Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
We cancel shows because not enough boys who buy toys watch them but we see nothing wrong with diluting a major franchise like Justice League by constantly releasing home videos that are each wildly different from each other and completely unrelated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Isn't the Tme Trapper a Legion villain? That could explain why out of every possible DC character they chose loving Karate Kid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

We cancel shows because not enough boys who buy toys watch them but we see nothing wrong with diluting a major franchise like Justice League by constantly releasing home videos that are each wildly different from each other and completely unrelated!

And also are hot, hot garbage.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Lurdiak posted:

And also are hot, hot garbage.

I thought some of them were decent.:shrug:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DC's direct the video animated films are pretty mediocre a lot of the time but c'mon they aren't Young Justice levels of terrible.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I don't even think Young Justice was that bad. It just... bit off more it could chew, plotwise.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Episode to episode it was fine. But I've never seen a show that more needed to be less serial.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I feel that young justice had it's problems but they were massively overstated, at least for the first season.

Some of them weren't even problems, like brent spiner's joker. He was terrible, yeah, but one of the most overexposed characters ever appearing in a bit part of one episode does not drat the entire series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think never being interesting or fun for even one second is a pretty big flaw for a show to have.

I tend to be too harsh on the direct-to-video DC movies because I keep comparing them to JLU or the comics they're based on, I guess. They just feel kinda... lacking.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On the topic of Young Justice, for me what did it was that the characters were simply not that interesting in the first season and kept screwing up by hiding secrets and poo poo, then the season finale starts rolling out and they all realize this and work together and drat I'm finally liking these kids even if they beat up Batman and Superman kinda fast and started making out because reasons. Then season 2 rolls in and we get a ton of new characters dumped in and everyone from the last season has even more ridiculous issues or set up their lying and dickery into overdrive.

I think the last episode I saw properly was the "Remember Grundy from that super awesome JLU episode? Lets do that again!"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

Episode to episode it was fine. But I've never seen a show that more needed to be less serial.

Yeah, no kidding.

Especially with the rumors about the writers having planned for the main story to last 7 seasons.

I mean that would have been pretty cool, but it is pretty dang stupid to write your story under the assumption you'll get way more seasons than the average show.

The standalone episodes tended to be the best, and for good reasons. Besides introducing a problem that they could actually solve for good, not having said episode end with The Light talking about how everything went according to plan was also a point in favor of standalone episodes.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

On the topic of Young Justice, for me what did it was that the characters were simply not that interesting in the first season and kept screwing up by hiding secrets and poo poo, then the season finale starts rolling out and they all realize this and work together and drat I'm finally liking these kids even if they beat up Batman and Superman kinda fast and started making out because reasons. Then season 2 rolls in and we get a ton of new characters dumped in and everyone from the last season has even more ridiculous issues or set up their lying and dickery into overdrive.

Yeah I think the main issue with the show is that it expected the audience to care about a bunch of plot threads, but it didn't properly develop its characters.

With the DTV DC movies, longer run times would definitely help, but I read somewhere that wasn't possible. I think it had something to do having a limited budget for each movie.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm just getting into YJ at the moment, on the Dr. Fate episode. I always thought people were overplaying the excess of 'hello megan' but jesus christ it's maddening.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm just getting into YJ at the moment, on the Dr. Fate episode. I always thought people were overplaying the excess of 'hello megan' but jesus christ it's maddening.

It gets better. Sort of...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First Look at Son of Batman:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Son-of-Batman-First-Look-1076369.aspx

The animation reminds me of YJ and the guy voicing Batman sounds way better than on the JL:War clips released so far. Interestingly, it doesn't seem a straight adaptation of Morrison's story.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The animation reminds me of YJ and the guy voicing Batman sounds way better than on the JL:War clips released so far. Interestingly, it doesn't seem a straight adaptation of Morrison's story.

That looks worlds better than JL:War.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with WB Animation is that they insist on getting "name" actors for their movies even when that person isn't a good fit.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with WB Animation is that they insist on getting "name" actors for their movies even when that person isn't a good fit.
"Hey, fans loved it when we cast an actor from Breaking Bad, let's try that again!"

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Who the gently caress decided to start calling Ra's Al Ghul "Raish"? I think it started with Under the Red Hood, and it aggravates me far more than it should.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Who the gently caress decided to start calling Ra's Al Ghul "Raish"? I think it started with Under the Red Hood, and it aggravates me far more than it should.

Did you miss the entire thing that was Batman the Animated Series?

And that looks like utter poo poo. It says inspired by but it looks like they're just massively reworking the story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chaos Hippy posted:

Pretty sure Nolan did it in Batman Begins too, iirc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

"Hey, fans loved it when we cast an actor from Breaking Bad, let's try that again!"

Hey, Cranston made an excellent Gordon and I will not hear anything otherwise :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TwoPair posted:

Pretty sure Nolan did it in Batman Begins too, iirc.

Nope.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think that O'Neil actually thought it was pronounced Raysh.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
To be honest, I'd kill for a Deathstroke voiced by Manu Bennet :allears:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The story looks like it was written by someone that read half of the blurb on the back of the trade and then filled in the rest on their own. Voice-acting aside, I think this is the first release of these kinds I'm going to flat out skip.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Chaos Hippy posted:

Nah it was a bit earlier than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p9MwsUo7Us

The Son of Batman thing looks alright. I think they understand that the fundamental core mechanic of Damian's character is and should always be a metaphor for the child of two separated parents. And that regardless for their feelings for each other, they love their child. Now you can have a lot of variations on that (how it's hard for Bruce to express that love or how Dick appears he'd be a better father when really he's just a Big Brother or Uncle, but not Father) but they seem to understand that.

And frankly Grant Morrison stories are good to be inspired by, but I don't think any of his non-Superman or JLA stuff are really capable of being straight up adapted to film.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 20, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wait season two of YJ is a time skip? What is going on :psyduck:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Chaos Hippy posted:

There's a line by Talia in Arkham City where she says something like "Yeah, a lot of people think his name is pronounced 'Rahz,' but it's actually 'Raishe.'"

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Kingtheninja posted:

Wait season two of YJ is a time skip? What is going on :psyduck:

A lot of people hated the time skip in the cartoon but I really thought it worked well. It's really sad that the whole universe they created is getting tossed aside, there was so much potential for interesting stories. They've released 2 stories that happen in the 5 year gap between seasons.

There's a 6 issue comic miniseries also called Young Justice: Invasion that touches on a bit of what happened just before the season began. I think it just got collected into a trade, definitely worth hunting down.

There's also a video game, Young Justice: Legacy that tells another story of some stuff that happened as well. Same writers and voices as the show and there are some parts to the story. But the game is really poorly put together and glitchy as hell. The only way they plan to continue the story into a 3rd season is through more video games since this company has the license, but since this one is so god awful I think we're out of luck.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Well, poo poo. I was certain I remembered him being called "Rahz" in the animated series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

There's a line by Talia in Arkham City where she says something like "Yeah, a lot of people think his name is pronounced 'Rahz,' but it's actually 'Raishe.'"

On Arrow they pronounce it 'Rahz' like the Nolan movies. Although its obviously not supposed to be the same person, mostly because in Arrow its the League of Assassins.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Honestly it didn't sound that much better to me considering Batman is voiced by the same guy doing JL: War.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Speaking of Ra's and Young Justice I really like that they got the guy from the Mummy Movies to voice him. Its always hard to listen to Deathstroke, because I just love the Ron Perlman version so much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

muscles like this? posted:

On Arrow they pronounce it 'Rahz' like the Nolan movies. Although its obviously not supposed to be the same person, mostly because in Arrow its the League of Assassins.

Other then the Nolan films and Arrow it's pronounced Raish everywhere else.

Sockser posted:

Batman Beyond actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j88bUiNd8vA

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Other then the Nolan films and Arrow it's pronounced Raish everywhere else.

Batman Beyond actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j88bUiNd8vA

Then it got weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_wrUs2SEZE

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Not to interrupt Batchat, but I hit upon something the other week. If you ignore the anime series they did (and who wouldn't), it's been almost five years since we've had an X-Men cartoon. But not for a lack of interest during that time - we've had the Wolverine movies, X-Men First Class, and now the new Days of Future Past one.

Admittedly I would rather that Marvel's animation division not touch the X-Men with a fifty foot pole considering what an atrocious pile of poo poo all their other cartoons are at present, but I'm genuinely curious why they haven't bothered trying to market the ever-loving gently caress out of one of their more popular properties.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Just watched Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. What a pointlessly nihilistic waste of animation.

Showing a dark, dystopian future is one thing, but gratuitously showing the death of nearly every single superhero in bloody detail is just so wrong I can't even begin to explain it. And when Wonder Woman murdered a kid, it took every ounce of strength I had not to shut it off right there.
Honestly I have to think that Geoff Johns wrote this as some sort of indictment of grimdark comicbook storytelling, but I don't think he's possible of that kind of introspection. This movie is actually a perfect summation of the DiDio/Johns/Lee era, and why I stopped reading DC years ago.

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?? :psyduck:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

There's a trailer/announcement of Marvel’s Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher an anime adventure in anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXcD3ZOiox0

quote:

“After interfering with a top secret mission, The Punisher is taken into custody by S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and Avenger Black Widow. At the orders of Director Nick Fury, Punisher and Black Widow are sent on a mission to stop Leviathan, a global terrorist organization that plans to sell stolen S.H.I.E.L.D. technology to the highest bidder. Now, the vigilante and spy must work together to prevent this technology from falling into the wrong hands. The fate of the world, and of the Avengers, hangs in the balance.”

source

It has fauxhawk Captain Marvel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Nice to see Carol taking anime hair fashion tips from Franky.

• Locked thread