Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Ramengank posted:

Quick question about the playthrough, how many trainers are affected by challenge mode? Gym leaders and rival battles are, of course, but are there any others? I only ask this because the level disparity between your pokemon and Burgh's seems pretty shocking, I'm assuming that's without any grinding though right?

This one, right?
http://i.imgur.com/VJVEN72.jpg

Every trainer gets a boost, towards the end they are usually around 4-6 levels higher than normal mode. My guys are that level from fighting every possible trainer I see—you'll generally be a level or two below trainers. The level disparity makes it funner in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think the sudden weakness Red's entire team has to ground is evidence that we need Eevee to come back and be Vaporeon. Problem solved.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

Every trainer gets a boost, towards the end they are usually around 4-6 levels higher than normal mode. My guys are that level from fighting every possible trainer I see—you'll generally be a level or two below trainers. The level disparity makes it funner in my opinion.

I get that, but other than the gym leaders, does it make the game actually harder? I mean, higher level pokemon give more exp, so you should catch up quite quickly.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

I get that, but other than the gym leaders, does it make the game actually harder? I mean, higher level pokemon give more exp, so you should catch up quite quickly.

The AI is also better in general. Case in point, Burgh breaking my Aerial Ace chain for Copycatting. You level up, yes but your opponents are also slowly getting more and more level boosts compared to the normal game. If there's one thing Game Freak has gotten really good at since Platinum it's scaling the levels of trainers.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Chorocojo posted:

If there's one thing Game Freak has gotten really good at since Platinum it's scaling the levels of trainers.
Without grinding, I was 4-17 levels above anything Diantha threw at me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Roger Explosion posted:

And that's why you turn the EXP All off. That basically acts as the difficulty select for XY.

Other than that, in pretty much all the games after RSE or so, you'll be at a good level for the "bosses" as long as you fight every trainer. No grinding necessary, no overleveling.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Roger Explosion posted:

And I was seven levels lower. I also didn't use the "give all of my guys all of the exp" item.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Chorocojo posted:

And I was seven levels lower. I also didn't use the "give all of my guys all of the exp" item.

Haifisch posted:

And that's why you turn the EXP All off. That basically acts as the difficulty select for XY.
Oh holy poo poo, you can turn it off?! Doing that next play-through.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

I was grinding like a motherfucker, so I outclassed her like crazy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think the changes they made to the Exp. Share encourages you to swap your party around, try out new Pokemon and such.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, I like the exp share. Makes it so easy to bring new guys into the team.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Nihilarian posted:

I think the changes they made to the Exp. Share encourages you to swap your party around, try out new Pokemon and such.

This is how I'm playing through Y at the moment, using a rotating cast of about 20 Pokes. It has also been leaving me anywhere between 4-9 levels below most of my opponents, depending on how long before switching, etc. The good thing about this is it also lets me use dudes that I would normally have just ignored or tossed to the side like Dunsparce or Vivillon.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
If you play type matchups, you can even be underleveled and have some consistent success. Of course there are times where that can't work.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Roger Explosion posted:

...what. I was anywhere from 10-15 levels lower. The only reason I survived is due to luck, items, and type match ups. That new type is a doozy to beat.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
Depends on how you play I suppose. If you go by the classic 'Train nothing but starter pokemon' strategy, but leave the EXP share on, your starter will be about 5-10 levels above most of the E4, while the rest of your team will be 10-15 levels below them. So if your starter gets messed up somehow, then you have to send forth cannon fodder while using revives etc. If you switch around your pokemon a decent amount and train them all about even, you'll probably end up about at their level, slightly higher or lower, depending on how you train, if you leave your EXP share on etc. Personally, I like the EXP share changes, since it makes it easier to bring in different pokemon you pick up that would usually just stay boxed. Lets you mess around with your party a bit more, which is a nice touch.

Though, I think this whole discussion is a bit more for the Megathread than this LP honestly. Back to the LP, wondering what sort of pokemon will join Vinny's team, since he's weak to Ground right now, a good water type would do. Perhaps this will be Basculin's time to shine in the LP spotlight? Everyone can use a good murder fish.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

SonicRulez posted:

...what. I was anywhere from 10-15 levels lower. The only reason I survived is due to luck, items, and type match ups. That new type is a doozy to beat.
The game is very good at unloading very good pokes on you before the first 3 gyms. By then, I had all my bases covered so I just rolled with them.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I left my EXP. Share on for the entire game.

I went into the Elite Four with a Lv. 100 and the rest where rocking Lv. 80+, I wasn't even trying to grind. Those games are so bleeding easy it's stupid.

On the other and Black 2 was fairly challenging considering I choose to beat the game with only a Golduck, cause Golduck rules.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't think you get to complain about how easy it is when you willingly leave Easy Mode on. Just saying, if Chorocojo had chosen Easy Mode at the beginning of the game (an option I still don't get, if there's something Pokemon does not need is a goddamn easy mode), we'd be laughing at him if he ever dared complain about how easy it was. Instead, he did the correct choice and went with Challenge Mode, which actually surprised me with Burgh, wow. That's a big roster change.

Personally, I turned EXP Share off immediatly in XY and didn't regret it. The game's level curve is good enough so that you'll end up underlevelled if you train a whole team without it, and that's exactly what I wanted. Made things a lot more fun.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'd make a bit effort post about how X/Y is still ridiculously easy even without EXP Share on but that's not what this thread is for.

Instead I'm going to say that Red's art is great and I can't wait to see what he draws next considering the next area has some of my favorite pokes :allears:

CaptainMcSarcasm
Oct 3, 2013
XP all really should have been a post-game item. In X, I only had it on for the first 3 gyms, before I realized how it was basically making the game "push button to win". I still ended up over leveled by like 10. I'm going through Y now, cut it off as soon as it's given to you, and have been having a far more enjoyable time.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Chorocojo posted:

Same here. The X/Y exp share was pretty much the easy mode for those games. But the challenge mode here is something that GF really needs to do again and allow you to turn it on without some convoluted crap.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shogunate posted:

I'd make a bit effort post about how X/Y is still ridiculously easy even without EXP Share on but that's not what this thread is for.

The story campaign is meant to be easy, it's for kids to play... The only challenge comes from the what you make, such as not using the Exp. Share, or rotating your team with it on, or doing a nuzlocke, or what Red usually does and lets under utilized Pokemon shine. But generally using a spread out team of six Pokemon over the course of the game makes for a fun and rewarding experience.

Then you get to the fun part of player vs player. Kids game my rear end. :getin:

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Going from Black 2 and White 2 to X and Y makes Game Freaks seem like they were trying to appeal to people who thought that Pokémon was too slow? Pokémon-Amie, Super Training (even though it's terrible) and Experience Share been changed to the Gen 1 Experience All except even more potent.

Considering that Eevee is the most genetically diverse Pokémon it has a really terrible move pool for all of its evolutions.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I was pretty much right on target for the E4 in X and Y, and I had the Exp. Share on. Then again, I was using 12 pokes for most of the game.

Rude Semprini
Jun 4, 2013

Ow. Right in the self esteem.
I played through X with the exp.share on, realised when I got to about the fifth gym how overlevelled I was getting and started the whole drat game again. I'm a madman, and I have to be stopped.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Level didn't bother me for the E4 in X and Y as much having got there and none of them actually have a full team of six. That just confuses me.

In other news, I have caught my Dunsparse in Black 2 and have more or less caught up to where the LP is. Since I wasn't going to jump through hoops for Hard Mode, I basically just used EXP Share to funnel half of the experience I was getting on my Pokes into my original starter which... I more or less stopped using. Made Burgh in particular quite dangerous since his Leavanny was... 6-8 levels higher than my highest? Made for some fun strategy.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Kobold posted:

Level didn't bother me for the E4 in X and Y as much having got there and none of them actually have a full team of six. That just confuses me.

In other news, I have caught my Dunsparse in Black 2 and have more or less caught up to where the LP is. Since I wasn't going to jump through hoops for Hard Mode, I basically just used EXP Share to funnel half of the experience I was getting on my Pokes into my original starter which... I more or less stopped using. Made Burgh in particular quite dangerous since his Leavanny was... 6-8 levels higher than my highest? Made for some fun strategy.

They also don't get a full team for the rematch, or higher levels, or change their team.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#12. Hyper-realistic Blood Cloud

IT WAS AMAZING. I'M GOING TO BE A BIG STAR, I TELL YA!

Yeeeeesssssssss.

Choro Notes: By completing that first film and getting a good ending we unlocked like, five more films we can start.

Oh, this one. This one. I've dealt with human-shaped things all my life I should be a natural!

Music: PokéStar Filming

Choro Notes: This is a stand-in prop. Usually it means they'll be substituting it for some CG Monster. Sometimes they have abilities or types you need to be aware of. In this case, the prop is a normal-type with the ability Insomnia.

quote:

Mission
Knock out your foe in 10 scenes.

Script
Scene 1 - Protect yourself from attacks! The line you choose is important!
Scene 2 - Attack your foe!
Scene 3 - Attack your foe!
Scene 4 - Attack your foe!
Scene 5 - Attack your foe!
Scene 6 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 7 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 8 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 9 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 10 - Deliver a decisive blow!

Choro Notes: Your rental monster for this series is a Sigilyph. The moveset it has for the first one are Psybeam, Light Screen and Reflect and it's holding Light Clay. It should be obvious what your course of action is on this one. Use Reflect or Light Screen and then just pound away with Psybeam until it dies.

Choro Notes: The scripts for the first movie in a series are all pretty easy but, for whatever reason, critical hits are still possible which can end a movie prematurely because holy poo poo how are you so bad at acting? Be more lucky, geez.

Choro Notes: The correct answer here is to wait and see

Oh man I can't wait.

- - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fARQoA8wkA

That's a lot! A lot a lot! I'm on my way! My way to big!

Free snacks, this is the best thing!

I agree! Look! Look! I got lemonade!

- - -

Choro Notes: By finishing a movie you'll get the second movie in the series. Which, honestly feels more like it's just more of the same movie.

Good to work with you again Crystie!

quote:

Mission
Knock out all foes in 20 scenes.

Script
Scene 1 - Switch your opponent's Pokémon! The line you choose is important!
Scene 2 - Raise your stats!
Scene 3 - Raise your stats!
Scene 4 - Attack your foe!
Scene 5 - Attack your foe!
Scene 6 - Attack your foe!
Scene 7 - Attack your foe!
Scene 8 - Attack your foe!
Scene 9 - Attack your foe!
Scene 11 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 12 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 13 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 14 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 15 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 16 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 17 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 18 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 19 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 20 - Deliver a decisive blow!

Choro Notes: This time your Sigilyph has the moves Psychic, Calm Mind and Whirlwind. It's holding a White Herb now.
The props, and there are SIX of them now, Jesus, are all Level 20 normal-types with Insomnia EXCEPT for the first one sent out, which is Level 30. They all have a unique move like ThunderPunch, Rock Slide, etc. The fact there are six you are fighting is a pain in the rear end.

Choro Notes: It also does not help that the first one uses a move with a high critical hit rate, gently caress that guy.

Choro Notes: Simple enough, you have to force the big one out, buff up and then sweep the group of them.

That one took forever, Mr. Pokénter. Did we really have to do it all in one take?

- - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWC3wU-AbK0

Ahhh!!! That one did even better! Look at it! Look at that!

Yes!

- - -

SOUNDS GOOD, I'M IN.

quote:

Mission
Knock out SFX Prop C2 in 15 scenes. Knocking out other foes is fine.

Script
Scene 1 - Protect yourself from attacks! The line you choose is important!
Scene 2 - Pay attention to the foe's type!
Scene 3 - Use a move with high power!
Scene 4 - Use a move with high power!
Scene 5 - Use a move with high power!
Scene 6 - Use a move with high power!
Scene 7 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 8 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 9 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 11 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 12 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 13 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 14 - Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 15 - Deliver a decisive blow!

Choro Notes: This time your Sigilyph knows Psychic, Miracle Eye, Shadow Ball and Protect. It's holding a Persim Berry. The opponent has six monsters but you only need to KO Prop C2 for the movie to finish. There's a more-than-good chance that it will be sent out immediately after that first scene. This is because it's a Dark-type (hence the second scene where you need to use Miracle Eye, which allows you to hit Dark-types with Psychic-type moves.) Prop C2 is also 10 levels higher than you and has Pressure so.

I had to do this movie three times because I kept getting hit by multiple critical hits while just Psychic-ing the drat thing over and over. It is the most frustrating thing because you have to sit through all of Rosa's dialogue again every time you get a bad ending. It's kinda bullshit!

- - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BASM6WvutI

Ahhhhhhhhh nooo waaaaaay!!! I'm gonna get sooo much . . .

Lemonade! Yes!

quote:

Horror Movie Star - A Medal commemorating the release of the full series of "Red Fog of Terror" in Pokéstar Studios.
Blockbuster Star - A Medal for popular movie stars who rached box sales of P100 billion.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 14, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I love imagining that the rental Pokemon are all movie regulars that have gossip columns written about them. :kimchi:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Poor Rosa, too excited by her rising stardom to realize the studio is taking all of her royalties.

SirPhoebos posted:

I love imagining that the rental Pokemon are all movie regulars that have gossip columns written about them. :kimchi:

POKESTAR STUDIOS ABUZZ FROM SHOCKER: Female Mandibuzz discovered flying out of Sigilyph's roost. P.3 for this Hot Exclusive.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's like telepathy, but viler. Sure, why not.

Also, you've got redfog052.png twice instead of redfog054.png, there.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Super Jay Mann posted:

POKESTAR STUDIOS ABUZZ FROM SHOCKER: Female Mandibuzz discovered flying out of Sigilyph's roost. P.3 for this Hot Exclusive.

Up next: Lucario-Girl's Lucario in the Day Care? More, when we come back.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Pyroi posted:

Up next: Lucario-Girl's Lucario in the Day Care? More, when we come back.

Tonight at 10: Artificial Happiness? Espeon Doping Scandal!

Have we learned nothing from the Rare Candy debacle?

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
I'm with Vinny on the movie studio thing. I hated it, so much. Maybe it was just because it was a forced section for something that I felt was just completely unnecessary, it felt like awful, dumb, mini-game padding to me. That made me hate it probably far more than it deserves, and I never touched it after the first time I was forced through it. I think it might have just been better overall if it was wholly optional instead of a forced section. Of course that's just how I feel about it, I know some people that loved it plenty, just not my cup of tea I guess.

Also doesn't help that the first time you're forced through it you get stuck with a Riolu, and I have a severe and unreasonable dislike for Lucario as a whole, so that might have been part of it as well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Huh, having never played this game or seen the movie thing, I like Rosa's outfit for the horror movie. Almost makes the cinnamon bun hair in her character design look normal and not ridiculous.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Huh, having never played this game or seen the movie thing, I like Rosa's outfit for the horror movie. Almost makes the cinnamon bun hair in her character design look normal and not ridiculous.

I was wondering if there was a way to make that her normal outfit, because it looks really good. I'm also surprised that she's wearing something so...innocent looking, for lack of a better term, in what's meant to be a horror flick.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Valgaav posted:

I was wondering if there was a way to make that her normal outfit, because it looks really good. I'm also surprised that she's wearing something so...innocent looking, for lack of a better term, in what's meant to be a horror flick.

It's a Pokemon game, dude.

Bamboomancer
Oct 9, 2007
A druid of an "Asian" persuasion
The movie studio was a weird thing for me. I liked the concept. Like, a lot. Puzzles in Pokemon? It's kinda cool!

But... crits. You shouldn't have puzzles if you can't be deterministic. Some of the later ones get kinda cool, but even then it's like "Well, I have to do this 20 turn thing but if he leech seeds me and it hits then I can't win!"

So, interesting concept, poor execution, good source of lemonades.

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Bamboomancer posted:

The movie studio was a weird thing for me. I liked the concept. Like, a lot. Puzzles in Pokemon? It's kinda cool!

But... crits. You shouldn't have puzzles if you can't be deterministic. Some of the later ones get kinda cool, but even then it's like "Well, I have to do this 20 turn thing but if he leech seeds me and it hits then I can't win!"

So, interesting concept, poor execution, good source of lemonades.

Yeah, the crits were the huge issue. I love puzzles, but when it's based more on luck than logic, it kind of ruins the point. I still definitely enjoyed them, but having to constantly go through the dialogue because something out of your control messes up was terrible. And it worked both ways--sometimes you had to get a crit (although, not as often as you had to make sure you didn't or they didn't) to "pass". The strange endings were even more frustrating at parts.

If they removed the luck concept of it though, I'd love to see something like that return again. It doesn't have to be movies, but I found the concept enjoyable and fresh.

Valgaav - I wish. The protagonists get some really nice outfits in the story. I definitely have a few favorites I'd have loved if I could actually "take home" and wear. Heck, that would've been a great feature of the room you get as a "prize" for finishing... Instead of it just being, well, a room that you look at. I'd like to think if that feature made it in the new games, you actually could unlock the outfits to change into... Now I'm really sad it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Well huh, I must have been incredibly lucky, because I didn't really have much of a problem with crits until the last couple movies were unlocked, and even then they weren't incredibly tedious.

All those prizes though, goddamn, I probably had a million Pokedollars' worth in lemonade alone by the time I was done with the last few movies.

• Locked thread