Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Plinkey posted:

Probably not, I'm not even sure how long PRK has been around. My sister just had it done because she is thinking about flying helicopters if she can get a spot. She said it was awful, basically out of work on pain meds for 5 days during the recovery.

LASIK is a no-go for vision correction apparently because of the chance of a flap coming off.

This is also pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn6CgKEuB-M

The USAF has allowed LASIK for pilots since 2007, with the primary reason for not allowing it previously being that they were still in the process of evaluating whether there was any danger of something like that happening. The answer was, no, the area cut during LASIK won't come loose after it heals.

Basically you're dumb if you get PRK at this point because it's a much more invasive and potentially damaging surgery for at best the same results.
Edit: It also has a substantially longer and more painful recovery period.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Warbadger posted:

The USAF has allowed LASIK for pilots since 2007, with the primary reason for not allowing it previously being that they were still in the process of evaluating whether there was any danger of something like that happening. The answer was, no, the area cut during LASIK won't come loose after it heals.

Basically you're dumb if you get PRK at this point because it's a much more invasive and potentially damaging surgery for at best the same results.

Is the army different? I think she got it done around 2011 so not 'just' but somewhat recently.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Plinkey posted:

Is the army different? I think she got it done around 2011 so not 'just' but somewhat recently.

I don't know when the Army started allowing LASIK, but I believe it's currently permitted.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got PRK a few years ago because LASIK sounded freaky with getting in there with a knife etc. It was slightly uncomfortable for less than a week but then again my perscription wasn't very strong so they didn't have to ablate much.

So glad I did it, gently caress glasses n contacts!!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Plinkey posted:

Probably not, I'm not even sure how long PRK has been around. My sister just had it done because she is thinking about flying helicopters if she can get a spot. She said it was awful, basically out of work on pain meds for 5 days during the recovery.

LASIK is a no-go for vision correction apparently because of the chance of a flap coming off.

This is also pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn6CgKEuB-M

I know PRK wasn't an option around 2000-2003 when I asked a recruiter when I was in high school. No flying my dream F-16 for me :sigh:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Totally TWISTED posted:

I know PRK wasn't an option around 2000-2003 when I asked a recruiter when I was in high school. No flying my dream F-16 for me :sigh:

I graduated high school around the same time with the same crushed dream. :smith::respek::smith:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
In the late 80's , life set me up with Top Gun and Iron Eagle then crushed me when I found out I would not be flying my dream planes.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
If it makes you guys feel any better if you had gotten in your dreams would've been crushed way more brutally by the service of your choice and then you'd be posting with the rest of us bitter alcoholics in GiP until the day you got your DD214 and flipped off the base sign on your way out the gate for the last time.

So basically what I am saying is that having bad eyesight was your genes' way of doing you a huge favor.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iyaayas01 posted:

If it makes you guys feel any better if you had gotten in your dreams would've been crushed way more brutally by the service of your choice and then you'd be posting with the rest of us bitter alcoholics in GiP until the day you got your DD214 and flipped off the base sign on your way out the gate for the last time.

So basically what I am saying is that having bad eyesight was your genes' way of doing you a huge favor.

Nah, I went straight contractor life is great.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Since we're on vision chat: Paul Newman was a tail gunner on TBF Avengers during WW2. He wanted to be a pilot but was disqualified due to color-blindness.

I recently finished reading "Skunk Works," by Ben Rich, first a worker and later the director of Lockheed's Skunk Works. He started there in the 50s, worked on the U-2, the SR-71, the D-21 drone that just got a writeup in the AI aviation thread, and the F-117. The book was a pretty fascinating insider account, particularly when he got to talking about the process of building the SR-71 and all the technical stuff they had to figure out on the fly because no one had ever built something out of titanium on that large a scale. At the end he talked about how the aviation industry has changed since he started, and identified some trends in aviation that he wasn't too fond of, most of which have proven to be solid predictions in the twenty-odd years since the book was published. I'd say it's definitely worth a read.
http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389580250&sr=8-1&keywords=skunk+works

TheNakedJimbo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 13, 2014

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Since we're on vision chat: Paul Newman was a tail gunner on TBF Avengers during WW2. He wanted to be a pilot but was disqualified due to color-blindness.

I recently finished reading "Skunk Works," by Ben Rich, first a worker and later the director of Lockheed's Skunk Works. He started there in the 50s, worked on the U-2, the SR-71, the D-21 drone that just got a writeup in the AI aviation thread, and the F-117. The book was a pretty fascinating insider account, particularly when he got to talking about the process of building the SR-71 and all the technical stuff they had to figure out on the fly because no one had ever built something out of titanium on that large a scale. At the end he talked about how the aviation industry has changed since he started, and identified some trends in aviation that he wasn't too fond of, most of which have proven to be solid predictions in the twenty-odd years since the book was published. I'd say it's definitely worth a read.
http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389580250&sr=8-1&keywords=skunk+works

And the kindle edition is half off right now. Just bought it, thanks. Sounds like it'll be a really interesting read.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Thirding or fourthing that that book is almost required reading. The bit about the F117 mockup radar test is worth it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mortabis posted:

What are the vision requirements? My friend's dad had to get a waiver to be a BUFF nav, and he was an academy graduate in '78 or so.
I've never bothered to find out, my vision's been in the 20/10 range for years. Everyone I know who's played the vision game has ended up down a twisting rabbit hole of AFIs and waiver policies.

fuf posted:

Nope apparently only 18-35%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

Article says it's dangerous for pilots, but doesn't say it excludes anyone from being a pilot. I definitely read that once though.
I'm almost certain this has never come up. I know I didn't get tested for it.

And as iyaayas said, those of you who never followed your dreams of being a fighter pilot have only missed out on being sent to do a job you hate in the parched rear end in a top hat of the Middle East due to "needs of the service."

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I had my hopes and dreams of flying helicopters dashed by color blindness. Thanks, jerks. :(

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

And as iyaayas said, those of you who never followed your dreams of being a fighter pilot have only missed out on being sent to do a job you hate in the parched rear end in a top hat of the Middle East Nevada due to "needs of the service."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Akion posted:

I had my hopes and dreams of flying helicopters dashed by color blindness. Thanks, jerks. :(

I had mine crushed by my inability to not get nauseous on things as innocuous as a merry go round. Stupid lovely inner ear.

Cold war content: As a child of the 80s, I got to read all sorts of "end of the world" kid lit. One of the books that freaked me out for a long time involved a kid stealing an electronic chess game from the mall radio shack, and somehow that playing out being juxtaposed over the fear of nuclear annihilation. I cannot find what that book was. Sound familiar to anyone?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Speaking for myself, no amount of OH YOU DID YOURSELF A FAVOR will ever, ever wash away the pain of not being able to fly F-15s because of my only marginally not-good-enough eyesight.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

stealie72 posted:

I had mine crushed by my inability to not get nauseous on things as innocuous as a merry go round. Stupid lovely inner ear.

Cold war content: As a child of the 80s, I got to read all sorts of "end of the world" kid lit. One of the books that freaked me out for a long time involved a kid stealing an electronic chess game from the mall radio shack, and somehow that playing out being juxtaposed over the fear of nuclear annihilation. I cannot find what that book was. Sound familiar to anyone?

Wow, I don't think I have even thought about this book in the last two decades, but

This?

is that the one?

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 13, 2014

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Holy poo poo, yes. Goons are the best.

Searching google for things about the cold war and chess brings up a lot of Kasparov pages.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

stealie72 posted:

Holy poo poo, yes. Goons are the best.

Searching google for things about the cold war and chess brings up a lot of Kasparov pages.

I didn't remember the name, but got it through "boy steals electronic chess game book"

I vaguely remember reading it and then asking my parents about nuclear war, and getting a "well everyone would die horribly but it probably won't happen so don't worry" talk which promptly scared the crap out of me. Book was pretty cool from what I remember though.

As for my broken military dreams, from around age 5 I wanted to be a pilot in the RAF and so after talking with the careers office around age 14, they suggested I join air cadets as soon as I could, wherein I promptly got involved in a lot of drugs and partying with occasional drill or flying experiences, and the prospect of stopping all that fun to go join up was no longer attractive, especially as all the :420: was starting to hippie-fie me and the thought of maybe killing people just wasn't cool maaaan.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I didn't even want to be a fighter pilot I just wanted to fly Herculeses (herculii?)

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

stealie72 posted:

Don't know that one, but it reminds me of Cloak and Dagger, which pretty much ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOh4PeDIkWs

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Kindle daily deal for today is Red Eagles: Americas Secret MiGs, about the US aggressor training program using Soviet airframe examples (which were mostly from defectors if I recall correctly.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X7533K/

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is a good book and for $2 it's a steal. Everyone read it.

Some were defectors and some others were part of the deals the US made to sell jets to other countries. Part of the deal was that if they wanted to buy US made jets we got what we wanted of their MiGs. I think mostly from Egypt and Indonesia.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Done and done.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What was the deal with countries in the Middle East burning MiGs in sand? Discreet disposal? Save em for later? Can they be restored from that? I recall there was a few in the region especially Iraq.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Iraq was trying pretty much anything to keep their poo poo from getting blown up once it was clear they had utterly lost the air war. In the air or at a base they were going to get destroyed. Landing their planes in Iran ended up with Iran going "Thanks for the free planes bro" so they tried burying them to be recovered later.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

"Saddam cannot keep?"

"No, Saddam cannot keep."

Amazing to think they could recover something like a supersonic aircraft that had been packed in sand. Did they protect engine components or anything or was it just God's will if it will work again?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

priznat posted:

"Saddam cannot keep?"

"No, Saddam cannot keep."

Amazing to think they could recover something like a supersonic aircraft that had been packed in sand. Did they protect engine components or anything or was it just God's will if it will work again?

From what I can find in a quick search, apparently some did have some protection before burial, plastic sheeting, intake plugs, etc etc, but others were buried with no protection at all, probably in the rush to get it done before the bombers got to them.

As to getting them running again, airplanes aren't quite THAT fragile, and Russian aircraft are renown for hilarious-level durability, but it would have been quite the effort even in peacetime, with good parts support, and knowledgeable mechanics, probably neither of which was something the Iraqis had even BEFORE the invasion.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MrYenko posted:

From what I can find in a quick search, apparently some did have some protection before burial, plastic sheeting, intake plugs, etc etc, but others were buried with no protection at all, probably in the rush to get it done before the bombers got to them.

As to getting them running again, airplanes aren't quite THAT fragile, and Russian aircraft are renown for hilarious-level durability, but it would have been quite the effort even in peacetime, with good parts support, and knowledgeable mechanics, probably neither of which was something the Iraqis had even BEFORE the invasion.

Uhhh, a lot of Soviet aircraft are actually huge maintenance hogs. The MiG-25 and MiG-23 are both in that category (also examples of things the Iraqis buried). I'm kinda curious why you'd think Soviet aircraft were really notable for durability.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 14, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I guess it came down to "might get destroyed by encasing in sand" vs "definitely will get destroyed by laser guided munitions/aa missiles"

And pretty much anything can get restored especially in a fairly corrosion free environment like that but the amount of effort it would take would be quite something.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Warbadger posted:

Uhhh, a lot of Soviet aircraft are actually huge maintenance hogs. The MiG-25 and MiG-23 are both in that category (as examples of things the Iraqis buried).

I don/t have first hand experience with anything Russian, but there is a difference between reliability and being a maintenance whore. See: DC-10 vs L1011. The L1011 was actually better designed from a mechanic's point of view, with most systems laid out with an eye towards maintainability. The DC-10 on the other hand... I have some anecdotes for you.

"gently caress YOU, WE'RE PUTTING THE PDM FOR THE T/R ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PYLON, ABOVE THE ENGINE, YOU'RE JUST GOING TO HAVE TO PRECARIOUSLY STAND ON THE ENGINE FOR TWO HOURS TO CHANGE IT. IF IT'S NUMBER TWO ENGINE, I HOPE YOU HAVE LIFE INSURANCE. gently caress YOU."

-Douglas Aircraft pneumatic system engineer, circa 1968.

"gently caress YOU, WE KNOW YOU NEED EASY ACCESS TO THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM SERVICING MANIFOLD, SO WE'RE PUTTING THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM SERVICING RESERVOIR AND PORTS IN THE GODAMNED WHEELWELL. NO WE AREN'T INTEGRATING A GODDAMNED LADDER, RIDE THE GEAR DOOR, AND DON'T SLIP. gently caress YOU."

-Douglas Aircraft hydraulic systems engineer, circa 1968.

The big difference is, the DC-10 honestly doesn't break that often. The L1011 breaks all the godamned time. Maintainability is key, and if their cockpit ergonomics are anything to go by, I'm betting its something the Russians never really took very seriously...

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Alaan posted:

Iraq was trying pretty much anything to keep their poo poo from getting blown up once it was clear they had utterly lost the air war. In the air or at a base they were going to get destroyed. Landing their planes in Iran ended up with Iran going "Thanks for the free planes bro" so they tried burying them to be recovered later.
I never understood why they thought the Iranians would help them out period. Its not like the iran-iraq war was that long ago and that poo poo was bitter

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Epiphyte posted:

I never understood why they thought the Iranians would help them out period. Its not like the iran-iraq war was that long ago and that poo poo was bitter

International pariahs tend to stick together.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

But not when they had been in an ugly war only a decade before.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Alaan posted:

More like a "the enemy of my enemy" kinda thing, probably. Plus, I would not be surprised if Iran was pushing Iraq to send planes to them with promises of retuning them after the war Iran, of course, had their fingers crossed being their back while making said promises.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Alaan posted:

Iran-Iraq war ended August 1988. Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990. Iraqi planes were landing in Iran less than three years after the Iran-Iraq war ended. Why Iraq thought they would get them back is just beyond me.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

fuf posted:

Nope apparently only 18-35%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

Article says it's dangerous for pilots, but doesn't say it excludes anyone from being a pilot. I definitely read that once though.

Holy poo poo, I thought I was just a freak of nature.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
IIRC Iran was about the only place the planes had the fuel to reach that wasn't explicitly part of the anti-Iraq Coalition. I had forgotten that even Syria joined the Coalition. Jordan had to stay neutral because of the large Palestinian population, but King Hussein obviously wasn't going to risk his Western ties any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Maybe Shia pilots? Highly unlikely, I must admit.