in your Life
Achtung Zeppelin IX: The Sky is a Big Place to Get Lost in
Achtung Zeppelin X: Out of Africa
Achtung Zeppelin XI: You Must be the Anvil or the Hammer
Achtung Zeppelin XII: Sweet Dreams and Flying Machines Lying in Pieces on the Ground

Two other posts of Unusual Size:
The Story of the Fw 200 Part 1
The Story of the Fw 200 Part 2

(Links to individual posts fixed.)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Thought you guys would appreciate this crosspost from the YouTube thread. Horrifyingly musical.

bolind posted:

Our favorite Canadian jet turbine wizard with a short but strong message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Boat posted:

Thought you guys would appreciate this crosspost from the YouTube thread. Horrifyingly musical.

Sounds better than if he did that while it was running :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There is an Il-76 taking off from Los Angeles in just over an hour. I almost want to run up there and photograph it but ugggh, effort, and I just woke up anyway.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The other day I misremembered flight 3701 as a Delta Connection flight and kind of went :stare: when I heard Delta's slogan "keep climbing." :v:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So after reading this thread and getting addicted to A&S mag, I've been itching to get into building models again-I know it's come up in the thread before, so can anyone recommend a good manufacturer of kits? Pretty much starting from scratch, so I don't even know what to look for outside of amazon.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Revell.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Are we talking things that actually fly or not?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ardeem posted:

Are we talking things that actually fly or not?

No. Things you can paint pretty colors and that don't look like dogshit when properly assembled. NYC, so actually building flying ones is pretty far out of my scope.

Figured-they're really cheap so I was worried they'd be garbage. I think I made revell kits before, but I was like 8 so.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Naturally Selected posted:

No. Things you can paint pretty colors and that don't look like dogshit when properly assembled. NYC, so actually building flying ones is pretty far out of my scope.

Figured-they're really cheap so I was worried they'd be garbage. I think I made revell kits before, but I was like 8 so.

I believe there are some Japanese and Euro companies as well. I just know Revell from building their kits as a young holocaust bloopers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Didn't they produce an early SLBM so accurately the Navy got pissed that it actually gave away classified details?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Previa_fun posted:

The other day I misremembered flight 3701 as a Delta Connection flight and kind of went :stare: when I heard Delta's slogan "keep climbing." :v:

Oh, God, I remember that when it happened. One of my college roommates had printed out the flight recorder transcripts, I seem to recall the tower saying something like "I didn't think those things could fly that high." Couple of dopes ruining a perfectly good aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Also Tamiya or Hasegawa.