Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Ok, so I accidentally created and uploaded a low-quality version of the next episode. Since it's a few days late already, I'll post it for viewing now, it's actually not terrible-looking, but there will be a higher quality version coming in about 8 hours. This post and the OP will be edited to reflect that fact when it happens, but until then, enjoy this version if it doesn't bother you terribly!

EDIT: Full quality achieved!

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Dear god this game is dirty. Not just gore, but just crap is just on everything. Also, it was written by 13 year olds, but in a good way. It's just depressing that three videos in we've already seen most of what this game has to offer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The 2d sections were entertaining on my second walktrhough (since on my first I didn't knew what the gently caress I was doing). And you just blew my mind, I thought that you needed to upgrade on the order showed on the menu never crossed my mind the idea of buying upgrades on the order I wanted :v:

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I'm actually enjoying this. Jim Cummings seems to honestly be having as much fun as could be had with such a limited script, and the game really does seem to revere the original games with the game play, but also try to modernize the game for today's shorter attention spans.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, this is definitely strangely enjoyable, and, as much as I'm not sure I should be saying this, there are bits of good writing in among the silliness! No less silly than the rest, but noticable because they make you go "Hell yes, schlock B movie!" rather than "Nyuh huh, I already know you're only doing this to space out the murder..."

Jim definitely brings character to this evil mask, especially with the speech about the Corrupted. One of the few things, it seems, to put a murder-mask in sheer awe (with a hint of pants-wetting terror.)

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I know the game-play is hardly airtight but I can really appreciate what they were going for. I especially love the level aesthetics.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, I played this when it was new, and the Mask's dialogue is one of the things that made me see it through to the end.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The bit where the Mask describes the Corrupted was actually really well-written. Surprisingly poetic.

And Fiendly, if you need a guest for the classic games (surprisingly, I've never actually played this version), give me a shout. I think I've outed myself as a Splatterhistorian, so it only seems right.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The game looks like it is crapping itself with these glitches.
The A in Aegis is silent. Wasn't surprised to know what its gimmick was by the name.
Kind of sad you falling into pits didn't open up a basement stage.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Just my opinion but the "Monkey Guys" of level 3 remind me a helluva lot of Sammael from the first Hellboy movie. Probably intentional from the looks of it too.

AbbadonOfHell fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 18, 2013

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Really enjoying watching this game, although I know I would hate playing it.

Jim Cummings does a really great job all things considered, and probably is the main saving grace of the game.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I was a little disappointed with the whole Eldritch-enemy thing, it seems to be the go-to for most big bads in games and media nowadays. Just having a crazy-rear end immortal rear end in a top hat torturing folks for fun and profit would have been enough for me, but it's a pretty minor thing. I'm still really curious to learn more about the mask itself, and where it fits into everything, ie, why it's helping Rick to throw a wrench in the old ones' plans.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

McKilligan posted:

I was a little disappointed with the whole Eldritch-enemy thing, it seems to be the go-to for most big bads in games and media nowadays. Just having a crazy-rear end immortal rear end in a top hat torturing folks for fun and profit would have been enough for me, but it's a pretty minor thing. I'm still really curious to learn more about the mask itself, and where it fits into everything, ie, why it's helping Rick to throw a wrench in the old ones' plans.

You're in for a treat then, while simplistic I found the story very engaging and really well thought for the genre... and now I'm sad because I want a sequel :smith:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You're in for a treat then, while simplistic I found the story very engaging and really well thought for the genre... and now I'm sad because I want a sequel :smith:

In the game's defense it did try to have a story that wasn't just 'guy smashes monsters and saves girl' but without spoiling anything I think it didn't try hard enough and also tried too hard. I know griping about a game is pointless, but certain 'humanizing' elements regarding the relationship between whatshisnuts and his girlfriend could have been left out without harming the overall plot. I did like the development of the doctor's character though.

I'm just bummed because I want a sequel that will probably never happen.

All my bitching aside it's been fun watching you slog through this game, Fiendly. I definitely made my playthrough harder by picking upgrades that weren't worth it, and I had no idea you didn't have to pick them in a linear fashion.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And Fiendly, if you need a guest for the classic games (surprisingly, I've never actually played this version), give me a shout. I think I've outed myself as a Splatterhistorian, so it only seems right.

Awesome, I was going to ask you eventually. The Splatterhouse 1 finale is coming up which should be perfect. Add me on Skype (FiendlySA) and I'll give you the details as I come to know them myself.

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Just my opinion but the "Monkey Guys" of level 3 remind me a helluva lot of Sammael from the first Hellboy movie. Probably intentional from the looks of it too.

Good call, this probably is the origin, or at least both monsters likely have the same origin.

McKilligan posted:

The whole Corrupted thing fits in very well with the Lovecraftian nature of everything else in the game, almost to the point of being necessity. Yeah, they could have steered away from the source material if they wanted, but their twist on it (which we'll be getting a better sense of in coming levels) is already pretty interesting, no need to spice things up with a complete excision of the foundation of what Lovecraft's stories are based on. Plus it lead to that great soliloquy from the mask that everyone enjoyed so much, so it's worth it for that alone.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Lovecraft's stories are based on a fear of black men dating white women and I haven't seen any of that in the game yet though?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Lovecraft's stories are based on a fear of black men dating white women and I haven't seen any of that in the game yet though?

That's mostly Dreams in the Witch House and that story about the guy who finds out one of his ancestors is literally some kind of ape-man and incinerates himself with a can of gas. Okay maybe also The Shadow Over Innsmouth too. Point is there are entire Lovecraft stories where the monster probably isn't an allegory for black people!

Not that Lovecraft wasn't a huge racist because yeah not going to argue that at all.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 19, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just pointing out that in Herbert West - Reanimator, the narrator can't tell if a corpse with a girl's arm dangling from it's maw is a zombie or not because black people already look and reek of the grave and why wouldn't one just begin devouring a child?!?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Just pointing out that in Herbert West - Reanimator, the narrator can't tell if a corpse with a girl's arm dangling from it's maw is a zombie or not because black people already look and reek of the grave and why wouldn't one just begin devouring a child?!?

Oh yeah, and there's also the cat's name in The Rats in the Walls.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
And the name of the cat in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, which is the first syllable of the one from Rats. Splatterhouse is at least much less overtly racist and actually includes a female character (only partially for fanservice), making it immeasurably more tolerant of people bearing any faint dissimilarity to its writer than anything Lovecraft ever did.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Splatterhouse doesn't really have room to be racist, because you really only have four characters and they're all white (unless you somehow imagine the Mask is some other ethnicity in which case forge on!). Which is really for the better, because sometimes you just want to splat some baddies.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

Splatterhouse doesn't really have room to be racist, because you really only have four characters and they're all white (unless you somehow imagine the Mask is some other ethnicity in which case forge on!). Which is really for the better, because sometimes you just want to splat some baddies.

The mask is Aztec. Does that count? :v:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Considering that it would be the second South American Blood God Cummings has voiced for a video game, yeah. Yeah that counts.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The mask is Aztec. Does that count? :v:

Shared continuity with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure confirmed.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Mortal Sword posted:

Shared continuity with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure confirmed.

Our hero certainly sucks up enough blood and endures enough punishment to be a vampire. Remind me though, when was the Mask noted as being Aztec in origin?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AccidentalHipster posted:

Our hero certainly sucks up enough blood and endures enough punishment to be a vampire. Remind me though, when was the Mask noted as being Aztec in origin?

In the episode four of this game (ie, next episode) iirc, the mask never had a definite origin on the original games.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The bit where the Mask describes the Corrupted was actually really well-written. Surprisingly poetic.

Yeah, the Mask is kind of weird here, whipping between shell-shocked survivor and gleeful psychopath.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
BONUS:
Journal 1-5

The LP's finally back! This is just a little extra content that I realized I was supposed to post along with the last video, but the Splatterhouse 1 finale and the next level of the remake will be up this week, with weekly remake updates and hopefully semiweekly classic updates to follow. For now, check out yet another unexpectedly good thing about the remake and the depths of Lovecraft plagiarism they were willing to sink to to achieve such quality in this first Journal video!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Fiendly posted:

BONUS:
Journal 1-5

The LP's finally back! This is just a little extra content that I realized I was supposed to post along with the last video, but the Splatterhouse 1 finale and the next level of the remake will be up this week, with weekly remake updates and hopefully semiweekly classic updates to follow. For now, check out yet another unexpectedly good thing about the remake and the depths of Lovecraft plagiarism they were willing to sink to to achieve such quality in this first Journal video!

Glad to see you/your computer aren't dead!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fiendly posted:

For now, check out yet another unexpectedly good thing about the remake and the depths of Lovecraft plagiarism they were willing to sink to to achieve such quality in this first Journal video!
Yeah, that was surprisingly good, and ties into the 'plot' fairly well. It's strange how the game's writing really shines out in some areas. Relatively speaking!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Fiendly posted:

For now, check out yet another unexpectedly good thing about the remake and the depths of Lovecraft plagiarism they were willing to sink to to achieve such quality in this first Journal video!

Well that's what happens when your work is all public domain :v:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE:

The last episode of Splatterhouse Arcade in which I am joined by Kaboom Dragoon!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well I know I'm extra excited for the next game in the series. The Famicom Splatterhouse is balls out goofy-crazy. And chock full of movie references. Don't forget to show off the hidden ending!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Choco1980 posted:

Well I know I'm extra excited for the next game in the series. The Famicom Splatterhouse is balls out goofy-crazy. And chock full of movie references. Don't forget to show off the hidden ending!

Did Wanpaku Grafitti come bundled in here? I thought it was just the original trilogy :confused:

Great videos! Specially those regarding West's journal, the developers really worked hard to gave this game a solid background.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Did Wanpaku Grafitti come bundled in here? I thought it was just the original trilogy :confused:

I'll be playing Wanpaku Graffiti on an emulator, it wasn't on the remake disk unfortunately.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Games back then enjoyed having you kill the heart of something.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Thanks for showing off the journal, that easter egg that West was told by the "angel" was especially neat.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Hope this was worth the wait! If not, another should be up this Saturday... I mean SPLATTERDAY!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
This game is doing well in ramping up how metal it is with gore. Although poo poo man, those "chairs" :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The fight against the Biggy Man is awesome as gently caress :black101:

The mask got some pretty awesome lines in this level but that is par of the course :allears:

• Locked thread