Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sieversii

"What an adorable creature." It's entirely unclear if she's talking about the displacer kitten or the orc.

"I really would prefer to sleep in a tree if it's all the same to the rest of you. The joys of living in a hole in the ground notwithstanding, it's much more comfortable. So if we're going to pick a cave for the rest of us I'll sleep in the nearest of the talls." So saying, she heads towards the 'caves', examining the trees along the way looking for one large enough to hold her overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Szandra

"I am not resting in a cave with a displacer beast kitten at the entrance. If it's all the same to you, I can take a perch on a nearby tree."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
In the mountainous foothills...
Sieversii begins to search for an appropriate tree to use as a refuge for the evening, and comes up with no real 'close' options. The jungle gives way to hills and rocky ledges rather suddenly in the nearby area, and it is only a bit further in that the barely-there alcoves in the rock walls give way to what one could technically define as a cave. However, Sieversii knows that at least some of her defensive capabilities - such as her ability to manipulate plants into an entangling mess - have an exceptional range of about six hundred and forty feet, so even at a distance she would be able to partially assist any cave-dwellers if something were to go awry.

After exploring a number of trees to assess their visibility, the dryad identifies an area that has a good line of sight to the cave in the distance, approximately six hundred feet away (when measured at ground level). The view around the cave entrance is partially concealed by a rock overhang and series of hills that might make it possible for a creature to sneak into the area unnoticed from the vantage point in the tree, but with careful attention paid to the area that risk could likely be mitigated.

pre:
Distance from trees to cave:  604 feet
Tree height:  95 feet
Visibility of cave from trees:  57%
Meanwhile, the displacer kitten attaches one of its suction-cup tentacles to the back of Skullguy's head, and playfully uses that to swing from his left shoulder to his right forearm, crawling up it excitedly. It is largely unclear if the creature recognizes Skullguy as a friend, or as some kind of mobile cat tree. Maybe a little bit of both.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zoka

"This is where I point out that the entire point of choosing a cave is so that we have a clearly defined entrance/exit point so that nothing can sneak up on us, and so as to provide a chokepoint. Instead, you're not only advocating we split up, but go hang out in trees that the predatory big magical cats can likely climb significantly better than you can. Ones that, if this one's features grow proportionately as it gets larger, have tentacles to knock you out of said tree with from a significant distance away. And do it while surrounding you as well. Need I mention that unicorns aren't exactly renowned for their climbing prowess either, so Uru'vi would either have to use the cave or just snooze in an open field?" Diplomacy forgotten in the string of "interesting" comments and decisions being made recently, Zoka acidly commented on the suggestion to go climb trees.

He didn't even feel pointing out the fact that the distance between the cave and trees made support between the two spotty at best was even necessary, as suggesting hiding from magical six-legged cats in trees was already ridiculous.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Szandra

"Yes, and you're talking like we'd be able to fight off a pack. Do you know how dangerous they are? A single cat, perhaps, but a pack would tear us to shreds. A cave only serves to close off escape."

There's a pause, and what almost sounds like a huff.
"I admit the distance between the treeline and the cave is a bit much. My duty as the ostensible guard takes precedence, so I will go to the cave as well. But I will not take a post between the kitten and the entrance."

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sieversii

Without a word she walks into the tree, then a moment later walks out.

"I'll be sleeping inside the tree. I'm not terribly worried about the local wildlife knocking me out of it. Sleep in the cave, I will be near enough to hear if trouble arises, and quite a surprise should it come to that for anyone assaulting you."

Dryad's have a SQ - Tree Meld, so I'll be doing that in preference to sleeping exposed, while in the tree I can still hear as normal, but would have to stick my face out to look at things.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

Skullguy trundles to the mouth of the cave. He pulls a bedroll out of his witch's kit, lays down on it, and uses his Sleep hex on himself to give himself 3 rounds of magical sleep, hoping it will ease him into a good night's rest.

will save against own hex: 1d20+1 12

He fails his save, ensuring he gets at least 18 seconds of sleep tonight.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zoka, Uru'vi, and Szandra...
As the group debates the proper course of action with varying degrees of acidity in their tone, Skullguy decides to lead by example and begins to march into the cave that had been proposed as one possible location in which to rest. Several hundred feet from the tree line, Skullguy scrambles over rocks and shrubbery with barely a care in the world, with his new 'friend' still climbing about him in a relatively inquisitive way. As the orc ascends the ten-foot slope of rock that leads into the cave entrance and disappears from the view of those who remained behind, one can't help but wonder whether the orc tribe is aware just how wise their leader is, and how lucky they are to have him.

Inside a cave...
Skullguy...
You step foot into the cave and promptly lay down your bedroll. The entrance to the cave is relatively unexciting, and the limits of your darkvision do not reveal any apparent dangers. Your kitten friend, likewise, appears to be rather calm and collected with the change of scenery. As you infuse yourself with the power of your hex, and pull the covers of your bedroll up to keep you warm during your nap, your last thoughts are of the kitten perched atop your stomach, affectionately kneading its claws in your clothing.

Literally inside a tree.
Sieversii...
While inside, you note that the interior of the tree is more than wide enough to house your form, and provides ample vantage points to oversee the general area throughout the course of the night. You are confident that you will be safe inside the tree from all but the most perceptive of assailants, although you can't necessarily say the same for the other members of the group. Still, your entangling abilities are far more reliable in the overgrowth of the jungle, and would require significantly more creativity to function effectively near the cave, and a fair deal of luck within the cave, so from your perspective staying as near to the jungle as possible remains the obviously superior choice from a defensive perspective. The others do have a point about angry jungle cats, though, so perhaps there is merit to everybody's opinion.

pre:
Those other than Skullguy may wish to be clear as to what they are doing while he takes his nap.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 9, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uru'vi

"Can we simply leave the orc? Distasteful as it is, I would be capable of carrying at least two of you back upon my body, perhaps all three if Sieversii would be willing to create bindings from the trees." The unicorn just stares between them, the skeleton gets the stare when she says 'distasteful'. She intentionally speaks loud enough that the both the dryad and orc should be capable of hearing. Were the orc not magically asleep.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

"And why would I need to be carried? I am quite capable of walking on my own."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uru'vi

"It's quite a bit faster than walking, and I'd prefer to be out of here before the night time predators fully awaken." The Unicorn whinnies at Szandra, turning its head up.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 1...
Inside a cave...
King Skullguy...
The power of your hex courses through your body, quickly inducing you to a state of deep sleep. You awaken after what feels to have been hours - perhaps even days. Your throat is parched, your muscles ache, and an intense pain throbs in the back of your head. You begin to wonder what has gone awry with your hex, but quickly realize you might have a more pressing concern: you are just now noticing that you appear to have been awakened by an armored boot, which is callously pressing down on your stomach. As your wits return to you after being so rudely awakened, your gaze instinctively follows the boot upwards, revealing a mountain of a man standing atop you, covered in plate mail from head to toe. His armor is seemingly crafted out of the hide of a red dragon (or perhaps some similar scaled beast), and at his back is a strange 'wheel' comprised entirely of blades without hilts, each twice your height in their length, as if they were made for some kind of giant.

His humanoid frame seems like it should be incapable of bearing the weight of such a burden, but he appears to be carrying the load of the heavy armor and what appears to be more than a dozen giant-sized greatswords without any difficulty whatsoever. His eyes burn with tiny points of silver fire from beneath a mask that otherwise obscures his actual features, replacing them with that of a horse's head. A strangely shaped fist-sized gem rests in the center of his helmet, and an insignia that you have not seen before is inscribed upon the shoulder of his armor: a flaming longsword atop a checkerboard pattern of red and silver. In a thunderous voice that booms throughout the cave and echoes in your mind several times, he bellows at you, "Who are you to come to this place, little green creature? You are no ally of the knight or the tower, by your markings or by your thoughts. Yet you are seemingly no enemy either, by the same. Declare yourself."

You are left wondering - rather pressingly - just what the gently caress this is.

This person or creature is currently restricting your movement with a thousand-pound boot atop your chest, but you might be able to wrest yourself from his one-footed grapple if you tried.

The group is having a healthy discussion about possibly leaving Skullguy behind - an admittedly reasonable discussion - when more than a few things go wrong at more or less the same moment. In the general vicinity of where that invisible arcane mark was, there is suddenly a bright flash of yellow light, which draws your attention either at that point or the moment shortly thereafter when it is followed by a thunderclap. A crystalline thing which Szandra recognizes as bearing on each of its hundreds of facets the yellow 'sleep' symbol previously identified as being inscribed in the arcane mark - about the size of a fist, has oozed out of the rocks in that area and floats silently in midair, glowing (and crackling) with an obvious arcane energy, and emitting a steady if slightly pulsing yellow light.

It hovers in place where it appeared, about two hundred feet from your location closer towards the forest line where you've been having your conversation, seeming a little ominous but not taking any immediately hostile actions towards you. It is unclear exactly what has caused this to happen, as none of you were providing stimuli to the area at the time.

pre:
Perception rolls...
33 - Sieversii
20 - Uru'vi
19 - Zoka
17 - Szandra

vs. Stealth roll...
28 - Murderbeast
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the dryad is able to see the forest for the trees. In this case, the trees being the distracting thunderclap-inducing glowing crystalline entity, and the forest being a separate and imminent problem in a stance that seems set to execute a pounce from about one hundred feet away, northwards and pointed pretty much directly at Uru'vi. It doesn't take a genius to recognize this creature as the apparent parent (or perhaps just a relative) of Skullguy's recently adopted pet.

pre:
Surprise round:  Sieversii gets to act.
Battle map coming after you decide what you want to do.
  The displacer beast is 100' to your northwest in the jungle growth.
    It is poised to pounce, in about two or three seconds by your assessment.
  The crystalline entity is 200' to your east in the mountainous foothills.
    It is unclear what objective or action this creature is about to take.

Initiative rolls thereafter are...
26 - Crystalline Entity
13 - Murderbeast
12 - Sieversii
10 - Zoka
 9 - Uru'vi
 7 - Szandra

Skullguy - do whatever you want whenever you want.

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 12, 2013

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sieversii
With a whispered word the dryad causes the plants of the wood to entangle the beast before it can pounce.

(DC 17 reflex or entangled as per the spell. I'm assuming that it's a magical beast and thus immune to wild empathy.)

"Uru'vi be wary, our companion's pet's pack has arrived!"

She then moves back behind the tree.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

Szandra's attention locks onto the crystalline... whatever.
"Ohhh... that's... almost certainly bad. Perhaps riding could work, yes."

OOC: Off hand, Szandra isn't flat-footed at the start of a round, so AC is currently 16.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Who am I? I'm King Skullguy, King of the Skullguys. Now please take your stupid boot off my stupid chest, guy. You got a problem with Orcs sleeping in caves? You don't own this cave! Unless you do. Hi, what's your name?"

Are my arms being held down or are they free? This could be important.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 1 (continued)...
Murderbeast...
pre:
Reflex save...
13 - Murderbeast
Sieversii's cat-like reflexes enable her to react almost instantaneously to the danger of the situation, protecting Uru'vi and the rest of the group - rather ironically - from a cat-like creature with apparently less developed reflexes. Approximately one hundred feet to your northwest, with a dismissive wave of her hand, a veritable cloud of vegetation begins to seal over and obscure an area approximately eighty feet wide. Zoka, Szandra, and Uru'vi, who had previously not even been aware of this threat, are now alerted to it rather handily as it looses an angered roar that echoes as it bounces against the rock walls of the mountainous foothills.

Barely visible in the dim light of the moon and stars, the creature is clearly being restrained by at least a dozen vines that have quickly wrapped around its six legs, the tentacles upon its back, and around its neck and torso as well. The beast writhes and squirms as cats are wont to do when trapped, trying to wrench itself free from these unjust bonds:

pre:
Strength check...
19 - Murderbeast (move action)
The corded muscles of the creature's limbs are in full effect at this moment, and you find yourselves wondering at the raw power required to literally snap clearly healthy vines in half, which is exactly what the creature is doing. Within only a few moments, the vines that had been entangling the beast and keeping it contained are shredded to tatters, and only a few moments thereafter the creature leaps through the air as it looses another terrifying roar.

pre:
Jump check...
28 - Murderbeast
The beast dashes twenty feet forward from the entangled area, getting a running start before using its powerful hind legs to execute an immensely powerful-looking leap. It is now mid-air, in the process of executing that leap, and what appears to be about seven hundred pounds of muscle and teeth is on collision course with Uru'vi.

pre:
Murderbeast, standard action:
  - 20' movement, transitioning into a long jump.
  - Jump check succeeds, enabling 40' of total movement this round.
  - Remaining distance to party is 60', northwest from your location.
  - This thing is in mid-air and hurtling at blinding speed toward Uru'vi.
Crystalline entity...
Meanwhile, the crystalline entity appears to have been watching the spectacle. As the entangling magic initially subdues the dangerous jungle-cat, those still paying attention to this smaller curiosity would note that it merely hovered in mid-air, perhaps getting its bearings or awaiting some sort of command. After the roar of the jungle-cat echoed throughout the area, however, it began to react, gliding surprisingly quickly through the area and moving about one-hundred and twenty feet closer towards both the party and the displacer beast.

pre:
Crystalline entity, standard and move actions:
  - 60' movement towards the party, twice.
  - Remaining distance to party is 80', east from your location.
As it approaches, you find yourselves at the limits of the range of its pale yellow glow, which washes over the area in a manner not dissimilar to the light of a candle. The light flickers and plays on the shadows of the jungle behind you, adding an undeniable tension to the scene unfolding at the moment, although not causing any particular harm in and of itself.

Skullguy...
The armored behemoth laughs heartily at your defiance, and takes his foot off of your stomach, resting it instead on the ground near your head. As his laugh fades away, he continues the conversation, "Royalty, are you? How unexpected! Truly I was not expecting to receive such a noble guest as a king of orcs!" He laughs again, and you can't entirely tell if he is being serious or sarcastic. His tone shifts to a lower note at this point, as he continues, "Perhaps you can breathe easier now, with my foot off of your chest, King Skullguy of the ...Skullguys, is it? Creative naming scheme you've got there. I am... Nightfall Remnant, to answer your question of my own name." You're pretty sure he's being sarcastic now, but he continues nonetheless, "Forgive me, I should not be so rude. I didn't even recognize your racial profile. It has been a long time since I have even seen an orc, I suppose. No, not since the massacre in the ravine, if I recall correctly. It is good to see one of your kind still breathing."

He shrugs at this point, and in so doing his armor and the dozen blades at his back creak and jingle in a hundred different places, before he continues, "I suppose you are welcome to sleep in this cave if you desire it, if that is all you have come for. I had assumed, perhaps naively, that you had come in search of more than that. Do you...normally just put yourself to sleep through the use of magic? I suppose you are an orc, so maybe that's normal?"

He seems to be legitimately curious as to why you would do that, but otherwise isn't making any hostile movements. You are no longer restrained by his thousand-pound leg at this point, either.

pre:
You're up:  Sieversii, Zoka, Uru'vi and Szandra.

Sieversii:  Keep in mind that wild empathy specifically does work on magical beasts.
You just take a -4 penalty on the check.

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 16, 2013

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Yeah I usually don't put myself to sleep with magic, but there was a unicorn and some other creatures who were really bothering me. I'm new around here. My tribe came here after our homeland was destroyed. It's a pretty interesting story, you see. The world started flooding and the- hold on, I had a displacer beast with me. Did you see where it went? It was just a little guy and I don't know what I would do if I lost him. He owes me money for the potion I fed him."

El Fappo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 12, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uru'vi

With the warning from the dryad, the Unicorn while startled catches itself. And charges full speed into the jumping beast, its horn lowered to pierce the beast as a lance, catching it mid jump as she charges across the field.

Making a Powerful Charge 1d20 + 10 = 30 Critical Hit!? 1d20 + 10 = 23 2d8 + 8 = 23. 2d8 = 10 41 damage on a crit. (23 + 10 + 8)

The horn is level with where the beasts head would be, and the strength of a full charge combined with the creatures own momentum impales it upon the Unicorn, its blood washing over the pristine white form of the magical beast.

((Murder! Uru'vi loses 2 AC until her next round, lowering her to 17 AC.

VV this is why I only play spellcasters, these rules are silly. Should work now?))

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 17, 2013

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Err, if Waador's okay with that it's fine KittyEmpress, but you seem to have skipped actually confirming that crit. Also, and not as important but technically how it works, you only double flat numbers. A crit just modifies the number of dice rolled, it doesn't double the damage of your initial roll. So a successful crit in this case would be 4d8 + 16, not 2d8 doubled + 16.

edit: Also, and not related to the above, could someone toss me a link to the IRC host? I've switched computers and don't remember what it was.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 17, 2013

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Err, if Waador's okay with that it's fine KittyEmpress, but you seem to have skipped actually confirming that crit. Also, and not as important but technically how it works, you only double flat numbers. A crit just modifies the number of dice rolled, it doesn't double the damage of your initial roll. So a successful crit in this case would be 4d8 + 16, not 2d8 doubled + 16.

edit: Also, and not related to the above, could someone toss me a link to the IRC host? I've switched computers and don't remember what it was.

irc.freenode.net #ftno

Edit: Is my current situation happening at the same time as the murderbeast fight? Or is it slightly in the future?

El Fappo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 18, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 1 (continued)...
pre:
On critical hits, LordKoth is correct.  Specifically:
 - Your original damage dice (in this case 2d8 gore) is doubled to 4d8 on a x2 modifier;
 - Any flat bonuses (in this case +8) are doubled to +16 on a x2 modifier; and
 - Any die bonuses (such as +1d6 for a flaming weapon) would not be impacted by a critical.
It is a tense moment, as Zoka, Szandra and Sieversii's eyes flit back and forth quickly between the airborne beast made of claws, teeth and spear-like tentacles on its back, and Uru'vi, who is directly in its flight path. A horrible scene plays out in each of their minds, with the end result of this monstrous creature's leap readily apparent:

Perhaps distracted by this horrible future that is rapidly approaching them, neither Sieversi nor Zoka immediately act. It is, instead, Uru'vi herself who bucks the shackles of a future yet to be written, choosing to meet her fate head-on in a clash of wills, horns, teeth, claws, hooves, tentacles, and whatever else fate may have in store. Rearing back on her hind legs, the unicorn kicks forth in a spirited charge directly aimed (quite literally) at the face of danger.

In the span of the blink of an eye, the unicorn breaches the remaining distance between herself and the airborne jungle cat, taking advantage of its reduced ability to maneuver or defend itself while in mid-leap to sneak past the creature's guard and surprise it with a bone-shattering strike. A sickening crunch is heard by Zoka and Sieversii, moments before a horrible, snarling wail echoes from the remaining portions of the creature's face.
pre:
Uru'vi has struck the displacer beast with a critical hit, dealing 41 points of damage.
The displacer beast is clearly severely wounded, but is still alive.
The displacer beast flails violently, but is effectively bound to the unicorn by her horn at this moment. For those looking on from afar, Zoka, Szandra and Sieversii see a terrifying sight: Uru'vi's horn has pierced directly through the creature's head, and its tip is sticking out of an exit wound at the back of the creature's skull. Blood is spraying everywhere at the moment, and torrents of the crimson rain are essentially painting the unicorn's head and mane. The displacer beast appears to still be alive, but given the wounds it has suffered is very likely to be not long for this world. It is obvious to the three onlookers, however, that in its final breaths it is likely to try and take as many pieces of Uru'vi with it to the grave as it can.

pre:
You're up:  Sieversii, Zoka, and Szandra.
Inside a cave...
Skullguy's unexpected conversation continues inside the cave, in a relatively pleasant tone and format (at least as compared to how it started). The hulking armored form replies after Skullguy's all-over-the-place statements, "As strange as it sounds, it would seem we have things in common, you and I. My homeland was ripped asunder as well, once upon a time. Although our problems were a little more ...difficult to predict... than something so simple as floodwaters, I suppose. Still, I too know the pain of migrating to new and dangerous lands." He laughs at this point, looking himself up and down as if inspecting his armor, before continuing, "I suppose my story doesn't matter any longer, though. I've certainly had enough of it, at least. So, your tribe of orcs is moving into the area, is it? And what did you say about a unicorn? I wasn't aware those were native to this place. I don't think unicorns can swim. Or at least, I don't think they typically do - for several dozen leagues - for no apparent reason. How very strange."

At this point, Skullguy's other comment finally appears to register, and the armored form stops, stares for a few moments, and then asks, "Wait ...did you just suggest that an infant displacer beast owes you money? For a potion you fed it? That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard."

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 20, 2013

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Yeah an infant displacer beast owes me money. It voluntarily consumed a potion worth a lot of money. I'm an orc, not a charity. Did you see him? He was right here when I went to sleep. And yeah, the unicorn isn't native. It migrated here with me. There was also a dryad, a skeleton, some weird elf thing, and their respective tribes. It's all very confusing and improbable, but it happened." Suddenly, Skullguy has a thought. After wincing slightly from the headache, he asks "Wait! Are there MORE of you here? And do you have anything to do with the weird eye-shaped rune thing I saw out in the hills? I tried using magic on it to see what would happen, but nothing happened and it's been bothering me all day. Usually when I cast a spell, something will happen."

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zoka

Well, that had been unexpected. Both the cat out of nowhere and Uru'vi almost killing it in a single blow. Briefly debating getting involved in the scuffle, Zoka decided against it. Given that it was already almost dead, it would likely be a simple task for the others to finish it off easily enough, and he'd prefer not to break weapons or get himself injured when it was unnecessarily. Besides, if there were any more he'd prefer not to be covered with the blood of that one. That said, he'd prefer not to explain his logic to the others, and it wouldn't hurt to be prepared for anything else in the near future, so he chose to blend into the darkness of the night, moving behind a tree to provide even more concealment.

Moving slightly to the side and Stealthing. Stealth +14 plus any relevant modifiers. Moving to B-13

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 29, 2013

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sieversii

An arrow follows the unicorn's charge, striking the beast moments after her horn. Sieversii's face is suddenly cold and strangely fierce.

Her voice is fluid, but the sound of it is the rustling of the forest before a storm. She steps behind the tree once more.

+8 ranged, longbow, to try to finish the beast. Asking the plants if there's more of them.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
In a single fluid motion that is reminiscent of poetry in both its grace and its nature, Sieversii readies and levels her longbow in the blink of an eye, effortlessly drawing and firing a wooden arrow cleanly through the air, zipping between Uru'vi's raised hooves and striking the beleaguered displacer beast in its chest. It is unclear to the onlookers whether the dryad is such a skilled shot with a bow that firing into a melee is barely a challenge, or if the dryad simply didn't care about the risk of possibly striking her comrade-in-arms: certainly, her face doesn't give way to any readable emotions on the matter.

Arguing with results, however, is a fairly difficult thing: the would-be foe now has a unicorn's horn rammed through its skull, presumably impairing much of its higher brain function, and an arrow somewhere close to where you imagine its heart would be. The beast is writhing in pain and howling a death scream that is echoing throughout the jungle canopy, but seems to still have a little bit of life left in it.

Taking nary a moment to enjoy the success of her shot, the dryad begins to listen to the sounds of the plants in the area, beseeching them silently in the language of the forest (and jungle, apparently) to offer insight on the presence of other potential predators nearby. In response to her call, the jungle responds: "Six feet with claws? Safe. ... ... Unnatural light, beware. ... ... Unseen for an age." A strange response, to say the least.

Meanwhile, Zoka immerses himself into the welcoming embrace of the shadowed canopy of the jungle, putting a few allies between himself and the ominous crystal floating in the air to the east of the group.

pre:
Sieversii has struck the displacer beast with an arrow, dealing 2 points of damage.
The displacer beast is clearly severely wounded, but is still alive.

Szandra, you're up!

Waador fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 29, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

Feeling quite flustered and also unwilling to engage with any of the enemies, Szandra's mind strays to the orc. Hrm.
She pivots, turning to the cave, and hurries over, hoping to rouse him.

e: vvv Odd, for some reason I thought the cave was southwest. Double move to L4, AC remains 16.

zachol fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 31, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 2...
Writhing in agony, the horn-impaled jungle beast roars in defiance, lashing out violently with its claws, teeth, and the tentacles adorning its back. With much of its higher brain function impaired (presumably as a result of a unicorn horn skewering said brain - which leaves some of you to question the fabled healing properties of a unicorn's horn), many of the hits go wide, with one tentacle lashing at a nearby rock, and the bite grasping only thin air. In its last desperate strike, however, the other tentacle strikes deep into Uru'vi's side, tearing open a concerning-looking gash about twelve inches in length. Blood immediately begins to spurt everywhere, looking as if a major artery has been injured, and soon both the unicorn and the jungle beast are coated in a fresh layer of blood, mixing that of the two creatures in a disgusting margarita made from the blood of magical beasts.

pre:
Displacer beast:
  Full-round action:   Full attack
    Tentacle 1 (29) <<<Hit! Critical Threat!>>>
    Tentacle 1 (20) <<<Critical Hit!>>>
    Tentacle 2 (16) <<<Miss!>>>
    Bite (14) <<<Miss!>>>
  Damage:
    Tentacle 1 <<<18 bludgeoning damage!>>>
  Hit points:
    Uru'vi:      23 / 41 HP
Meanwhile, Zoka slips deeper into the shadows of the jungle canopy, hiding himself from the view of other potential threats. In contrast to this, Szandra rushes forth, heading to the northeast and placing herself into a position ostensibly defending Uru'vi from a surprise attack by the crystalline entity, as she is directly in the path of the two creatures and under no cover whatsoever. Almost immediately, the crystalline entity appears to take note of Szandra, rocketing towards her position at a rather impressive speed of flight. As it begins to head towards the skeleton, the faint light it was emitting strengthens to a far more visible glow, radiating at least twenty feet in every direction from its core (although somewhat occluded by local flora and rock formations). The crystalline entity emits a pulse of sound at this point, which Szandra recognizes as a strangely musical variant of an incantation to a 'deep slumber' spell. Predictably, the enchantment has no sway over the profound immunities of the skeletal mage.

Despite the effects of the spell rolling off of her without any impact whatsoever, Szandra notices something strange: an unusual condensation appears to be building in the air around her, and is collecting in beads on her exposed clothing and bones. A similar sensation is easily noticed on the nearby rocks, as well as the leaves and branches of several of the plants to her immediate back. The area effected is clearly grossly proportional to the strange aura being emitted by the crystalline entity - although it doesn't appear to be causing any harm...

pre:
Crystalline entity:
   Move action:      60' movement from S-12 to N-5.
   Free action:      Unknown aura is activated.
   Standard action:  Sleep spell-like ability vs. Szandra (no effect)

Szandra reaction: Spellcraft (18), identifies the spell-like ability but not the aura.
   Szandra reaction: Perception (23, detects strange condensation.

Inside a cave...
The dialogue between Skullguy and the strange, heavily-armored, heavily-armed humanoid entity continues, with the being responding to Skullguy's latest statement with a laugh. "Well, I can't fault you for your economic sense, I suppose. Though you might need a bit of luck collecting on that debt. I don't see him, but he might not be intelligent enough for that: I know that doesn't make much sense, but it's kind of complicated. I'm sure he or she is fine, though." The creature leans back against the wall of the cave at this point, in a manner that Skullguy notes as oddly silent for a creature carrying half a dozen greatswords and a hundred pounds of armor, and it continues, "Anyway, sorry, I'm confused. You...migrated here? With a unicorn, a skeleton, a dryad, and an...elf-thing? No idea what an elf is, but that sounds like an unlikely assortment of comrades no matter how you slice it." He pauses, seemingly considering for a moment, before continuing, "I don't suppose your skeleton is made of silver? Or some other similar precious metal?"

Finally he responds to Skullguy's targeted question, saying, "As to whether there are more of me here, honestly I have no clue. The Priesthood sent me to this island to secure...something that was deemed to be ours, I suppose. I failed in that task, at least partially. That was a long time ago, though. I have no idea what might have happened in the intervening time period." He shrugs, continuing, "Like I said, it's complicated. It's funny that you found it, but if you aren't here for a specific purpose I would highly advise you not to play with that rune lock. Wandering into the test it has been coded for would be astoundingly dangerous if you didn't know the trick to it. In fact, that's what got me killed." He shrugs again, letting that one hang in the air for a few moments of awkward silence. Then he drops another bombshell, suggesting, "Although, come to think of it, it is activated when you cast a sleep spell. I wonder if your head-shotting yourself in this cave is within the range of its divination?"

Waador fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 31, 2013

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Oh so you're dead. Yeah that clears up a lot of questions I had." Skullguy finally stands up and grabs his axe. "Let's go see if I activated it! Can you leave this cave or are you haunting it? I don't know how ghosts work."

Skullguy starts walking out of the cave, looks over his shoulder, and shouts "COME ON BUDDY! WE'VE GOT A MISSION!"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

Alarmed at the thing's speed, Szandra continues east, skirting just out of what she hopes is its reach.

Double move to U4, with a detour to L3 first, assuming it has 5' reach.
Also, what's the deal with the sections that are cut out of the aura? Particularly around N1. Are those visibly different/unaffected?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

((I'm away from my computer, so I'll need you to roll for me.))

Uru'vi

In one fluid motion, the unicorn dips her head downwards, the lashing pain of the tentacles causing her to make a loud neigh-like-sound, before rearing up onto her hind legs, aiming to slam her hooves down on the nearly dead beast.

(I believe I make two attacks at +5, for 1d3+2 damage each)

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
As with her initial charge, the enraged unicorn navigates past the primary defenses of the displacer beast through an instinctual use of her keen sense of smell, rendering the shimmering visual illusion that would otherwise protect it from harm to something not much more than a decorative accent to its fur coat. While the beast continues to thrash wildly, keeping Uru'vi's horns from finding any real purchase, the already-embedded horn digs its way deeper into the creature's skull, using its own thrashing against it to cause an almost unbelievable amount of internal hemorrhaging.

Giving a final, disgusting death rattle, the creature begins to succumb to its wounds, collapsing limply onto Uru'vi and shuddering. The creature is clearly dying, though has not been claimed by the grave just yet. It is, however, clearly no longer a threat.

pre:
Uru'vi:
  Full-round action:   Full attack
    Gore   (22)        <<<Hit!>>>
    Hoof 1 (14)        <<<Miss!>>>
    Hoof 2 ( 8)        <<<Miss!>>>
  Damage:
    Gore               <<<9 bludgeoning damage!>>>
  Hit points:
    Uru'vi:            23 / 41 HP
    Displacer Beast:   52 damage taken!  Defeated!
Meanwhile, Szandra skirts cautiously around the area threatened by the crystalline entity whose attention she has attracted. It is obvious to her that the light being cast by the creature is occluded by several large objects, such as rocks, and the dense vegetation, creating a few 'safe zones' around what otherwise appears to be an aura that it is effecting upon the area. The areas where the light isn't touching appear to be unassailed by whatever strange condensation the aura is seemingly generating or otherwise encouraging.

pre:
Zoka and Sieversii, you're up!
Inside a cave...
Skullguy attempts to stand up and collect his belongings, intent on leaving the cave. Almost immediately, he finds that his movements are sluggish, and that his muscles aren't responding in a manner that he has come to expect. In response, the armored man appears to laugh, explaining, "I'm afraid it's not that simple, friend. You're still asleep, actually. Not really sure there's anything either of us can do about that."

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Great. Terrific. Well, tell me whatever it is that you're holding back. You know more than I do right now. Don't hold back on me, guy. I can be a powerful ally, because I still have a physical body. Let me in on some information and I'll be happy to do some things for you in the waking world."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside a cave...
The 'dream ghost' takes the bait, responding in a relatively friendly manner and with an empathizing shrug, "Anything in particular you want to know, o' glorious leader? I've never exactly been an expert at anything but combat, but if you're newly migrated here I might be able to give you some useful information. As for what I want in exchange, well, it'd be nice to know a bit more about what you can do for me before tasking you with anything important to a dead man. Assuming there are such things, anyway." He laughs again, and then looks down at himself, as if considering for the first time in a while what exactly it might be that a dead man might want.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Well I'm an Orcish witch-king. Let the possibilities sink in. You tell me where your corpse is and someday I might have enough power to resurrect you. That'd be pretty great. As for what I want... How long ago did you die? Do you know anything about any good treasure on this island? Know anything about the pirates? Or a safe place to start building a civilization?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside a cave...
The armored figure responds with a mild degree of interest, suggesting, "I'll start with the important questions, I guess. If you want to start building a civilization, you're going to need to be very careful about it. Massive hurricanes move through this place once in a while, tearing apart the coastlines and interior island pretty regularly. There's a natural valley nearby that might have the right positioning and geographical features - namely, big mountains on every side - that could shield you from the brunt of the storms, but I doubt even that would render you completely safe from the worst storms that sometimes ravage this place. Basically, your people had better be particularly good at architecture if you want to live here. And don't get me wrong, but I've never heard great things about the orcish education system. Living underground would be a lot safer, is all I'm saying." He shrugs, ostensibly trying to be helpful but obviously not seeing the logic to building a civilization on an island regularly ravaged by natural disaster.

He continues, "As for treasure, I might know a few things about that subject. As I said, the Priesthood sent me here to secure something valuable to my order. It was stored in a vault...of sorts, anyway. If you were willing to help me recover that object, I am sure you would find ample reward in the other treasures stored therein. I would certainly no longer have any use for the material wealth, anyway." He's obviously holding a few things back - particularly the 'where' and the 'how' - but he seems sincere enough, as he responds to your other questions, "As to pirates, not a clue. Same goes for how long I've been dead. A few hundred years at least, I assume. It's been, uh, a long time since I stopped counting the days, anyway." Winking one of the burning silver points of fire that pass for eyes behind his massive steel mask, he asks, "so, where do we start, o' witch king of the orcs?"

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 2, 2014

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"That all sounds good. I guess living underground or in a cave would suit my people well. That treasure thing you said caught my attention, though. Help me out, here. What do you need out of the vault and what do I do with it when I find it? And if I find your corpse, can I have your things? I was going to steal everything on this island that isn't bolted down anyway, but since I ran into you I might as well ask your position on all of it."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside a cave...
The armored figure responds nonchalantly, "I don't think it's a matter of 'if': my corpse should be a stone's throw from where you put yourself to sleep, whenever you wake up. You're welcome to help yourself to my things, though I doubt you'll be able to carry it all or effectively wield much of it. I had an enchanted belt that helped me carry the load, but such things were carefully crafted by the Priesthood and keyed only to the intended users. A few people have had success 'tricking' the locks on them, but it's not an easy task."

Laughing at the orc's statement about taking everything that isn't bolted down, he suggests, "The vault I was searching for is supposed to contain an ancient relic, which is said to have been a crown worn by one of the old gods, during the time when they ushered life into this world, and safeguarded it from harm. Those deities died long ago, and the holy text suggested their remains were buried somewhere on this island, alongside the remnants of their godly possessions. My mission was to retrieve the crown, and deliver it unto the leaders of my order, the Five Knights of Light. If you could help me retrieve the crown, perhaps we could then find a way to deliver it unto their successors...assuming the order still survives, I suppose. Admittedly, I haven't thought the latter parts of the plan through." He concludes, "As for stealing everything else that isn't bolted down, you might want to exercise a bit more caution than that. Much treasure is left to be found, with the intent of luring in and ending the lives of would-be grave robbers. I'm not your mother, though, do whatever you want."

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"So just find this crown and give it to your sacred order? That was your mission? Buddy, it sounds to me like your friends tricked you. They probably just got fed up and sent you on a wild goose chase to get you out of their hair. That's awful."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
As the displacer beast lies there on the ground, hoarsely breathing and grotesquely twitching as it begins its dance with death, the rest of you are left to wonder: who was the monster here? Clearly, it definitely wasn't you, who kidnapped its child. And then impaled it through the brain with the horn of a majestic creature. Not in the least. So the answer to the question, you suppose, is that it was. Mystery solved.

Furthermore, the crystalline entity continues to shine ominously.

pre:
Reminder: Zoka and Sieversii, you're up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zoka

Struck with a sudden thought, he stepped behind the dryad to quietly converse with her. "Hey, you can talk with animals and stuff right? Think you could slightly heal the big cat here and cut a deal with it? I'm sure Uru'vi and Szandra can occupy that crystal thingy. It's probably the two magic users anyways."

• Locked thread