Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They're superficially cute. People like superficially cute things.

I loving hate the minions and I did not like the first movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The minions were my least favorite part of the series so now of course they're getting their own film.

People rag on Dreamworks but I think Illumination is a better example of that kind of annoying marketing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel bad for all the parents who took their kids to see Despicable Me 2 and probably had to deal with them going BEE DO BEE DO. Got enough of that in the commercials, thank you very much.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel bad for all the parents who took their kids to see Despicable Me 2 and probably had to deal with them going BEE DO BEE DO. Got enough of that in the commercials, thank you very much.

They didn't have to take their kids...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Mr. Peabody & Sherman might actually be good.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/new-clip-from-dreamworks-mr-peabody-sherman-94738.html

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Waffleman_ posted:

I work at an elementary school; the kids will do this as often as possible/as loud as possible/as long as possible. I didn't hate the minions until I started working there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I work at an elementary school; the kids will do this as often as possible/as loud as possible/as long as possible. I didn't hate the minions until I started working there.

This is the reason I hate "MOVE IT, MOVE IT."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Can someone explain to me why the minions became so popular after the first Despicable me?

The reason the Minions are popular is because little kids like them and find them funny. That's really about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

axleblaze posted:

The reason the Minions are popular is because little kids like them and find them funny. That's really about it.

They translate really well internationally as well since they speak in near-enough to gibberish.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I really don't know what to make of Mr Peabody & Sherman. Some parts of it look genuinely promising, but others look embarassingly bad. It's like there are two different teams working on the film and they're constantly trying to sabotage each other's efforts.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

axleblaze posted:

:ssh: When I saw Despicable Me 2 the adults in the theater laughed at the minion bits too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I feel like I am the only one geuinly looking forward to Mr. Peabody and Sherman. I love pretty much all the Jay Ward cartoons, and this looks like a much better take than the Brenden Fraiser movies. Also, the bit in the trailer about DiVinci trying to build a mechanical child had me in stitches.

I've heard some people complain about the punny jokes in the trailer but, uh, did they even watch the cartoon? Puns are like half of the writing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

:ssh: When I saw Despicable Me 2 the adults in the theater laughed at the minion bits too.

It's not like they're not funny. (unless you ask Magikarpal Tunnel and Rita Repulsa) It's just that to me they weren't special enough to warrant such attention. I've also never seen nor heard kids or certain kidlike adults in my vincinity refer to them. Unlike Scrat from Ice age for example. At least for Scrat I can understand why even if I don't Always find him amusing.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I feel like I am the only one geuinly looking forward to Mr. Peabody and Sherman. I love pretty much all the Jay Ward cartoons, and this looks like a much better take than the Brenden Fraiser movies. Also, the bit in the trailer about DiVinci trying to build a mechanical child had me in stitches.

I've heard some people complain about the punny jokes in the trailer but, uh, did they even watch the cartoon? Puns are like half of the writing.
If it makes you feel better I have no opinion on this movie.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Those of you who say you're not getting the Minions seem to be missing the point. They're not aimed at us. They're a very specific and focused appeal to the sensibilities of five-year-olds, and it seems to have worked a treat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think it looks fun! It doesn't look like it's going to be HTTYD or Kung-Fu Panda good but doesn't look bad

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oscar noms are out, Best Animated Feature goes to:

-The Croods
-Despicable Me 2
-Ernest & Celestine
-Frozen
-The Wind Rises

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Other than switching out MU and DM2, I think it's the proper list.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Frozen's "Let it Go" and DM2's "Happy" are also up for Best Original Song. And for Best Animated Short, we have:

Feral
Get A Horse!
Mr. Hublot
Possessions
Room On The Broom

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I just caught up on The Croods the other night, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Between The Wind Rises and Frozen, I'd say The Croods chances at a win are slim to none, but I'm pleased to see it land a nomination regardless.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jay Dub posted:

I just caught up on The Croods the other night, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Between The Wind Rises and Frozen, I'd say The Croods chances at a win are slim to none, but I'm pleased to see it land a nomination regardless.

Right, I think it deserves a nomination, definitely not a win. But I really like the style of it all and admired its tough message.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I liked Frozen a lot, Croods was surprisingly better than I'd've imagined (I enjoyed it in pretty much every aspect), but I think Ernest & Celestine would be my favorite of the three.

EC, Frozen, <space>, <space>, Croods, the other nominations.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Mr. Peabody and Sherman looks pretty interesting to me, but my only exposure to the source material was a gag in an episode of the Simpsons, so v:shobon:v

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Pick posted:

Right, I think it deserves a nomination, definitely not a win. But I really like the style of it all and admired its tough message.

In a purely technical sense, I think The Croods definitely stands toe to to with the rest of them. Some of the animation is gorgeous, particularly the scenes of the family on the move, where it seems like everyone is running 50 miles per hour. The film has an incredible sense of motion to it, which feeds into its theme of forward momentum vs stagnation.

It's just that the others offer so much more, you know? Frozen is an impeccably produced Broadway-style musical, while The Wind Rises is a quiet, at times layered meditation on the nature of art and the act of invention. The Croods is just...well...The Croods.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Pick posted:

What was its tough message?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DNS posted:

What was its tough message?

It's sort of your place in life to set up the future generations and help them become and do things you won't be able to understand.

Jay Dub posted:

In a purely technical sense, I think The Croods definitely stands toe to to with the rest of them. Some of the animation is gorgeous, particularly the scenes of the family on the move, where it seems like everyone is running 50 miles per hour. The film has an incredible sense of motion to it, which feeds into its theme of forward momentum vs stagnation.

Oh, from a solely technical point of view it might be my favorite of the year--similar to how, from a purely technical point of view, Hotel Transylvania is one of my favorite computer-animated films of all time. But that's not enough for a win this year. 2006, sure.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
The Academy is behind the times. Monsters University was a great film, among Pixar's best, and I'm pretty sure it's being punished for the failures of Cars 2 and Brave. (I also consider this to be the reason for the critical attacks on it.) I mean, how many "kid's movies" spread the message, in the end, that maybe you can't accomplish your dream?

Frozen still deserves the win, though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Urdnot Fire posted:

Feral
Get A Horse!
Mr. Hublot
Possessions
Room On The Broom

I mentioned this in gen chat but Feral is so loving good and I'm glad it got nominated. Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aIKK-8Uuy4
This was somehow made in flash.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The Academy is behind the times. Monsters University was a great film, among Pixar's best, and I'm pretty sure it's being punished for the failures of Cars 2 and Brave. (I also consider this to be the reason for the critical attacks on it.) I mean, how many "kid's movies" spread the message, in the end, that maybe you can't accomplish your dream?

Frozen still deserves the win, though.

Except that Sully and Mike do accomplish their dreams, and we went into the movie knowing that they do? (Well, Sully does, anyway. Mike kinda does.) They just fail in their initial plan, and are then shown in the credits bootstrapping in and making their way up from the mail room after flunking out of college, which I thought was insanely stupid.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Oh, from a solely technical point of view it might be my favorite of the year--similar to how, from a purely technical point of view, Hotel Transylvania is one of my favorite computer-animated films of all time. But that's not enough for a win this year. 2006, sure.

I also like how they made the Croods appropriately caveman-ish and ugly without actually being unappealing. I like Chris Sanders as much as the next animation buff but his original human designs for the movie were way too voluptuous and traditionally good-looking.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I didn't like Monsters U at all and having a surprising message at the end doesn't make up for the 70 minutes that come before it being a bunch of action setpieces and stock characters strung together by a generic college plot...only with monsters.

Besides, Frozen being a princess movie whose message was that princess movies have pretty toxic views on relationships was an even bigger surprise and arguably even more necessary for kids so I'm with you on it totally deserving to win.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Vargo posted:

Except that Sully and Mike do accomplish their dreams, and we went into the movie knowing that they do? (Well, Sully does, anyway. Mike kinda does.) They just fail in their initial plan, and are then shown in the credits bootstrapping in and making their way up from the mail room after flunking out of college, which I thought was insanely stupid.

Maybe, but it absolutely resonated with me that you can work your way to places you wanted to get by taking paths you never planned for. And Mike managed to get a career that he loved and was good at that put him near where he was originally aiming, but he didn't plan to go in as Sully's buddy/trainer/supervisor guy — he wanted to be Sully, a scarer. It's showing that you can fail at something no matter what you want, but it doesn't mean it's over, you're done, get out, give up — you can still find something that works for you. It even doubles up nicely with the original movie in that Mike turns out to be WAY better at making kids laugh than scaring them; it just wasn't a career that existed when he went to college.

I also LOVE broadcasting the message that you can't magic your way to being the best at something just because you wish really hard. Wanting it bad enough isn't actually enough to get something, and sometimes what you want just isn't going to happen no matter how hard you work (but when properly applied, hard work can get you to great places). Hell, I love the fact that Sully cheating got him booted out of school and there was no "WOW you guys really are amazing scarers! Back in the program!" at the very end. Essentially, you can really, really screw up, and there will be consequences, BUT you can also go on to get where you want to be; there are real consequences for lovely behavior, but your life isn't over, either.

I'm finally seeing Frozen today so yay, then I can slog through the hundreds of pages in the thread, haha! I'm looking forward to it though. And yeah, I think MU is getting snubbed for Pixar movies that should maybe have been passed over in previous years. I do feel bad for Dan Scanlon :(

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

One has to remember Oscars is as much internal politics as quality - piss off the wrong people, and even if you made the next Casablanca or Citizen Kane, you're not gonna get nominated.

Just saying that's why sometimes nomination lists make no sense some years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Robindaybird posted:

One has to remember Oscars is as much internal politics as quality - piss off the wrong people, and even if you made the next Casablanca or Citizen Kane, you're not gonna get nominated.

Just saying that's why sometimes nomination lists make no sense some years.

I dont think Pixar is really in that position though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Consider that Disney won the first eight Oscars for Best Animated Short from 1932-1939. Just in 1938, four of the five nominees were from Disney.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Despicable Me 2 made a poo poo ton of money (way more than MU I believe) and wasn't hated by critics and that's usually enough to get a nomination. If Disney didn't have a stronger film, MU would have gotten nominated but it they have Frozen so they won't feel snubbed and Croods is there so Dreamworks won't feel snubbed. Really it all makes sense as to why stuff was nominated.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Drifter posted:

I liked Frozen a lot, Croods was surprisingly better than I'd've imagined (I enjoyed it in pretty much every aspect), but I think Ernest & Celestine would be my favorite of the three.

Has there been an upsurge in the amount of traditional stuff coming out of France in the last decade?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Drifter posted:

I feel the same way, though I think Ernest & Celestine's chances are slim to none. It'll be either The Wind Rises or Frozen.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

They just fail in their initial plan, and are then shown in the credits bootstrapping in and making their way up from the mail room after flunking out of college, which I thought was insanely stupid.

In between this and The Incredibles I'm starting to think that Pixar is actually pretty neck deep in conservative messaging. Sure, the messages might be good ones, but when they're relying on premises that are absolutely, provably non-existent in the real world that's still shaping a lot of bad beliefs. It's been decades since someone could work their way up from the mailroom, if anyone ever did. These days you can't get even get an unpaid internship unless you have a college degree.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Some Guy TT posted:

In between this and The Incredibles I'm starting to think that Pixar is actually pretty neck deep in conservative messaging. Sure, the messages might be good ones, but when they're relying on premises that are absolutely, provably non-existent in the real world that's still shaping a lot of bad beliefs. It's been decades since someone could work their way up from the mailroom, if anyone ever did. These days you can't get even get an unpaid internship unless you have a college degree.

Uh, are you going the whole 'libertarian tract' interpretation of the Incredibles?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

Also having Dean Hardscrabble be pointlessly petty and cruel to the point where she would ruin the lives of two students for offending her was like something out of those "and then the professor made them bow down before Karl Marx and revoke Jesus and expelled the student for disproving evolution" e-mail forwards your grandma sends you. It was really uncharacteristically shallow characterization from Pixar, almost as if they needed to manufacture some conflict in the name of re-using their existing IP in a genre pastiche for marketing purposes instead of letting a story rise organically from something new and exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
To be fair to... a fictional dragon centipede, her kicking Sully and Mike off the scaring program seems like it'd have happened even if they hadn't destroyed her scaring record container. Like she said, Mike wasn't scary himself and there was no getting around it so he was going to fail. And Sully was going to fail because he didn't think he had to do anything other than roar. And by the end of the movie, because of those same two students, she was willing to start looking for "surprises" in the scaring program instead of just going by who is like... normal scary.

• Locked thread