Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Alan Smithee posted:

Nobody is ever ready for Pinwheel

Everyone plays it wrong. You're supposed to bare-knuckle box Pinwheel.

You could also just give him a 1 minute head start to get his stuff going too before going to town on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The bonewheels are the real boss of the Catacombs.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

docbeard posted:

The bonewheels are the real boss of the Catacombs.

What's terrifying is that there can be gravelord bone wheels. I'm playing through dark aggro-gravelord souls and I am dreading going to the catacombs and the painted world.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dark Souls 2 Giant Bonewheel

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

Alan Smithee posted:

Dark Souls 2 Giant Bonewheel

Made of smaller bonewheels. Instead of cutting off its tail, you constantly cut off bonewheels that are in turn made of even smaller bonewheels.

It's bonewheels all the way down.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A giant skeleton riding a tricycle of bonewheels. I think I would die laughing

YOU DIED

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Cool Dogs Only posted:

Today when I was fighting a boss, some strange blue electricity started coming from my right hand and I have no idea what it was. Does anyone know? The only weapons I had equipped were Quelaag's fury sword and my pyromancy flame.

In the last animation of a full combo attack of Quelaag's, I usually see some smoke/flame/etc effect coming from where my hand meets the blade's handle. Don't recall it being blue though (more of a smoky fiery type of particle), might that have been what you saw?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do I determine where the back is on enemies when they're flailing around, like when Black Knights swing their sword around?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Look for the back before they swing. Imagine the actual swinging motion to be purely graphical, their hitbox is still "standing" in the same place.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was just about to go fight gargoyles when some rear end in a top hat invaded and infected me with egghead thingy.
Last time that happened I just restarted the game but this time I managed to get Black Knight Shield, Black Knight Sowrd and Black Knight Halberd and I really don't want to restart again after I got this amazing gear.

What's the fastest way to get an Egg Vermifuge? Maybe there's a way to cheat for that item somehow?
I really don't want that thing sapping my boss souls rewards.

p1ngas
Jan 2, 2014

Let me be your guide.

Jack Trades posted:

I was just about to go fight gargoyles when some rear end in a top hat invaded and infected me with egghead thingy.
Last time that happened I just restarted the game but this time I managed to get Black Knight Shield, Black Knight Sowrd and Black Knight Halberd and I really don't want to restart again after I got this amazing gear.

What's the fastest way to get an Egg Vermifuge? Maybe there's a way to cheat for that item somehow?

Kill snakes in the forest.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

e: Wait no the above was right.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Couldn't a goon just drop some off for you?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

How do I determine where the back is on enemies when they're flailing around, like when Black Knights swing their sword around?
Watch their feet. When they step forward to slash, they'll leave one foot where it was, and you orient yourself by that. Either that or circle them close as you can, and stab them as they're settling back into posture after striking.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Beat Quelaag. Also it doesn't matter that much, don't worry about it.

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

What boss was this? Nothing like that should ever happen :stare:

It was when I was fighting Seath.

sushibandit posted:

In the last animation of a full combo attack of Quelaag's, I usually see some smoke/flame/etc effect coming from where my hand meets the blade's handle. Don't recall it being blue though (more of a smoky fiery type of particle), might that have been what you saw?

That might've been it. Maybe I thought the smoke looked like little electric sparks. And they stayed there for I think around 10+ seconds and trailed around as I strafed, so I thought it was some kind of status effect. I'll try recreating it later.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

New Londo Ruins are pissing me off.

That whole drat place is just death drops and cramped corridors.
Ghosts out in the air, one wrong swing and you fall to your death.
Ghosts spawning in flanking position on both sides of you, partially inside walls making swings not even being a guarantee to hit them.

Even knowing where all the ghosts are there are incredibly little room for mistakes and I'm being forced to play overly-cautiously, backtracking all the time to draw away ghosts one by one.

So god drat frustrating.

p1ngas
Jan 2, 2014

Let me be your guide.

Jack Trades posted:

So god drat frustrating.

I can definitley agree. Most of the time now, I don't even bother trying to talk to ingward. I just shoot him down.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Yeah, my latest run I was generally doing things pretty fast, but trying to run past the ghosts was a bad, bad idea. As soon as I slowed down, I was murdered by the dozen-strong omni-ghost they had all coalesced into.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Was there ever a solution found for the person who had the game crash consistently whenever they unlocked the framerate using DSfix? Because I'm having the same issue. (It's a minor annoyance, as I don't have any real performance issues without the framerates unlocked, but I still would have liked to have tried it.)

And yes, I have antialiasing turned off in the game. On Windows 7 with a Radeon 7850, if that makes any difference.

Yeah, apparently it's sometimes impossible to fix this issue without a clean re-install of Windows, if the Data Execution Prevention exception solution doesn't work. I've tried every suggestion I have found for the DSFix FPS unlock crash, but none of them work for me. It's really annoying since I get perfectly decent FPS until any particle effects appear, which causes my fps to drop to 10-15, and apparently that's because the game locks fps to 15 if there are any particle effects on screen (this may be hearsay, but that seems to be the commonly held belief).

p1ngas
Jan 2, 2014

Let me be your guide.

PublicOpinion posted:

Yeah, my latest run I was generally doing things pretty fast, but trying to run past the ghosts was a bad, bad idea. As soon as I slowed down, I was murdered by the dozen-strong omni-ghost they had all coalesced into.

That's why you run to the safe spot, and then quit the game to reload and reset the aggro.

Cheating? Maybe. But that place is annoying enough for me not to care. :smuggo:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

p1ngas posted:

I can definitley agree. Most of the time now, I don't even bother trying to talk to ingward. I just shoot him down.

The worst thing is that since this is the farthest I've ever gotten, I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to do in New Londo Ruins but it seems like it's the only place I haven't visited yet and it seems like I'm supposed to go there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jack Trades posted:

The worst thing is that since this is the farthest I've ever gotten, I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to do in New Londo Ruins but it seems like it's the only place I haven't visited yet and it seems like I'm supposed to go there.

Have you been to Anor Londo already? If you haven't then New Londo isn't where you need to be at this point on a first playthrough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Have you been to Anor Londo already? If you haven't then New Londo isn't where you need to be at this point on a first playthrough.

Is it behind that 20000 soulbux locked door in the woods? Because unless I missed something that's the only other place I haven't been to with my current character.

p1ngas
Jan 2, 2014

Let me be your guide.

Jack Trades posted:

Is it behind that 20000 soulbux locked door in the woods? Because unless I missed something that's the only other place I haven't been to with my current character.

Tip: You're missing something. You've rung both bells right?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah uh, by the time you're supposed to go to New Londo, the 20k souls for the crest are chump change. I think you're missing something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

p1ngas posted:

Tip: You're missing something. You've rung both bells right?

Now that I think about it, there are lots of places I haven't been to yet but all other paths I can't think of have monsters that'll just crush me.

Where should I be looking for a second bell? I already defeated gargoyles.

p1ngas
Jan 2, 2014

Let me be your guide.

Jack Trades posted:

Now that I think about it, there are lots of places I haven't been to yet but all other paths I can't think of have monsters that'll just crush me.

Well I'll just give you a tiny tip: By where you first met solaire, there was a locked door. Head over there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

It's at the very bottom of Blighttown. You should've gotten a "Basement Key" from the Undead Parish that unlocks a door opposite to where you first walk onto the bridge with the Wyvern in the Burg. That'll eventually lead you to the Depths, and then to Blighttown.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

As you've probably heard from the crestfallen warrior at Firelink, the second bell is way down in Blighttown.

How to get there? Well, you should have picked a Basement Key in the Parish by now, read the description on that to get an idea where to go next.

efb :argh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

p1ngas posted:

Well I'll just give you a tiny tip: By where you first met solaire, there was a locked door. Head over there.

I cleared that place already, except for the Capra Demon. Should he be my next target?
I've been in Depths on an other character but I haven't found the second bell there.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

My general advice is to read all item descriptions, especially keys. Specifically, you should have a key that tells you go go where p1ngas just posted.

edit:

Jack Trades posted:

I cleared that place already, except for the Capra Demon. Should he be my next target?
I've been in Depths on an other character but I haven't found the second bell there.

The Depths is not a dead end so if you haven't found the area on the other end of that, then you need to explore further.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, go kill the Capra Demon.

The second bell is not in the Depths, it's in Blighttown.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Yes, go kill the Capra Demon.

The second bell is not in the Depths, it's in Blighttown.

Ah, thanks.

EDIT: I think there's a way to get to Blighttown from a "secret" door in New Londo Ruins. I used it to run in and snatch that cool red mage'ey armor at the start of this run.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 17, 2014

p1ngas
Jan 2, 2014

Let me be your guide.

Jack Trades posted:

Ah, thanks.

EDIT: I think there's a way to get to Blighttown from a "secret" door in New Londo Ruins. I used it to run in and snatch that cool red mage'ey armor at the start of this run.

well if every enemy you encounter is "kicking your rear end" like you are saying, the souls/levels and battle experience from the depths might help you out later.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of the Capra Demon, it's nice to see that even if you manage to get lucky on your first playthrough and score a Black Knight Sword from the Burg and then kill everything on the first attempt, good old Capra is there to provide a reality check. I had a friend over yesterday and he started his first playthrough with me giving him pointers (and occasionally trying to get him killed), and he was doing really well with his BKS and having no major trouble with anything. Then he hit the Capra Demon. :unsmigghh:

Jack Trades posted:

There is, that's the path everyone uses to get to Blighttown after their first playthrough. You can get right down there and head for the bell, although there's some stuff in the Depths you might want to get as well.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Ah, thanks.

Go back there, and keep heading down til you hit a swamp. At the swamp, look for the webs.

The cutscene after you ring the bell shows you where to go after that

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Go back there, and keep heading down til you hit a swamp. At the swamp, look for the webs.

The cutscene after you ring the bell shows you where to go after that

This is one way to go to the second bell, but like others said going via the Depths will have a gentler difficulty curve as well as a very handy treasure or two to make your coming battles easier. I'd suggest going this way for your first playthrough and leave the sequence breaks and boss skips for later.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Also if you haven't already, go back to the Northern Asylum via RavenJet and get a really useful ring for the Blighttown swamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I really don't understand the problems people have with the Capra Demon, though I have never run a purely casting-based character, so maybe that's why? I have always found it a much easier early fight than the Taurus Demon, and they're both pretty trivialised by the potential for plunging attacks anyway. I've never used the BKS that soon in the game, but surely that would make him pretty doable?

• Locked thread