Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Make a list of things to get done on the 240SX, get it running and do at least a track day with it at VIR.

Keep the Mazda 3 clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Sell the E30 for something a little more practical.

Spend more time keeping up on the maintenance on the wife's civic.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Buy another E30 :getin:

Maintain the other two

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Put a few things on the Honda Fit to make it not so painful to drive. (Intake, Exhaust, springs, rear sway bar, sway bar) Also during this time I must keep the car for at least one year and not just sell it for something irresponsible and stupid.
If I hold off on the suspension stuff - Drive in AutoX in the stock B class.

Sell my moped (64cc Puch Maxi)
Take my MSF to get the rest of my Motorcycle license so I can ride something other than a moped.
Buy something irresponsible and stupid such as a motorcycle. (Ninja 250r, CBR250R)

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
1) Install Paxton... finally.

2) Suck it up and remove the rear seats for UCA/Mount install.

3) Run it at the strip for the first time. (10s?)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Be content with the car I have (2013 Sonic Turbo) and not sell it after a few months to buy something else (and repeat over and over again).

I've gotten away from fun and fast cars and it sounds like my chumpcar team (only did 1 race) is disbanding this year. I'd like to get back into track days eventually. I'd just like to have a garage and tow vehicle first. That can wait another couple years, I hope.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

1. See how long I can go without buying a car this year.
2. Buy another car.

I made it through 2012 without buying a car AND I only had one car. It was so tough.

Of course, 2013 hit and within two months I had a new DD and three months after that a new project car.

For 2014 I resolve to:
1. Finish the living space and bathroom in my basement so that when I'm working on my cars and need to take a leak I don't have to go upstairs, outside, or in a can. I'll also have a shower to wash away the shame of my unfinished car projects.
2. Learn to TIG weld and apply this new skill to cool projects (2002, workbench, mailbox, etc).
3. Improve the 2002... It won't be 'done', I just want some solid progress.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Trade my goddamn car after a year of procrastinating.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Since Colorado actually gets all four seasons I'm looking at something turbocharged and AWD. The two main contenders are an Audi TT RS and a 997.1 Turbo. Given the warranty and 15k price difference, I'm favoring the Audi at the moment.

Since you had inspired me to get a Lotus, you should follow my lead now and try a GTR. Drive a 2012+. It's not for everyone, but it's a bundle of giggles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Miata stuff
1. Track down the drat belt/pulley whine
2. Fix the speed sensor which keeps the mileage low but sometimes also makes speed cameras a terrifying guessing game
3. Clean up the wheels and touch up a few scratches on the bodywork
4. Stick a junkyard turbo in it

Try not to buy an E92 330 after getting the bonus for 2013

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Basically, sell the 08 Fit and 08 LGT and buy an 08-09 4runner v8 sport/limited awd from somewhere down south and drive it home. Not a hard thing, and it WILL have to happen, but drat if I'm not already looking forward to it. :getin:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Peugeot stuff:

1) Buy a proper tool chest ASAP because dragging my old plastic toolbox around on the floor sucks absolute poo poo.
2) Rebuild the front suspension & wheel bearings to take care of some issues.
3) Get around to actually replacing all 4 injectors insead of just 1.
4) Throw a roof rack on top so I don't have to keep wedging muddy bicycles inside the poor thing.

Boring poo poo, but I need my workhorse to keep on chugging away to get me to work and trolley mountain bikes out to the woods at the weekend. Plus today I got my first ever car insurance quote for less than the declared value of the car, we're off to a better start to this year already. :)

*E* Turns out the wheel bearing I thought I could hear was some weird tyre noise, threw my winter tyres on today and it's gone. :confused:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 2, 2014

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Since Colorado actually gets all four seasons I'm looking at something turbocharged and AWD. The two main contenders are an Audi TT RS and a 997.1 Turbo. Given the warranty and 15k price difference, I'm favoring the Audi at the moment.

Color me uneducated, but I never thought someone in the market for a 997 would cross shop a tt rs. I would think the 997 would be considerably faster, but less usable for such things as getting groceries.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Fix the drat rattle in my exhaust, but its too cold and snowy to get anything done in the driveway

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Get my 84 Ram tagged and titled (historic)

Buy the LQ4 for my S10 and have fun

New FE5 suspension for the Cobalt (daily driver).

That's about all, plenty to keep me busy all year, and broke.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

1) Get job
2) Fix the Avalanche
3) Supercharge Avalanche
4) Swap in a diesel when everything inevitably explodes

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
1. Less car hoarding, currently sat on fifteen (mostly broken) cars, see if I can get it down to ten at least.
2. Buy a welder and start learning, instead of repeatedly paying the mechanic.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Comrade Flynn posted:

Since you had inspired me to get a Lotus, you should follow my lead now and try a GTR. Drive a 2012+. It's not for everyone, but it's a bundle of giggles.

The lack of a third pedal put the car out of contention. I'm sure it's a barrel of laughs but I feel like my enthusiasm for cars would slowly die if my only car was an auto of any sort. I briefly considered one but I read a few posts about how they hold up on the track and it seems the entire drivetrain and brakes overheat during 20-25 minute DE sessions at normal ambient temperatures.

Your Lotus had the toe link failure, right? That may have been what sent my car to the grave but the scary thing is I had the aftermarket Sector111 kit. Glad to hear you've kept up the insanity with a GT-R though.

Way2slow posted:

Color me uneducated, but I never thought someone in the market for a 997 would cross shop a tt rs. I would think the 997 would be considerably faster, but less usable for such things as getting groceries.

I'm weird like that. I also had an Elise as a daily driver for over a year and up until six months ago, the Boxster Spyder was my only car. Despite the back seats I think a 911 might be less usable as a daily since it didn't have a trunk (Boxsters/Caymans get both a trunk and a frunk).

I really want a 997.1 GT3/GT3RS. Since I can't do that in this state, a 997TT would keep me in a Porsche. The problem is the cheapest 997TT is 10-15k more expensive than the TT RS and they're way out of warranty by now. CPO is good for two years but you're paying dealership prices which tend to be a little crazy. And repairs of anything unique to the drivetrain would be, and I don't think this is a stretch, insane.

The Audi is quick enough and with a standard tune can make 410hp/440lb-ft. The rear seats are more of a joke than a 911 but at least they fold down for 24 cubic feet of hatch space. Oh and they can be had with a 6 year CPO warranty good through at least 2017.

Two important lessons I learned with the supercharged Elise and Boxster Spyder: You can't use that power on the street and it doesn't matter how fast you are at the track, someone else will have more money to spend on insane machinery. I had more fun on the street in a Miata or S2000 because you could wind them out and not commit felonies most of the time. And the most fun I've ever had on the track was a prepped Suzuki Swift at the Nurburgring. I have since started dialing back my long-term goals of what I want during HPDEs.

sk8bored
May 23, 2007
1. Sell Exige s260
2. Rebuild 67 VW motor with spun bearing.
3. Continue to drool over new M3

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1. Get the GMC back into roadworthy shape and keep it there.

The next two are going to be a one or the other sort of thing, depending on where I want to spend money. I need to do number 1 first, then go test driving.

2. Replace the Ranger with something not lovely (current short list is Toyobaru, Abarth, or Fiesta ST, not that I've actually driven any of the three)

3. 5-lug swap the GMC, including proper wheels, rear discs. Maybe a trailing arm conversion, maybe some significant front suspension work. Build the LS1 to somewhere around 450hp at the crank. Possibly replace the Ranger still, but with something much cheaper than my shortlist above.

4. Clean the drat garage.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The lack of a third pedal put the car out of contention. I'm sure it's a barrel of laughs but I feel like my enthusiasm for cars would slowly die if my only car was an auto of any sort. I briefly considered one but I read a few posts about how they hold up on the track and it seems the entire drivetrain and brakes overheat during 20-25 minute DE sessions at normal ambient temperatures.

Your Lotus had the toe link failure, right? That may have been what sent my car to the grave but the scary thing is I had the aftermarket Sector111 kit. Glad to hear you've kept up the insanity with a GT-R though.

Yeah, toe link popped right the hell off. I had actually put the S111 kit on after it broke before I sold it to the new owner. Scary.

I get the hesitation about a manual, but after 16 years of owning nothing but sticks I haven't missed it one bit with the auto in the GTR. I haven't heard about overheating issues besides from the brake which is fixed pretty easily. I've had my car out for 30+ minutes at a time for lap days with no issues.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Ride my classic bikes more and enjoy them for what they are rather than keep them safe and clean like a collector.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
1. Work more normal hours (never gonna happen)
2. Be more patient
3. Sell/give away lathe
4. Maintain my vehicles a bit better
5. Keep plugging away on the house and garage, install new gas heater before spring
6. Fix wife's boat
7. Sell civic
8. Simplify
Edit:
Do more metal working
Go to more #neai meets
Prep for three months in the sandbox (departing sometime in May)

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 2, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

:cripes: I need to do this. So.loving.bad.

There hasn't been a car in the garage in over 2 years. :sigh: To be fair, my crap only takes up about 1/4 of the garage...

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
Take better care of my ute than I did my busted-arse Corolla
Ride my pushbike to work (It's like 1500m now so I have no excuse)
Get the hell out of my dead end abattoir job (almost done) so I can
Pay off my stupid loan so I can
Buy a motorcycle, ride it, be happy

Lurch fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 2, 2014

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
-Comanche: Finish AX15 swap. This was supposed to be done yesterday but something is hosed up with the clutch. After that, don't mess with it. Have a reliable DD.

-E36 M3: Buy coil-overs, install new poly bushings, get good at autocross, do as many track days as possible.

-Chump E36: Race the drat thing this year.

-Stupid: Go halfsies on a beat to poo poo 4x4 with a friend and do stupid things.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
1. Upgraded suspension and more exhaust bits for my WRX.
2. Detail the hell out of my WRX and hopefully make up for a year's worth of neglect.
3. Autocross more to learn the limits of my WRX.
4. Resist the urge to buy more lovely project cars. No Miatas, no E28s, and certainly no cursed Mk2 Jettas.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
1. Actually put a bigger lift on my TJ, along with the SYE/double-cardan driveshaft that that mod will require

2. Maybe get an economical DD :v:

3. Sell body parts to buy tougher axles for the jeep, I'm not putting one dime into the D35/30 that are on this thing

4. Fix the exhaust leak/CPS tapping I wouldn't know what to do if the 4.0 stopped making weird noises

EightBit fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 2, 2014

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Finish up my '04 Subie 2.5TS project and get it on the road and hopefully sell it.

Fix up my miata a bit more especially the belt squeal I keep forgetting about every drat day.

Get my Fiesta ST I ordered goddamn 2 months ago and never have to worry about rusty car bullshit on my primary daily driver!

Do multiple track days in said Fiesta ST

More of a CA goal, but sell my Ninja 250, get a V-Strom 650/1000 and do a long distance moto camping adventure this spring/early summer!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FYI, I'll be stashing this thread by the end of the month and bringing it back at the end of the year so we can see how well we did how badly we've all failed.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

This

My mom is pretty much a hoarder and took over the garage to store her art supplies, paintings, blenders from the 80's, and duplicates of decade-old cleaning supplies she will never ever ever use or get rid of ever. Every wall of the garage has shrunk four feet inward in an attempt to asphyxiate the dream of sheltering a car or our house's three motorcycles.

This year is the year it all goes away. I will be able to walk through the garage without tripping, and I will be able to access anything I need without pulling off tarps covering useless baubles and trinkets covering garage sale finds since-forgotten, god loving damnit.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
1. Sell a car or two
2. Buy a crapbox for chumpcar
3. Actually go racing instead of just thinking about it (this may happen 2015, but whenever)
4. Buy a dirt bike that actually fits me, (will need one for midgets)
5. Do the second round of work on the car trailer

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
1) Manual swap my 850R with the M56 5sp that's been sitting in my garage forever.
2) Learn to drive a manual better then 16 year old.
3) Register my Jeep that I don't have a title for before the tabs run out in February.
4) Maybe change the oil on the Jeep. Maybe.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
1)Pending funds Trade my IQ and my wife's Mazda 3 in on something more baby friendly for my wife and only have 1 car payment.
2) Fix my 93 K1500, needs oil cooler lines, battery, shocks and swaybar links for DD status if number 1 happens.
3) If number 1 happens then save up for Crown Vic for DD.
4) fix and or sell my 82 Honda CB900.... Love it but dont have time or money for it because baby.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Go a year without buying or selling a car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

13 INCH DICK posted:

Go a year without buying or selling a car.

:toxx:

E: Fake edit: Please revise this. What are we gonna do? :qq:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Amending mine with the clause of 'buy a Biturbo :getin:'

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

13 INCH DICK posted:

Amending mine with the clause of 'buy a Biturbo :getin:'

:awesome:

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
My 2014 New Year's resolution is to do everything in my power to make this 77 Mercury Cougar the most badass ride in town. And also, make it a little less slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
New engine for the 2003 Corolla, and sell it.
Get the ZJ up and running, and sell it.
Finally put the 3SGTE in the Celica OR BUY AN MR2 YEAH LETS SPEND MORE MONEY ON HOPELESS TOYOTAS

Buy a decent daily driver.

Don't die.

• Locked thread