Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

amuayse posted:

How do I stop people from flipping over the counter, stunning me, and stealing my ID as HoP?

Club'em in the head with an O2 Cylinder while they're still on the counter until they're unconcious/winded/stunned, and replace their ID with one labelled "FAILURE" that has no access at all. Toss them in the garbage chute and politely ask the AI to make sure they get out okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Jack the Smack posted:

How about limit the jobs of people who aren't members of the SA forums? That way we can still have pubbies, but they wont be able to become the traitor or wizard or syndicate or captain or chief engineer, but they can still be an assistant or civilian.

No. HELL NO.

Captain Bravo posted:

More evidence of Space Station 13 creeping into real life:

Space Lube, An Introspective

I kinda want to add a traitor-chef spraycan full of cooking spray (9999u each of space lube and grease) now...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I kinda want to add a traitor-chef spraycan full of cooking spray (9999u each of space lube and grease) now...

Let the traitor-chef combine it with a lighter in the other hand for a cheap and nasty flamethrower :unsmigghh:.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

You should be able to combine a watering can + syringe + emergency oxygen tank to get something like a hypospray crossed with a syringe. Injects either an adjustable amount maybe or some huge amount (60? 120?) of whatever you want into the person you inject, but has the injection delay like a syringe so they can move away. Maybe have it inject faster based on the tank pressure? Pop off the tank and refill by pouring things into the watering can!

Ok this is a little much. Make it the Slaughtering Can, paint it red, give it to traitor Botanists with the bottomless ability to inject 120 units of random chems. Maybe it has to feed on corpses to refuel or has a decent cooldown or something?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Ok this is a little much. Make it the Slaughtering Can, paint it red, give it to traitor Botanists with the bottomless ability to inject 120 units of random chems. Maybe it has to feed on corpses to refuel or has a decent cooldown or something?

Making it feed on corpses encourages artistic-toolbox style boring rampages.
Instead have it be reloaded using plants. It injects whatever reagent you've managed to breed your plants to produce.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Since the subject is kind of on lovely idea, how much trouble would a non-traitor head get into if they started a protection racket? Something like, giving the AI a law to make the borgs help out, and demand random items from crew members in exchange for their continued safety. If they don't comply, then push them over and fart on them, or hit them once and run or something. Nothing dangerous or lethal, mind you, just as a way to see what people would be willing to give.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Given that's literally a miscreant objective, I think it'd be okay so long as you don't actually murder anyone over it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I just want a high capacity injector that's available to traitors and non traitors alike.

Like a gigantic novelty syringe that injects 50 units at a time.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
As an experiment I bolted open my upload and the airbridge as AI (I like to have an open-door policy :shobon:)

Nobody even came to visit. :smith:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Motherfucker posted:

I just want a high capacity injector that's available to traitors and non traitors alike.

Doesn't a hypospray have a 50 unit capacity with the option to dump all of its contents in a single pop?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
30 units, and it has to be emagged before you can use anything but helpful chems in it.

Readster
Dec 19, 2013
Sleepy pens hold 100 units and inject 50 at a time.
It's also available to everyone so waste the starting chem on a monkey and have fun.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

Why not use pills? Those can hold quite a bit and they already have a built-in delay.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

amuayse posted:

How do I stop people from flipping over the counter, stunning me, and stealing my ID as HoP?
I know *flip is cute and everything and wrassling and all but being able to flip over reinforced tables more or less completely defeats the purpose of reinforced tables existing.

Would it be possible to add something made from rglass called a Transfer Window or something? Transfer Windows can be put on top of tables and permit objects but not people to be put on the table (whether by flipping or tabling). Add transfer windows to the HoP office, Public Market, Security Annex, Medbay, the area between Medbay/Chemistry, and maybe some at the entrances to other departments. Just as breakable as regular rglass so if you really wanted to hop the table into the HoP's office you could, but not without giving him pretty fair warning as you pound the window with a fire extinguisher.

Oh and make this not apply to monkeys, who can flip-scamper right through Transfer Windows. Because shenanigans are fine if it's a monkey doing it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So I finally got the armor+crown. I was able to patch up after the armor initially connected and tore some of my skin off, but I was fine afterwards. Does the armor negate the crown's damage?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nakar posted:

I know *flip is cute and everything and wrassling and all but being able to flip over reinforced tables more or less completely defeats the purpose of reinforced tables existing.

Would it be possible to add something made from rglass called a Transfer Window or something? Transfer Windows can be put on top of tables and permit objects but not people to be put on the table (whether by flipping or tabling). Add transfer windows to the HoP office, Public Market, Security Annex, Medbay, the area between Medbay/Chemistry, and maybe some at the entrances to other departments. Just as breakable as regular rglass so if you really wanted to hop the table into the HoP's office you could, but not without giving him pretty fair warning as you pound the window with a fire extinguisher.

Oh and make this not apply to monkeys, who can flip-scamper right through Transfer Windows. Because shenanigans are fine if it's a monkey doing it.

QM and Mechanics have sliding windows like the medbay doors. Why not just put them on the HoP's office if people flipping in is a problem?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dabir posted:

QM and Mechanics have sliding windows like the medbay doors. Why not just put them on the HoP's office if people flipping in is a problem?

You can flip into the window (but not out).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So have them inside-out?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dabir posted:

So have them inside-out?

But that looks dumb, and if you do that QM wouldn't be able to transfer items without opening the window first which is just wrong.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Uh, doesn't being able to flip through a solid object sound like something that should be considered a bug in the first place?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The glass doors for restricting access like that are a pain anyway. It's another needless click with BYOND lag. Furthermore a sliding glass door like that, ironically, makes a station even more secure than if there was a loving airlock on it, since you can't hack glass doors, nor destroy them with anything less than a concussive blast. I would be all sorts of OK with a 'deposit window' where you could place items through it but not be able to flip/be thrown/etc through it that could be broken down the same as a reinforced window could.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah, the glass doors are annoying for many reasons. The ones Coolguye touched on are big ones, as well as the general non-functionality of them. My goal is to prevent "this reinforced table designed to keep people on one side of it is literally useless," not force people to break out a pipe bomb just to get into the HoP's office. The fewer glass doors on the station the better.

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Future #1 Forums Superstar
Words cannot express the disappointment I felt when, after hours over the course of the last two week meticulously constructing a table of all possible splicing combinations, their chances of success, seed genomes, dominant vs. recessive gene splicing combinations, and then spending whole rounds applying that information towards creating weed that explodes you when you smoke it, that it only explodes when you roll the joint, not smoke it. A single tear feel from my cheek irl as i lay there with no arms, realizing that I had only succeeded in grifing myself.

Serious talk though, that poo poo is a gigantic pain in the rear end to splice across the genome spectrum like that. If a botanist goes through the effort, I think a fair pay off is those things working like expected. Weed that explodes when you smoke it, exploding apples that make exploding apple pie, exploding avocados that make exploding guacamole...and you know, healing fruit that makes healing food or whatever other boring poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It's not too difficult to make a good healing joint. Shivering Contusine already gives you brute healing, resistance to suffocation, and resistance to health slows in just one plant. You can also splice that with Venne to add charcoal to the mix, but charcoal's tendency to amplify the decay of anything that's not charcoal means that you tend to run out of salbutamol and painkiller. Nureous leaves will also get you potassium iodine in the mix, which gives you radiation resistance.

There's theoretically a number of other things you can do, as I'm sure you know, but the more you splice with other seeds the less product you get per leaf of output, which is a problem.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's been a while since I've tinkered in Botany, but can't you put together an assortment of reagents that forms something flammable? Black Powder, or Napalm or something? That should only ignite once the person lights the jay.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
So today I learned that my workplace apparently plays one of the saxophone songs over our intercom

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Coolguye posted:

It's not too difficult to make a good healing joint. Shivering Contusine already gives you brute healing, resistance to suffocation, and resistance to health slows in just one plant. You can also splice that with Venne to add charcoal to the mix, but charcoal's tendency to amplify the decay of anything that's not charcoal means that you tend to run out of salbutamol and painkiller. Nureous leaves will also get you potassium iodine in the mix, which gives you radiation resistance.

There's theoretically a number of other things you can do, as I'm sure you know, but the more you splice with other seeds the less product you get per leaf of output, which is a problem.

I thought shivering contusine has curare in it?

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, you can get those things by extracting chemicals from the plants, but what I'm talking about it those chems transferring into products made from that fruit or plant. For example, if I splice across the spectrum over 30 minutes to eventually be able to splice shivering contusine into an apple, then use that apple to make a pie, that should be an awesome healing pie. As it stands, it turns into just a regular pie. Splicing weed into fruit requires a ton of effort, because in order to "pull" it up the genome spectrum, you're not only chain splicing intermediate seeds, you have to make sure it's STAYING weed by only splicing dominant weed seeds with recessive intermediate seeds up the chain. So let's say you splice weed into avocados, well when you use those avocados to make guacamole, they don't contain any reagents from the weed. There could be many reasons this isn't in the game, but off the top of my head this seems like it would be a cool thing, to have ingredients carry reagents into food. It'd create a cool synergy between botany and the kitchen other than "BOTANY SEND SUGAR PLS" all game and botanists ignoring it because their busy. If a tricky botanist wanted to send sugar laced with a cool poison he spliced in, then that sugar gets used to make a cake, which gets eaten by the crew, I think that'd be a bad rear end botanist.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar

Tibbeh posted:

So today I learned that my workplace apparently plays one of the saxophone songs over our intercom

You've got the Eurovision sax man song, Baker Street, God Only Knows (by the Beach Boys), Careless Whisper, and that somber sax solo that someone linked to many, many pages back whose name I forgot. The Eurovision and Careless Whisper seem unlikely to be played over the intercom, the somber solo too... somber, so maybe that narrows it down?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I thought shivering contusine has curare in it?

That's Quivering Continsine. Different mutation.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

How does one flip over a counter?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Like this:

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

I walked into that one. :cripes:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You can hit the R key to do a quick flip. It's pretty great to just run around the station spinning.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

For stuff like botany splicing mischief, if you're disappointed that a cool idea didn't work out, just post what you were hoping to do and maybe that functionality will mysteriously arrive later.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm still disappointed that when a plant mutates after harvesting, all the seeds and produce from it pick up the same (almost always negative) mutations. Right as I isolate and prepare to splice useful gene sequences, I always get lovely ones added in. :negative:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

For stuff like botany splicing mischief, if you're disappointed that a cool idea didn't work out, just post what you were hoping to do and maybe that functionality will mysteriously arrive later.

Can we get a mutation of some plant that allows us to get Phosphorous? There's all sorts of fun stuff that might happen if we could get that.

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I was chain-splicing weed into fruit hoping that some reagents present in fruit would cause an explosion when the weed was smoked. It turned out that the reagents did cause an explosion, but only when you actually rolled the joint, not smoke it.

I think what my request boils down to is that I think it would be a great idea if reagents carried over from plants and ingredients into the food product they are used in. Apples spliced with THC make for an awesome pie that gets you stoned as fuk.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Recently while I was chef someone made Omega Weed and sent a ton of it down the chute to the kitchen. I took that poo poo, extracted the reagents from two leaves into the bar man's large beaker, dumped everything into the fryer, lightly fried an omega leaf, baked it into a cake, then finally topped it off with THC frosting. It was my finest baking creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
In situations where there is someone in immediate danger of being killed and you only have lethal weapons available to do a safe takedown, what is the proper course of action?

• Locked thread