Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Pretty much every subforum has one, so why don't we do our resolutions with an AI twist?

2014 is a great year to learn to drive stick, to volunteer your services at chumpcar, to buy a(nother) Miata (or Volvo 240, M3, etc, etc). You might want to head out east and get drunk (and/or felt up) with the #neai denziens, or go far west and tear it up in Death Valley, or just gamble your savings away.

I'm going to throw this out there for myself:
  • Get required surgeries and therapy so I can return to some form of work.
  • Get away from my comfortable slushbox - get another manual for DD purposes. (See first bullet point)
  • I need more garage. Considering extending through the back yard or a 3 holer standalone behind the RV pull.
  • Less shitposting.

What are your AI resolution for 2014?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Spend less on ca.... ahahahahahahahah

Finish the New England Forest Rally again this year and be more competitive on coilovers instead of blowing up suspension after 40 miles.

Move forward with building a house/shop.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
buy another bus.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
1) Actually get some work done on any of the cars.
2) Specifically get some work done on the '86 Celica, it's been almost 3 years since I drove it.
3) Try to be a more upbeat person; mostly this is for my daughter, nobody should grow up with a grump for a dad.
4) Start a project thread and actually stick with it instead of letting it die after 2 posts. (possible tie-in with resolution number 2?)

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 1, 2014

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Exercise some more. Maybe get into a bit of detailing stuff. Put some data acq in the RX-8.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Buy another aw11, get rid of my e30 and celica alltrac.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
Actually "finish" my stupid volksrod.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
Stop buying so many videogames and comic books so that I can throw every last dollar at my Cutlass in order to get the drat thing done at some point.

Also learn how to drive stick, which is kind of important as the Cutlass is being converted to manual.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mazda2:
- Polish and seal it
- Oil change
- Maybe transaxle?

Miata:
- Retune
- A/B/C testing on different air intakes
- 225/45R15 Rivals
- Redo seats
- BBK
- AIM Solo

Misc:
- Look into getting a tow vehicle
- Look into slicks
- Try to do a bunch of Chump Car races

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I would like to buy a house garage with attached living space by the end of 2014 but depending on how things go starting the search for a house by the end of 2014 might be more realistic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Finish the Audi, roll cage it, and finally race it.

And, and this is a big MAYBE, install the 20v head and pistons and turbocharger....once I get money to do so.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 1, 2014

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Bmw:
-Do my best to keep it my most reliable and stock mode of transportation.
-Hope not to anger the gods of German engineering.
-Fix that noisy window regulator

Truck:
-Finish assembling impractical engine and swap it in and all the things that come with that.
-Power front disc swap from '74 donor I just picked up.
-Hope the rest of the drivetrain stands up to the new engine.
-Get a tow hitch and brake controller so it can properly tow \/ \/
-Make a project thread to keep pushing me to work on it.

Lemons Camaro:
-C5 front disc swap
-New muffler that won't get us kicked off the track
-Find out why one cylinder is down on compression
-Race the hell out of it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Sell my manual Cherokee to SAABOY.

Get Goliath back online with Charon Boosters upgrades.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Buy an impractical daily driver.
Get the IH pickup sitting level with fresh springs.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Run a 10 second quarter mile finally.
Take it to a real track like PIR.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Get some kind of 4x4 because with no more race track everyone I know is wheelin' now and I'm kinda missing out. (yeah "cause everyone else is doing it" is a bad reason to do something, but it's also something I've been meaning to do for years, and when all your petrolhead friends switch disciplines it kind of impacts your social life a bit)
Buy this shithole condo I'm renting so I can work up enough equity to get a garage (with detached house)
Aaaand figure out what the hell to do with my half-finished track car.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 1, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Buy more cars.
Stop buying rusty ones.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Career switch (have an interview for a paid internship next week).

Move back to my favorite city if internship turns into job.

Buy a house if I'm happy at said job.

Buy Miata or MR2 Spyder.

Take a performance driving class at PIR.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Get the loving Protege on the road again.

Get a job that doesn't give me nightmares about work/want to kill myself/treat me like subhuman filth (I am but that's beside the point).

Finish the goddamn automotive degree I started in 2009 that's been dragged out waaay longer than necessary.

Maybe, if I get a civilized job that gives me a decent paycheck while somehow leaving Saturdays open, start autocrossing (contingent on the 1st).

Murder my depression somehow and go back to the gym so I can be under 300lbs again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

-Finally fix the subaru
-Learn to paint well
-Paint everything.
-buy a classic japanese or german car
-Actually sell a car i buy with the intention of selling.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Buy/rent a place with a garage. Apartment wrenching blows.

In that regard, I need something to wrench on that is not my GF's Avalon. I just bought my Civc in July. I want a P71 or a Cherokee or an E30 or a mid 90's Ford Powerstroke. Or all of the above.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
NY resolutions are GBS 2.1 kinda dumb (PERSONAL OPINION!!!)

That said - wouldnt mind getting that H6 and begin stuffing it into the WRX. That takes a back seat to doing an Ironman later in the year. That's going to take a LOT of time to train for, esp in that I cant run for poo poo. (Cycling and swimming, got that nailed)

Plus spending lots of money of cycling. Good bikes and wheels are expensive!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Car plans? Basic maintenance, re-do the stereo (factory is drat good for a compact car, but it could always be improved), and do a refresh of bushings and motor mounts.
e: might drop it a little, but that's pretty low on the list.

Non-AI: Start biking again, drop ~25 lbs, get a real job, get a boyfriend. Not necessarily in that order.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 1, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I really want to get the g35 to 400 rwhp by the end of the year. Thats not a huge goal, but it's something. I'm also going to get off my rear end and get down to the Corvette museum and take tons of pictures and make a thread. I also want to get a project car of some sort started this year.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Finish the XKE, pick up an ATS-V if available this year, sell the Typhoon and Solstice.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Build an Exocet with a turbo v8 from the truck
Repower the truck with supra parts
Put the powertrain from the STi in the outback
Finish the STi track build
Probably sell the cop car
Pay off the remainder of the motorcycle

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Ride Ducati
Chase girls who like Ducati's
Drive WRC car
Put anti lag in VR4
New motor in the CHU

Ride Ducati

Race lots

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
- sell the van, and all 3 of the volvos
- get my wife something with AC for the new baby
- do something about the absurd pile of parts in my garage that no one wants
- weber swap and general cosmetic fixin' up of the honda

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
-Sell golf and find another e30/e36 daily driver
-Win my class at 2014 canadian autoX nationals
-Move into a place with a garage/carport (already in the works, just enough room to park my m3)
-Do more trackdays

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
  • Fix all of the nagging issues on the Celica.
  • Finally buy a car with more than four cylinders.
  • Teach my wife to drive a stickshift.
  • Waste less time arguing with people on Autoblog.
  • Paint the garage.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Miata:
- Retune
- A/B/C testing on different air intakes
- 225/45R15 Rivals
- Redo seats
- BBK
- AIM Solo

Rivals over RS3's? Around here it seems like everyone who went rivals in 225/45/15's on 9" wheels switched back to RS3's. What's your experience been?

My plans:

- Make a side mount for the seat in the miata.
- 15x9 6UL's with 225/45/15's either Rivals or RS3's.
- Do more track days.
- Carbotech AX6's for brake pads. Drove a friends miata with them on, loved the feel.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Leroy Diplowski posted:

- do something about the absurd pile of parts in my garage that no one wants

Tell me more about this absurd pile of parts, I need an absurd pile of parts for my 240s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
1. See how long I can go without buying a car this year.
2. Buy another car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Tell me more about this absurd pile of parts, I need an absurd pile of parts for my 240s.

Yeah, let me know what you have.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TrueChaos posted:

Rivals over RS3's? Around here it seems like everyone who went rivals in 225/45/15's on 9" wheels switched back to RS3's. What's your experience been?

The R-S3s are a decent tire that's excellent in cornering, but it has pretty awful braking performance and it doesn't communicate well with any sort of slip angle. It's a really easy tire to control, but unless if you know beforehand that it isn't going to make any noise before you're sliding, it's unsettling. The Rivals act more like an R-comp and are only slightly slower than something like an NT-01. All of the summer tires are really good, but the R-S3 has a weird sweetspot and I want something that's better under braking.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
1. Organize garage for NEAI garage-warming. :gooncamp:

2.Jeep stuff:
-Actually assemble the bumper for my YJ.
-Install ZJ rear brakes and replace the lines.
-Find a 4.0L donor to replace this one before all the knocks come out.
-Save money for a new flatty because I don't make enough horrible decisions with my money.

3.Suzuki stuff:
-Swap in new front axle.
-Try to find a rear 3rd member with 4.88 gears for cheap.
-Keep an eye open for a rusted to poo poo Grand Vitara parts vehicle.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

The R-S3s are a decent tire that's excellent in cornering, but it has pretty awful braking performance and it doesn't communicate well with any sort of slip angle. It's a really easy tire to control, but unless if you know beforehand that it isn't going to make any noise before you're sliding, it's unsettling. The Rivals act more like an R-comp and are only slightly slower than something like an NT-01. All of the summer tires are really good, but the R-S3 has a weird sweetspot and I want something that's better under braking.

That makes sense, I was on rivals this year and was impressed with how they reacted under braking and found them really communicative at the limit. I've only had a few runs on other peoples miata's on RS3 so I don't really have a good comparison between the two. I may run RS3's because I can flip them on the rim, and I know I'm going to wear the outer shoulders a lot faster.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

This year I need to make the 100-ocean-mile and 600-road-mile each way expedition to go get GIR. I haven't even SEEN it in person for almost five years.

I need to paint the garage floor. If I could pain the shop floor, too, that would be amazing - but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The B2600i has had a stutter for exactly a year. Now that we have a new car and I can take the time to wrench, I need to figure out what the hell it is and fix it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

1. See how long I can go without buying a car this year.
2. Buy another car.

Welp, might break those tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The biggest thing for me is get some enthusiasm back into my car life. I've been sitting on the sidelines after the Lotus passed and I need to get back into it. Work is stable, I just moved to a new place, and I can finally focus on getting back to things that, from an automotive perspective, make me happy. It will probably look something like this:

1. Consolidate the fleet down to one car.
2. Empty wallet.
3. Start doing track days again.

I just moved to Colorado so the Boxster Spyder has to go. I also bought a 2004 545i with a 6-speed last year that I want to sell. If I'm going to force myself to have one car, it's not going to be a lazy German highway cruiser.

Since Colorado actually gets all four seasons I'm looking at something turbocharged and AWD. The two main contenders are an Audi TT RS and a 997.1 Turbo. Given the warranty and 15k price difference, I'm favoring the Audi at the moment.

• Locked thread