Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I was just listening to Cranston's reading of Ozymandias on youtube again, because why wouldn't I, and the most recent comment had the best idea ever: Cranston for Fallout 4's villain.

Now the eventual actual Fallout 4 villain is ruined for me... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

Now these aren't MAJOR criticisms in what I still think is a very good season of an excellent show, but just relatively speaking I enjoy seasons 1, 3 and 5b more. I still don't get how people don't like season 1 very much, Walter is at his most interesting when he's genuinely conflicted, season 5a Walter is almost a stock villain from a bad action film.
I think the issue I have with Season 1 is that while Walt came out pretty fully realized, the other characters don't really feel like themselves in Season 1. Hank is a little too brutish, Marie a little too obnoxious, and Skyler just a bit too uptight. I've mentioned this before, but I have to kind of hold the mindset that Season 1 is us seeing those characters how Walt views them.

But I guess for me, it depends on how much focus you put on Walt. 5A is strong of me because it's all about Skyler, and I love the carwash stuff and Gus' coup so Season 4 is a lot of fun. To each his own though.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I just love this promo AMC has been airing
:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPFvnWa0A8

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the issue I have with Season 1 is that while Walt came out pretty fully realized, the other characters don't really feel like themselves in Season 1. Hank is a little too brutish, Marie a little too obnoxious, and Skyler just a bit too uptight. I've mentioned this before, but I have to kind of hold the mindset that Season 1 is us seeing those characters how Walt views them.

But I guess for me, it depends on how much focus you put on Walt. 5A is strong of me because it's all about Skyler, and I love the carwash stuff and Gus' coup so Season 4 is a lot of fun. To each his own though.

I'm pretty sure Hank being something of an rear end in a top hat is the point. Later, he's nearly killed on the job multiple times, and this changes him. A good interpretation I've heard is that Walt and Hank are supposed to be opposites - Walt starts out a seemingly decent, unappreciated fellow while Hank is something of a racist rear end in a top hat and mediocre cop. Both of them are subjected to pressure and hardship, which they respond to by becoming, in Walt's case, a selfish, murdering criminal, and in Hank's case, a moral, heroic badass and very competent DEA agent.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Having watched the whole thing in a few weeks, largely unspoiled:

The plane crash foreshadowing ended with a bit of a letdown.

It goes
"A charred teddy bear in Walt's pool? That is... odd, I wonder how it got there like with the other flash forwards showing a scene out of context"
"Men in white suits are collecting what looks like evidence at Walt's house? Is this what happens when Hank finds out?"
"Pile of evidence keeps getting bigger, camera pans over what looks like body bags, this seems more like a series finale"
"Camera pans up, showing the entire neighbourhood in similar state, smoke rises from background. Nevermind, unrelated disaster:ms:"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

The problem with this line of thinking is that season one is the only decent amount of time where we see the Whites and the Schraders when everything is supposedly going fine for them and everyone (except Walt) is happy with where they're at.

There hasn't been any PTSD-inducing shootout with Tuco, Skyler had suspicions, but really had no idea what was going on with Walt. Basically, none of the catalysts for the true change in these characters had happened except for Walt and maybe Jesse. That's how I account for the differences in the characters, at least.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I felt that the plane crash was uninteresting until the start of season 3, where we see Walt try to reason his guilt away. At that moment it becomes extremely loving interesting. But taken purely as a finale to the second season, it wasn't great.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The reason why the characters act different in the first season is because they had yet to under go any changes. Character development is the entire point of a serialised drama.

It's not because of some bias point of view that the show ditches as it moves forward you loving spergs.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I don't think Hank ended up being a moral badass. I get that the scene added some grey morality, but it really made me stop rooting for Hank when he said how he didn't really give a poo poo whether Jesse lived or died. Sure, Jesse's a murderer by that point, but to just let him die so you can maybe get evidence against your brother in law who is already dying and probably won't end up in prison is really despicable and not at all a heroic action.

It really drives home that Hank isn't doing this for moral reasons. He's doing it because he felt betrayed by Walt and wanted to be the one who caught him. It ended up costing him his life in the end.

Not saying Walt was in the right through all of this, just that Hank wasn't, either.

PriorMarcus posted:

The reason why the characters act different in the first season is because they had yet to under go any changes. Character development is the entire point of a serialised drama.

It's not because of some bias point of view that the show ditches as it moves forward you loving spergs.

It's neat how you said what two posters have already said, just subtracting an actual explanation and adding "loving SPERGS." You seem really cool

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
The more I think about it, the more I REALLY appreciate/love the ending to Breaking Bad.

We got to have everything we wanted on the show.

Walt getting arrested/caught by Hank
Walt loses nearly all his money making everything for naught
Walt goes into hiding
Walt's family mad at him- especially his son after finding out about everything
Walt admits to Skyler it was for himself
Walt's final confrontation with Gretchen and Elliot
Jesse holding a gun to Walt after all he's been through
Walt saving Jesse's life one last time
Walt dying on his terms and not by cancer (and will be remembered as Heiseinberg- a meth kingpin. He finally made a name for himself. He will no longer be remembered as the high school teacher who never achieved anything :unsmith:)

Few shows get to have their cake and eat it too. The one complaint a lot of fans of the ending is that it's "too wrapped up/perfect".

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 31, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
In regards to my earlier comments, I'm not saying that Season 1 Hank, Marie, and Skyler are complete fabrications. In fact, one of my favorite moments of Season 5B, is when Hank sees the photo of himself from Season 2 making fun of Tuco's murdered comrades. There's just something about how they're written that seems less real than the rest of the show. I think the show started from a point of things being a bit more exaggerated and is hard to reconcile with the rest of the series.

Party Boat posted:

I felt that the plane crash was uninteresting until the start of season 3, where we see Walt try to reason his guilt away. At that moment it becomes extremely loving interesting. But taken purely as a finale to the second season, it wasn't great.
I liked the plane crash because it's an immediate gently caress you to Walt's murder by inaction, but yeah, "The Fly" points out how loving crazy it all is.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

That DICK! posted:

I don't think Hank ended up being a moral badass. I get that the scene added some grey morality, but it really made me stop rooting for Hank when he said how he didn't really give a poo poo whether Jesse lived or died. Sure, Jesse's a murderer by that point, but to just let him die so you can maybe get evidence against your brother in law who is already dying and probably won't end up in prison is really despicable and not at all a heroic action.

It really drives home that Hank isn't doing this for moral reasons. He's doing it because he felt betrayed by Walt and wanted to be the one who caught him. It ended up costing him his life in the end.

Not saying Walt was in the right through all of this, just that Hank wasn't, either.

Fair point, though I was more talking about Hank in general, not just in 5b. When he finds out the truth about Walt, yes, he becomes more ruthless (which slipped my mind), but before that he intelligently sets out to catch Heisenberg and goes above and beyond, exposing himself to danger and ridicule. The line you refer does throw a big wrench in that idea though, I agree.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Having watched the whole thing in a few weeks, largely unspoiled:

The plane crash foreshadowing ended with a bit of a letdown.

It goes
"A charred teddy bear in Walt's pool? That is... odd, I wonder how it got there like with the other flash forwards showing a scene out of context"
"Men in white suits are collecting what looks like evidence at Walt's house? Is this what happens when Hank finds out?"
"Pile of evidence keeps getting bigger, camera pans over what looks like body bags, this seems more like a series finale"
"Camera pans up, showing the entire neighbourhood in similar state, smoke rises from background. Nevermind, unrelated disaster:ms:"

I specifically remember feeling let down by the ending-- easpecially as someone who watched week-to-week as it aired.

Then I read this:
http://sepinwall.blogspot.ca/2009/05/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-post.html

I almost immediately came to appreciate it much much more.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

Fair point, though I was more talking about Hank in general, not just in 5b. When he finds out the truth about Walt, yes, he becomes more ruthless (which slipped my mind), but before that he intelligently sets out to catch Heisenberg and goes above and beyond, exposing himself to danger and ridicule. The line you refer does throw a big wrench in that idea though, I agree.
I'm a big Hank defender, but it's also worth remembering that the laundry manager was so close to giving up Walt. I mean, yes, Hank could have never imagined Walt and the Nazis pulling off what they pulled off, but if he wasn't so cocky, Walt would have been arrested then and there.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think Hank was right to play hard ball there, he had all the cards he needed and theres no way he could have foreseen a co ordinated mass killing. He's utterly shocked when he comes home after that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel this way, too. Walt is pretty complex, then you have maybe Hank and Jesse who already have a couple significant aspects to their characters, and waaaay down on the "cartoon stereotype" end of the Character Development Scale(TM) are Skyler and Marie. I'm not sure why I feel that way, exactly. I think part of it might be the absolutely amazing writing for and performances of Skyler and Marie in the final season, compared to the much more mundane subplots (like the tiara feud) they are relegated to early on.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I feel this way, too. Walt is pretty complex, then you have maybe Hank and Jesse who already have a couple significant aspects to their characters, and waaaay down on the "cartoon stereotype" end of the Character Development Scale(TM) are Skyler and Marie. I'm not sure why I feel that way, exactly. I think part of it might be the absolutely amazing writing for and performances of Skyler and Marie in the final season, compared to the much more mundane subplots (like the tiara feud) they are relegated to early on.

I'll agree that the 'Marie thieving' subplot is weak, Hank is a little too fratboy and Skylar too much of a moralizing mum, it's the Walt/Jessie duopoly that makes it so damned good, especially those first major transgression by Walt.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

Hank is a little too fratboy

I dunno if I'd call him a fratboy, but I enjoyed Hank from the beginning. I think this is because I've known so many people who are exactly like Hank, and Dean Norris cranks his performance up to 11 in being exactly That Guy right off the bat.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I hated Hank at first, because his racism seemed to really irk Gomie (and it DID irk me). In later seasons, it was played down as just a way that they interacted, showing how deep their friendship is. Absolutely love Dean Norris now, and hope he gets a role on Game of Thrones as Randyll Tarly.

Everyone took time to grow on me. I hated Jesse at first, especially since the only thing I knew of Aaron Paul was his excruciatingly boring role in Big Love. It took until "this isn't meth" until I was like "okay, this is Walter White. Not Hal from Malcolm."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

escape artist posted:

Everyone took time to grow on me. I hated Jesse at first, especially since the only thing I knew of Aaron Paul was his excruciatingly boring role in Big Love. It took until "this isn't meth" until I was like "okay, this is Walter White. Not Hal from Malcolm."

I loved Jesse from the get go, he's the comic relief character (at least, at first) and those are the ones I gravitate towards.

"Oh, well Heil Hitler, bitch!" will never not be hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPrtiLy0uU

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 3, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

escape artist posted:

I hated Hank at first, because his racism seemed to really irk Gomie (and it DID irk me). In later seasons, it was played down as just a way that they interacted,

I guess when Gomez says to Hank in the pilot, "yeah, you're like Rain Man... retarded" I sort of made the leap that maybe they interacted that way :v:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Walter white

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That DICK! posted:

Walter white

Agreed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I loved Jesse from the get go, he's the comic relief character (at least, at first) and those are the ones I gravitate towards.

"Oh, well Heil Hitler, bitch!" will never not be hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPrtiLy0uU
It says a lot about early Jesse that he has that reaction to Walt being mad at him for not buying a plastic bin.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just saw 52 and the train episode in HD after watching the show entirely in standard and holy poo poo it is like watching a new show.

I might have to watch the entire series again.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just saw 52 and the train episode in HD after watching the show entirely in standard and holy poo poo it is like watching a new show.

I might have to watch the entire series again.

Definitely. This show has a lot of great cinematography (and sound work, too). I think the fact that I watched the first three seasons exclusively on a six-foot projection screen with a passable speaker system really added to how much I was absolutely sucked in to the show's world. The wide shots of the desert and the city, and the many unique perspective shots, all look amazing on a high-res screen, and I really appreciated the music a lot more when I had some good speakers/headphones.

In other news, MY GIRLFRIEND is finally binge-watching seasons 3-5 so I'm getting text messages at odd times throughout the day with lots of capital letters and a wide variety of smiley faces :D

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Really wish they had killed Steve Gomez on screen still. That's the only thing that sticks in my craw about the otherwise loving magnificent four episode run to the series finale.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
haha. When Ted answers the door to Sky in series 4 when she comes to make him give the money to the Feds, he trips over the carpet. Excellent foreshadowing!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mexcillent posted:

Really wish they had killed Steve Gomez on screen still. That's the only thing that sticks in my craw about the otherwise loving magnificent four episode run to the series finale.

I think it's amazing for defying expectations. You expect Gomie to do the whole noble sacrifice thing or otherwise die honorably somehow and instead we start the episode and he's just loving dead.

I was like "poo poo, if they killed Gomie offscreen, who the hell is gonna die onscreen?" :ohdear:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I think it's amazing for defying expectations. You expect Gomie to do the whole noble sacrifice thing or otherwise die honorably somehow and instead we start the episode and he's just loving dead.

I was like "poo poo, if they killed Gomie offscreen, who the hell is gonna die onscreen?" :ohdear:

Yeah it was a great "what... he's dead?" moment.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 4, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

WampaLord posted:

When you put it this way, it really does set the tone for everything else that's to come :pwn:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I'm still glad that Gomez is mentioned in the final episodes. Most shows just seem to take no notice of recurring characters biting the dust.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I think it's also probably how things happened for Hank. He didn't see Gomie die. poo poo just happened; at one point he lost him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So this show has given me a true appreciation for meth.

Not really the effect of the drug, or the culture around it. Criminal culture endlessly has its appeal initially, but this show's emphasis, it's central theme--chemistry--is so finely symbolized in methamphetamine. The entire process behind how it is produced, the combination of science and criminal ingenuity, the blending of "high society" or the whitest of collars with the blackest of black markets, is something truly fascinating, at least to me.

Respect the chemistry being a great meme from the show is finely demonstrated by meth as its central focus. It seems such a shame, to me, that meth is criminalized. It seems to me that the technique behind its creation ought to be preserved and honored, rather than shunned away. A lot of Breaking Bad revolves around an artist who has never truly had a chance to make his craft. Walter White's love affair with Felina is his most redeeming quality, besides perhaps his loyalty to Jesse (early on). The artistry in his chemistry, and the craft that he makes with it--a literally witch's brew, a madness potion an elixer both feared and desired, something straight up alchemic--reinforces that even a deadly science can have an essential beauty to it.

Maybe it's unintentional, but I feel that this show has perhaps demonstrated an aspect of chemistry that hasn't really been popularly explored before--well, not since, perhaps, the original Frankenstein. Chemistry akin to alchemy--something passionate and almost pure.

EDIT: Also Gayle's Coffee Pot is just such a sweet creation.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 7, 2014

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So this show has given me a true appreciation for meth...

It seems such a shame, to me, that meth is criminalized. It seems to me that the technique behind its creation ought to be preserved and honored, rather than shunned away...

Maybe it's unintentional, but I feel that this show has perhaps demonstrated an aspect of chemistry that hasn't really been popularly explored before--well, not since, perhaps, the original Frankenstein. Chemistry akin to alchemy--something passionate and almost pure.

EDIT: Also Gayle's Coffee Pot is just such a sweet creation.
I agree with you on some points: Walt was an amazing and brilliant chemist, and his process was perfect. On the other hand, they show pretty clearly that this was more about Walt's ego and pride than anything else. As good as the meth might have been, there was always someone being hurt: the users' lives being destroyed (as we saw with the ATM people and their Deliverance child, Jane and Wendy), dealers that get "retired" (Combo, Tomas), and all the other peoples' lives that have been lost on the wayside.

Walt could have been just as amazing at a place like Grey Matters when he was given the chance, but he chose a path that was filled with death and suffering, even from the first episode!

Drug war morality aside, Walt spent the entire series being amazing at something that hurts people. As he soberly realized at the end of the series, he just wanted whatever spotlight he could grab in his last two years.

All respect to Gale's coffee pot.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Clandestine chemistry is what made me love and respect organic chemistry, so I can respect what you are saying . . . but Walt's chemistry is the best kind of magic in the show. Magic. Chemistry knowledge offers really fun foreshadowing, at least for the first season and occasionally thereafter (I loved chemistry as a framing device but I understand why that was cut). But, let's not romanticize meth here. It's a bad drug.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I'm still sad we never got to see Walt's collapse from glory as a bleeding-edge chemist. There must have been some humbling moment where his pride cost him his future in chemistry and forced him into being a mealy-mouthed schoolteacher, but it was never addressed.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TheBalor posted:

I'm still sad we never got to see Walt's collapse from glory as a bleeding-edge chemist. There must have been some humbling moment where his pride cost him his future in chemistry and forced him into being a mealy-mouthed schoolteacher, but it was never addressed.

I'm not convinced it was all Walt's fault. People can change when they do business, even if they do business with close friends. Gretchen and Elliot are first seen at that birthday party, a very public event. And after that, they're largely reacting to Walt's horrible actions. The first event makes it easy to be nice and the later events make it easy to be sympathetic since Walt is trying to manipulate them.

I'm not saying Walt wasn't at least partially at fault. I'm sure his behavior didn't help, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least the Gray Matter side of things wasn't a clear good guy and bad guy thing.

I'm more willing to cast Walt as an rear end in a top hat for the breakup with Gretchen though.

EDIT: But now that I think about it, when we see the flashback to Walt and Skyler buying the house, Walt is still a chemist but he isn't with Gray Matter. It is implied they're making pretty good money or at least he has the potential to move up in the world. So even the falling out of Gray Matter didn't banish him from the scientific community. Something else did that.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
I just watched all the episodes over the span of two weeks. How long does this mourning feeling last? Not just for Walt, but for the end of the greatest TV show ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It seemed pretty apparent that settling down with his wife and caring for their handicapped child sidelined any pursuit of an academic career and/or relocating the family to work at some research facility. Tenure track is brutal and you won't make good money or have any time for your family for many, many years.

• Locked thread