Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Zemyla posted:

EDIT: The robot has a buttcrack. THE ROBOT HAS A BUTTCRACK.

BARRY LIVES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Air is lava! posted:

Horsey really is a grumpy old man, sometimes. Who in his right mind complains about the globalisation of the film industry, for such a petty reason?

I don't think he's complaining about it, just commenting on it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

"But you know, barring that, wouldn't you like to not starve?"

I dunno, your house or some poo poo?

I admit, this one made me like.

Ha, Michelle Obama sure has a fat rear end, like all those ni blacks do (not racist).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

red19fire posted:

Basically, California treats the film industry like a never ending well of free money by taxing the hell out of movies and TV filmed in the state. Something like 25% of their budgets disappear through taxes and licenses and assorted nickel-and-dime fees. Vancouver, New Orleans, Chicago, and lots of other cities have nowhere near California's level of taxation, because they see a huge boom in the local economy when Hollywood productions are in town.

Well the companies are making serious loving bank by literally Cooking, Flambeing, Filetting, Julienning, Grilling and then Sous Vide-ing the books.

Seriously, this really fuckin' sucks posted:

Peter Jackson, director of The Lord of the Rings, and his studio Wingnut Films, brought a lawsuit against New Line Cinema after "an audit... on part of the income of The Fellowship of the Ring". Jackson stated this is regarding "certain accounting practices", which may be a reference to Hollywood accounting. In response, New Line stated that their rights to a film of The Hobbit were time-limited, and since Jackson would not work with them again until the suit was settled, he would not be asked to direct The Hobbit, as had been anticipated.[12] Fifteen actors are suing New Line Cinema, claiming that they have never received their 5% of revenue from merchandise sold in relation to the movie, which contains their likeness.[13] Similarly, the Tolkien estate sued New Line, claiming that their contract entitled them to 7.5% of the gross receipts of the $6 billion hit.[14] Overall according to New Line's accounts the trilogy made "horrendous losses" and no profit at all

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 8, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It would be banned anyway because gently caress you hippies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich

It's worth noting that Gonzales v. Raich is considered the outer limit of Commerce clause jurisprudence, and the conservative members of the Supreme Court don't like it too much. At the same time, a tremendous amount of US regulatory law (especially FDA stuff, the area I'm familiar with) is built upon commerce clause standards, much of it very close to the same "intrastate commerce competes with interstate commerce" reasoning that occurred in Gonzales. If Gonzales v. Raich gets overturned, either a. Ron Paul wins and the US becomes a glibertarian nightmare or b. Some other standard that's really darn similar to the Gonzales one is substituted.

I hate Hartman, but I must admit, most cartoonists would have copy-pasted the panels. It looks like he redrew it from scratch. Now if only I could figure out why Joe Public's mouth is closed in panel 2, and why the speech balloons are so screwy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 8, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

red19fire posted:

Basically, California treats the film industry like a never ending well of free money by taxing the hell out of movies and TV filmed in the state. Something like 25% of their budgets disappear through taxes and licenses and assorted nickel-and-dime fees. Vancouver, New Orleans, Chicago, and lots of other cities have nowhere near California's level of taxation, because they see a huge boom in the local economy when Hollywood productions are in town.

There's also a lot of stagnation in the work force, a lot of the unions supposedly lock out 'new blood' in order to keep the older members working, who refuse to travel. And I've heard that a lot of the apprentice and bottom level jobs are going to the children and grandchildren of studio heads and various other fat cats, who in turn refuse to actually work because their dad will have you fired.

This is all according to family friends in LA, so take it with a grain of salt. Though an actual producer in LA told me I'd have better luck working in film by moving to New Orleans.

E: so in the context of the cartoon, California is an obnoxious socialite that doesn't understand why everyone she alienates won't attend the lavish party she threw using money she stole from them.
I have friends who work in Hollywood, and yeah, this is pretty much it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

duz posted:

When has any government every been required to have factual justification for its laws?

Germany. Our constitutional court is a bit more resolute...

...and also manned by loving wereeagles.

Randler fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 8, 2014

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
The president is paid a six figure salary for one of the most stressful jobs in the world. He can probably afford a trip to Hawaii, and his security retinue is with him all the time so that is tax money that is spent anyway as part and parcel of having a President. So, how dare he use money earned working to travel to his birthplace to celebrate with his wife her fiftieth birthday. How dare he. That right is reserved solely for rich businessmen who support Republicans.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well the companies are making serious loving bank by literally Cooking, Flambeing, Filetting, Julienning, Grilling and then Sous Vide-ing the books.

There's a good interview with Viggo Mortensen, who was in Lord of the Rings, talking about how he's glad that he got paid enough to not have to work blockbusters anymore, because he's sick of dealing with stuff like that

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

In light of recent posts:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Randler posted:

...and also manned by loving wereeagles.

Sam the Eagle? What are you doing? You should be back on your news show.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Ha, Michelle Obama sure has a fat rear end, like all those ni blacks do (not racist).

What's with the First Lady and her ghetto booty, am I right folks? -- Mike Lester

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KillerJunglist posted:

In light of recent posts:

:golfclap: Perfect. Allie even drew the dude looking high as gently caress for you!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Initially kinda confused by this but looking at it again I can't see it as anything other than Allie going "gently caress it, you guys are right but you're still a bunch of pussies".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

quote:

Mike Lester.
All for the working man and against Wealth inequality.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WampaLord posted:

I highly doubt this if the giant lines in CO are any indication. The "forbidden fruit" appeal doesn't really exist, it's not "Weed is amazing cause I'm getting away with something illegal!" it's just that weed is amazing. In fact, it's even better if you're smoking in it a state where it's legal, you get much less paranoid.
Oh, I am perfectly aware that usage would increase following legalization. I just suspect that it would tail off significantly afterwards.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randler posted:

Germany. Our constitutional court is a bit more resolute...

Do the red judges robes have a long history in Germany or is there another reason why they weren't ditched after this guy? I always thought the nazis came up with them.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

0.41 uses of the root word "addict" per sentence in a modern argument against marijuana legalization.

That was brutal.

"We have no ideas of our own".

This is a good thing. Scientists are the only ones who should be thinking up and testing ideas and hypotheses regarding climate change. The average voter does not have the requisite technical skills nor access to the necessary data to test his crackpot theory that solar panels cause record cold temperatures.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I don't think I've ever seen an artist pour his hate of a person into his drawings as much as Lester does when he draws Michelle Obama.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Yes, Varvel, yes... :getin:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do the red judges robes have a long history in Germany or is there another reason why they weren't ditched after this guy? I always thought the nazis came up with them.

Traditionally, red robes where the sign of courts that had the power of capital punishment. Therefore the robes of Freisler's Volksgerichtshof were red as well. Despite capital punishment being abolished with the Grundgesetz, the red robes persisted as the official garnment for the judges at the Bundesgerichtshof (the highest "ordinary" Federal court taking the place of the Reichsgericht). The constitutional court wore red robes at the beginning as well until the new scarlet robes were commissioned. They are a modern design inspired by the robes of Renaissance Florence, partly motivated by the designer wanting to incorporate elements of republican traditions.

Normal civil and criminal court judges wear black robes with some velvet as do the state's attorneys. Lawyers also wear black robes, but they lack the velvet parts around the front. Some of the states' constitutional courts also have coloured robes as well.

Randler fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2014

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Discendo Vox posted:

I hate Hartman, but I must admit, most cartoonists would have copy-pasted the panels. It looks like he redrew it from scratch. Now if only I could figure out why Joe Public's mouth is closed in panel 2, and why the speech balloons are so screwy.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it is a copy-past job, just with a couple details (eyes, mouths, and the donkey's arm) changed.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Discendo Vox posted:

It's worth noting that Gonzales v. Raich is considered the outer limit of Commerce clause jurisprudence, and the conservative members of the Supreme Court don't like it too much. At the same time, a tremendous amount of US regulatory law (especially FDA stuff, the area I'm familiar with) is built upon commerce clause standards, much of it very close to the same "intrastate commerce competes with interstate commerce" reasoning that occurred in Gonzales. If Gonzales v. Raich gets overturned, either a. Ron Paul wins and the US becomes a glibertarian nightmare or b. Some other standard that's really darn similar to the Gonzales one is substituted.

That is roughly the same argument used to uphold the health insurance mandate, so I can't really complain.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is the reason that George Lucas is the richest man in Hollywood. As part of his contract for the original Star Wars trilogy he got 100% of the merchandising rights: the studio didn't expect to make any merchandise, you see. Welp.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Marijuana is not physically addicting. It can be psychologically addicting in exceptionally rare circumstances. There is essentially no toxic dose of THC, and credible studies indicate that it has genuine medicinal benefits. If marijuana should be outlawed for being "addictive" then junk food should be outlawed first because it is far more addictive as well as far more harmful.

One small reason for legalization is, "Prohibition has resulted in one of the most prolific human rights atrocities in world history, namely the imprisonment, impoverishment, and torture of tens of thousands of people who committed absolutely no crime." Approximately 53% of the United States prison population is there for marijuana possession- not even distribution- and the singular reason why they remain there is because someone is making a profit on imprisoning innocent people.

This one is cool because Pussy Riot called bullshit on their own release from a prison where they were eventually forced to work fourteen hours a day with almost no days off.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/12/23/256478469/their-release-is-just-a-pr-stunt-pussy-riot-member-says

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Somebody posted a picture in the cosplay thread, and I don't know who it's supposed to be, but in my mind, it is Muiry-Sue:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I believe that is supposed to be Jetstream Sam from the game Metal Gear Rising.

e:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Again: Vertical eye scar = badass. That's a well-known rule of character design.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lycus posted:

Again: Vertical eye scar = badass. That's a well-known rule of character design.

i like that rule because it'd be pretty hard to actually get a vertical eye scar in any way that isn't really embarrassingly dumb

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Lycus posted:

It's called a dueling scar, and comes from Errol Flynn movies :eng101:

crowfeathers posted:

i like that rule because it'd be pretty hard to actually get a vertical eye scar in any way that isn't really embarrassingly dumb
fencing without a mask was generally the source. Which is embarrassingly dumb so...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dueling scars work better in that regard, and are more plausible.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

It's called a dueling scar, and comes from Errol Flynn movies :eng101:

Dueling scars were traditionally horizontal (in most instances), and on the side of the cheek. They were a big status symbol for German men in previous centuries, as it marked whoever had one as a part of the upper class, and usually as having attended university back when that was much more exclusive of a thing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Dueling scars were traditionally horizontal (in most instances), and on the side of the cheek. They were a big status symbol for German men in previous centuries, as it marked whoever had one as a part of the upper class, and usually as having attended university back when that was much more exclusive of a thing.

In real life, sure. But in the movies they had vertical scars on the eye. That's how you could tell the villain, and who Errol was going to swordfight

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Joining the crowd who wants to hear these modern anti-legalization arguments.

The non-:qq:are culture:qq: ones are the studies which link regular usage with an 8 point drop in IQ and (more tenuously but more worryingly) broader access with more traffic collisions.

This guy had good stuff to say about it, free of hand-wringing. The conclusion is in italics at the end, if you want to spoil it for yourself.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"But you know, barring that, wouldn't you like to not starve?"

Reinstating the WPA and making 100% employment a policy goal would usher in a new era of American prosperity and progressive political dominance, but today's Democrats are too foolish and timid to know what would be in their party's real long-term interest, AGC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah apparently when a young German nobleman got a cut on the face they would do things like pack the wound with horsehair to make sure it was big and nasty :gonk:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Reinstating the WPA and making 100% employment a policy goal would usher in a new era of American prosperity and progressive political dominance, but today's Democrats are too foolish and timid to know what would be in their party's real long-term interest, AGC.

"People don't want welfare, they want jobs!"
"Okay, how about we create public works projects, train and employ them."
"Pffft, government can't create jobs! That's silly!"

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 8, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

crowfeathers posted:

Ehhh, all it really takes is a childhood accident with an improbable trajectory. Alter the angle of the fall onto a folded metal computer desk that gave me the scar right next to my eye and I could have had that, maybe.

(I probably would have just lost an eye though)

e: Also fun fact I learned from an optometrist a little while later when I needed glasses, apparently injuries that close to the eye are considered eye injuries because they can be associated with damage to vision. Not really the type of thing you would expect to find on, say, a crack sniper.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 9, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

Somebody posted a picture in the cosplay thread, and I don't know who it's supposed to be, but in my mind, it is Muiry-Sue:

Goddammit I have seen this in no less than 4 separate threads now- The Revengeancing is upon us.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Monkey Fracas posted:

Goddammit I have seen this in no less than 4 separate threads now- The Revengeancing is upon us.

It's the most American game, really. Fight a senator who's trying to keep the military industrial complex alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's the most American game, really. Fight a senator who's trying to keep the military industrial complex alive.

Oh, it's better than that- he's only doing it to get enough money to get elected so he can turn the US into Super-Libertarian-Land.

• Locked thread