Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Come on. It's a morphing sequence. And a pretty good and subtle one.
Kudos to Bill Day on this one, even though at this point comparing anything to Nixon is a tired analogy, akin to digging up a dead horse and beating the ashes.
Haha, welp, I'm an idiot. Good one Bill Day. My lowered expectations got the better of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Wait what? If the unemployment rate falls then how is that proof that government policy isn't helping the economy just because it's still high? Also, how does 6.7% total unemployment translate to 20% male unemployment? Are more than 100% of women employed?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Wait what? If the unemployment rate falls then how is that proof that government policy isn't helping the economy just because it's still high? Also, how does 6.7% total unemployment translate to 20% male unemployment? Are more than 100% of women employed?

The unemployment rate is falling more than added jobs would cause. The reason for this is that the unemployment rate only counts people who are looking for work as "unemployed" and there are a lot of people who have given up looking.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBulb posted:

Boy Scouts have a thing called Order of the Arrow which is pretty god drat embarrassing.

Oh thank gently caress I'm not the only one who thought that. It always weirded me out.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

All hail President Stratos!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Unemployment is counted as people who are out of work and have actively applied for a job in the last 4 weeks. This doesn't count people who have given up searching but still need a job. There's a lot of argument about which numbers mean what, but those numbers Rose provides pass the smell test at least.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

loquacius posted:

What was the story behind the adoption court case thing that came up a couple times in the Marty Two Bulls cartoons?

This is where I heard about it from. Don't know how accurate it is.
http://www.radiolab.org/story/295210-adoptive-couple-v-baby-girl/

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

This still makes no goddamn sense and why does he bring attention to that fact?

The author is a tormented prisoner of his own mind. A Silent Hill cartoon.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
For anyone who followed this story and is familiar in a broader sense with what a hack Rick Reilly has become, this cartoon is amazing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am technically a member of the Order of the Arrow? That just means I get bothered once in a blue moon to cough up money, but at any rate I went through the process to join. This was not my idea, as even as a fairly conservative kid I saw the Order as incredibly creepy and heavily resisted pressure to go in whenever I was invited to do the initiation. I eventually caved to my dad, because he was adamant that it'd look good on a college application.

It's every bit as lovely as you'd expect. Dudes wearing native headpieces telling you what to do for a day, and you couldn't eat or talk all day and had to sleep outside. This was all supposed to be a secret, but everyone knew about it and few people really wanted to waste a weekend not eating and sleeping without a tent. The creepiest thing though was all the weaving of native folklore and poo poo. At night I had sit though an hour or two of that poo poo around a campfire. I cannot tell you how uncomfortable it is to see a fat white guy talk about native mythology while wearing a stereotypical feathered headdress.

Basically there's no end to how weird the Scouting program is (Boys anyways, I hear Girl Scouts are pretty awesome), which has a lot to with the organization being hijacked by a lot of churches.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

XyloJW posted:

Unemployment is counted as people who are out of work and have actively applied for a job in the last 4 weeks. This doesn't count people who have given up searching but still need a job. There's a lot of argument about which numbers mean what, but those numbers Rose provides pass the smell test at least.

1 in 3 people in the country out of work?

Edit: Wait, that was McCoy the Lesser. NM.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rorus Raz posted:

I am technically a member of the Order of the Arrow? That just means I get bothered once in a blue moon to cough up money, but at any rate I went through the process to join. This was not my idea, as even as a fairly conservative kid I saw the Order as incredibly creepy and heavily resisted pressure to go in whenever I was invited to do the initiation. I eventually caved to my dad, because he was adamant that it'd look good on a college application.

It's every bit as lovely as you'd expect. Dudes wearing native headpieces telling you what to do for a day, and you couldn't eat or talk all day and had to sleep outside. This was all supposed to be a secret, but everyone knew about it and few people really wanted to waste a weekend not eating and sleeping without a tent. The creepiest thing though was all the weaving of native folklore and poo poo. At night I had sit though an hour or two of that poo poo around a campfire. I cannot tell you how uncomfortable it is to see a fat white guy talk about native mythology while wearing a stereotypical feathered headdress.

Basically there's no end to how weird the Scouting program is (Boys anyways, I hear Girl Scouts are pretty awesome), which has a lot to with the organization being hijacked by a lot of churches.
I remember having to go through a cross over in the boy scouts, but at least we had a legit Native American for that who was cool, but I bet he was making up some bullshit that our group were now spirit brothers

inkblot posted:

The pyramids were giant public works projects made by non-slaves. Now, this isn't to say that everything was peaches and cream - it was still back breaking labor that lead to most of the workers having short lives fraught with arthritis - but Pharaoh wasn't exactly dumping on Moses and co. the whole time.
I mean its probably why it also took 37 years to make since they only did it when the farmers couldn't work on the fields.

Its all just dumb racist bullshit that the ancients were stupid when year after year we keep finding out just how intelligent and innovative these civilizations were.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 16, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

This still makes no goddamn sense and why does he bring attention to that fact?

Winslow has the memory of a goddamn goldfish.

Panel One: "SHE'S TERRIBLE AVOID HER AT ALL COSTS"
Panel Two: "Why are you avoiding her?!?!?!?!?!?"

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

FishBulb posted:

Boy Scouts have a thing called Order of the Arrow which is pretty god drat embarrassing.

Yeah, there's that, but the Boy Scouts tend to co-opt the gently caress out of anything Native American possible. Maybe this was more pronounced in areas that were evacuated by the Trail of Tears, I don't know, but;

I was a Scout in Mississippi. The district I was in was the Chickasaw Council (which includes an Order of the Arrow lodge), so already they're grabbing a name from one of the cultures that controlled the area before they all got killed then displaced. We met in a church and heard all about the idyllic life the Natives lived akin to that that Jesus intended (even though they were godless savages). If you could think of a stupid faux-Native American decoration, that's what we used on every goddamn thing. Rawhide and plastic beads on walking sticks, lines with brightly colored paint on plywood to make boxes for carrying stuff, feathers everywhere, etc. I remember trying to paint a feather on my Pinewood Derby car.

The camp that was used for weekend activities primarily for my area of the Council was Camp Tallaha, which has apparently been sold recently (bonus points for that being noted on Freep and the next post worrying about the Gay Menace of the ACLU). There were totem poles, teepees, the camp had its own totem we got to hear about though gently caress all if I remember what it was. The gift shop sold a metric ton of vaguely Native American crap alongside its crystal radio kits and fire starters. We fetishized bear claws, we made toy tomahawks, we learned about Injun Lore (that likely had nothing to do with actual Native American mythology).

I remember one of our times there involved Real Live Indians that amounted to a man, his wife, and one of their siblings from the reservations a few hours south who came to sing songs for us, play Real Native Drums, and show us how to make flatbread on a heated rock. Then we painted Indian things on a tarp that would be used as part of our bivouac another day. I remember this part specifically because I painted an Apache helicopter and when told that wasn't Indian, argued in my 7 year old logic how that was as justified as painting an arrowhead or a bear or tomahawk or whatever.

e: Oh, gently caress, I forgot about being a Webelo Scout, which was an intermediate step between Cub Scout and Boy Scout. It's defined by Wiktionary as;

Wiktionary posted:

An invented term that originated in the Boy Scouts of America c. 1954. The Bear Cub Scout Book of 1954 claims that "Webelo" is an American Indian tribe of which Akela is chief, and that the name comes from "Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout." The rank of Lion Scout was later dropped, but the terms "Webelo" and "Webelos" were kept. Through folk etymology, it is now commonly stated that the term derives from "we'll be loyal Scouts," although this was not the term's original meaning.

If I still knew where my scout handbook was I would look this up in it, but either way, there's that fake Indian mythology put in writing.

Content:

Mississippi is a shithole and pays its teachers 2nd worst in the country because learning is for gayosexual ivy liberals.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 16, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

loquacius posted:

What was the story behind the adoption court case thing that came up a couple times in the Marty Two Bulls cartoons?

There's a law, the Indian Child Welfare Act, that protects Native American children from being taken away from their parents. The law was intended to prevent cases of children being forcibly removed from their families, which happened far too often in the past. In this case the baby's mother gave her up for adoption, and the estranged father tried to establish custody under the ICWA. The Supreme Court reversed a lower court ruling and essentially ruled that the baby's biological father never had custody and couldn't contest the adoption.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Manuel Calavera posted:

Oh thank gently caress I'm not the only one who thought that. It always weirded me out.

I don't know anybody that didn't think that. Maybe it was just our local chapter but holy poo poo.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

There's a law, the Indian Child Welfare Act, that protects Native American children from being taken away from their parents. The law was intended to prevent cases of children being forcibly removed from their families, which happened far too often in the past. In this case the baby's mother gave her up for adoption, and the estranged father tried to establish custody under the ICWA. The Supreme Court reversed a lower court ruling and essentially ruled that the baby's biological father never had custody and couldn't contest the adoption.

It's worth noting that the Supreme Court did not decide who gets the child, only that ICWA did not apply to the case. It is still up to the Oklahoma courts to decide what is in the "best interests of the child", which will include considering the fact that the child has been in the father's custody for several years based on the lower courts' rulings.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

How embarrassing, yet another liberal cartoonist warping a famous quotation in order to call Obama God. Enough with the cheerleading, guy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Seriously, how can anyone look at those giant, puckered purple lips and not see anything but a deep-seated racism?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Matt Bors added a new cartoonist to "The Nib", an editorial cartoon collective that he edits. His name is Jon Rosenberg.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

Seriously, how can anyone look at those giant, puckered purple lips and not see anything but a deep-seated racism?

Being racist themselves?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Gee Rorus Raz you have this visceral reaction to seeing a purple-lipped black man

Perhaps it is YOU who is the real racist

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pththya-lyi posted:

Gee Rorus Raz you have this visceral reaction to seeing a purple-lipped black man

Perhaps it is YOU who is the real racist

I'm just drawing a generic cartoon, you're the one connecting a feature to his race.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mister Beeg posted:

Matt Bors added a new cartoonist to "The Nib", an editorial cartoon collective that he edits. His name is Jon Rosenberg.

Jon Rosenberg is cool whenever he isn't talking about religion, at which point he becomes annoying. He has some r/atheism tendencies.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mister Beeg posted:

What's the deal with all those straightburger fans? Maybe *stiffles laughter* maybe they all just secretly want to eat them ~GAYBURGERS~, am I right? Those big homophobes are all big homos themselves, guys! THAT'S IRONIC ISN'T IT? :haw:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Autumncomet posted:

Continuing my speed through his archives (he hasn't emailed me back about the broken images on his website), Marty Two Bulls 2013. :toot: I'm glad you guys like him so far.

For some reason I thought there would be more Idle No More cartoons. A lot of the ones I left out were warnings about diabetes and alcoholism, two unfortunately common problems through Indian country.

Thanks for these. I don't think very many people know or understand about modern day native problems beyond "lol alcoholism", it's really loving depressing.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Mister Beeg posted:

I've run into this guys web comic, and I advise people to ignore him. Here I'll give you the synopsis of 99% of all of his comics:

Guy A "As a religious/stupid/political person I sure am an idiot."

Guy B "Are you sure?"

Guy A "Oh yeah a total raving moron. No one should ever endorse my religion/general stupidity/political idea."

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBulb posted:

I don't know anybody that didn't think that. Maybe it was just our local chapter but holy poo poo.

Nah, a lot of guys in my Troop were real into it. And my Scoutmaster tried to push me towards it a few times. Uncle too. Funny thing, said Scoutmaster didn't want to sign off on my Eagle because "I didn't show enough Scout Spirit." even though I went to all the meetings, I just didn't go on campouts.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The middle aged and baby boomers would kill their own children/grand kids in a fight to the death if given the chance. Yeah that sounds about right.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sometimes Rosenberg does some really bland atheism comics, and that seems to be a product of him taking the hate mail from Christians a little too seriously. He lets the spite bleed into his work a little too much sometimes, but his artwork is nice and I look forward to his Nib stuff.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also: "This artist sure does love telling instead of showing!" "That's right, Tony. Look at these multiple panels of two guys in a 70s news studio describing multiple sentences of action that would be much better suited to being drawn! There must be four of those suckers!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Obama is God, and a cruel one: an Idolatrous Maltheist cartoon.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sweet mercy look at those lips- this is so bad I would guess he was trying to troll liberals again if we didn't already know what a big fucker he is.

Actually I can never really tell with Glenn.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah the lips make me a little angry every time I see them so I try to just scroll past McCoy at this point.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Come on, this thing is this close to being a drat Kelly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

drat, I love Marty Two Bulls. It's great to get a very different perspective and a very different set of issues, especially from someone who actually has a fair amount of talent.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah the lips make me a little angry every time I see them so I try to just scroll past McCoy at this point.
It's also a set of issues that REALLY needs more attention. Our native population is all but ignored as if life on the reservation is just peachy keen now in this Obama post-racism society.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Rorus Raz posted:

It's also a set of issues that REALLY needs more attention. Our native population is all but ignored as if life on the reservation is just peachy keen now in this Obama post-racism society.

Hell, it wasn't until last year that they made an effort to fix the problem of outsiders coming onto reservations and raping women with basically no legal repercussions.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't think any of us needed Obama's help to ignore indigenous issues, unless there's a third lever on the oval office desk I don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
On the Order of the Arrow business: It's worth noting that the degree of abuse varies from troop to troop. The groups I belonged to when I lived out in the Southwest were pretty terrible. The ones I attended when I was really young, on the East coast, had scrubbed the ceremonies and material of everything but there being an arrow involved. The Cub Scout materials were still talking wolves and fake native stuff, but that was handed down at the national level, so there wasn't much they could do about it (they didn't spend any time on those parts of the guidebook). There was no quasi-native stuff in those troops: why learn how to make a teepee when you could be learning car repair and how different systems of proportional representation work?
Much like Catholic churches, although the large scale of the BSA is presented as a monolithic and culturally conservative organization, there's a spectrum of expressed viewpoints at the lower levels.

• Locked thread