Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Bimmi posted:

I could probably do this from memory, but it would be one loooong rear end post.

Some of those old kits are still surprisingly okay but there's no question that both the state of the art and changing tastes have left them pretty far behind.

VVV edit: it's amazing how much better some of these things look without the goofy colors.

I had the old Johnny Ridden Zaku from the 80's I found in a comic shop a couple years ago.

Kits have come a long way. Thank god for polycaps and snap fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

AzMiLion posted:

Best i can do is a gray scale one based on the imagery on the wiki, Any particular colors you have in mind for it?

THe right ones the base image I painted off of, just gave it my own interpretation

That's pretty good, thanks! I can work with that. I think I was going to go for shades of purple or something. Maybe darker bluish purple on the main parts while using a pale reddish one where the white is.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Have any of you guys build the 1/144 Hydra Gundam? Saw some pics of a custom build on GundamGuy and thought it looked neat. I'm not yet quite clear on what the kit itself is like.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BizarroAzrael posted:

Have any of you guys build the 1/144 Hydra Gundam? Saw some pics of a custom build on GundamGuy and thought it looked neat. I'm not yet quite clear on what the kit itself is like.

It's typical mid-'90s fake-HG shite. Cool design, deserves a much better kit.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Balls, maybe I'll use it for parts to add to an HG frame.

Edit: so I understand, what are the kit's failings compared to an HG? What would it take to turn it into something like this? Annoying it's not on Dalong so I can see the manual and get an idea of how it goes together.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 23, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Welp, the Ex-S came in today with the Sazabi tomorrow. Holy Christ this thing is bigger than I expected.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BizarroAzrael posted:

so I understand, what are the kit's failings compared to an HG?

lovely parts separation, poor articulation, and iffy engineering.

quote:

What would it take to turn it into something like this?

Paint. Notice how the model never does anything more extravagant than kind of hunching its legs (on an action base); that's because it literally can't do anything more.

quote:

Annoying it's not on Dalong so I can see the manual and get an idea of how it goes together.

Check out an SD kit manual, they're about on the same level.

EDIT: If you think it's cool, you might as well get it. All being a 1/144 mean is having to put in a lot more work into painting all the missing colors and removing seams, work you wouldn't have to do on a HG. The articulation is worse than your average HG, but that doesn't mean it can't strike nifty poses.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 23, 2013

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
My PG Red Frame came today, which means I now have that and the Sazabi v.Kai to work on over the holiday. Plus whatever my girlfriend got me for Christmas. The funny thing is that the Red Frame's box isn't actually all that much bigger than the Sazabi's.

Speaking of the Red Frame, it came with a little color manual thing that has a genealogical chart of all the different Strike variations. Is there something similar to that on the internet for the various UC suits? A flowchart of Zeon grunt suits would be awesome to look at (and use as a shopping list :v: ).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: If you think it's cool, you might as well get it. All being a 1/144 mean is having to put in a lot more work into painting all the missing colors and removing seams, work you wouldn't have to do on a HG. The articulation is worse than your average HG, but that doesn't mean it can't strike nifty poses.

For 800y/£5 I may as well get it for the parts, I found a fairly complete gallery of shots of the kit and it definitely has aesthetic problems. I saw some neat pictures of the shoulders and skirt (so the cool bits) on an Astray, so a conversion should work. Would want to remove the unsightly peg and sockets joining two halves of the larger skirt pieces though.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Jezus, the Fenice is sold out everywhere or hilariously overpriced. Didn't expect it to be that popular of a model. Any goons got tips on good euro sites that aren't listed in the OP?

E:Nevermind, the problem got resolved by the spirit of christmas apparently.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 24, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/10/mg-1100-gundam-x-new-images-updated.html#more

I can't conveniently post images on my tablet, but here's the boxart for MG Gundam X. :)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You know I really want to be excited at that, but I'm just appalled that someone managed to gently caress up "GX firing the satellite cannon at the viewer".

Point the barrel right at us, not to some unspecified point in the sky! :argh: It looks like the GX is doing some overkill version of waving your gun in air while firing it. At least Leopard and Airmaster are there I guess... even if G-bits would have been way more appropriate.

EDIT: Like a minute into Gundam X you get a glimpse of what the shot should have looked like:

I guess they wanted to show off the cannon, but then they probably should have skewed the angle of the shot a bit like with the Proto Zero. Or hell, just tilted the angle of the GX's head so it was in line with the cannon. Anything other than :downsgun:.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 26, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Robot4Less' New Year Sale is going on, 25% off orders with the proper coupon code. Part of me is considering taking the plunge and finally buying the PG Strike...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well cool wish I knew that before I just bought some poo poo on hobbywave. Whatever, it was only a few things anyway.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TARDISman posted:

Robot4Less' New Year Sale is going on, 25% off orders with the proper coupon code. Part of me is considering taking the plunge and finally buying the PG Strike...

i just compared prices with a lot of hobbywaves stuff. Hobbywave is still cheaper after the 25% off from Robot4Less

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Also, it looks like Robot4Less only accepts payment by bank wire transfer :psyduck: I don't even know how to do that outside of Western Union, but that'd probably get flagged by my bank as suspicious activity :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Also, it looks like Robot4Less only accepts payment by bank wire transfer :psyduck: I don't even know how to do that outside of Western Union, but that'd probably get flagged by my bank as suspicious activity :v:

Unless something really drastic happened in the last month or so they still take credit cards.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

Unless something really drastic happened in the last month or so they still take credit cards.

Oh. I just looked up their shipping rates / payment policies and that's what it said on the page. That's good I guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Oh. I just looked up their shipping rates / payment policies and that's what it said on the page. That's good I guess.

From looking at that page it appears wire transfers are the only payment they accept for international orders; USA domestic you should be good with a credit card and I think paypal. International you probably may as well get HLJ or amiami, I doubt R4L is price competitive when they ship outside the USA.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Be very careful with the B plates, that's about all the advice I can give. Oh and seriously don't try to put all the decals on.

Incidentally, turns out all western parts-ordering services were shut down because Bandai's planning on creating a web-based one next January. It remains to be seen if it'll be available to people out of Japan, but even if it isn't they'll probably be fine with resellers opening business again afterwards.

I realise I'm replying to a two-week old post, but is there any source for this information? I'm currently short some small parts from a couple of my kits, mostly due to a combination of clumsiness and not checking what was left on the runners before I discarded them, and I'm really hoping to be able to fix them some day.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BEARGGUY-san complete!

Ill see about getting some better pictures up later.

This is my first HG build since those terrible US release wing kits.
Im really impressed by the build quality. It has 2 different kinds of polycap materials and I counted 3 different plastics. The frame is a harder plastic compared to the softer yellow pieces. The bow on the back is a soft rubber. The model as a whole hides the sprue marks very well, I barely sanded anything.
The manual was very concise, I never had to double check what I was doing.

I noticed some light swirls in the plastic leading me to believe the pigment wasnt fully mixed. I dont know if this is common or just in my batch. I dont care since i will be painting it.
Lots of leftover pieces including the head plates from the Acguy
7/10

If i can expect this quality I may switch off MGs

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You should get the HGAC Wing Gundam, and prepare to have your mind blown by how much better it is over its 90's version.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TaurusOxford posted:

You should get the HGAC Wing Gundam, and prepare to have your mind blown by how much better it is over its 90's version.

I actually just got the HGAC Wing for my 11 year old nephew for christmas, because he seemed pretty interested when I was building a Gerbera Tetra over the summer and he loves the poo poo out of legos, so it seemed like a logical step. I'm not entirely sure if its going to blow his mind with the number of parts or not.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quantumavenger posted:

I realise I'm replying to a two-week old post, but is there any source for this information?

A friend of mine got that as a response when he queried... I think HLJ about the situation.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Fauxtool posted:

BEARGGUY-san complete!

Ill see about getting some better pictures up later.

This is my first HG build since those terrible US release wing kits.
Im really impressed by the build quality. It has 2 different kinds of polycap materials and I counted 3 different plastics. The frame is a harder plastic compared to the softer yellow pieces. The bow on the back is a soft rubber. The model as a whole hides the sprue marks very well, I barely sanded anything.
The manual was very concise, I never had to double check what I was doing.

I noticed some light swirls in the plastic leading me to believe the pigment wasnt fully mixed. I dont know if this is common or just in my batch. I dont care since i will be painting it.
Lots of leftover pieces including the head plates from the Acguy
7/10

If i can expect this quality I may switch off MGs

It looks good but really what I'd like to hear is your rating of the dog. How's the build quality on that?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

It looks good but really what I'd like to hear is your rating of the dog. How's the build quality on that?

Does it have the Fighting Action frame?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

It looks a bit small to be a Master Grade. Is it a High Grade or a Real Grade?

Fauxtool posted:

BEARGGUY-san complete!

Just out of curiosity, what's the deal with the faceplates on those? Do you just pick a set of eye stickers and be done with it, or does it have multiple detachable faceplates with sticker grooves for several expressions?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

What about a core fighter? Does that dog have a core fighter? In the show that model had one, but the last dog Bandai released didn't have one.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Muffinlord posted:

2/10 random kit bash of several dogs, constantly leaking fluids.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It looks a bit small to be a Master Grade. Is it a High Grade or a Real Grade?

Just out of curiosity, what's the deal with the faceplates on those? Do you just pick a set of eye stickers and be done with it, or does it have multiple detachable faceplates with sticker grooves for several expressions?

It comes with 2 faceplates and 12 sets of eyes. The face plates are grooved for 3 of the eyes

I paid extra for the hobbyshop exclusive Full Armor version. Like every FA kit, all the pieces fly off as soon as you turn your back

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 27, 2013

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
So I ordered my first gunpla (HG Build Gundam Mk2) today, along with the Tamiya basic tools set.

The tools will arrive about a week after the kit does. How bad would the kit look if I put it together before getting the tools? I'm mostly concerned about not having snips.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It'll look pretty bad. If you have a hobby knife on hand you can at least twist the parts off the runners and trim the nubs a bit, but there's really no replacement for a good pair of cutters.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 27, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I want to meet the person who built that and then took a picture of it to put on the internet.

When they announced Gunpla Builders, my first thought was that I wanted that thing to show up. They better do something like it in Build Fighters, but they probably think it might scare potential buyers away...

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Well that looks abysmal. Guess I'll just look at the box! :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

you can at least twist the parts off the runners and trim the nubs a bit

Don't do this. Besides looking like cold poo poo you run the risk of breaking a small or oddly shaped part outright. Wait for the nippers to come in.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

It'll look pretty bad. If you have a hobby knife on hand you can at least twist the parts off the runners and trim the nubs a bit, but there's really no replacement for a good pair of cutters.

Gotta love the Blue Horror.

So the Sazabi and Ex-S builds begin next week. I'm really excited for both.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 28, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hey azmilion can I ask what you used to edit that clanche lineart for me? I need to do some tinkering and it's pretty apparent I'm a massive retard and can't do much with paint.net or, worse, mspaint

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

muike posted:

Hey azmilion can I ask what you used to edit that clanche lineart for me? I need to do some tinkering and it's pretty apparent I'm a massive retard and can't do much with paint.net or, worse, mspaint

Paint.net actually. using layers and filters a bunch. If you give me the colours you want in RGB or something i can paint it up for ya.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I appreciate that offer but I should probably figure it out myself. Having the parts in front of me means I need to try futzing around with altering what parts are colored compared to surrounding parts and whatnot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

I paid extra for the hobbyshop exclusive Full Armor version. Like every FA kit, all the pieces fly off as soon as you turn your back
I think I'll wait for the Destroy Mode next Spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Fauxtool posted:

2/10 random kit bash of several dogs, constantly leaking fluids.

It comes with 2 faceplates and 12 sets of eyes. The face plates are grooved for 3 of the eyes

You're doing god's work here, son.

Do they have plans for any Master Grade stuff from Build Fighters? How does that usually work, do they just throw out HG models first and see what sticks, then upscale, or what?

• Locked thread