Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

F. Lobot posted:

That'd be cool, but unnecessary. There's no strict timing with a fastfall. You just press down, and it's already visually obvious when it happens. It's actually easier in this game than in Brawl.

I imagine it'd get kind of annoying if you do a lot of SHFFL-ing. I think my friend used to do it a lot with Falco back when we played Melee constantly and I probably would've stopped playing Smash if the screen just never stopped flashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

L-cancelling has no downside or risk, it is most beneficial to always L-cancel. It could be automatic, but there are two reasons it isn't.
  • Compared to many techniques in traditional fighting games, it's relatively easy. For most characters you can input fast-fall (press down) and L-cancel (lightly press L) at the same time and the window is so large that it will still register by the time you land. It's a light challenge that is satisfying to pull off. Project M also added a white flash as a visual indication of a successful L-Cancel. This makes the technique more accessible, and I probably would have never learned without it.
  • In top level tournament play when both contestants are performing near perfectly, a missed L-cancel can lead to a punish that turns the match around. If it were automatic, 'perfect' combos would be more frequent and less exciting, and we'd see fewer turnarounds over the course of a match.

The only reason to make a technique not automatic is of there's some benefit to not doing it. Having to press up and X at the same time in order to jump would broadly fill both of your notes on L-canceling but is just as pointless. Either remove it or make it automatic; tedious busywork for minor efficiency improvements does nothing to make my gameplay experience better.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

F. Lobot posted:

That'd be cool, but unnecessary. There's no strict timing with a fastfall. You just press down, and it's already visually obvious when it happens. It's actually easier in this game than in Brawl.

It would be mechanically identical but more discoverable (I personally learned of fastfalling in Smash 64 because of that sparkle!), same as the white flash on L-cancel. Fastfalling's a lot more intuitive than L-canceling and neither is actually necessary but I think it'd still be neat :shobon:

ChaosArgate posted:

I imagine it'd get kind of annoying if you do a lot of SHFFL-ing. I think my friend used to do it a lot with Falco back when we played Melee constantly and I probably would've stopped playing Smash if the screen just never stopped flashing.

Oh gosh, the "white flash" on L-canceling in Project M is just your character glowing white for a fraction of a second during the double-speed landing animation. Nothing like the whole-screen white tint that happens when someone is hit at extremely high percents! And iirc the fastfall sparkle in Smash 64 only occurred if you weren't performing an aerial when you tapped the stick down, which is pretty innocuous.

Although I legit never realized that Melee and Brawl didn't have the fastfall sparkle until sometime earlier this year, so maybe take my recollections of when the sparkle did/didn't appear with a grain of salt.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endorph posted:

But charging and full circles actually impact gameplay and aren't just execution barriers. Charging means you can't just toss it out and it's often harder to combo into the moves, not to mention they're far more obvious. Guile has to walk backwards or block for two seocnds to toss out a sonic boom, and crouch to toss out a flash kick. Full circles mean you can't just input the motion from neutral because you'll wind up jumping if you try, you have to buffer it out of something else - a move, an empty jump, whatever.

But they are; watch someone like Dieminion play Guile, he can poo poo out a Flash Kick or Sonic Boom whenever he wants just as just as easily as a a Ryu can spam a Hadouken or Shoryuken. There's no reason to lower the skill ceiling in a game designed for high level play especially when it's probably the easiest of all of the advance techniques of Smash.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

But they are; watch someone like Dieminion play Guile, he can poo poo out a Flash Kick or Sonic Boom whenever he wants just as just as easily as a a Ryu can spam a Hadouken or Shoryuken.
He literally can't though. Dieminion can make it *look* like he can do that as easily as Ryu or Ken because he knows his character and knows how to buffer the charge inputs during other moves. Not to mention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV14-yxLzV0

Take a look at this video, there are plenty of instances where you see Guile taking a couple of steps back or crouching and doing nothing before chucking a Sonic Boom. There's a clear, identifiable difference between a QCF and a Charge Back, Forward input, just like there's a clear difference between a QCF input and an input where you have to hold down two buttons and then release them.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Just got a working sd card, did they make the physics even heavier recently? For reference the last time I played they were still missing samus, olimar, yoshi, roy and mewtwo. I dont know what version that was.

E: Unless I'm imagining it this feels a fair bit too heavy. I remember the previous version I played felt great.

Let me sum it up like this. On whatever version I played before, I was practicing by putting 2 level 9's on a team against me as ganondorf. Now as everyone I've tried so far, I cant even beat 1 level 9. What the gently caress did they do??

Heh, well I just beat Yoshi but that means nothing.

Double Edit: Ok so I'm getting better and beating some dudes so its partly me, but still it feels too heavy. Can someone confirm they made that change?

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 19, 2013

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
It's heavier than vanilla Brawl, but doesn't seem too different from the last version I played. They did rewrite some AI scripts though, making it so that they're more competent and will use advanced techniques like wavedashing and dash dancing. Which...I wonder how they pulled that off. Is it like, they pulled battle data from competitive Smash players? Is battle data even a real thing? oh god all those jrpg villains were right

Unrelated note, I just noticed there is no entry in My Music for Skyloft. Why would that be? Do I need to unlock the stage it used to be first? What stage even did it use to be?

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
They also took out my favorite map SSE: Jungle :(. I don't know how I could just be imagining this. The last version I played I was stepping all over dudes, and now I'm losing regularly to bots. I feels much heavier I think. It could be that bots are just better now, since I'm at a disadvantage and like the feel of the wii-mote better. So I dont L-cancel, I've never tried wavedashing, and there is no c-sticking with a wii-mote, but even so I kicked rear end in the last version I played.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Wild Knight posted:

Unrelated note, I just noticed there is no entry in My Music for Skyloft. Why would that be? Do I need to unlock the stage it used to be first? What stage even did it use to be?

Because Skyloft was placed over Hanenbow it can't have an entry in My Music. This also means that it can only have one song.

Also SSE: Jungle was not removed, it was just re-skinned into Distant Planet.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
...Wow, I completely forgot that Hanenbow was a stage, and that you can't My Music it. That's a shame. Thanks, though. Now I know what song to edit for it, at least.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
22 people showed up for our Wednesday night Project M friendlies. For St. John's that's a stellar turnout. There hasn't been this much energy for a competitive offline game here in a long time.

Arikie
May 3, 2012

Protect the future?
I made a short video right before 3.0 came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINorzkofaE

I'll maybe make more as my friends and I get better. It's hard to find a lot of people to play Project Melee with around my area though.
I've spent some time playing with Samus and Mew-two lately, anyone have any luck with them? Mew-two can land some questionable grabs on people from the air sometimes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's your area? Maybe we could have a "find a player" thing in the OP, people might be living near groups without even knowing it! I'm in the Metro Detroit area.

As for Mewtwo, I like him a lot more than I thought I would, but I'm also a sucker for characters with good kill throws, and Mewtwo has two excellent ones. His Confusion (that's forward-B right?) got a ton better, not just in reflecting but also as a command grab, it sets up Fairs and some other fun tricks really well. Shadow Ball is a vicious projectile and gives him a solid and unpredictable ranged game, and his aerials are pretty great (though I'm notoriously bad with dair spikes, regardless of character). His biggest flaw is how loving easy it is to punish all his whiffs, especially his Smashes, so you really have to play him like Nero Chaos from Melty Blood and make sure you force the opponent to block all your poo poo instead of dodge it.

Arikie
May 3, 2012

Protect the future?
I wouldn't mind a find players thing, right now its me and a couple different people I only see sporadically at the college. I'd be willing to attempt the wifi if anyone is down for that as well, you need to download the wifi codeset or else there will be problems though.

My area is basically roseville/rocklin/Sacramento California.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

What's your area? Maybe we could have a "find a player" thing in the OP, people might be living near groups without even knowing it! I'm in the Metro Detroit area.

I've found that Facebook groups are they best way to find players these days, for Smash, fighting games, and anything else that is conventionally played offline. Through networking I found that the two campuses nearest me both have flowering Project M scenes. Still if people wanna make this a goon meet thread I'll support it. I live in the NYC/Long Island area.

Arikie
May 3, 2012

Protect the future?
Ya there is a group on facebook for brawl and melee in Norcal, some of them play P:M though and we are trying to figure something out, problem is most of us live 1-3 hours apart.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Ended up finally getting this yesterday, worked fine for installing and my housemate and I jumped straight in.

Whoa! It's like a whole new game. I was leery at the faster speed/heavier physics at first (I dug up my copy of Melee a couple months back and just couldn't keep track of the speed after spending the better part of a year on brawl) but it actually helps the game feel more exciting and lends itself to some really cool combos. The character changes are going to take some getting used to, though; as someone who usually mains Snake, the lack of a RPG side-smash and his lighter weight makes him stick to the stage less. Lucas, too, I'm having trouble with for now. On the other hand, characters like Jigglypuff and Yoshi suddenly feel a lot more viable. Mewtwo's well-formed too; it's amazing how easily I could slip back into his style after so long.

It's still a little buggy at the moment (smash balls tend to disappear quite often), and smash doesn't feel quite the same without some of the gimmicky levels, but I think Project M's going to be pretty comfortable on our Wii for a while. I only regret that I'm out of town for a while so my housemate's going to have a week or so's practice over me :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endorph posted:

He literally can't though. Dieminion can make it *look* like he can do that as easily as Ryu or Ken because he knows his character and knows how to buffer the charge inputs during other moves.

My point exactly, he's mastered how to play his character where charge inputs aren't a hurdle for him anymore and L Canceling is no different, it's a single button press and it quickly becomes second nature.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Another music question, has anybody had that weird occurence where, the game will be playing some imported music, and then it'll suddenly just cut to a different imported song, and then cut back?

I currently have Dark Pit's theme over the Underworld theme on Skyworld, and about 3 minutes into the song, it'll stop and be replaced with a sped up version of Azure Blue World, which is a song I have on Smashville. Any idea why this would be happening?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Sire Oblivion posted:

My point exactly, he's mastered how to play his character where charge inputs aren't a hurdle for him anymore and L Canceling is no different, it's a single button press and it quickly becomes second nature.

Ryu can threaten to Shoryuken at any time while walking forwards; Guile cannot ever threaten to Flash Kick while walking forwards. The charge inputs create qualitatively different gameplay than fractional-circle inputs (and both are qualitatively different from single-frame inputs). Dieminion's mastery of the Flash Kick inputs does not change the fact that Guile is unable to perform a Flash Kick while walking forwards, or out of a standing block for that matter. This has significant implications for what decisions a Guile player makes!

But L-canceling is different: it does not give rise to any gameplay differences like when Ryu can Shoryuken as distinct from when Guile can Flash Kick. No, L-canceling is not a huge hurdle, but it is an additional point of failure within your control of your character that provides no benefit of additional interaction to make up for that cost.

Content! I discovered that I still needed to change my Wii's system video settings from 480i to 480p for our new (to me) TV and it made everything so much better. Display lag is now (close to?) negligible! I can actually wavedash again and attack out of Mewtwo's Teleport and other things too! It's great. So don't be a dummy like I was -- make sure your Wii is in 480p mode!

I'm also finding that I can't do any light-shielding with my GC controller, even though I was pretty sure I grabbed the Full set. Anyone else seen that, or should I just try to reinstall it or anything?

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zelder posted:

Another music question, has anybody had that weird occurence where, the game will be playing some imported music, and then it'll suddenly just cut to a different imported song, and then cut back?

I currently have Dark Pit's theme over the Underworld theme on Skyworld, and about 3 minutes into the song, it'll stop and be replaced with a sped up version of Azure Blue World, which is a song I have on Smashville. Any idea why this would be happening?

I've had this happen, but only on Skyloft (I assumed it was something to do with the Hannibow stage just being weird).

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Zelder posted:

Are you using BCSM-GUI? I've had problems with that program doing that to me when I put in my songs. An easy fix is to put in your .brstm files manually: use BCSM-GUI to find what song you're replacing (for example, the Underworld theme in Skyworld is P01) and then renaming your music file to whatever that is (for example, renaming Dark Pit's theme to P01.brstm) and placing it in x:\projectm\pf\sound\strm.

Alternatively, move everything out of your SD card and reformat it, then move everything back in. It's a pain but it should do the trick.

Shadic
Sep 26, 2013

Abjad Soup posted:

Yeah and Endorph and miscellaneous14 know what I'm on about. Though if we accept for the sake of the argument that Project M had to duplicate Melee's L-canceling mechanics, I am very glad Project M added that white flash on a successful L-cancel.

Actually, they should do the same for when you initiate a fast-fall too (i.e. make that little sparkle like in 64).
...hey Shadic! You still around?

Turbo mode is kinda amazing, gotta agree.
Hey. I'm still around. Sorry, been working crazy hours this week.

Space T Rex posted:

They also took out my favorite map SSE: Jungle :(. I don't know how I could just be imagining this. The last version I played I was stepping all over dudes, and now I'm losing regularly to bots. I feels much heavier I think. It could be that bots are just better now, since I'm at a disadvantage and like the feel of the wii-mote better. So I dont L-cancel, I've never tried wavedashing, and there is no c-sticking with a wii-mote, but even so I kicked rear end in the last version I played.
Physics are essentially the same as last time, nobody is falling faster. (Generally, Melee characters have their exact same falling speeds as they did in Melee.) Maybe you're accidentally fast-falling?

As for music - That happens when an SD card is too fragmented - Overwriting files is the easiest way to screw it up. I'd just defrag the card if you're having that issue, or drag the entire SD card to your computer, delete everything on the card, and then drag it all back.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

Are you using BCSM-GUI? I've had problems with that program doing that to me when I put in my songs. An easy fix is to put in your .brstm files manually: use BCSM-GUI to find what song you're replacing (for example, the Underworld theme in Skyworld is P01) and then renaming your music file to whatever that is (for example, renaming Dark Pit's theme to P01.brstm) and placing it in x:\projectm\pf\sound\strm.

Alternatively, move everything out of your SD card and reformat it, then move everything back in. It's a pain but it should do the trick.

Yeah, reformatting it worked. Thanks!

And you're right, you can't change Skyloft's theme unfortunately.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Zelder posted:

And you're right, you can't change Skyloft's theme unfortunately.

You can, it's R03. You can't do it with BCSM-GUI, but you can replace it manually.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I watched that advanced techniques video and have started practicing a lot of what I feel like is useful for Ike, who I've mained since day one of Brawl. What else is useful to do to get into playing at the level of actual competitive players?

Also I'm assuming the PM metagame hasn't really worked itself out yet because of all of the new stuff, is that right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Shortest Path posted:

I watched that advanced techniques video and have started practicing a lot of what I feel like is useful for Ike, who I've mained since day one of Brawl. What else is useful to do to get into playing at the level of actual competitive players?

Ike has a few specific techniques that really help him out, mostly with his Quick Draw ability. This video is a bit old, but I'm pretty sure everything he does is still an option (except Ike is limited to 3 wall jumps now, instead of infinite). I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the QD grab chains and wall jumping specifically, so I'd say work on those first and go from there. I've been trying to track down some of Axis' Ike matches - he's a michigan player who is better known for playing anime fighting games - but Youtube isn't helping so if someone else can find a few definitely post them, dude is a joy to watch.

As for the meta, I'm not really sure how much has changed. Obviously things are getting shaken up, but the strong characters still feel really strong. Mario, Fox, Falco, Marth, Diddy, Falcon, and others that were amazing in 2.6 are still great (with the possible exception of Ivysaur, but I think some of that is just kneejerk), and I fully expect Kirby and maybe some of the other new guys to break that top 10 ranking. Who knows though!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Abjad Soup posted:

But L-canceling is different: it does not give rise to any gameplay differences like when Ryu can Shoryuken as distinct from when Guile can Flash Kick. No, L-canceling is not a huge hurdle, but it is an additional point of failure within your control of your character that provides no benefit of additional interaction to make up for that cost.

Your character moves faster and it's viscerally pleasing to pull off, how is this not a benefit?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Your character moves faster and it's viscerally pleasing to pull off, how is this not a benefit?
It provides no meaningful interactions. There is no reason not to L-cancel. Ergo, you could just make L-cancelling automatic and lose nothing in the process.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Ike has a few specific techniques that really help him out, mostly with his Quick Draw ability. This video is a bit old, but I'm pretty sure everything he does is still an option (except Ike is limited to 3 wall jumps now, instead of infinite). I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the QD grab chains and wall jumping specifically, so I'd say work on those first and go from there. I've been trying to track down some of Axis' Ike matches - he's a michigan player who is better known for playing anime fighting games - but Youtube isn't helping so if someone else can find a few definitely post them, dude is a joy to watch.

As for the meta, I'm not really sure how much has changed. Obviously things are getting shaken up, but the strong characters still feel really strong. Mario, Fox, Falco, Marth, Diddy, Falcon, and others that were amazing in 2.6 are still great (with the possible exception of Ivysaur, but I think some of that is just kneejerk), and I fully expect Kirby and maybe some of the other new guys to break that top 10 ranking. Who knows though!

That's a really, really great video, thanks. Time to go spend more hours practicing!

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think they meant that not L-canceling has no benefit, and thus making it require input is unnecessary because it creates a pointless entry barrier.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I've been playing around with some third party character skins. Is it not possible to have them work on Snake and Ike in 3.0 because of how heavily they've been modified? With Snake, every single one I've tried results in a frozen Wii.

Edit: It's just Snake because of his new assets like the tranquilizer gun.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 22, 2013

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I hate L-cancelling because I'm bad at it and it makes me bad at Melee. :mad:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Ike has a few specific techniques that really help him out, mostly with his Quick Draw ability. This video is a bit old, but I'm pretty sure everything he does is still an option (except Ike is limited to 3 wall jumps now, instead of infinite).

Holy christ. :staredog:

I mean I've been playing almost exclusively Ike since I downloaded 3.0 and some of this I already knew about (QD to jump-cancelled grabs and up-smashes) but seeing so many options is just insane.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I just got Project M working on Dolphin and I found out you can also do Netplay. Any goons care to try it out? It's kinda strange playing with a 360 controller, but I can still do all of the advanced techniques I could do with a GC pad and it's awesome playing the game at a full 60 in 1080+.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Since it's no longer working on the Wii, I tried playing on the Wii U. One one hand, I really don't like the wiimote controls, on the other, I finally learned how to use the Double Edge Dance!

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Shadic posted:

Hey. I'm still around. Sorry, been working crazy hours this week.

Physics are essentially the same as last time, nobody is falling faster. (Generally, Melee characters have their exact same falling speeds as they did in Melee.) Maybe you're accidentally fast-falling?

This is blowing my mind. The only explanation is I just got really bad at Project M since the last time I played it. Sad.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

So I just got Project M working on Dolphin and I found out you can also do Netplay. Any goons care to try it out? It's kinda strange playing with a 360 controller, but I can still do all of the advanced techniques I could do with a GC pad and it's awesome playing the game at a full 60 in 1080+.
Have you actually tried playing netplay yet? Because if you have and it works, I am 100% down with playing you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kaubocks posted:

Have you actually tried playing netplay yet? Because if you have and it works, I am 100% down with playing you.

I need to get it working on a friend's PC in order to test it out, apparently the emulator has to share some of the same settings on both PCs and they have to have the same save file so it seems a bit tricky to get set up.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alright, let me know how it works out for you. I played a handful of Melee net play a month or so ago and it took quite a bit to get set up and running. Even then you've gotta have a good ping with your opponent. I had 60-80 ping for the most part and there was still noticeable input lag. Probably serviceable if we don't take it too seriously but our matches probably wouldn't be as ~intense~ as they could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?
So I had that magic moment where a character just clicks, when I picked up 3.0 Zelda for the first time. Does she have any specific AT I should know about?

I lean pretty heavily on Din's Fire to make backboards and link jab/dash attack to UAir after they bounce back off the projectile.

• Locked thread