Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Question: When Stan and Roger were going to the North Pole, was one of the swimmers on Roger's "boat" dead? I could have sworn one wasn't moving.

Yes. He'd turned blue and wasn't moving. It was a visual gag that apparently a bunch of people missed (I saw the same question a bunch of times in the AV Club review comments).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Hahah poo poo I missed that, I just thought it was an off-the-wall albino joke since I didn't see the closed eyes. Hahah god, this loving episode. :neckbeard: GIFT, KEEPS GIVING.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I wanted a heavily 'musical' episode of AD for so long. This is close enough to my dream that it counts.

AD Xmas episodes are just the best. This wasn't an instant favourite but I liked it a lot. I also thought it was cool how they explored an unusual theme for a Christmas episode. Also a lot of great gags. Both bits with different walls cracked me up.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Davros1 posted:

Question: When Stan and Roger were going to the North Pole, was one of the swimmers on Roger's "boat" dead? I could have sworn one wasn't moving.

Yes. The one in the back was pale-white and dead. I think I was the only person in the thread who actually mentioned it.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I want an episode where Steve and the Asstones get signed and go on tour.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just recently started getting into this but that was one of the best Christmas episodes of anything I've ever seen.

The magically alive knife being thrown into the magically alive wall was hilarious, and also the slitting of the trash bags neck hahaha. Also the music was pretty rad too :black101:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Conquistador posted:

I just recently started getting into this but that was one of the best Christmas episodes of anything I've ever seen.

The magically alive knife being thrown into the magically alive wall was hilarious, and also the slitting of the trash bags neck hahaha. Also the music was pretty rad too :black101:

Find the episode from a few years ago called Rapture's Delight. It's even better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah as far as AD Christmas episodes go I'd rank it fourth. Above the anti-Christ and time travel one but below Raptures Delight, Santapocolypse and the one where Stan goes to Heaven.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah as far as AD Christmas episodes go I'd rank it fourth. Above the anti-Christ and time travel one but below Raptures Delight, Santapocolypse and the one where Stan goes to Heaven.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I love the anti-christ one only for Roland Chang, super positive Asian.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Fun episode. Didn't even mind the singing!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

FACT: Krampus is an Austrian thing, not a German (Bavarian) thing.

FACT: Germany and Austria don't have a Santa. Instead the spirit of childrens' purity gives you presents... or something.

Has the meaning of FACT changed while I was not on the internet for a week? It sure looks that way.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Tarquinn posted:

Has the meaning of FACT changed while I was not on the internet for a week? It sure looks that way.

On the internet, I thought it's always been a way for douchebags to feel superior when they make a post, regardless of the legitimacy of the information.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We need more B12 action.

Captain Yesterday
Oct 8, 2007

Now it's time to do my people's native dance "DO THE HUSTLE"

Metropolis posted:

I wanted a heavily 'musical' episode of AD for so long. This is close enough to my dream that it counts.

AD Xmas episodes are just the best. This wasn't an instant favourite but I liked it a lot. I also thought it was cool how they explored an unusual theme for a Christmas episode. Also a lot of great gags. Both bits with different walls cracked me up.

The hot tub episode was pretty musical.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Why did Hailey give Nemo to Sarah Palin? That seems like the last person she would want to raise him.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Zero One posted:

Why did Hailey give Nemo to Sarah Palin? That seems like the last person she would want to raise him.

Because it was funny.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Zero One posted:

Wasn't the joke that he was going to be an evil person quickly rising in political power? You need the Sarah Palin angle explained?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Aside from just a diss on Sarah Palin, maybe a dig at her son Trig who was the butt of a lot jokes there for a while in the media.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of the AntiChrist, I didn't notice this the first time I saw the two episodes with him, but on doing a "American Dad Christmas Special Re-Watch" this year I noticed it.

After Nemo is given to Palin, he flips over his PJs to make upside-down crosses, and then his outfit when we see him as an adult is very similar:

Young Anti-Christ/Nemo

Old Anti-Christ.

And his voice is basically identical, too.

It even explains why Stan shot that kid when he and Jesus first get to the building. He sort of looks like Nemo, and that's the memory of the Anti-Christ Stan has in his head.

Edit: Not actually the same VA, though. Andy Samberg guest-starred as the Anti-Christ in "Rapture's Delight," and Murray Millar did him as Nemo.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 30, 2013

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is not relevant all, but I really find it weird that the cross of St. Peter became a symbol for the antichrist.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

cjg posted:

Wasn't the joke that he was going to be an evil person quickly rising in political power? You need the Sarah Palin angle explained?
Well since the episode is an homage to The Omen, making a joke about the ending is pretty appropriate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Air is lava! posted:

This is not relevant all, but I really find it weird that the cross of St. Peter became a symbol for the antichrist.

If I remember correctly, its one of those things that Anton Levay took on as part of his Church of Satan thing. And Fundie Christians not realizing its just another version of Randism and thought it was literally a church of Satan, they see everything from it as being truly satanic.

I could be wrong though, but most things thought of as Satanic today are more related to pop culture than any actual form of Satan worship, mostly because there has never truly been organized serious Satanic cults.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Air is lava! posted:

It's coincidence. The Petrine cross wasn't taken and it's meaning twisted to form a symbol for Satanism or the Anti-Christ, people really just said "OK, what's the anti version of the cross" and flipped it and by coincidence it's also the Petrine cross.

The Petrine cross is more of a trivia fact today than it ever was because it's appeared in quasi-religious TV episodes or movies but decades back people weren't really aware of it due to it being apocryphal knowledge and not just openly found in the Bible and so when it first started popping up in the 60s-70s as a symbol for the Anti-Christ or for metal bands it seemed much more "offensive" than it does now. I know going to CCD classes growing up I knew of the meaning of that cross as being St. Peter's long before I knew it as it relates to the Anti-Christ but Peter is also a major figure in the Catholic faith so it's something certain Christians were more likely to come across than others before it became pop culture knowledge like today.

e: of course context means everything now anyway. If you see it in an actual church it's clearly referring to Peter and if you see it on the PJ's of a boy parodying Damian from The Omen then, yea, Anti-Christ.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 2, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You're a carpenter and i'm not handy at all! I'm the ANTI CHRIST! :rock:

Man, that was such a good reveal. I remember a lot of people in the thread at the time expected it to be Stewie. I'm sure if American Dad was more closely tied to Family Guy, it would have been.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Stan's no. 1 fictional dog is Brian, how close do you want it?!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, what?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forgive the filmed on a potato thing, it was the only one I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFF7UG_yZcI

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

The_Doctor posted:

STOP PRETENDING I DON'T EXIST

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The_Doctor posted:

But on the other hand, Stewie and Brian met Stan when Stewie infiltrated the CIA to get access to the global power controller thingy and became emperor of the world...but then, that was a weird fantasy thing, so I guess it doesn't mean anything.

But in The Hurricane Trilogy, I think Peter ends up in Stan's house?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

DrBouvenstein posted:

But in The Hurricane Trilogy, I think Peter ends up in Stan's house?

Peter, Cleveland, and Stan end up in a standoff.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mister Kingdom posted:

Peter, Cleveland, and Stan end up in a standoff.

I think they should do more cross-show stuff. And by cross-show stuff, I mean they should have the American Dad characters on Family Guy as much as possible, and never have the Family Guy characters on American Dad, unless it's a brief joke.

I think there's a Family Guy/Simpsons crossover episode coming. The Griffins go to Springfield?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

escape artist posted:

I think there's a Family Guy/Simpsons crossover episode coming. The Griffins go to Springfield?

There's also a Futurama/Simpsons crossover coming either at the end of the 25th season of the beginning of the 26th.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's also a Futurama/Simpsons crossover coming either at the end of the 25th season of the beginning of the 26th.

Hmmm, Futurama had a good finale. I kinda think they should just let it rest there.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

quote:

Roger gets in a car crash when he tries to take a picture of his crotch on a traffic speed cam. After waking up from a coma, he starts to have visions of the future, and saves the Smiths from a fire. But, Roger's abuse of his new powers soon draws the ire of his fellow family members and the Smiths must learn to cope with the uncertainty of the future.

No way this episode sucks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Vision: Impossible

Roger suffers a horrific car crash as he tries to take a picture of his crotch on a traffic speed cam. After waking up from a coma, he starts to have eerie visions of the future, and saves the Smiths from a terrible fire. But, Roger’s abuse of his newfound powers soon draws the ire of his fellow family members and the Smiths must learn to cope with the uncertainty of the future.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Who writes like that? The guy working at Fox, who wrote that must be a total douche. Look at that last sentence! English is not even my native language, but this anoys me irrationally. A story synopsis is not the place for poetic language.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Air is lava! posted:

Who writes like that? The guy working at Fox, who wrote that must be a total douche. Look at that last sentence! English is not even my native language, but this anoys me irrationally. A story synopsis is not the place for poetic language.

I got it from the TV Rage website.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That Raccoon looks pissed.

Show me that baby!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
This is already so much better than every other show tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Dr. Baby.

• Locked thread