Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress that Taco Bell commercial with the kid running away from his girlfriend's day.

A third of it is because that song (is it two songs? I can't tell if it's just a single, weird, disjointed song or two) sucks, and third is because it just airs SO drat MUCH, and the last third is because the narrator really slurs over the words "her parents come home early" so for several days (which was probably about 100 views of the commercial,) I thought he was saying "because your parents come home early" which made no sense.

Same here. At first I just assumed it was supposed to be amusing because his parents caught him doing something, I guess, but then on the third or fourth viewing I realized the guy was saying HER parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress that Taco Bell commercial with the kid running away from his girlfriend's day.

A third of it is because that song (is it two songs? I can't tell if it's just a single, weird, disjointed song or two) sucks, and third is because it just airs SO drat MUCH, and the last third is because the narrator really slurs over the words "her parents come home early" so for several days (which was probably about 100 views of the commercial,) I thought he was saying "because your parents come home early" which made no sense.

It's actually one song by Portugal the Man. That commercial is pretty bad though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Peggle is just virtual pachinko, that doesn't seem like the best game to take a stand on originality over.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I would like to ring in the new year by nominating this as-seen-on-TV thing as worse than even the bacon bowls (they're both going to end in tears, but with the bacon bowls you are only harming people who are fully aware that they are eating stuff out of a bowl made of bacon and willingly doing so). Every single thing about this is upsetting. :ohdear:

(Best/worst part: the "Bird Expert".)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I love the NuWave Cooktop commercial when it asks, "Are you too busy to watch what you're cooking?"

If you answered yes, THEN STAY OUT OF THE loving KITCHEN!

It's one thing to throw the food in the oven and let it cook. But if you're using the cooktop, hang up the loving phone a second and pay attention.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 2, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btdgVlNT2mc&list=PLC32EA787215EC61E

/dupstop noise

yolo

/dupstep noise

yolo

/dupstep noise

yolo

EVERY. loving. COMMERCIAL. BREAK.

STOP.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Rahonavis posted:

I would like to ring in the new year by nominating this as-seen-on-TV thing as worse than even the bacon bowls (they're both going to end in tears, but with the bacon bowls you are only harming people who are fully aware that they are eating stuff out of a bowl made of bacon and willingly doing so). Every single thing about this is upsetting. :ohdear:

Oh God, this is truly horrible. How many poor baby birds are going to die when the suction cups come unstuck? I've never had a single thing attached by cups ever stay stuck for more than a week. This is the kind of poo poo that ignorant suburbanites buy for their kids, and there's going to be a lot of "mommy what happened to the birdies?" discussions come Spring.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Stairs posted:

Oh God, this is truly horrible. How many poor baby birds are going to die when the suction cups come unstuck? I've never had a single thing attached by cups ever stay stuck for more than a week. This is the kind of poo poo that ignorant suburbanites buy for their kids, and there's going to be a lot of "mommy what happened to the birdies?" discussions come Spring.

Never mind that birds + windows = tragedy. It's going to inspire some "teachable moments" that's for sure; just not the ones well-meaning parents are expecting. (Though note that the No Privacy Birdhouses we see with nests and babies in them are staged as all hell. The only birds we actually see using the drat things are domestic canaries... that the commercial helpfully identifies as three different species of wild birds. :eng99: )

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I noticed some really fun wording in movie commercials recently. Both August: Osage County and Mandela Long Walk to Freedom both use the phrase "winner" when talking about nominations. As in they've both "won" nominations for Best Picture.

Ha ha, looks like I'm not the only one who noticed this.

http://www.thewrap.com/HFPA-Misleading-Golden-Globes-Ads

quote:

Kingma told TheWrap that the email was sent on Tuesday afternoon to “a select group of publicists we work with throughout the year.” After stating that it is “entirely appropriate” to reference Globe nominations in ads, Kingma wrote in the email, “[W]e have recently seen several instances in which the word ‘Winner’ was used too prominently in publicity and advertising to describe nominees.

“While earning a nomination is certainly an honor and one to be celebrated, it is not a ‘win’ and using that term or terms similar to it is likely to mislead the public and diminish the excitement around the awards show, when the winners will be revealed.”

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
"Let's make an ad campaign featuring a mentally ill homeless man, and loads of ethnic stereotypes." - An important person at Vonage had this thought.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Over the course of about an hour this afternoon, I saw ads for Bubble Witch Saga, Pet Rescue Saga and whatever that thing is that's based on Peggle. It's amazing how much shittier they all looked compared to the free MSN games. That said, I still can't get over there being a board game version of Bejeweled.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Now that EA owns Popcap I wouldn't be surprised at seeing poo poo like that in Peggle 2, though. Plants vs. Zombies 2 is already microtransactioned out the wazoo.

I played the holy gently caress out of PvZ1, and was so excited to play 2...

Literally every single aspect of the game is microtransactioned/free to play but easier to buy. There are tap-the-screen powers, cost real life money. The seeds can be earned, or cost real money. Every stage has an offshoot path of stages, that you can grind an unlocked level for keys(which never drop), or you can pay real money. When you beat the world and go to move on to the next one, guess what, keys or real money. All of the cool seeds from the first game? Cost real money.

gently caress.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Rahonavis posted:

I have no idea if the same company made it but my family got one of those birdhouses when I was a kid. It worked I suppose; I mean it stayed attached and some birds did indeed build a nest in it.

The problem was that the birds stuffed the drat thing so full of nesting that you couldn't see them in there at all. I guess they didn't like being watched. Maybe the privacy screen would have helped, since it wasn't included back then but honestly I doubt it would've made a difference. With a bunch of people peeking at the nest several times a day the birds probably would've done the same thing.

You know what, I might've lucked out. Baby birds are kinda horrific looking and usually don't all survive. Next visit I oughta ask my parents how gross the inside of the birdhouse was when they finally took it down...

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

rotinaj posted:

I played the holy gently caress out of PvZ1, and was so excited to play 2...

Literally every single aspect of the game is microtransactioned/free to play but easier to buy. There are tap-the-screen powers, cost real life money. The seeds can be earned, or cost real money. Every stage has an offshoot path of stages, that you can grind an unlocked level for keys(which never drop), or you can pay real money. When you beat the world and go to move on to the next one, guess what, keys or real money. All of the cool seeds from the first game? Cost real money.

gently caress.

I recall hearing that this is just for the mobile release and when they do the PC release it will be a full retail product instead of freemium but who the gently caress knows these days.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

SpookyLizard posted:

That loving Zappos ad annoys the poo poo out of me. You can buy stuff online! It's so easy, you'll dance when you receive your name brand clothing. Look at this kid being overly excited about absolutely plain looking sneakers.

This reflects their overly-enthusiastic corporate culture. It's really cult-y, as even the execs will acknowledge.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I recall hearing that this is just for the mobile release and when they do the PC release it will be a full retail product instead of freemium but who the gently caress knows these days.

The latest update removed the gates and keys, so all the levels are linear now. They still have microtranactions, you just dont have to grind levels anymore.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

This sudden flood of ASPCA ads sure is making me want to help animals by committing mass murder alright.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Okay, just saw a new Cottonelle ad with the pregnant British lady, and there really isn't a way for her to say, "I need a clean alley every time," without it being some kind of pegging/rimming double entendre.

Use Cottonelle baby adult wipes so a pregger British stranger can put things in your butt!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I wasn't sold on Cottonelle before but I am now.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Those bears' obsession with toilet paper is getting out of hand imo

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Grin and Tonic posted:

Those bears' obsession with toilet paper is getting out of hand imo

I'm borderline obsessive about those drat bears, they're such a fascinating example of how far removed an ad campaign can become from its roots.

It started out as a joke on bears doing what they're known for doing in the woods. Nothing too complicated but it was amusing and memorable enough. Then one by one they kept adding weird new elements until you end up with talking, house-dwelling bears who do laundry despite not wearing clothes (and somehow get skidmarks in their non-worn underwear) and who apparently change color depending on what they're wiping with that day. These bears beat out most kids' cereal mascots for their convoluted evolution.

"Sweet Mother of Softness..."

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Speaking of ad campaigns getting far removed from their starting point, I think those ads for The General car insurance finally dropped the penguin in their newest commercial. IIRC the penguin was just an animal in one of the commercials and then suddenly he was the constant sidekick of the CGI cartoon General for no meaningful reason. They got so far from the commercial he was originally in that there was no rhyme or reason for the General to be hanging out with a penguin, and yet there he was with no explanation, a callback to a long-forgotten ad in the series.

Edit: It's like people have talked about in this thread, where the Kit Kat commercials went so long without the actual "Gimme a break..." jingle that there had to be people wondering what the spliced-together eating and crunching noises were supposed to be.

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 4, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The General is obviously the Ice King in disguise and the penguin is Gunter. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh my god, gently caress eHarmony's new commercial with an annoying little girl talking to the super old founder.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Oh my god, gently caress eHarmony's new commercial with an annoying little girl talking to the super old founder.

Apart from eHarmony's dodgy "Well our algorithm just doesn't WORK for gay people" element, those commercials are just annoyingly smug as gently caress and so is the founder.

Also I never used to have terribly strong opinions on the song "Everlasting Love" but I now kinda hate it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apart from eHarmony's dodgy "Well our algorithm just doesn't WORK for gay people" element, those commercials are just annoyingly smug as gently caress and so is the founder.

Also I never used to have terribly strong opinions on the song "Everlasting Love" but I now kinda hate it.

I was on eharmony for a while and it's poo poo. Basically you can't search and the matches it gives you are for profiles that either aren't subscribers or haven't been active in months

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apart from eHarmony's dodgy "Well our algorithm just doesn't WORK for gay people" element

It doesn't work (very well) for non-African minorities either from what I've been told. Of course, that could just be the result of a small pool of such people using it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Maxwell Lord posted:

Don't forget that they think atheists don't deserve everlasting love, either. On a whim, I tried to sign up and got the "you are among the 20% of people we can't match" message. Went back and re-did the survey and chose a Christian religion and they nearly fell over themselves with matches.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I honestly hate those commercials where they do the "Hidden Camera" stuff like "We replaced this guy's $50 steak with a steak from Walmart."

Its got to be scripted to all hell, if I bought a fancy cut of steak and got something that I could get at home instead I'd be pissed off, not surprised and happy.

I don't see them that often lately so maybe they got the hint that they come off as scummy.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Phobic Nest posted:

I'm borderline obsessive about those drat bears, they're such a fascinating example of how far removed an ad campaign can become from its roots.

It started out as a joke on bears doing what they're known for doing in the woods. Nothing too complicated but it was amusing and memorable enough. Then one by one they kept adding weird new elements until you end up with talking, house-dwelling bears who do laundry despite not wearing clothes (and somehow get skidmarks in their non-worn underwear) and who apparently change color depending on what they're wiping with that day. These bears beat out most kids' cereal mascots for their convoluted evolution.

"Sweet Mother of Softness..."

Not to mention that they went from being hand-drawn to lovely RenderMan blobs, unless I'm massively misremembering the original commercials.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

dpbjinc posted:

Not to mention that they went from being hand-drawn to lovely RenderMan blobs, unless I'm massively misremembering the original commercials.

You are not.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apart from eHarmony's dodgy "Well our algorithm just doesn't WORK for gay people" element

Didn't they have to make a gay counterpart service for New Jersey because of some civil rights law and it turned out it worked just fine?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Out of curiosity, what ads do you guys happen to like or find effective?

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzS9SxDLFlk

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Boywhiz88 posted:

None. Literally none. I mean, there are funny or interesting ads out there, but I can't recall ever wanting to purchase or see something based on just an ad, even if I liked it (past childhood, I mean).

Two ads that have always stuck with me though:

One of the hilarious Little Ceasars ads from their mid 90's bubble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFWTBlEooFU

Sega ad for Joe Montana Football:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GTwZViwKMk

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 5, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

None. Literally none. I mean, there are funny or interesting ads out there, but I can't recall ever wanting to purchase or see something based on just an ad, even if I liked it (past childhood, I mean).

Fair enough. I just figured if there are ads people hate, there might be some that people like. I definitely find modern ad campaigns to be grating. Growing up, my brothers had taped episodes of 80s cartoons like GI Joe and Transformer, I always enjoyed the ads for the toys and cereal of that era to be more fun.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boywhiz88 posted:

Ads I find effective describe a product that fills a need, even better if it's a "need I didn't know I had." These are not normally the same as ads that I enjoy.

For entertainment, Snowbot is one of the threads favorite ads, and my favorite of all time is probably this Nutrigrain ad.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Fair enough. I just figured if there are ads people hate, there might be some that people like.

We used to have an "ads people like" thread, it lasted for a couple of months but eventually fell into archives. Ads people hate is just a much juicier topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This Nike ad is one of my favorite commercials of all time. It didn't make me want to buy the shoes, but it's funny, exciting, and tells a little story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47tlFVBA130