Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pixeltendo posted:

Has there actually ever been CGI films for adults only?

Final Fantasy is the closest I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Avatar, but for whatever dumb reason people don't count that.

If you want to make an animated movie for adults, you either have to dress it up with enough tech talk that people won't actually know they're watching animation, or just accept that you're aiming at a really small audience and have a small release in theatres and hope people pick it up on DVD.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I'm not expecting a lot from the Ratchet and Clank movie. Apparently the writer of the PS3 trilogy is doing the script and the story and writing of the PS3 trilogy was mediocre at best. Even Cars is written better than the R&C games.

This movie will probably fail in theaters and finish off the franchise once and for all.

Edit: Accidentally hit the post button

Eggie fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 2, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

Because it deals with less adult themes than the average Pixar film.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Yoshifan823 posted:

3d animation isn't mo-capped, it's all up to the devices of the animators. A voice actor's role is important, but in Avatar, and films like it, the motions and expressions of the characters are because of people's actual physical acting.

I'll agree the line isn't entirely clear these days, but I don't think it's unreasonable to not include Avatar.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All joking aside, at some point you need to draw a line of intent, otherwise Gravity falls solidly in the category. "Ah, but it had real faces!" And Happy Feet had real people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think it really does depend on how the movie itself wants to be perceived.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

What I meant is that they caused the perception of 2D animation being for kids, where as 3D Animation has the perception that it's for children as much as adults.

Yeah, I don't see evidence for that really being the case.

I'm assuming now Ratchet and Clank is going to suck. The writing for the PS3 games really mediocre at best, and generally pretty boring. I think the movie would have been much more timely in 2005.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Pixeltendo posted:

Beowulf and 9, if you want to count that. Though to be honest, modern blockbuster films are like 80% CG animation anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
9 could've used more story but dang is that a pretty film :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Speaking of perception and ratings, does anyone else think it's weird that Hunchback of Notre Dame has a "G" rating but Frozen got a "PG"?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It seems like The Nut Job commercials are now Psy-free. I think it was just for New Years/Psy's birthday which is on NYE.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Speaking of perception and ratings, does anyone else think it's weird that Hunchback of Notre Dame has a "G" rating but Frozen got a "PG"?

I think in those days Disney wouldn't accept anything above a G and they had the pull to make sure that happened. These days I just don't think they care as much about getting a PG.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Saeku posted:

I don't think 3D animation has any perception as being "for adults." Pixar movies, arguably. But this is also a medium that contains The Lorax, Nut Job, and a zillion cruddy shoestring-budget Saturday morning cartons.

It's not so much about being "for adults" as something not embarrassing for an adult to like. I went to see Frozen and saw groups of teens without younger siblings or parents. CGI may have dodged that stigma that makes teens not like cartoons for a while because you have to show the world how grown up you are.

Obviously everyone in the thread knows the distinction is hogwash, but I think the theory makes some sense.

By the way, the Nut Job trailer attached to Frozen for me didn't have Psy, if it ever did for anyone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pick posted:

Anything that's not relatively close to each other you can't really compare that easily. Especially with stuff like the PG-13 rating gradually getting more and more explicit and the G rating basically being extinguished all together.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

neonnoodle posted:

Disney is now an intellectual property clearinghouse and media empire, and they need to make probably one movie a year just to keep people thinking that they give even one iota of poo poo about their previous identity as a movie studio.

Their last three animated movies have been as good as anything the company has put out, they'll be fine.

redcheval posted:

For that matter, it's fairly evident that Pixar is at least somewhat removed from what it used to be, post-Disney takeover. The atmosphere there is also apparently more corporate and a little more rigid than it used to be. Obviously that doesn't have much to do with Disney's abandoning 2D, but I don't know if Pixar's vast audience appeal will last forever; I think a lot of that came from a level of creative freedom they had that I'm not really sure persists.

E: not that they're making bad movies, I really enjoyed MU, but Brave wasn't all that great in my opinion and the constant shuffling around of directors and such on projects doesn't look that good either. But there's nothing definitive there yet.

Yeah, with Newt you could joke around and pass the blame on Rio stealing its thunder but both Brave and Good Dinosaur having their directors swapped out mid-production (with obvious effects on the final film in Brave's case) combined with the avalanche of sequels and spinoffs says that there is definitely something up behind the scenes. Brenda Chapman has been fairly honest about her discontent with what the studio has turned into since she left Pixar for Dreamworks.

Pixar has always been highly-demanding, anti-union, and paid less than its competitors because it was a prestige studio and they could choose to be picky. If they don't pick themselves up they're probably going to have a bad case of brain drain because there are more animation studios than ever before and Pixar doesn't have the monoploy on quality CGI movies anymore.

Pixeltendo posted:

Sony is putting out the R-rated Sausage Party in 2015. Hey, at least it can't be worse than Foodfight!, right?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I think Disney having gotten out of the 2D business might indirectly be the best thing that ever happened to the medium in the West.

Take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_traditional_animated_feature_films
When the Disney renaissance was going on, there were practically NO adult-audience animated features being made outside of Japan. After Disney stopped regularly releasing tentpole 2D features, here are some of the movies that have been made in the U.S. and Europe in the past 10 years:

- Triplets of Belleville
- The Illusionist
- The Rabbi's Cat
- Chico & Rita
- My Dog Tulip
- Idiots & Angels
- Hair High
- Sita Sings the Blues
- Waltz With Bashir
- Persepolis

Granted they're all artsy indie releases and not mass-market, but I think there's a phenomenon that the biggest player in the business sets the public's perception of a medium and its audience. Right now there are practically no CG features for more adult audiences, and I think it might be for a similar reason.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think that has less to do with Disney getting out of traditional animation and more to do with the rise of indie films and it becoming easier to make an animated movie on a lower budget.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

I think that has less to do with Disney getting out of traditional animation and more to do with the rise of indie films and it becoming easier to make an animated movie on a lower budget.

Yeah, this would be my suspicion. Computers changed traditional animation a lot, too.

By the way, Jennifer Hager was on Frozen, and I remember her from her Youtube demo reel ages ago. She's on her way to the top it seems :3:.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pick posted:

Not as weird as R rated movies getting kid shows and toys. :v:

Through the closest thing I can think of in modern times is The dark knight coloring book, when the movie itself...is more for adult in themes and violences than the for 'ages 4 and up' book implies.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I also think the bean counters realized that a PG rating just for some dang reason gets more money, up to - I think it was Pride and Prejudice, or something Jane Austen where they had someone mouth "drat" in the background to bump it from G to PG despite having no story purpose for it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Pick posted:

I would guess that this is on purpose. Back in the day, they never ever wanted anything more than a G rating because they thought they'd alienate the children and people prone to fainting. Nowadays the golden rating is PG-13 because it's the "boy movie" rating -- it doesn't have the stigma of being for babies. Disney already renamed both its Rapunzel and Snow Queen movies to make them more appealing to boys, and I bet they deliberately got a PG for the same reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

neonnoodle posted:

I would guess that this is on purpose. Back in the day, they never ever wanted anything more than a G rating because they thought they'd alienate the children and people prone to fainting. Nowadays the golden rating is PG-13 because it's the "boy movie" rating -- it doesn't have the stigma of being for babies. Disney already renamed both its Rapunzel and Snow Queen movies to make them more appealing to boys, and I bet they deliberately got a PG for the same reason.

I think the PG thing is more just that it's incredibly easy to get one. Like, Frozen is "Rated PG for some action and mild rude humor " according to the MPAA. There's not really a lot I can think of that fits in "rude humor" other than Olaf telling them to watch out for his butt, and while there's action it's not really any more than what's in (e.g.) Tarzan, a film that was rated G in 1999.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Macaluso posted:

This kind of thing is Blue Sky's curse (though I loved Horton Hears a Who and the first Ice Age). "Mediocre movie but pretty animation" should be their official slogan.

Weren't they supposed to be doing a Peanuts movie or something? I remember hearing something like that a few years ago but nothing since.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Well that was mocap blended with live action, so I could imagine people would consider it more a live-action movie with animated elements than the other way around.

If you're going for pure CG though, there's Beowulf.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 3, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Eggie posted:

I'm not expecting a lot from the Ratchet and Clank movie. Apparently the writer of the PS3 trilogy is doing the script and the story and writing of the PS3 trilogy was mediocre at best. Even Cars is written better than the R&C games.

This movie will probably fail in theaters and finish off the franchise once and for all.

Edit: Accidentally hit the post button
The games are still fun so I hope that the franchise doesn't die at least.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Macaluso posted:

I liked Kung Fu Panda 2 MORE than the first to be honest! Lord Shen was awesome, and the cannonball and raindrop scenes were so good

Plus I love the character designs and Tigress kicks rear end
I have a confession to make - I have *not* seen the original Kung Fu Panda. I adored Dreamworks' Prince of Egypt and later on, How to Train Your Dragon, but everything in between (except maybe the first Shrek movie) I've either avoided or hated. I took one look at the trailer for it with the stupid smirking panda and the Instantly Recognizable Celebrity Voices and was turned right the gently caress off.

Was it actually good? Bear in mind - I loving hate Madagascar with the fire of a thousand suns.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think it's generally accepted around here that the Kung Fu Panda movies (alongside How To Train Your Dragon) are some of the best stuff Dreamworks has done. Seriously go watch it, it's a great movie.

The celebrity voices I forgot were even celebrities pretty quick. As recognizable as Jack Black is, I hear him as Po, and not Jack Black. Same for all the other characters with maybe the exception of Seth Rogen as Mantis

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kung Fu Panda is basically a really good Kung Fu Movie starring Jack Black in a capacity where even if you don't like him, he's still pretty likeable.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

AnimeJune posted:

I have a confession to make - I have *not* seen the original Kung Fu Panda. I adored Dreamworks' Prince of Egypt and later on, How to Train Your Dragon, but everything in between (except maybe the first Shrek movie) I've either avoided or hated. I took one look at the trailer for it with the stupid smirking panda and the Instantly Recognizable Celebrity Voices and was turned right the gently caress off.

Was it actually good? Bear in mind - I loving hate Madagascar with the fire of a thousand suns.

Yeah, there's obviously no guarantee that you'll like it but it's a really well-made movie and generally considered pretty funny. The designs are great and the animation is fantastic too. Definitely worth a single watch at the least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kung Fu Panda is, in my mind, far and away the best thing Dreamworks has done. I like the second one as well, albeit less so. It's good, it just doesn't feel like it brings anything new to the table.

That said... the hardcore do understand :qq:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Big Hero 6 has directors attached.

Chris Williams and Don Hall are co-directing and Roy Conli is producing.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
Can't wait for the trailer to come out so we can all complain about it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Eggie posted:

Pretty certain this will happen. Ever since Tools of Destruction started aping animation movies (they actually had background music in cutscenes for the first time), I feared this would happen. Too bad R&C is not only badly written, but also always had incredibly bland and uninteresting characters, aliens, enemies and whatnot.

Seriously. Like, 90% of all enemies are robot torsos. The true stars of the series have ALWAYS been the weapons, and I highly doubt they can make the entire movie about that.

Also, the very first teaser actually made a god-awful "hur hur, don't piss off the animators, 'cause they are GODS" joke. Not a good sign, if you ask me.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Pretty certain this will happen. Ever since Tools of Destruction started aping animation movies (they actually had background music in cutscenes for the first time), I feared this would happen. Too bad R&C is not only badly written, but also always had incredibly bland and uninteresting characters, aliens, enemies and whatnot.

Seriously. Like, 90% of all enemies are robot torsos. The true stars of the series have ALWAYS been the weapons, and I highly doubt they can make the entire movie about that.

Also, the very first teaser actually made a god-awful "hur hur, don't piss off the animators, 'cause they are GODS" joke. Not a good sign, if you ask me.

I'm afraid to start a derail with this, but have we been playing the same games? I mean it's probably a difference in taste, but the way I saw it, everything in that series (the main series at least), from the weapons to the characters to the aliens, had this goofy charm that was always fun as hell.

I remember seeing some behind the scenes footage where the developers designed several enemies in A Crack in Time to reflect stereotypical high school cliques, like with the big scaly warrior-race aliens acting like jocks that pushed around the big-headed, nerdy aliens. Stuff like that is why I love the series. Sure the aliens tended to be generic with less depth than one would find in, say, Star Trek. But it was always good light-hearted fun regardless.

Hell, I thought A Crack in Time had some pretty decent writing and humor for a video game, especially with the plot surrounding Dr. Nefarious and Azimuth.

I mean, I'm not expecting Pixar-level stuff from this movie, but if it's as fun as the games are, then that's fine by me.

Plus I the trailer got a laugh out of me, as corny as it was. :shobon:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Torquemadras posted:

The true stars of the series have ALWAYS been the weapons, and I highly doubt they can make the entire movie about that.

This might be the biggest problem with the Ratchet and Clank film. The franchise is known for its over-the-top PG-rated carnage and I'm guessing the film creators will tone back the violence because a straight-up adaptation of R&C's cartoony violence would be too controversial. Take out the violence and what you're left with is a cliche-ridden story that's not going to appeal to many viewers.

Best case scenario is the creators do make the film as action-crazy as the games so parents can take their children to see Ratchet's Intergalactic Massacre.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Why is the tone for the Lego movie in the OP so negative? I love the pseudo-stopmotion animation style, the cast is talented, and all of the marketing points to an over-the-top comedic romp--something the director does well. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is hilarious.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Why is the tone for the Lego movie in the OP so negative? I love the pseudo-stopmotion animation style, the cast is talented, and all of the marketing points to an over-the-top comedic romp--something the director does well. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is hilarious.

Because I've found all the trailers to be really unfunny and obnoxious. As I said in the OP, only the pedigree is giving me any hope at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only joke that I really liked was the Abe Lincoln one, if there's lots of that then I'm gold.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I think it's pretty funny when you realize that the reason everything's so simple is because it's just a story some kids make up when they're playing with Legos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think the Lego trailer looks pretty great and the people and voices behind it is just icing on the cake V:shobon:V I was surprised by he negative description in the OP as well

Probably the only joke I didn't like was the girl going "That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard" and then Morgan Freeman Lego going "Let me handle this. That idea was just the worst" but it was clearly not in response to the bunk-couch and was just cut weird

• Locked thread