Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have enough of my Sisay EDH deck together that I decided to sleeve it up, put a few temp cards in for the stuff I'm missing, and try it out at casual EDH day at my LGS. While I was first out in the two games I played it, for once it was out of fear and respect rather than being the easy target. However, the deck felt kind of slow and I'm not sure what I'd do to change that-

Deck: Captain Sisay EDH

Display deck statistics

I have a Ghostly Prison in my "sideboard" (i.e. matchup specific legends/cards I don't know what to do with) that I could probably put maindeck, but I don't know where. On top of that, I currently have Konda, Reya Dawnbringer, and Myojin of Life's Web that I'm running as placeholder legends but I'm wondering if any of them are worth a full-time spot. Lastly, do you like Cultivate or Krosan Tusker (with its cycling ability) more as a way to find land for 2G?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

C-Euro posted:

I have enough of my Sisay EDH deck together that I decided to sleeve it up, put a few temp cards in for the stuff I'm missing, and try it out at casual EDH day at my LGS. While I was first out in the two games I played it, for once it was out of fear and respect rather than being the easy target. However, the deck felt kind of slow and I'm not sure what I'd do to change that-

Deck: Captain Sisay EDH

Display deck statistics

I have a Ghostly Prison in my "sideboard" (i.e. matchup specific legends/cards I don't know what to do with) that I could probably put maindeck, but I don't know where. On top of that, I currently have Konda, Reya Dawnbringer, and Myojin of Life's Web that I'm running as placeholder legends but I'm wondering if any of them are worth a full-time spot. Lastly, do you like Cultivate or Krosan Tusker (with its cycling ability) more as a way to find land for 2G?

My first thought would be the Tusker. You cycle it, and it draws you a card, and gets you a land that you can play later - plus it does it at instant speed. Whether you draw a land or not, this just about guarantees you a land-drop on your turn. Given that you are also running Piper's Melody and Krosan Reclamation, I don't see why this would be too bad of a choice to play.

I took apart White Weenie and made W/u heroics. My list now looks a bit like this:
Deck: Wu Heroics
Display deck statistics

Given the meta around here is mostly control-based (pick any combo of control) with a few creature-based decks that essentially try to overrun you with fatties, I figured this might be the way to go for some reason. Maybe I've made a bad call there and should just go back to mono-white.
In any case, I suddenly had a brain-wave about Blood Baron of Viskopa. I do remember running into it once or twice during last year, and figured that going mono-white, I have no real way of dealing with him, hence the Rapid Hybridizations in the SB. These would also deal with other problem cards I sometimes see in Polukronos, and the like, which I may also have the option to use detention spheres on if needed.

Am I placing too much emphasis on not many cards that may or may not show up in future match-ups?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're in blue anyway, Hidden Strings is a pretty solid Heroic enabler.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

If you're in blue anyway, Hidden Strings is a pretty solid Heroic enabler.

Agreed, I actually have a friend who just built a UW Heroic deck and he runs four Hidden Strings, though his favorite trick is to cipher it on Fabled Hero (another 4x in his list) to get twice as many triggers thanks to double strike. I only played a couple games against him so I don't know the full list, but I think he has a couple of other Cipher cards in there as well as Angelic Skirmisher for whatever reason.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

Agreed, I actually have a friend who just built a UW Heroic deck and he runs four Hidden Strings, though his favorite trick is to cipher it on Fabled Hero (another 4x in his list) to get twice as many triggers thanks to double strike. I only played a couple games against him so I don't know the full list, but I think he has a couple of other Cipher cards in there as well as Angelic Skirmisher for whatever reason.

The WU heroic deck I tooled around with was a little heavier on the blue side than what Man_alive posted using 4 x Battlewise Hoplite and 2 x Triton Fortune Hunter as well. My heroic triggers were 4 x Hidden Strings, 4 x Ordeal of Thassa, 3 x Aqueous Form, 4 x Gods Willing, and 2 x Mizzium Skin.

I found that while Fabled Hero is a ridiculous damage producer (especially with Strings cipher onto him), he is a little slow getting out, and sucks up too much mana (by being 3 mana and double-W at that) when you want to start suiting up your wrecking machine turn 1. Ideally, my deck wanted the following:

Turn 1: Favored Hoplite
Turn 2: Hidden Strings (untap FH + tap their creature if they have one or untap one land). Swing, trigger, untap. End turn as 3/4
Turn 3: Aqueous Form or a second Strings and Ordeal of Thassa. Swing, trigger, draw two, untap. End turn as 6/7.

From turn 3, you just want to leave a mana open and keep a Gods Willing or Mizzium Skin handy to protect your suited up guy. The best use I got out of Fabled Hero was as a distraction to absorb removal. Out of the dozen or so games I played, I think I only got to swing with him twice and it was on turn 5 or 6 when my opponent was basically dead, anyway, from being unable to remove my giant Favored or Battlewise Hoplites.

I didn't run any Phalanx Leaders instead opting for Precinct Captains. So, end all my list looked something like this:

4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Solider of the Pantheon
4 x Precinct Captain
4 x Battlewise Hoplite
2 x Fabled Hero
2 x Triton Fortune Hunter

4 x Hidden Strings
4 x Ordeal of Thassa
4 x Gods Willing
3 x Aqueous Form
2 x Mizzium Skin

4 x Hallowed Fountain
4 x Azorius Guildgate
8 x Plains
7 x Island

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Random thought about Murder<insert> deck, has anyone though about making it Murder zombie with Liliana's Reaver?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mindisgone posted:

Random thought about Murder<insert> deck, has anyone though about making it Murder zombie with Liliana's Reaver?

Eh, I considered it but there are a few problems with it:

-It's another 4cmc card that competes with Purphoros, Akroan Horse, and Trading Post, and I don't believe it's nearly as good

-Toughness 3 means it can crumple to Lighting Strike

-I really wish it had Fear or Intimidate instead of Deathtouch; without it, it can just be chump-blocked into irrelevance

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Well, I managed to build Murdergoats online. If you want to practice against it, shoot me a message sometime, name is also Malgrin there. Due to not wanting to drop another 8 tickets on Mortars, I've made some adjustments to the build I posted earlier. I traded for the essential pieces, and did a few substitutions, so here it is:
Murdergoats Online

I won't be on a whole lot today, but add me on there and if I'm online and not in a game, I probably want to play.
I'm actually liking the transition from MM to Lightning...although sometimes that board wipe is pretty important. I'm thinking I will pick up Anger for the sideboard...the matches where you want anger, Young Pyromancer isn't as good anyways. Yes, he produces chump blockers, but then you're just treading water. My sideboard is still being built, I want to see how this plays online before I spend time buying cards for the sideboard (e.g. do I really need to spend 20 tickets for a playset of thoughtseize?)

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

bhsman posted:

Eh, I considered it but there are a few problems with it:

-It's another 4cmc card that competes with Purphoros, Akroan Horse, and Trading Post, and I don't believe it's nearly as good

Well I would be replacing the Akroan Horse/Trading Post slot with it (and I never ran a version with play sets of both anyway so in a 4/2 scenario I would run replace the Horse every time for 2/2's instead of 1/1's).

bhsman posted:

-Toughness 3 means it can crumple to Lighting Strike

At the same time the Horse crumbles to Doomblade which the Reaver does not and I consider that and even trade, plus you don't have to give the opponent a blocker anymore.

bhsman posted:

-I really wish it had Fear or Intimidate instead of Deathtouch; without it, it can just be chump-blocked into irrelevance

Intimidate would be amazing, no argument there. I still believe trading post outclasses it but overall I still think it is a decent replacement for the horse. Couple it with your Gnawing Zombie for some added flavor.

Well anyway here is a mono black devotion deck I messed around with today for everyone to play with. I haven't looked at any of the black devotion decks currently in play so if there are a few I should be checking out for ideas I would love a link.

Deck: Black devotion

//Lands
24 Swamp

//Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Dark Prophecy
3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
3 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
4 Gnawing Zombie
4 Agent of the Fates
2 Nighthowler
4 Liliana's Reaver
3 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Gray Merchant of Asphodel

//Side Board

//Sideboard
4 Lifebane Zombie
4 Illness in the Ranks
4 Duress
3 Doom Blade

Display deck statistics

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mindisgone posted:

At the same time the Horse crumbles to Doomblade which the Reaver does not and I consider that and even trade, plus you don't have to give the opponent a blocker anymore.

Yeah, though Horse is surprisingly resilient because it can't be targeted by stuff like Chained to the Rocks, Mizzium Mortars, and Banisher Priest, all of which are prevalent in my matchups and all of which that can get rid of the Reaver.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

bhsman posted:

Yeah, though Horse is surprisingly resilient because it can't be targeted by stuff like Chained to the Rocks, Mizzium Mortars, and Banisher Priest, all of which are prevalent in my matchups and all of which that can get rid of the Reaver.

I once had a guy trying to pump Akroan horse so he could Selesnya Charm it. I beat him before that happened. There's very little removal that gets it. Doom Blade, Hero's Downfall, Dreadbore, Dimir Charm are the primary spells that do it, and of those, Hero's Downfall is the only one seeing a ton of play. Doom blade sees some sideboard play, but, MBC means it doesn't see much mainboard play. I play Horse sideboard, which means they almost certainly aren't going to bring in Doom blade against me (the creatures they'll see are Purph, YP, Tym, Phoenix, and tokens).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I haven't run into MBC/D yet, so Doom Blade has been some solid maindeck material for me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Don't forget Devour Flesh, which is actually quite a tempo swing when they're gaining life by killing something you spent mana and a card on.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jabor posted:

Don't forget Devour Flesh, which is actually quite a tempo swing when they're gaining life by killing something you spent mana and a card on.

Right, forgot that one. I also don't run Horse mainboard, and I bring it in to crush aggro decks. For the most part, I don't have to worry about Devour Flesh with Akroan horse, because even if they do bring in Devour Flesh for some reason, they're very likely to also have creatures on the board when I cast Horse. I guess this could be an issue against esper or wb aggro.

Wow. This new build is just brutal. I've played several matches so far, 2-0 in all but against GW, where I lost game 1 to a mull to 5 and multiple Voices. I really should trade for some Angers. The Annihilating fires and Akroan horses in the SB turned game 2 into a super long grind, and he conceded at ~30 life to my 10. I had purphoros, 10 mana, and 2 Trading posts in play. He also had a horse. Admittedly, my turns were taking a little long, what with saccing posts to draw cards, saccing soldiers to get trading post, recasting trading post, you know, the usual. He didn't want to play a 3rd game. Oh, the joys of making modo players angry.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 6, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Malgrin posted:

For the most part, I don't have to worry about Devour Flesh with Akroan horse, because even if they do bring in Devour Flesh for some reason, they're very likely to also have creatures on the board when I cast Horse.

It doesn't matter whether they have other creatures - if they target themselves, they get to choose what to sacrifice.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For people on the UW Heroic train, here's one by Cauldron Moose from a month and change ago that I've actually built and run to ok (Typically 2 or 3 match wins per FNM) performances. It's in need of tweaking, though, and I haven't worked on that yet.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
What do the current state of the art Maze's End Fog decks look like? I feel like putting one together in preparation for Kiora Atua coming out next month.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Deckit had the latest new deck list for it on page 47. It was a big switch from what I'd been running.

Here's the rakdos aggro standard I'm planning on running Saturday at the local tcgplayer bronze event. I'm looking for last minute updates on it, so I can hopefully pilot it to a top 4 win.

4 Blood Crypt
8 Mountain
10 Swamp
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Tormented Hero
2 Doom Blade
4 Lightning Strike
4 Madcap Skills
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Spike Jester
1 Thrill-Kill Assassin
4 Mogis's Marauder
3 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch

Sideboard:

1 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Thoughtseize
2 Dreadbore
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Burning Earth
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Whip of Erebos

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

What do the current state of the art Maze's End Fog decks look like? I feel like putting one together in preparation for Kiora Atua coming out next month.

Went to a win-a-box tournament at my LGS on Saturday with the listed deck. Went 1-2-1. :smith:

Round 1: Dimir Mill
Game 1: Thought he was mono-black at first, playing temples of deceit for scry. Then he played Jace, Mind Adept. He 0'd me once and hit one of my Crackling Perimeters. Played a few more turns but he milled me out. I managed to Slaughter Games him once to at least look at what was in his deck. Running 1 of Traumatize, Ashiok, Consuming Abberation, Jace, Mind Adept. :drat:

Game 2: I Slaughter Games on turn 4 and nail the Jace in his hand with Slaughter Games. Turn 5, Slaughter Games Consuming Abberation. He top decks Traumatize and hits me. I play a Crackling Perimeter and begin hitting him for 6+ damage per turn. He plays Archeomancer and traumatizes me again. :negative: I kill him with about 5 cards left in my deck via Perimeter.

Game 3: He got mana hosed and it sucked for him. I Slaughter Games Traumatize this time because gently caress. I kill him via Perimeter about 7 turns later while he's sitting at 4 mana still.

Round 2: :gop: Control

Game 1: "Well gently caress," when I play three guild gates. Didn't see a Slaughter games the entire game. I was one turn away from activating Maze's End for the win when I ran out of Fogs and his Assemble the Legion overran me. He countered every Riot Control and Aetherize I played.

Game 2: Lasted a drat long time. He played Blind Obedience and proceeded to Extort the hell out of me. Cast Thassa and since I didn't have anything for him to D.Sphere, he'd cast them and not exile anything, just to extort some more. At one point I was 4 life. Before combat, I overloaded Cyclonic Rift, since he tapped out for extorting me. He re-played Thassa and Blind Obedience. I Slaughter Games D.Sphere. Checking through his deck, he has no other way to activate Thassa. :smug: I go back up to 16 life or so and activate Maze's End for a win. We agree to take a tie since we have 5 minutes or so left for our 3rd game.

Round 3: U/W Control

Game 1: Terrible draws for me. I get land flooded without having Maze's End, getting doubles of Dimir Gate, Selesnya Gate and Gruul gate and both forests. He ultimates Elspeth and counters my last fog.

Game 2: Turn 1 he plays Pithing Needle for Maze's End. I draw three Maze's End. He counters my D.Sphere. I slaughter games Elspeth. I die to Aetherling when I run out fogs and riot controls, of the 5 I played, he countered 3.

Round 4: Boros Burn

Game 1: Die to Chandra's Phoenixs' early damage I didn't fog because I thought it was a RDW's with a slow draw. I'm at 16 when he unloads triple Boros Charm on me, then Warleader Helix's me on the next turn.

Game 2: I don't really have anything to stop burn, so I "aggressively" fog and riot control. He skull cracks through one of the riot controls to deal lethal damage with Young Pyromancer, Chandra Phoenix and tokens.

Was pretty :smith: at my draws and match up for the last two rounds, respectively.

I think if I go forward with the deck, I'm going to turn it into a more tool box deck and see how it does that way. A Golgari Charm would have helped in quite a few matches. Putrefy, which I think The_frozenflame suggested, would have been great too.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 6, 2014

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Deckit posted:

Putrefy, which I think kizudarake suggested, would have been great too.

Not me. I never ran into that much trouble that I needed to think about artifact and enchantment removal. Something I think'll work in there, maybe, is Hold the Gates, due to the number of guildgates in the deck. Usually, if I'm running the deck, I mull to as low as 5 if I don't have either a Maze's End or at least three different guildgates in my hand. Of course, if I have two land sources, at least one green, and a couple of the land tutors in my hand, I'll stick with it.

The deck runs best if you're shuffling like all the loving time, especially if the shuffling results in pulling out lands. If you get multiple maze's ends out, then once or twice you might crack two in a turn, just to thin your deck a little more. That's also why I run 5 fog effects, to make it more likely that I'll draw one after a reshuffle.

Also, if you've got crackling perimeter up and they pull out any planeswalker at all, redirect that turn's damage to their planeswalker, and then skip cracking Maze's end on your turn and just use those three extra gates to zap their walker off the field.

If they cast enchantment removal, immediately tap out your gates for another few points of damage. That damage will still resolve.

Overloading cyclonic rift works best when they have no mana left untapped on their turn. Then they might have to discard a couple if they have 8 or more cards in hand.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, it was The_Frozen Flame.

Aside from mulling aggressively and shuffling more than usually, most of that is what I was doing.

Is your version running more creatures for Hold the Gates?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Into the Wilds? For the fog version it seems pretty useful for getting "free" land drops and filtering the deck.

I ran Hold the Gates early on when my deck was basically $10 Gates + Maze's End, and it was a lot of fun. Then we had Lingering Souls for the creatures, we don't have that anymore.

(No "The" in my name, I'm not that original)

E: Molten Birth? No flying, but still a couple bodies for Hold the Gates to buff.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Not sure if this is a discussion for this thread of another one (I looked and didn't see a Draft thread but it may exist).

Every week I go play Draft at the LGS for FNM. Every week the same guy (Jan...*fist shake*) wins using basically the same deck of Blue and White. This week I went in and attempted to beat him at his own game...I did not as he handed me my only loss of the night. I'd love to beat him...

Is there a Draft deck building strategy for Theros? Do you guys have a card priority or a color priority that you can provide me to help construct a deck? I lucked out this past week and drafted an Elspeth, so that did help carry me in a couple games.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
/\/\/\ This is the thread you're looking for :)

Frozen_flame posted:

Into the Wilds? For the fog version it seems pretty useful for getting "free" land drops and filtering the deck.

I ran Hold the Gates early on when my deck was basically $10 Gates + Maze's End, and it was a lot of fun. Then we had Lingering Souls for the creatures, we don't have that anymore.

(No "The" in my name, I'm not that original)

E: Molten Birth? No flying, but still a couple bodies for Hold the Gates to buff.

In my admittedly limited testing, Into the Wilds has been the most miserable card to draw. At 4 mana, running almost all taplands, it's coming down way too late to take over the game better than any draw spell could do. And when it whiffs twice in a row, it hurts a lot. I can see maybe siding it in versus control, but there's other cards I'd rather side in.

This is the version I've been testing with. I'm not jazzed on the sideboard since almost the entirety of it is dedicated to attacking control decks, but the deck is a complete blast to play. I definitely think Sphinx's is the way to go with this deck, though Crackling Perimeter has proven to be much stronger than I thought it would be and makes lacking Sphinx's hurt a bit less.

Deck: Maze's End Fog

//Land
2 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Azorius Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Simic Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Forest
4 Maze's End

//Creatures
4 Saruli Gatekeepers
3 Gatecreeper Vine

//Spells
4 Fog
4 Druid's Deliverance
4 Defend the Hearth
2 Riot Control
1 Crackling Perimeter
4 Supreme Verdict
3 Divination
3 Urban Evolution
2 Ætherize

//Sideboard
3 Crackling Perimeter
3 Gainsay
2 Glare of Heresy
1 Pithing Needle
2 Riot Control
1 Bramblecrush
3 Detention Sphere

Display deck statistics

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Thank you!

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
What's a good base for a green ramp deck that you could use while changing out the things to be ramped into?

So far I've got

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Axebane Guardian
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Voyaging Satyr

and 4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Is that about it?

In a mono color format where everyone is running <22 lands, I'd really like to ramp into Mind Grind.

Boy, nothing like killing a thread for 9 hours to get the brewin' juices flowing.
I skipped nykthos and went straight to infinite mana.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/defender-ramp-06-01-14-1/

Deck: Defender Ramp

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
5 Forest
2 Island
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Mystery

//Spells
1 Mind Grind
4 Ready // Willing
1 Reap Intellect
3 Thoughtseize
4 Triton Tactics
1 Volcanic Geyser

//Creatures
4 Axebane Guardian
3 Doorkeeper
4 Elite Arcanist
3 Hired Torturer
4 Hover Barrier
3 Karametra's Acolyte
1 Meletis Charlatan
4 Sylvan Caryatid

Display deck statistics

So, using triton tactics or Ready and an Elite Arcanist or a Meletis Charlatan, and some way to generate the spell copy mana cost like axebane guardian or karametra's acolyte, we get infinite mana in all colors.

What do we do with it? Dump it into Doorkeeper or Hired Torturer or Volcanic Geyser or Mind Grind.

I know this deck will fail more often than it will go off, but I'm willing to bet watching it go off will be fun enough to make up for all the stinker matches. Plus, I can build this for like 0 dollars, so I'm gonna run it for a couple weeks.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 7, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

End of Life Guy posted:

Boy, nothing like killing a thread for 9 hours to get the brewin' juices flowing.
I skipped nykthos and went straight to infinite mana.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/defender-ramp-06-01-14-1/

Deck: Defender Ramp

So, using triton tactics or Ready and an Elite Arcanist or a Meletis Charlatan, and some way to generate the spell copy mana cost like axebane guardian or karametra's acolyte, we get infinite mana in all colors.

What do we do with it? Dump it into Doorkeeper or Hired Torturer or Volcanic Geyser or Mind Grind.

I know this deck will fail more often than it will go off, but I'm willing to bet watching it go off will be fun enough to make up for all the stinker matches. Plus, I can build this for like 0 dollars, so I'm gonna run it for a couple weeks.

I'm surprised you didn't throw the Zhur-Taa Druid finisher in there since you get infinite mana while burning your opponent down without the need of a separate kill card like Mind Grind.

Based on the UW heroic talk a few days ago, I decided to revisit and retool the deck, and I think I have it down to the most efficient pantsy version possible. Let me know what you guys think:

4 x Soldier of the Pantheon
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Battlewise Hoplite
4 x Precinct Captain
2 x Wavecrash Triton

2 x Ajani, Caller of the Pride

4 x Hidden Strings
4 x Gods Willing
4 x Ordeal of Thassa
3 x Aqueous Form
2 x Mizzium Skin

4 x Hallowed Fountain
4 x Azorius Guildgate
8 x Plains
7 x Islands

The biggest alterations were swapping Triton Fortune Hunter with Wavecrash Triton and Fabled Hero with Ajani. Ajani is the perfect finisher allowing your suited up guy to swing for upwards of 13 on Turn 4. And even if you don't completely finish them, you usually get 2 Hidden Strings Triggers which can either buff your guys more, keep their entire field tapped down with Wavecrash or free up all of your lands for further drops post-combat.
Speaking of Wavecrash, he is a god send against any agro decks, keeping big guys down or blocking weenies with his giant butt (hurr-durr!). At the end of the day, I found that the Ordeals are all the draw power I need. Really, the biggest weakness I have seen in the deck is Supreme Verdict. Against control match-ups, it is just a matter of hoping they get a semi-poo poo hand and playing your creatures a little slower.
The two items I'm still pondering are the side board and whether I should maindeck a Mutavault or two.

Sideboard I'm considering:
4 x Triton Tactics (vs. red/white weenies)
2 x Ordeal of Heliod (vs. burn and red weenies)
2 x Mizzium Skin (vs. Mono-B and control)
4 x Gainsay (vs. Mono-U and control)
3 x Detention Sphere (vs. Big-G, G/R, and manybe Mono-B)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 7, 2014

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Has anybody been able to put together a workable Izzet Blitz deck since rotation? A guy at my FLGS just started playing magic recently and he has his heart set on Izzet colours. He's been trying counter/burn for the last two weeks, and he's having fun, but he's tired of going 0-4 and 1-3 at FNM every week. So I'm thinking of helping him. Also, I'd like to keep it kinda budget, since it's just a casual FNM deck.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

4x Guttersnipe
4x Nivix Cyclops
4x Spellheart Chimera
4x Fluxcharger (there has to be something better than this to put in the deck right?)

4x Armed//Dangerous
4x Mizzium Skin
4x Aqueous Form
4x Titan's Strength
4x Teleportal
4x Cyclonic Rift

4x Steam Vents
4x Izzet Guild Gate
6x Island
6x Mountain

Considerations:

- I am considering 4x Goblin Electromancers instead of 4x Fluxchargers because the ability to drop the mana cost for overloads is awesome.

- Cut the gates and 1x island and 1x mountain for 3x breeding pool and 3x stomping ground so that late game you can Armed a Nivix Cyclops, Dangerous a chump, swing with both, and let the cyclops do mass damage.

- Aqueous Form: Sure it's an alright draft card, but am I putting too much importance on unblockable (the deck loving needs unblockable)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This one takes a different path (all in on Spellheart) but it does pretty well in the videos:
http://www.mtgoacademy.com/mtg-cribbs-23-blue-red-young-pyromancer-in-standard/

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
I made a budget Land Destruction deck that seems to really hold its own at FNM:

Shutting down 1 of my opponent's 2-3 colors was enough to win me the match. This version of the deck is more robust than what I used last week, and last week actually performed well. Last FNM I lost to: Green/White aggro and Black control, but won against: Green/Red midrange and W/U/B control.

What did I learn? Anger of the Gods is important against Pack Rats. Don't try to Destroy Mutavaults because they can be transformed into creatures and your "Destroy non-creature permanent" spell fizzles. Need at least one more win condition besides Ember Swallower just in case; OR just destroy enough lands to bring him out safely.

Things I did to it after FNM:
A. Added Burnished Hart. For blocking+sacrificing to get 2 more lands into play. Could have been super useful against the two decks I lost to.
B. Removed 5 unnecessary creatures (Axebane Guardian + defenders, for mana). Replaced with Burnished Hart and Voyaging Satyr.

Things I WANT to do:
A. Trade up to a Xenagos, the Reveler or two.
B. Trade up to scry lands.
C. Get rid of the Chromatic Lanterns if possible, to replace with something more viable (depending on how they perform).

My goal was to create a deck for under $20 that could be viable at FNM and this seems to be it. I love gimmicky decks and Land Destruction really works if they are unable to counter (on average) 1 land being destroyed per turn; 2 once it REALLY gets going.

Thoughts, critiques, etc?

BLUNDERCATS! noooo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 7, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Has anybody been able to put together a workable Izzet Blitz deck since rotation? A guy at my FLGS just started playing magic recently and he has his heart set on Izzet colours. He's been trying counter/burn for the last two weeks, and he's having fun, but he's tired of going 0-4 and 1-3 at FNM every week. So I'm thinking of helping him. Also, I'd like to keep it kinda budget, since it's just a casual FNM deck.

Considerations:

- I am considering 4x Goblin Electromancers instead of 4x Fluxchargers because the ability to drop the mana cost for overloads is awesome.

- Cut the gates and 1x island and 1x mountain for 3x breeding pool and 3x stomping ground so that late game you can Armed a Nivix Cyclops, Dangerous a chump, swing with both, and let the cyclops do mass damage.

- Aqueous Form: Sure it's an alright draft card, but am I putting too much importance on unblockable (the deck loving needs unblockable)

Brewed this up.
Deck: Izzet Budget Blitz?

//Lands
8 Island
4 Izzet Guildgate
10 Mountain

//Spells
2 Aqueous Form
4 Armed // Dangerous
2 Bioshift
4 Dynacharge
4 Mizzium Skin
4 Teleportal
4 Titan's Strength
2 Dispel

//Creatures
4 Nivix Cyclops
4 Nivmagus Elemental
4 Two-Headed Cerberus

Display deck statistics

If Magnus aren't budget enough, replace them with Blistercoil and the Bioshifts with 2 more Dispels. Whoops, forgot steamvents. Add those in.

Mizzium and Dispel to help protect your Nivix/Cerberus. Swing for Double Strike and Unblockable combos. Can also eat every small spell you play, giving Nivix the +3 for every spell cast, give him or Cererbus Unblockable, then Bioshift all the tokens from Niv Magus to Nivix/Cerberus. :unsmigghh:

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

I made a budget Land Destruction deck that seems to really hold its own at FNM:

Shutting down 1 of my opponent's 2-3 colors was enough to win me the match. This version of the deck is more robust than what I used last week, and last week actually performed well. Last FNM I lost to: Green/White aggro and Black control, but won against: Green/Red midrange and W/U/B control.

What did I learn? Anger of the Gods is important against Pack Rats. Don't try to Destroy Mutavaults because they can be transformed into creatures and your "Destroy non-creature permanent" spell fizzles. Need at least one more win condition besides Ember Swallower just in case; OR just destroy enough lands to bring him out safely.

Things I did to it after FNM:
A. Added Burnished Hart. For blocking+sacrificing to get 2 more lands into play. Could have been super useful against the two decks I lost to.
B. Removed 5 unnecessary creatures (Axebane Guardian + defenders, for mana). Replaced with Burnished Hart and Voyaging Satyr.

Things I WANT to do:
A. Trade up to a Xenagos, the Reveler or two.
B. Trade up to scry lands.
C. Get rid of the Chromatic Lanterns if possible, to replace with something more viable (depending on how they perform).

My goal was to create a deck for under $20 that could be viable at FNM and this seems to be it. I love gimmicky decks and Land Destruction really works if they are unable to counter (on average) 1 land being destroyed per turn; 2 once it REALLY gets going.

Thoughts, critiques, etc?

Oh dang I like that list. Maybe Ghor-clan Rampager instead of Chromatic for some meat and one-time trample on Ember Swallower.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 7, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

4x Guttersnipe
4x Nivix Cyclops
4x Spellheart Chimera
4x Fluxcharger (there has to be something better than this to put in the deck right?)

4x Armed//Dangerous
4x Mizzium Skin
4x Aqueous Form
4x Titan's Strength
4x Teleportal
4x Cyclonic Rift

4x Steam Vents
4x Izzet Guild Gate
6x Island
6x Mountain

Considerations:

Why not just give him Murderhorse? I am sure if you TRY you can adapt enough for UR. Put in a Nivix Guildmage to copy that Molten Birth (win or lose the coinflip you can get a second cast). With counter spells and Young Pyromancer you still get elemental tokens as well. You'd lose Dreadbore/Doom Blade as possible creature removal, but with Shock and the guildmage you can definitely pump out tokens while trying to clear creatures.

Is he into the whole burn strategy or does he want to go more aggro?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Has anyone else tried running Blood Scrivener in Rakdos Aggro? I recently put two into the deck and I like it quite a bit. If you don't win in the normal 4 turns, it definitely helps you keep up the pace and not run out of gas. It's so easy to go Hellbent with that deck, and drawing two cards every turn is a pretty great way to keep pace and piss off control players. At worst, it's a 2/1 for 2.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Has anyone else tried running Blood Scrivener in Rakdos Aggro? I recently put two into the deck and I like it quite a bit. If you don't win in the normal 4 turns, it definitely helps you keep up the pace and not run out of gas. It's so easy to go Hellbent with that deck, and drawing two cards every turn is a pretty great way to keep pace and piss off control players. At worst, it's a 2/1 for 2.

I'm trying out a Dimir version with Duskmantle Guildmage for that reason, plus a lot of decks are not at all designed to play around having a Dark Confidant. I expect my opponent drawing an Arbor Colossus will win a few games.

Edit: also, I have considered the Scrivener. What did you take out for him?

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 8, 2014

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: also, I have considered the Scrivener. What did you take out for him?

I took out 1 Thrill Kill Assassin, who always seems like it's just a little too slow, and 1 Exava so I'm only running 3.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ok, so I had a budget token deck that was based around Populate, but it doesn't quite perform the way I'd like. I have been messing around with attempting an Assemble the Phalanx Leader concept. Let me know if you guys think this can work. I know it has some ramp up time, but if I can keep the Phalanx Leader safe I think this can work.

Assemble the Phalanx Leader

Edit: I also have a couple Elspeth I can put in the deck too, but wasn't sure if I could pull it off?

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 9, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

So I've been trying out that Possibility Storm/ Enter the Infinite deck that was posted here a while back. It's actually super fun, but not very viable for tournament play. Slaughter Games absolutely wrecks your strategy, and if your Borborygmos is already in the graveyard via mill or discard, it's over.

Here's how the deck I built looks:

Lands:
8x Mountains
11x Forest
2x Simic Guildgate
2x Izzet Guildgate
2x Gruul Guildgate

Creatures:
3x Elvish Mystic
3x Satyr Hedonist
2x Voyaging Satyr
2x Sylvan Caryatid
1x Borborygmos, Enraged

Sorcery:
4x Molten Birth
2x Divination
2x Enter the Infinite

Instant:
1x Tower Defense

Enchantment:
4x Possibility Storm
4x Mana Bloom
1x Primeval Bounty
2x Verdant Haven
1x Into the Wild

Artifact:
2x Strionic Resonator
1x Codex Shredder

I know I need shock- and scrylands. I just don't have them and I'm not willing to drop money on a janky deck. Aside from the land base, here are some of my observations:

* Satyr Hedonist is super good here. The original list a I saw a month ago didn't have it. It allows me to stick a Possibility Storm much sooner, which screws up Control matches much easier.
* Codex Shredder works nicely in a pinch -- I can blow it up and go get a Molten Birth if I lack sorceries. I'm considering bumping the count up to 2.
* Tower Defense is super feel-bad. Honestly, it's only in there to bolster my 1/1s while I dig for a Possibility Storm. I want it out, so I will probably make the trade for another Codex Shredder.
* I might drop Mana Bloom down to ~2 copies. I hate cascading into another one of those when I need a Verdant Haven or Primeval Bounty.
* If I get to it, Strionic Resonator really puts the deck into high gear. Doubling the Possibility Storm effect means a doubled chance to get an Enter the Infinite. I like it here.

So, goons: What do you think should be added/removed from this deck?

e: Really, the deck is a 'card-type matters' deck. Since, I want to get rid of Tower Defense, Instant is wide open. What sort of instants should I run? If I run only copies of 1 card, playing a instant guarantees that it will be the same card after possibility storm. What should that instant be?

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 9, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

How much are Shocks by you? Shocks are a nickle here and the scry lands are like a buck each.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

OssiansFolly posted:

How much are Shocks by you? Shocks are a nickle here and the scry lands are like a buck each.

If you can get a shock land for five cents, buy all of them up and start flipping them, they go for about six to nine dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

OssiansFolly posted:

Sorry, I refer to Shocklands (Stomping Grounds, Breeding Pool, etc) with the colloquial 'Shocks.' I should have been more clear. They are called thusly because of their hallmark ability to 'Shock' yourself to bring them into play untapped.

e: And Scrylands are somewhere around 200¥~500¥ here ($2~$5 USD) depending on the colors, so it sounds like you might be getting a bargain where you're at.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 9, 2014

• Locked thread