Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

THE GAYEST APPAREL posted:

Here's a pic of him

It's not really a fedora though.

a kangol is very different from a fedora thank you very much it's like comparing apples to carrots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
What happened to Big Zeke?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

So I was reading through some results a couple years ago, and I totally forgot that the Iceland volcano erupting completely boned an entire episode of Raw, because they were in England that week. Worse, it was the go-home show. What the hell was the plan for the PPV if the majority of the roster couldn't make it back to the US to compete?

They sent the talent overland to airports that were open so if they couldn't get people back for Raw they'd just keep sending them South until they could get them to the US for the PPV.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Was there anything remarkable that happened with the Nitro Girls? (On camera or behind the scenes)

The only thing I can really remember is:

- DDP's wife started them.
- Larry Zybysko drooling over the blonde one.
- HBK married one.
- Kevin Nash said in one of his promos that he was "eating Korean tonight", which was secretly a reference to the Nitro girl he was dating.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Stacy Keibler was one for like a minute, Booker T married one.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

budreck posted:

What happened to Big Zeke?

Meltzer actually mentioned what's up in a daily report recently. The poor guy is having his forth hernia surgery and has been out because of, well, hernia issues.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Smoking Crow posted:

You can't tell me that's not Rick Ross.

Also, does he have a weed leaf on his hand

oops, read wrong nvm

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
When is the last time in WWE they filmed someone walking through the backstage area to the entrance way and to the ring (ie Goldberg)?

That was always one of my favourite little things about wrestling. Made a match seem that much more exciting and important and gave it that sports feel.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the only time that sticks out in my head in recent memory was that Miz promo from when he was US Champion years ago.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

sexy_trash posted:

When is the last time in WWE they filmed someone walking through the backstage area to the entrance way and to the ring (ie Goldberg)?

That was always one of my favourite little things about wrestling. Made a match seem that much more exciting and important and gave it that sports feel.

This one in particular ruled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ-79b70GV4

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That commentary at the end makes me laugh.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Grey posted:

Was there anything remarkable that happened with the Nitro Girls? (On camera or behind the scenes)

The only thing I can really remember is:

- DDP's wife started them.
- Larry Zybysko drooling over the blonde one.
- HBK married one.
- Kevin Nash said in one of his promos that he was "eating Korean tonight", which was secretly a reference to the Nitro girl he was dating.

Vince Russo made them all on-screen characters and there were a couple feuds between them

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Aurain posted:

That commentary at the end makes me laugh.

I think Cole was mesmerized by Morrison's movements (and abs :allears:).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Bigass Moth posted:

If someone like Meltzer, Bryan Alvarez or Bill Apter shows up at a WWE event are the wrestlers supposed to act like they don't know them or is it all ok?

Meltzer & Alvarez were at the WWE Network announcement and interviewed a few guys. Cena said something like "We don't get to talk very often, so do you have any questions?" to Meltzer, which to me sounds like he acknowledges he knows him.

Austin popped huge when he saw Dave, but he's Stone Cold and he can do whatever he wants.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Austin popped huge when he saw Dave, but he's Stone Cold and he can do whatever he wants.

I know this is a wrestling thread, but when your kids open presents on Christmas morning, do they 'pop' when they unwrap that new PS4?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Red posted:

I know this is a wrestling thread, but when your kids open presents on Christmas morning, do they 'pop' when they unwrap that new PS4?

Do you get upset every time someone uses commonly understood slang to get a point across quickly?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Austin was visibly excited (in a positive way) when he saw Dave Meltzer.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Maybe I've missed something recently but why do they never do the "face is forced to tag with rival heel against other heel tag team" thing like they used to? I swear that was used on every show I watched as a kid.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Maybe I've missed something recently but why do they never do the "face is forced to tag with rival heel against other heel tag team" thing like they used to? I swear that was used on every show I watched as a kid.

I remember it as far back as... 2008? 2009? It's sort of migrated into "Make two opponents team together"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

They did it last Wrestlemania with Sheamus/Orton/Show vs. The Shield

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Do you get upset every time someone uses commonly understood slang to get a point across quickly?

I just think it's funny when people use wrestling slang in non-wrestling situations.

"Batista has a lot of heat at the local Gold's Gym for not wiping down machines when he's done."
"John Cena went on David Letterman and put over Fruity Pebbles cereal huge. Cena is said to be campaigning for the cereal to be pushed on TV more often."

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I don't see a problem with people using wrestling terms when describing things that are related to wrestling. Austin is a wrestler. Dave Meltzer is a wrestling journalist. it's fine.

also, referring to your second example there, pushing isn't strictly a wrestling term. marketers push products.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cardboard Box posted:

I don't see a problem with people using wrestling terms when describing things that are related to wrestling. Austin is a wrestler. Dave Meltzer is a wrestling journalist. it's fine.

Me neither - it's just funny to read.

quote:

also, referring to your second example there, pushing isn't strictly a wrestling term. marketers push products.

Yeah, but in comparison to a wrestler, "pushing" cereal on Raw is funnier. Although, I was thinking more of the words 'put over' as the focus of that example.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Why and how Linda McMahon lose her Senate races?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Republican campaigning in a state that's generally voted Democratic in recent years for starters. Conneticut was once solidly Republican on the national level but the last Republican to take the state in a Presidential election was Bush 41 in 1988. Running against a popular AG the first time and the McMahon name/WWE reputation didn't exactly help.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 15, 2014

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thauros posted:

Running against a popular AG the first time and the McMahon name/WWE reputation didn't exactly help.

I like how they left McMahon off lots of stuff so it just said "Vote Linda."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It also led to that giant Vince Face right after it was announced she lost.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was also easy to refute a lot of her bullshit considering she and her family have been on television for the last thirty years. For instance, after Lance Cade ODed, she claimed she had never met him and then footage came out of the two of them on screen together at some point years ago. Then when Chris Nowinski spoke out about how they were "kicking dirt on the guy's grave" Linda remarked that Nowinski and Cade were total strangers who had never met, so Lance never would have confided in him. Even though they were tag partners for a year and worked together for five years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Linda McMahon was a political outsider, she was a Republican going after Senate seats which have been Democratic for a long time, and she was up against experienced politicians. Her involvement with WWE hurt her, but that's a double-edged sword; she would never have gotten far without WWE millions. Her Republican opponents accused her of "buying" the nomination by spending $21 million to their <$3 million apiece.

Her campaign was pretty consistent with the research showing that there's a certainly threshold below which political unknowns can't compete no matter how much they spend, and there's a point of diminishing returns beyond which spending more money doesn't make much difference. Her stances were also fairly insipid Republican bullshit: Low taxes good, government spending bad, deficit bad, low taxes for rich people magically creates jobs, etc.

As far as her involvement in wrestling goes, there were two specific things that hurt her. The first was a 1989 memo to Pat Patterson concerning a steroid scandal, in which she told him to fire on-call doctor George Zahorian and warn him that the feds might be after him. The second was Lance Cade's death; when reporters asked her about it, she replied that she didn't know him, compared him to Heath Ledger, and said that addiction problems were nobody's fault, certainly not the WWE's.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2014

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Let me just say that those two elections were a terrible time to live in Connecticut and be a wrestling fan. (HEY KARMINE UR VOTING 4 LINDA RITE? ugh)

On a related note I sincerely think that Linda lost a lot of voters with just how much advertising she was putting out. I forget the exact numbers (Meltzer once said between the two campaigns she spent about $100 per registered voter in the state), but at the time it was really, REALLY clear that she was willing to spend money to pester voters.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The campaigns were worth every penny because they produced the greatest picture of Vince ever.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
All that campaign spending was worth it for the Stephanie McMahon dream sequence. If you weren't watching at the time, this really needs to be seen to be believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DiN0UNuvc

Still have to remind myself that this was an actual thing that aired on an actual WWE TV broadcast. Oh Vince. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They also could gave destroyed her even more if they showed certain clips - Steph talking about 9/11

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bobkatt013 posted:

They also could gave destroyed her even more if they showed certain clips - Steph talking about 9/11

WWE and their attorneys went on a rampage between 2010 and 2012 demanding that YouTube, DailyMotion and any other video sites take down any clips they specified. They targeted the more brutal matches from the previous fifteen years, all the raunchy stuff like the "live sex celebration" and anything that could be used against her like that very same Stephanie 9/11 speech. Her opponents in the primaries, the elections and the press all noted this when they were trying to find footage to back up some of their stories and assertions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

WWE and their attorneys went on a rampage between 2010 and 2012 demanding that YouTube, DailyMotion and any other video sites take down any clips they specified. They targeted the more brutal matches from the previous fifteen years, all the raunchy stuff like the "live sex celebration" and anything that could be used against her like that very same Stephanie 9/11 speech. Her opponents in the primaries, the elections and the press all noted this when they were trying to find footage to back up some of their stories and assertions.

Yet I can confirm that they left a smackdown up after the London Bombing with the attack on Undertaker and the Mexicools.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet I can confirm that they left a smackdown up after the London Bombing with the attack on Undertaker and the Mexicools.

Well, of course they couldn't get everything, but they sure as poo poo tried pretty drat hard.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Also wasn't the whole "Stand up for the WWE" ads basically just "vote for Linda" ads and kind of illegal in a sense?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Minidust posted:

All that campaign spending was worth it for the Stephanie McMahon dream sequence. If you weren't watching at the time, this really needs to be seen to be believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DiN0UNuvc

Still have to remind myself that this was an actual thing that aired on an actual WWE TV broadcast. Oh Vince. :allears:

Even though it's dumb as hell. I like this.

Also because it has what PSP surely believed was Vince's reaction to Daniel Bryan having success in the post summerslam shows.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

achillesforever6 posted:

Also wasn't the whole "Stand up for the WWE" ads basically just "vote for Linda" ads and kind of illegal in a sense?

Yeah, basically. Well it was less "vote for Linda" and more "don't let those media bullies talk badly about your precious WWE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Linda McMahon was a political outsider, she was a Republican going after Senate seats which have been Democratic for a long time, and she was up against experienced politicians. Her involvement with WWE hurt her, but that's a double-edged sword; she would never have gotten far without WWE millions. Her Republican opponents accused her of "buying" the nomination by spending $21 million to their <$3 million apiece.

Her campaign was pretty consistent with the research showing that there's a certainly threshold below which political unknowns can't compete no matter how much they spend, and there's a point of diminishing returns beyond which spending more money doesn't make much difference. Her stances were also fairly insipid Republican bullshit: Low taxes good, government spending bad, deficit bad, low taxes for rich people magically creates jobs, etc.

As far as her involvement in wrestling goes, there were two specific things that hurt her. The first was a 1989 memo to Pat Patterson concerning a steroid scandal, in which she told him to fire on-call doctor George Zahorian and warn him that the feds might be after him. The second was Lance Cade's death; when reporters asked her about it, she replied that she didn't know him, compared him to Heath Ledger, and said that addiction problems were nobody's fault, certainly not the WWE's.

I wonder if she would've done better in North Carolina?

She sounds like a southerner, was born in NC (both Vince and Linda grew up in my hometown of Havelock!), and has a lot of roots to Carolina. And that state leans a lot more to the right.