Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lots of people here say the base game is pretty easy (I die a lot but whatever) but I haven't seen anyone say hero mode is easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Awesome! posted:

Lots of people here say the base game is pretty easy (I die a lot but whatever) but I haven't seen anyone say hero mode is easy.

I would argue that hero mode isn't actually that much harder than the base game, because it's easy to just not get hit at all. Any regular enemy can be stunlocked if you mash the sword button, and most of the bosses move extremely slowly and have very easily read and avoided attacks. Most boss fights also have a wall you can merge with to become temporarily invincible, or a hole you can drop down in a pinch (only does half a heart of damage on both difficulties, generally the better alternative to getting hit). Aside from combat, I only had trouble with one puzzle (the one everyone has trouble with), but I've played every Zelda multiple times, so I might just know how their designers think.

That said, it's still an incredible game despite the low difficulty, and a must-have for anyone with a 3DS. It's probably the best game I played all year.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

qnqnx posted:

I'm getting mixed reviews about Link Between Worlds, some say that it's a must have, others say that it got too easy. Can I have a definitive answer?
How long it is, at that?

Seems to be still busted here.

I personally loved it, but then again I'm a huge sucker for anything LTTP related. It's a refreshing throwback to the 2D top down Zelda games. It is a tad bit on the easy side but Zelda games have always been like that. There's alot of freedom in this game, which is a very freshing change from the handholding/railroading past Zelda games have been. In a way, it's alot like the NES Zelda: Here's a sword, go find the dungeons and get the McGruffins! This game also has the best gimmick I've seen in a Zelda game: The ability to into a painting and merge into the walls, and it's an ability that is used very well, and adds a layer of complexity to puzzles in the game. I wasn't too keen on renting items, it didn't feel right having all the series staples available at the start, but I got over that pretty quickly since it was refreshing to have everything I need so I can just go explore and not worry about having to come back somewhere because I didn't beat dungeon X so I have item Y. All of the items are fun to use and there is an upgrade system that makes them even more awesome. The music also kicks alot of rear end, the remixed overworld themes are amazing. This game and Pokemon were the excuses for me to get the 3DSXL Zelda bundle.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Guess I'm getting Link between Worlds, then. Thanks everyone.

Starhawk64 posted:

I wasn't too keen on renting items, it didn't feel right having all the series staples available at the start, but I got over that pretty quickly since it was refreshing to have everything I need so I can just go explore and not worry about having to come back somewhere because I didn't beat dungeon X so I have item Y. All of the items are fun to use and there is an upgrade system that makes them even more awesome.
Renting was one of the main reasons why I felt like it was getting too easy, but thinking it like that its actually just having more options.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

qnqnx posted:

I'm getting mixed reviews about Link Between Worlds, some say that it's a must have, others say that it got too easy. Can I have a definitive answer?
How long it is, at that?

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. While the game is good and you should at least try it out, I felt that it spent way too long trying to be Link to the Past instead of actually forging its own identity. While the dungeons are all completely new, almost everything else feels like they ripped it right out of Link to the Past and called it a day. The major additions are the painting gimmick (which is masterfully done) and the renting system (which is really cool at first until you realize that despite giving you all of the items from the start of the game, they do absolutely nothing with it). Being able to go to any dungeon at any time is another thing that sounds a lot more interesting than it actually is - for the most part, the dungeon design is the same as usual and they just make you have the dungeon item before you're allowed to enter the temple in the first place. And because any dungeon can be your first, there are absolutely no multi-item puzzles. If you're in the bomb dungeon, every single puzzle is either standalone, or it uses the bombs.

Don't get me wrong, the game is pretty good. But don't go in expecting a mind-blowing experience, especially if you've played LttP recently.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

dang nintendo, I was gonna buy a bunch of games on the eshop but now I've lost the christmas spirit. way to ruin christmas nintendo

for real though why haven't they fixed this yet, I demand answers

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

romanowski posted:

dang nintendo, I was gonna buy a bunch of games on the eshop but now I've lost the christmas spirit. way to ruin christmas nintendo

Didn't Steam also go down in the past day or so? It is sometimes just what happens. A bunch of people getting new consoles or games all going along within 24 hours.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

yeah I know things go down but it's been well over 24 hours now. like come on, that's totally unreasonable.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Artix posted:

And because any dungeon can be your first, there are absolutely no multi-item puzzles. If you're in the bomb dungeon, every single puzzle is either standalone, or it uses the bombs.

I think this is my biggest gripe with ALBW. Why did they even bother giving you access to (nearly) all items from the start if they're not incorporating that into the dungeon design? There is still very clearly one "dungeon item" per dungeon, and all the multi-item puzzles (or rather, two-item puzzles since I can't think of a single three or more item one) are in random one-off caves somewhere that don't even give you any good reward.

I mean, don't get me wrong either, it's a very good game despite that and definitely the best Zelda game since at least Wind Waker, but they could have done so much more with the item renting thing.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm kind of thinking that ALBW is sort of a test run for these ideas and they'll be more ambitious with them in Zelda U. they did say at some point that ideas from ALBW would be implemented in Zelda U so they'll most likely go even further with them. well I hope, anyway

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have never played A Link to the Past (despite having a Zelda tat), but I thought LBW was amazing. Between it and the new Phoenix Wright, I've learned to love the 3DS all over again.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I received Luigi's Mansion for Christmas, I can't believe how much charm this game oozes! Luigi is so scared but he's still reluctantly willing to help :3:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Karthe posted:

I received Luigi's Mansion for Christmas, I can't believe how much charm this game oozes! Luigi is so scared but he's still reluctantly willing to help :3:

The animations in that game are really something else. There's like a million different faces Luigi has when he's scared shitless.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Geirskogul posted:

I have never played A Link to the Past (despite having a Zelda tat), but I thought LBW was amazing. Between it and the new Phoenix Wright, I've learned to love the 3DS all over again.

I haven't played Phoenix Wright since, like, the first one and I was in high school then. Is it worth just picking up the new one?

I'm also thinking about picking up Streets of Rage 3D, is it a decent port? Is there internet co-op?

(Of course none of this matters until the eShop comes back online..)

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

explosivo posted:

I haven't played Phoenix Wright since, like, the first one and I was in high school then. Is it worth just picking up the new one?

No, play all of them in order. Its worth it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Finished ALBW today and it was incredible.

Started on ET IV, and so far my biggest obstacle is coming up with original names for everything because I am not a clever person. I only say this now because the game hasn't forced me to bend over yet.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

explosivo posted:

I played the new one without having played any of the previous games and it's easily my favourite game this year.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
The hard part for me in EO:U is deciding who to put in my party.

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Is anyone actually able to get in to the store?

I actually got on last night, however it took forever to load/login into the Eshop. It is still pretty unstable and I don't want to risk anything with system transfer for now.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

romanowski posted:

I'm kind of thinking that ALBW is sort of a test run for these ideas and they'll be more ambitious with them in Zelda U. they did say at some point that ideas from ALBW would be implemented in Zelda U so they'll most likely go even further with them. well I hope, anyway

I like ALBW but when Nintendo says stuff like that I think they always mean it more in the sense that ALBW will influence the next Zelda games the way "NEW Super Mario Bros!" influenced the next decade of Mario games.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

romanowski posted:

What happened was that they released Pokebank in Japan. Their servers were already under heavy load from people registering new accounts on gift systems/buying presents on the eShop when suddenly there was an influx of potentially several million Pokemon players all trying to get to the shop at the same time. Nintendo has responded by pulling Pokebank from the eShop and delaying its release until further notice, so their servers should stabilize once word spreads and people trying to rush the eShop all at once.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Steam also go down in the past day or so? It is sometimes just what happens. A bunch of people getting new consoles or games all going along within 24 hours.

And if you're trying to convince people as a whole that downloadable/cloud media is the primrose path, yesterday was #1 worst out of 365 days of the year to let people down. How many of us couldn't play our NES or Genesis or PS on Christmas day when we got one as kids? That ruins the whole day, and now as adults we're off to work the next day with a dud for a Christmas gift.

Myself and millions more will never trust a product like this as a Christmas gift again.

Nintendo probably did more damage to themselves selling the bundles with download-only games than they saved by not just including the loving physical media.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

explosivo posted:

I'm also thinking about picking up Streets of Rage 3D, is it a decent port? Is there internet co-op?

Port is spot on and it looks really nice in 3D but there's only local co-op as far as I'm aware.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Trying to figure out how to handle the Nintendo ID stuff. My wife and I both have a 3DS, she has a few digital games on hers and I have a few digital games on mine. We haven't gone through the ID setup process on either machine. We also got a Wii U that hasn't been unboxed yet.

Should we use the same ID on all three machines? Will this allow us to play games bought on the eShop on both 3DSs without paying twice? If we do use the same ID on both 3DSs will this make us show up as the same person on others' friend lists?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

explosivo posted:

You can enjoy Dual Destinies without having played the other ones, yeah. The logic is more intuitive than the previous games, and overall I thought it was by far the best in the series.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
(bad post)

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Sakurazuka posted:

Port is spot on and it looks really nice in 3D but there's only local co-op as far as I'm aware.

Is the local co op download play?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mattavist posted:

Trying to figure out how to handle the Nintendo ID stuff. My wife and I both have a 3DS, she has a few digital games on hers and I have a few digital games on mine. We haven't gone through the ID setup process on either machine. We also got a Wii U that hasn't been unboxed yet.

Should we use the same ID on all three machines? Will this allow us to play games bought on the eShop on both 3DSs without paying twice? If we do use the same ID on both 3DSs will this make us show up as the same person on others' friend lists?

A Nintendo ID can only be assigned to one 3DS and one Wii U.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

poonchasta posted:

Is the local co op download play?

No both people need copies of the game (which was really disappointing to me but oh well)

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This game will be discounted in about ~12 hours, too, but who knows if you'll actually be able to access the eShop by then.

Is this true? I'm contemplating between Steamworld Dig, the Mighty Switch Force games, or Mutant Mudds and I can't decide.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Fryhtaning posted:

And if you're trying to convince people as a whole that downloadable/cloud media is the primrose path, yesterday was #1 worst out of 365 days of the year to let people down. How many of us couldn't play our NES or Genesis or PS on Christmas day when we got one as kids? That ruins the whole day, and now as adults we're off to work the next day with a dud for a Christmas gift.

Myself and millions more will never trust a product like this as a Christmas gift again.

Nintendo probably did more damage to themselves selling the bundles with download-only games than they saved by not just including the loving physical media.

...really?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

It sucks that the store is down but I am guessing most people probably just think "Oh I guess the servers are busy because it's Christmas" instead of swearing off downloadable media forever

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I couldn't play my NES or Genesis or whatever as a kid because my parents always loaded us into the car and made us go to Grandma's house. PSN and Nintendo Network being down made it feel like I'm a kid again!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I got my PS1, my parents didn't know the box didn't come with an RF adapter and we didn't own a TV with RCA input at the time. We rode around the next day fighting crowds but didn't find one until the next week. My copy of Gran Turismo just sat there so sad.

I remember being pretty annoyed by it, but not nearly as much as my step-dad. He threatened to buy a new TV the day after Christmas so I could play it, but I told him it was OK. It was hard to be super upset by it when I saw them working so hard to make it better.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It sucks that the store is down but I am guessing most people probably just think "Oh I guess the servers are busy because it's Christmas" instead of swearing off downloadable media forever

I'm a big supporter of Steam and downloadable media as a whole. But if there's one day to NOT gently caress up if that is your business model, it's the day a large percentage of people are relying on that experience to be enjoyable and having the stage set for future dates. Why would anyone give someone a Christmas gift that relies on reliable servers after yesterday? It's just going to leave a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths.

And it's not just "busy"; it has been dead in the water for 36 hours with no end in sight.

Huxley posted:

I remember being pretty annoyed by it, but not nearly as much as my step-dad. He threatened to buy a new TV the day after Christmas so I could play it, but I told him it was OK. It was hard to be super upset by it when I saw them working so hard to make it better.

Yeah, my wife has been affected more than me since it was her Big Gift to me this year.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 26, 2013

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I wonder how much of this online problem is related to the Nintendo ID thing they implemented recently? I'm guessing that required a lot of back-end changes to merge accounts and ownership of content.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah my experience with the NNID system so far has been nothing but a pain in the rear end.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Well, both Steam and Nintendo just made stupid decisions that DDOSed their own servers. They could have done their l4d2 and pokebank launches a week away from Xmas in either direction.

The good thing is it's unlikely they will do something this stupid again. There are some pissed off Ops managers post morteming the poo poo out of this the first day back in the office.

Not sure what took down PSN.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 26, 2013

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Holy crap, you guys, just buy cartridges if you're going to have that much blood pressure over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bean posted:

Holy crap, you guys, just buy cartridges if you're going to have that much blood pressure over it.

Loads of people got the Zelda XL bundle for Christmas, and you have to access the eshop to get it. And for others, like the one who wanted to download Phoenix Wright, well, it's only available through the eshop.

• Locked thread