Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ArchRanger posted:

From my experience playing as Government-in-exile Poland, every province rebelling in the middle of winter with the main body of the German army a dozen provinces away every single one of the rebels will be killed in less than a week for no gain whatsoever. I tried having the entire country revolt on four different occasions and it didn't even slow the Germans down.

I figured as much since I didn't touch the militia techs but my plan for them is to make the Germans fight them instead of reinforcing southern Ukraine and to torch their logistics by damaging as much infrastructure as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

ZearothK posted:

I appreciate the endorsement (hey, the mod maker here!), but I would advise not to download it right now. Riso found some of the bugs that were making the game crash (making him a lot more useful than the Clausewitz Validator) so I'll be updating with those fixes... Uh... Before sunday.

Are you still going to do this? I wanted to try out an alternative scenario for V2, and Srbija looks pretty neat.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GrossMurpel posted:

People not being able to buy luxury goods and factories not being able to make a profit because the input goods cost too much.

This is offset slightly if you're playing a country that is minimally reliant on the world market for its industry's raw materials (like if you have a substantial furniture/luxury furniture industry as Brazil, for instance).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Morholt posted:

Are you still going to do this? I wanted to try out an alternative scenario for V2, and Srbija looks pretty neat.

Yes, I just had a lot of stuff showing up, so I had a lot less free time than antecipated this last week.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 12, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Drone posted:

This is offset slightly if you're playing a country that is minimally reliant on the world market for its industry's raw materials (like if you have a substantial furniture/luxury furniture industry as Brazil, for instance).

Yeah, but a country that doesn't import things will not get much money in tariffs. I generally try to base my economy on a 0% tariff policy, I only increase them when I need a short burst of cash, but loans are better for that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Disco Infiva posted:

Yeah, but a country that doesn't import things will not get much money in tariffs. I generally try to base my economy on a 0% tariff policy, I only increase them when I need a short burst of cash, but loans are better for that.

I tend to play in South America a lot (or otherwise periphery nations that, while civilized, are pretty poor or underdeveloped, like Transvaal), and I usually go full-on protectionism for the first couple of decades with 100% tariffs until I get my literacy up and get a little homegrown industry, then I can slowly bring them down to zero, usually by 1860ish.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Drone posted:

I tend to play in South America a lot (or otherwise periphery nations that, while civilized, are pretty poor or underdeveloped, like Transvaal), and I usually go full-on protectionism for the first couple of decades with 100% tariffs until I get my literacy up and get a little homegrown industry, then I can slowly bring them down to zero, usually by 1860ish.

True, I also crank up tariffs to balance the budget if I am poor and/or uncivilized, and my goal is also to always survive on taxes alone. High tariffs can really hurt in the long run.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The only time I ever used tariffs for more than a short term cash boost was when I was trying to form India as the Sikh Empire in NNM. There's just no way to balance the budget otherwise, you don't get much money and westernizing takes ages.

EDIT: And I just remembered: gently caress England. They sphered me and then my tariffs went down to nothing and with that my budget flatlined.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 12, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Historically most nations relied on tariffs and excise taxes. Income taxes really didn't exist until the end of the 19th/early 20th century.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Riso posted:

Historically most nations relied on tariffs and excise taxes. Income taxes really didn't exist until the end of the 19th/early 20th century.

The biggest visible flaw of Victoria 2's economy is that you can't set tariffs by good, or at least by category. I should be able to all but block imports of non-native grains and meats while letting luxuries my nation doesn't grow in with no problem.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Please do this for Victoria 3, Paradox.

I used to abuse the hell out of this to create mega-industrial hellscape cities by decreasing taxes on petrochemical and steel industries to zero while taxing everything else. It was lovely. :allears:

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Kavak posted:

The biggest visible flaw of Victoria 2's economy is that you can't set tariffs by good, or at least by category. I should be able to all but block imports of non-native grains and meats while letting luxuries my nation doesn't grow in with no problem.

Just tax the poors.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DrSunshine posted:

I used to abuse the hell out of this to create mega-industrial hellscape cities by decreasing taxes on petrochemical and steel industries to zero while taxing everything else. It was lovely. :allears:

I feel like I should know what game this is but I don't :ohdear:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like Simcity

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

You can't keep exploiting the proletariat! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I feel like I should know what game this is but I don't :ohdear:

It's SimCity2000! I used to play it in my formative years, so I think it's what started me on a lifelong love of complicated simulation games, which led me, obviously, to Paradox.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What is the deal with hosts in CK2? It seems like every ten years there's some random noble I've never heard of marshalling 50,000 troops to invade my kingdom. Where the hell do all these people come from, and is there any way to prevent them other than assassinating the guy in question or defeating his army?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

vyelkin posted:

What is the deal with hosts in CK2? It seems like every ten years there's some random noble I've never heard of marshalling 50,000 troops to invade my kingdom. Where the hell do all these people come from, and is there any way to prevent them other than assassinating the guy in question or defeating his army?

I'm pretty certain that hosts only form if there's an unlanded male claimant in a foreign realm, so if you can keep that to a minimum, then I don't think hosts should form.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Who should I message about being reinvited to ParaSkype? I guess I left it when I'd gone a while without playing Paradox games.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

It's SimCity2000! I used to play it in my formative years, so I think it's what started me on a lifelong love of complicated simulation games, which led me, obviously, to Paradox.

SimCity2000, and the other SimCity games, are hilarious because they're set in an alternate universe where supply-side economics is an immutable scientific fact and lowering taxes is always the right answer in every situation. Conversely, if you raise taxes above a certain magic threshold the entire loving city collapses.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

SimCity2000, and the other SimCity games, are hilarious because they're set in an alternate universe where supply-side economics is an immutable scientific fact and lowering taxes is always the right answer in every situation. Conversely, if you raise taxes above a certain magic threshold the entire loving city collapses.

If that's the case, do you suppose that they exist in the same dimension Victoria 2 lives in, then?

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
SimCity1900: Heart of Victoria

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Rincewind posted:

Who should I message about being reinvited to ParaSkype? I guess I left it when I'd gone a while without playing Paradox games.

Yo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is there some kind of guide somewhere for March of the Eagles? I just downloaded the demo on Steam because it's the only recent Paradox game I haven't played (and from rereading Wiz's Azerbaijan LP, I was interested). I have no clue what I'm doing.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
If you're playing anyone other than France or potentially Russia you're probably ultimately screwed in MotE anyway. Literally just throwing armies at things as France with no idea what im doing or how to build a decent army just results in everything being blue.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Westminster System posted:

If you're playing anyone other than France or potentially Russia you're probably ultimately screwed in MotE anyway. Literally just throwing armies at things as France with no idea what im doing or how to build a decent army just results in everything being blue.

Sounds pretty historically accurate. :france:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Drone posted:

Is there some kind of guide somewhere for March of the Eagles? I just downloaded the demo on Steam because it's the only recent Paradox game I haven't played (and from rereading Wiz's Azerbaijan LP, I was interested). I have no clue what I'm doing.

I would start as Russia, being up against one side of the map makes things easier, and then having massive amounts of manpower also makes things easier. I go for Persia first, after that you may want to go for Sweden, or continue with the south and roll into the Ottomans.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So apparently Steam finally got around to officially patching Darkest Hour to 1.3. Anyone know why it took them 9 months for something so simple?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kavak posted:

So apparently Steam finally got around to officially patching Darkest Hour to 1.3. Anyone know why it took them 9 months for something so simple?

Hmm, I manually updated it to 1.3 a while back and turned off auto updates. Now STEAM wants me to update since it doesn't recognize that I already have it. If I allow it to autoupdate will it gently caress things up or just not change anything?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It reset some settings but everything appears to be fine. I'm just hoping this means Patch 1.4 is imminent. :pray:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So, are there any decent LPs of March of the Eagles floating around? The MotE segment of Wiz's Azerbaijan LP has always made me curious about it, but not curious enough to plonk down $20 for it yet. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kavak posted:

I was just thinking about this the other day, I'm glad they finally came around. I don't think the DH team ever really gave an answer about why they took so long and if the bottleneck was with them or with Steam... even if DH isn't exactly a big product for Steam, I can't see them needlessly putting a patch for ANY of their games on the backburner as long as the publisher has provided it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Speaking of DH, is the USA in Kaiserreich meant to be this badly nerfed as far as IC goes? I just came out of the American Civil War ready to rebuild a modern navy and fill out my army, but it looks like that's never going to happen because I've gotten hit by the -80% peacetime modifier I had before the civil war. It almost feels like it would have been better in the long run to keep one of the CSA or the AUS confined to a single province so that I could actually make use of all of the IC I have when I'm at war.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

BBJoey posted:

Speaking of DH, is the USA in Kaiserreich meant to be this badly nerfed as far as IC goes? I just came out of the American Civil War ready to rebuild a modern navy and fill out my army, but it looks like that's never going to happen because I've gotten hit by the -80% peacetime modifier I had before the civil war. It almost feels like it would have been better in the long run to keep one of the CSA or the AUS confined to a single province so that I could actually make use of all of the IC I have when I'm at war.

I think you can get some later events to reduce the IC penalty, depending what version of KR you're playing. Assuming you plan to fight someone in Europe or Asia (of course you do because why haven't you quit the game yet otherwise) you may as well just declare war on them though, they can't exactly jump you while you're weak with a huge army easily.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

BBJoey posted:

KR goes out of its way to prevent the US from becoming a global superpower by hitting it with IC penalties and IC removal and everything it can do to cripple American industry. You have to kind of game KR to keep American industry at something nice for the US.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I can see why they do it though. A four-way Civil War (more than that if Canada and Mexico get involved) with WW2-era technology should be pretty devastating to a country's ability to spring back.

Then again this is also really, really poorly modeled in Europe as well, so :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Did anyone post this yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKcs-zlVl1I
CoP map stuff.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Johan saying "nifty cool" is adorable. :shobon:

Probably a Day 1 purchase for me, even if EU4 is my least favourite title, as I always seem to end up map-painting in it, more than other paradox things. I think a randomised new world will make things more snazzy in that respect.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

Did anyone post this yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKcs-zlVl1I
CoP map stuff.

For all mentions of the possibility I don't think I've seen any development screenshots with the new world being a handful of tiny islands. Though by now there's not really a point in asking about that since it won't be long before release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'll probably give randomized new world a try in like... one game, then just wait for its generator to be improved a bit. As it stands right now, the random continents just look like awful stuff you see people sculpting by hand in Sim City 4.

I mean I don't mind the inland stuff, but the coastlines just look... real bad.

• Locked thread