Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Posting King Rams posted:

I started playing this again but the servers inexplicably lag outside of battles for just about everything. Upgrading skills, using the AH, and even dialogue has massive delays. I'm on East server. Is this a common problem, and is there any chance of it going away? It's otherwise killing any interest I have in leveling a Hurk.

I just noticed this today, haven't played in a couple weeks but I don't remember it being a problem. It is probably because of the event going on and will go back to normal afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

This is basically what happens to the servers any time there is an event that gives people a reason to log on (like leveling new characters) because the servers run on potatoes and hamsters and can't handle the extra load.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory
If you watch you'll notice the slowdowns happen every hour on the hour. The only thing that goes on that cycle is transform refreshes, so I'm not sure really what does it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I'm just guessing but I think market values on items are updated then too. More people online = more market items. Nexon has some seriously garbage servers if they can't run with the small amount of people in the game, even during events.

I've said it before, but the gameplay is super fun; everything else surrounding it is complete dogshit, it's a real shame

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

quote:

UPDATE #2: Hello Vindictus players, the 10 Free Goddess Grace's will be distributed on Friday (1/10/2014) @6:00pm Pacific Standard Time. Please make sure you sign on with your favorite character, to receive your special FREE gift.
I remember when the game mailed rewards to you. It was nice.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Posting to get my character, bicycle2 into diabetic dogs guild.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Senor P. posted:

Posting to get my character, bicycle2 into diabetic dogs guild.
Sorry for being a big jerk about you needing to post. It's because we keep getting mystery applications from people who apparently aren't goons or friends of goons. I guess they want to join the guild with the best name? :shrug:

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
So I played this game when it first came out in the US and while it was super fun, the lags were loving terrible.

Is it any better now? More fun??

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

washow posted:

So I played this game when it first came out in the US and while it was super fun, the lags were loving terrible.

Is it any better now? More fun??

Still super fun, still terrible lags sometimes always whenever the gently caress.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I used to play this a long time ago before Kai/Vella/HURK were in the game. Has the game changed from level 1-55 at all or did they just stack more stuff on top of existing content? I'm considering coming back but I think I'd rather play Hurk than my level 64 Lann, mostly because I'm broke and have no weapon after trying to +11 my Raiders. If I do come back though it'd be with a couple of friends and they had trouble stomaching the grind the first time around. Is it easier to level?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Do The Evolution posted:

I used to play this a long time ago before Kai/Vella/HURK were in the game. Has the game changed from level 1-55 at all or did they just stack more stuff on top of existing content? I'm considering coming back but I think I'd rather play Hurk than my level 64 Lann, mostly because I'm broke and have no weapon after trying to +11 my Raiders. If I do come back though it'd be with a couple of friends and they had trouble stomaching the grind the first time around. Is it easier to level?

The new content is playable as you work through, which is actually welcome because good fuckigng god. gently caress Hidden. gently caress that raid. gently caress Hoarfrost Depths.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The new content is playable as you work through, which is actually welcome because good fuckigng god. gently caress Hidden. gently caress that raid. gently caress Hoarfrost Depths.

Oh god, really? Are you suggesting I don't have to solo Hidden over and over to reach endgame? Is it possible they've actually improved the leveling experience in a Korean MMO?

e: I guess technically you don't have to solo Hidden over and over but if you wanted to be timely about it..

e2:

quote:

Season 2 takes place in a parallel universe where you quit merc work after a week and moved to the pirate town of Malina to become a treasure hunter.

what. awesome.

Do The Evolution fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 13, 2014

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Do The Evolution posted:

Oh god, really? Are you suggesting I don't have to solo Hidden over and over to reach endgame? Is it possible they've actually improved the leveling experience in a Korean MMO?

e: I guess technically you don't have to solo Hidden over and over but if you wanted to be timely about it..

Yeah, the grind isn't necessarily better, but instead of being stuck in the old horrifying level ranges you can boat over to the Season 2 missions which give some pretty substantial exp in a boss-in-every-area format that is significantly less obnoxious in addition to story quests where the special battle quest gives some extra exp on top of the normal battle quest exp.

I still find the grind kind of painful, it is just as much playing, just without one tiny part of the tedium. You still get to run through the same rooms with the same dumb enemies on the same texture-remapped levels for most of the game.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I still find the grind kind of painful, it is just as much playing, just without one tiny part of the tedium. You still get to run through the same rooms with the same dumb enemies on the same texture-remapped levels for most of the game.

Honestly I'll take pretty much anything that isn't the same poo poo I've already done, even if it's guaranteed to be the same poo poo by the time I'm done with it. If I have to progress through Ainle and Hoarfrost and Werewolf Ruins one more time...

Is Hurk, well, good? Does he do good damage and not suck in raids? I don't want to play a class that gets denied boats just for existing :downs:

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Anything but Lann should be fine.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Just picked this up. Is there a way to make Kai play more like a 3rd person shooter? I'm looking for like a targeting reticule option.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

wisdomHNOX posted:

Just picked this up. Is there a way to make Kai play more like a 3rd person shooter? I'm looking for like a targeting reticule option.
Level up enough to use a crossgun.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I applied for the West server diabetic dogs guild. Is the community just aged so much that no one is playing at the lower levels anymore? I can never find a party to join.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
:eyepop: Holy poo poo this returning player gear. Why yes, I would like to equip level 58 items at level 1. Thank you. This is going to make leveling Hurk pretty loving awesome :gibs:
I'll be playing on West, I'll apply for diabetic dogs if I stick around but given I'm playing with a pubbie friend I'll just stay out of it for now.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Did they change how staff Evie plays? Been a few years but I could have sworn she had a melee attack.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Staff Evie was changed quite a while back to be a fully fledged ranged character, shooting magic arrows as her basic attack(l click) and smash attacks(r click) being charge up spell casts.
She was changed again (at least on KR and EU version) to have spell combos which can be pre casted and charged up to be instant cast.

RobertDanger
Dec 4, 2003
Here comes danger!

Applied to join fartlords as a hurk named hyurkhyurk.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Why does this thread hate Lann so much? Does he just not have the toolkit the others do?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
He doesn't bring anything special to the table, but mostly in my experience Lann players tend to die quickly and contribute little. Spin2win?? :shrug:

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

wisdomHNOX posted:

Why does this thread hate Lann so much? Does he just not have the toolkit the others do?

The real problem with Lann is that he has both an extremely high skill ceiling and a very high skill floor. Lann's dodge is his only form of mitigation and if you gently caress it up you basically die instantly. It is not forgiving in the slightest. There are videos of people like Raidhunter who, true to his name, solos raids with both sword and spear Lann in displays of incredible skill and amazing understanding of hitboxes. Unfortunately for the rest of the populace, they aren't Raidhunter. This leads to an excess of Lanns who just can't hack it - the average player is simply not good enough to play Lann in raids. I'm not even partaking in the typical goon pastime of looking down my nose at terrible pubbies, it's just straight up really bad class design and it's not really the fault of the Lann players that they can't keep up with equally skilled players of other classes. This creates situations like the post above mine, where every Lann you see (except for the ones toting full +15 gear and spears, whip out that credit card now) will 99% of the time either eat poo poo multiple times in a raid or contribute next to nothing in damage due to cautiousness.

Basically Lann is broken and the devs know but don't want to change him because (???). You know that they know because the classes that came later have much improved dodge mechanics and as such you don't really hear anything about them from pubbies or Koreans and on top of that he continually receives meagre buffs. I don't know how they would even fix him unless they wanted to completely change the way his dodge worked, but apparently they don't want to do that. Also, it's definitely not just this thread that hates him. Even among pubbies and on the official forums it's a widely acknowledged fact that Lann isn't up to par.

e: Goddamn I've been playing Hurk for the past half hour or so and the way his mitigation works makes me so happy. I wish Lann was half this synergistic and entertaining.

Do The Evolution fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 16, 2014

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Do The Evolution posted:

The real problem with Lann is that he has both an extremely high skill ceiling and a very high skill floor. Lann's dodge is his only form of mitigation and if you gently caress it up you basically die instantly. It is not forgiving in the slightest. There are videos of people like Raidhunter who, true to his name, solos raids with both sword and spear Lann in displays of incredible skill and amazing understanding of hitboxes. Unfortunately for the rest of the populace, they aren't Raidhunter. This leads to an excess of Lanns who just can't hack it - the average player is simply not good enough to play Lann in raids. I'm not even partaking in the typical goon pastime of looking down my nose at terrible pubbies, it's just straight up really bad class design and it's not really the fault of the Lann players that they can't keep up with equally skilled players of other classes. This creates situations like the post above mine, where every Lann you see (except for the ones toting full +15 gear and spears, whip out that credit card now) will 99% of the time either eat poo poo multiple times in a raid or contribute next to nothing in damage due to cautiousness.

Basically Lann is broken and the devs know but don't want to change him because (???). You know that they know because the classes that came later have much improved dodge mechanics and as such you don't really hear anything about them from pubbies or Koreans and on top of that he continually receives meagre buffs. I don't know how they would even fix him unless they wanted to completely change the way his dodge worked, but apparently they don't want to do that. Also, it's definitely not just this thread that hates him. Even among pubbies and on the official forums it's a widely acknowledged fact that Lann isn't up to par.

e: Goddamn I've been playing Hurk for the past half hour or so and the way his mitigation works makes me so happy. I wish Lann was half this synergistic and entertaining.

Don't forget the rich Lanns with 12k defense that just facetank every boss because defense is weird in this game.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory
I see Lanns facetank things, and I always assumed that their ability to do 3 dodge-steps in a row with invulnerability frames was actually really good.

Regardless, the reason I consider Lanns to be scrubs is because they don't help their teammates in any way as far as I can see. Evies use grav and res and heal or insane reaper, Fionas tank and taunt and knock down, Karoks tank and taunt and clash, Kais chain things down and breakoff and kite, Vellas have a disable 'ult' and buff or break . . . Lanns just block my vision and use up my feathers and coronas.

I just don't know what else he brings to the party.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Literally Esoteric posted:

I see Lanns facetank things, and I always assumed that their ability to do 3 dodge-steps in a row with invulnerability frames was actually really good.

Regardless, the reason I consider Lanns to be scrubs is because they don't help their teammates in any way as far as I can see. Evies use grav and res and heal or insane reaper, Fionas tank and taunt and knock down, Karoks tank and taunt and clash, Kais chain things down and breakoff and kite, Vellas have a disable 'ult' and buff or break . . . Lanns just block my vision and use up my feathers and coronas.

I just don't know what else he brings to the party.

The only really unique thing you could say Lann has is the highest potential dps on things that don't fight back, which is basically kraken head and bark so yeah.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I think part of it stems from when there were only three classes. Lann was the only male and was the "dps" class. Fiona took skill to block, and Evie had a different play style. If you wanted to just run in and kill stuff or be a dude, Lann was it. Unfortunately, they usually fell apart when they hit a boss.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Bakalakadaka posted:

Don't forget the rich Lanns with 12k defense that just facetank every boss because defense is weird in this game.

That's actually another thing that I really hate about Lann. Once you get past a certain gear level (usually only obtainable by spending a lot of cash dollars) you can simply spin to win like you did at level 40, only now you're doing it against endgame content while also topping damage meters and taking next to no damage in return. It's very silly. Before I quit in 2012 some spear Lann was doing it against the dog in the desert, I forget its name. He did something like 40% of the raid's damage and was just spinning on it the entire time.

Literally Esoteric posted:

It has the potential to be really good. If you could hit 100% of your dodges perfectly (you can't) all the time, Lann would actually be really good because you'd almost never have to get off the enemy you were attacking and you can circumvent all the damage you'd take. When poo poo is going right and you're dodging everything and your double crescents are critting every time playing Lann makes you feel like you're a damage-dealing god. Unfortunately we're only human so at some point you're going to gently caress it up and eat a faceful of titan spear or glas grab or whatever the new raids do. Also, the invul frames don't last for the whole dash and there is a window in between the double-dash where you're not invulnerable. If it was actually a 'get out of jail free' card whenever you double tapped dodge it'd probably be too good, or maybe that's my Stockholm syndrome talking and it would put him on par with the other characters.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think part of it is even with the QoL buffs that the older characters have gotten they still lag behind the newer ones.

I say this as a hammer Fiona player though, so take that with a grain of salt. (Seriously, most of Fiona's SP skills are mediocre. Focal Point, really?)

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

I think part of it is even with the QoL buffs that the older characters have gotten they still lag behind the newer ones.

I say this as a hammer Fiona player though, so take that with a grain of salt. (Seriously, most of Fiona's SP skills are mediocre. Focal Point, really?)
Lann and Fiona (and Evie to a lesser extent) were designed in the early days when dev sadism hadn't fully manifested itself in the form of bullshit raids. So, they can't easily handle a lot of the bosses (including the ones specifically designed to gently caress with the old characters, gently caress you Titan). Meanwhile, newer characters are designed with new raids in mind and can actually cope with rear end in a top hat bosses.

EDIT: Oh shiiiit

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 17, 2014

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Does it usually take a while for reactivation emails to go out? It won't let me log into the game until I get a reactivation code since I haven't logged in for months, and here I am just twiddling my thumbs

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
For anyone who wants to play through poo poo, I am bored and have literally nothing better to do.

I am on my main, East: Jesselyin but can switch to my other characters if need be. (You can grab me on steam, too @ "andichu" )

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I've had to take a week off playing because I discovered I already had 5 characters on my account, 3 of which are Lanns. I actually looked into buying another character slot instead of waiting a week to play Hurk but it's 10 loving dollars. You think I'm going to pay 10 dollars for a character slot Nexon?!

Then again I've been reading the official forums and some of the people there spend thousands, so.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Do The Evolution posted:

I've had to take a week off playing because I discovered I already had 5 characters on my account, 3 of which are Lanns. I actually looked into buying another character slot instead of waiting a week to play Hurk but it's 10 loving dollars. You think I'm going to pay 10 dollars for a character slot Nexon?!

Then again I've been reading the official forums and some of the people there spend thousands, so.
Why do you have three Lanns? Why not pilfer and delete two of the Lanns?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

ArchWizard posted:

On a only slightly related note, is it worth making second characters on a second account so you can have them leech of your main character or does having them on the same account outweigh that?

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

ArchWizard posted:

Lann 1 is my original character, level 69. He's a Paladin.
Lann 2 is my "revised" Lann, who's a Dark Knight instead because it bothered me that I couldn't ever change the first one to a DK . Level 49.
I don't remember what Lann 3 was really for but he's level 42 and has twin spears so I guess it must have been to accompany some leveling friends with something that wasn't sword Lann.
I'm deleting the third one and my Karok. It was pretty funny to come back to the game and find that all my alts had 16k AP though :haw:

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

On a only slightly related note, is it worth making second characters on a second account so you can have them leech of your main character or does having them on the same account outweigh that?

In my case a second account isn't viable because my account has reached the age where whenever I make a new character, I get veteran gear in the mailbox to help me level. New accounts don't get that, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong). If you're new anyway, I don't think there's much of a difference? Can't think of anything at the moment aside from how annoying it is to click your crimson blade security pass in every time you want to switch accounts.

Do The Evolution fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 19, 2014

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Do The Evolution posted:

In my case a second account isn't viable because my account has reached the age where whenever I make a new character, I get veteran gear in the mailbox to help me level. New accounts don't get that, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong). If you're new anyway, I don't think there's much of a difference? Can't think of anything at the moment aside from how annoying it is to click your crimson blade security pass in every time you want to switch accounts.

I made my account when the game still had tokens to go on boats. I don't know that I get anything special when I make a new character though. I haven't tried recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Do The Evolution posted:

Lann 1 is my original character, level 69. He's a Paladin.
Lann 2 is my "revised" Lann, who's a Dark Knight instead because it bothered me that I couldn't ever change the first one to a DK . Level 42.
I don't remember what Lann 3 was really for but he's level 30 and has twin spears so I guess it must have been to accompany some leveling friends with something that wasn't sword Lann.
I'm deleting the third one and my Karok. It was pretty funny to come back to the game and find that all my alts had 16k AP though :haw:

People with more than one account can multibox and bring their other characters into battles and raids to AFK level them. Also, those "one reward per account" events are better if you have six accounts with one character per account.

The only reason I have one account is because I believe it's weird to have characters that you don't want to actually play. Then again, I didn't complain when people let me AFK in raids to level my Evie. Because playing Evie is bullshit.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 19, 2014

• Locked thread