Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
I'm about to start a new indoor season and it's time to replace my ancient T90s. The surface is astro-turf, but the kind that is only medium-lovely. Would I be better off with 'turf shoes' instead of traditional indoor shoes? I've never owned turf shoes, so I don't know what they're all about.

e: Thanks for the advice! Just ordered a pair of Libretto IIIs.

J Hume fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Turf shoes just have a bit more traction and ridges. I like them for any indoor surface that has depth.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

J Hume posted:

I'm about to start a new indoor season and it's time to replace my ancient T90s. The surface is astro-turf, but the kind that is only medium-lovely. Would I be better off with 'turf shoes' instead of traditional indoor shoes? I've never owned turf shoes, so I don't know what they're all about.

Is it the plastic grass over a layer of shredded old tires? Get turf shoes. And if you like having skin, avoid sliding at all costs.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Got mugged and pistol whipped by some assholes last Friday, missed out on Sunday league.

Hoping not to miss out again, but as someone who has never had stitches before, I don't really know how long it takes for them to heal properly. I've got 3 on my lip, and 2 inside, and 3 above my left eye. That and I had three staples near the crown of my head.

I get the staples out tomorrow and the stitches as well.

I guess my first question is does anyone have one of those Wayne Rooney headgear things, and can you overnight it to me?

In lieu of that, I won't be heading the ball, obviously, nor will anyone on my team begrudge me for it. Does anyone have an experience with coming back from getting stitched up? Would I be making a mistake here? I just really want to get back into the swing of things after ripping a disgusting belter from just inside midfield two weeks ago.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Take an extra week, it's not the end of the world. It's Sunday League, not the Premier League

Hope you're feeling better

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
If you put any tension on those muscles you will be extremely uncomfortable. Give it at least a week or two.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ungratek posted:

Take an extra week, it's not the end of the world. It's Sunday League, not the Premier League

Hope you're feeling better

Riven posted:

If you put any tension on those muscles you will be extremely uncomfortable. Give it at least a week or two.

Ha, I know, I'm just looking for someone else to blame when things go wrong.

I'm all good otherwise. To be honest the most annoying thing is having to tell the story over and over because I have a black eye (with blood on the eyeball too :barf:)

I'm probably not gonna risk it :smith:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm probably not gonna risk it :smith:
It's the right decision if that makes it any easier. You can never predict what's going to happen in a game and it definitely isn't worth popping stitches over, a guy I played against had it happen once and it wasn't pretty.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Scars healing up nicely, definitely back for this Sunday :woop:

Also picked up a new pair of boots, same as my last pair, except for the color scheme:

Old ones:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any of you coach? I'm coaching a coed U-10 rec league team. Its a hell of a lot of fun. We play one of our academy teams next weekend which should be great and my team is just good enough to have a shot at beating them.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I like the new color scheme.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, those are pretty rad, although I think they'd be better without the splash decal.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Any of you coach? I'm coaching a coed U-10 rec league team. Its a hell of a lot of fun. We play one of our academy teams next weekend which should be great and my team is just good enough to have a shot at beating them.

Have to brag a bit, my squad won 5-2 today. One of the other team's goals was on a penalty kick. My best goal scorer kicked a perfect free kick over the top of the defense and scored another after receiving the ball with his back to the goal and turning and shooting with his left foot without missing a beat. Fun day. We are also starting to get a men's friendly going on Friday evenings so I'm excited for that as well.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, those are pretty rad, although I think they'd be better without the splash decal.

Agreed

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

vulturesrow posted:

I started coaching this year with an u13s team at my club since they had no coach so bribed the senior players to do so. Great fun, and it was really interesting to learn what it's like to be on the sideline running things.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Missed an open goal Torres-style today.

Otherwise it was a good outing, didn't misplace too many passes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I broke my first nose today.

Went up for a corner punched it away and on my way down felt something brush my elbow and heard a distinctive cartilage crunch and look down to see one of my centre backs clutching his face.

Luckily because I came down and not across there was no blood so he could keep playing. Got him a double whiskey after the game, thankfully he has broken it a few times before, so didn't hold it against me and took it in his stride.

We won 1-0 and stay 5 points clear at the top of the league.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

JFairfax posted:

I broke my first nose today.

Went up for a corner punched it away and on my way down felt something brush my elbow and heard a distinctive cartilage crunch and look down to see one of my centre backs clutching his face.

Luckily because I came down and not across there was no blood so he could keep playing. Got him a double whiskey after the game, thankfully he has broken it a few times before, so didn't hold it against me and took it in his stride.

We won 1-0 and stay 5 points clear at the top of the league.

Well played, one always remembers their first time.... Next time try to take out an opponent, though.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I have somehow found myself as captain of a six a side team. In a tournament. I don't know how this happened.

We got nailed 9-2 in our first game although admittedly the other team are an actual team and this was our first competitive match. I scored one, obviously :cool:

In our second game we won 6-4. We had to equalise four times before we broke them. I scored twice :c00l:

We were playing a 2-2-1 formation but obviously shipped quite a few goals, and easy ones at that. We have two girls in defence who are quite good (and pretty no-nonsense), a guy who has the skills of Messi but can't see a pass if it materialised as RoboCop and punched him in the teeth, a guy who is a defender but is the best midfielder as well so he has to be in the middle, and me. I am awful at shooting but I'm fast and tall so I knock people over, so I really need that guy to be running with me.

I'm thinking drop Messi back to a DM position and put me on the right wing and Good-Midfielder on the left wing, the girls can look after defence with Messi then the three boys can break away on the counter. If we can teach Messi to pass, of course.

The football was fun but being manager is funner :D

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah, 4-0, top of the league table after a dominant 11-1 performance on Sunday.

Also my Achilles tendon is so tender I'm limping like a bastard two days later.

Worth it.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Didn't even realize this thread existed. Cool.

I played forward from U8 all the way through high school, then I tore my achilles because I was too cool to stretch pre-match. Got fat and out of shape, since then I've done nothing but drunken tailgate kick-arounds during the MLS season.

New Years resolution to get back in shape, but gently caress jogging or lifting weights, I'm gonna play soccer. Found a sports complex that does two indoor pickup sessions a week, two hours for $5. Wish I could afford to get into a league, but they charge $850 per team, and I don't know anyone well enough to pay for my roster spot.

Already got my shoes, too.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Good news, playing those open nights will get you into a team. Worked for me and I'm poo poo.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

grvm posted:

Good news, playing those open nights will get you into a team. Worked for me and I'm poo poo.

What's the secret? Just play and hope to impress someone with an open roster spot?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Captain Trips posted:

What's the secret? Just play and hope to impress someone with an open roster spot?

Just make friends with people. I really doubt I impressed anyone, haha. Most people playing are playing for fun, so just go and have fun.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Check and see if the league will let you sign up as an individual and put you in an open spot. Also, some leagues have a sort of catch-all team for people in just your position.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
$850 for an indoor team?! Yikes. Is that 6v6?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Geno posted:

$850 for an indoor team?! Yikes. Is that 6v6?

That's 5v5 plus keepers. 6v6 is $925 a team for a 9 match "season".

It's 18-man rosters, so it's not like it's $150 a person. But that's still a little crazy.

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 4, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

That is crazy. We don't have an organized adult league here but we do have an informal game on Fridays, mostly a lot of youth coaches and a handful of others. We actually have some pretty good players and I think we are going to make a move to get more organized. Hopefully I can work it in between work, grad school, coaching my U-10 team , and all my other kids' assorted activities...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

Wish I could afford to get into a league, but they charge $850 per team, and I don't know anyone well enough to pay for my roster spot.

Get back to me when you're playing in a 5v5(6v6 with keepers) league that's $1500 per session with 10 games and a 10 player max roster.:emo:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Captain Trips posted:

That's 5v5 plus keepers. 6v6 is $925 a team for a 9 match "season".

It's 18-man rosters, so it's not like it's $150 a person. But that's still a little crazy.

Do you have to have 18 people? 18 men for 6v6 is ridiculous. We have 10 man rosters for 6v6 and people still complain about playing time (22 minute halves).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geno posted:

Do you have to have 18 people? 18 men for 6v6 is ridiculous. We have 10 man rosters for 6v6 and people still complain about playing time (22 minute halves).

18 people for 6v6 is insane. 6v6 is what my U-10 (rec) team plays and we tried to limit to about 8-10 kids per team. That was with 25 minute halves.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Sorry, they're 18-man rosters, max. I don't know how many people are actually on each team. I assume that's so you have some flexibility if someone can't make a match.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Captain Trips posted:

Sorry, they're 18-man rosters, max. I don't know how many people are actually on each team. I assume that's so you have some flexibility if someone can't make a match.

The reason for this in most places in America, is usually these indoor leagues exist mostly from word of mouth, and get teams from the 11v11 leagues, so the 18 man roster limit allows them to join as whole teams so no one's feelings get hurt.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So I finally got word back from my doctor. Surgery is a must.

A normal compartment syndrome test is loving brutal. To break it down, there are four compartments in your lower legs. To test the pressure of the legs, they insert a needle into each of the compartments and test the pressure. To do this, they have to break through the fascia, which cases the muscle. This doesn't stretch, and having to poke through this is not pleasant. After sticking the needles in all four of the compartments on both legs, you then exercise until you start to hurt really bad in your legs. Then, they lay you down, and stick needles back in the compartments. My resting rate was 17 on two of my compartments in both legs. After exercise, the highest was 81. The doctor who took it said it was one of the higher pressures he has personally taken.

I just got the word today that I will have to have surgery on both of my legs. Starting in March, I'll begin the procedure. It's sad because I'll be out for two months per leg. 4 months total, starting in March. This puts me at the end of my time in Germany, and essentially the end of me playing football until I can get back to normal strength. That's IF the surgery goes well.

If you want to read more about compartment syndrome, check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment_syndrome and the surgery procedure here :nms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciotomy :nms:

I'm unsure how I got it, and why it's so loving bad, but at least it's getting fixed. I have 2 pairs of boots that have one whole day played in them (one SG and one regular). Not being able to play drives me loving insane.

Does anyone else have any history with this that can tell me what I should expect?

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
I've never heard of that before and I can't really say anything useful but I'm really sorry that's happened to you as it sounds really painful and horrible.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

So I finally got word back from my doctor. Surgery is a must.

A normal compartment syndrome test is loving brutal. To break it down, there are four compartments in your lower legs. To test the pressure of the legs, they insert a needle into each of the compartments and test the pressure. To do this, they have to break through the fascia, which cases the muscle. This doesn't stretch, and having to poke through this is not pleasant. After sticking the needles in all four of the compartments on both legs, you then exercise until you start to hurt really bad in your legs. Then, they lay you down, and stick needles back in the compartments. My resting rate was 17 on two of my compartments in both legs. After exercise, the highest was 81. The doctor who took it said it was one of the higher pressures he has personally taken.

I just got the word today that I will have to have surgery on both of my legs. Starting in March, I'll begin the procedure. It's sad because I'll be out for two months per leg. 4 months total, starting in March. This puts me at the end of my time in Germany, and essentially the end of me playing football until I can get back to normal strength. That's IF the surgery goes well.

If you want to read more about compartment syndrome, check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment_syndrome and the surgery procedure here :nms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciotomy :nms:

I'm unsure how I got it, and why it's so loving bad, but at least it's getting fixed. I have 2 pairs of boots that have one whole day played in them (one SG and one regular). Not being able to play drives me loving insane.

Does anyone else have any history with this that can tell me what I should expect?

Are you Airborne by any chance? I had a few mil friends back in the day that swear they developed minor compartment syndrome just from jumps. In any case I hope the surgery goes well, that sounds like an awful condition.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That really sucks Soulex, hope the surgery goes well and you have a full recovery.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Are you Airborne by any chance? I had a few mil friends back in the day that swear they developed minor compartment syndrome just from jumps. In any case I hope the surgery goes well, that sounds like an awful condition.

No I'm not. Like I mentioned, I have no idea how it came about. One day I was fine, went to practice, and the next I'm walking around for PT and it just starts hurting like a mother fucker. I thought it was shin splints for the longest time and was told by my command that I need to get it checked out or they are going to stop being lenient. Months later (Army medicine lol) here I am.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll add the gruesome pics as soon as I get the surgery. I was just hoping someone here had some type of knowledge with it as it affects people who run a lot. So, I guess the next stop is the med sub forum.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Ugh. That's awful. I've heard of that in football players but I hadn't heard of it for soccer before.

Also you're not kidding about that NMS on the surgery link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
And here I was, about to whine about my jammed and swollen thumb.